Woman gets fired after uninstalling an app that tracked her 24/7

Bouzoo

I'm sorry but what? Have we finally come to a time when we have to be monitored 24/7 for our job? I don't know what to say.

A woman in California claims to have been fired from her job after uninstalling an app on her smartphone that her employer used to track her movements 24 hours a day. Myrna Arias, a former employee of money transfer firm Intermex, says she was told to keep her phone on at all times and was dismissed weeks after being "scolded" for uninstalling the app. She's now suing Intermex for violating her privacy and wrongful termination, among other allegations.

"[Arias' boss] Stubits admitted that employees would be monitored while off duty, and bragged that he knew how fast she was driving at specific moments ever since she had installed the app on her phone," reads the complaint, filed in Kern County Superior Court and spotted by ArsTechnica.

[Arias] expressed that she had no problem with the app’s GPS function during work hours, but she objected to the monitoring of her location during non-work hours," says the filing. "She likened the app to a prisoner’s ankle bracelet and informed Stubits that his actions were illegal. Stubits replied that she should tolerate the illegal intrusion because Intermix was paying [her more than her previous employer].

And she shouldn't complain because they were paying her more? Well **** ***. I really hope she wins.

The app at talk is Xora StreetSmart

xora_app2.0.jpg

d6f91faa70cdcf749fd9e15c1fbbbbd167e940bf

Edit: Few things added from more sources

Arias's lawyer, Gail Glick, told me: "Intermex's justification for firing Ms. Arias was that her boss claimed that he and Intermex had just found out that she was working for another company at the same time she worked in sales for Intermex. Ms. Arias asserts that this is false."

We will see if this is true.

This is what her lawyer said:

The app had a "clock in/out" feature which did not stop GPS monitoring, that function remained on. This is the problem about which Ms. Arias complained. Management never made mention of mileage. They would tell her co-workers and her of their driving speed, roads taken, and time spent at customer locations. Her manager made it clear that he was using the program to continuously monitor her, during company as well as personal time.

Arias' boss "scolded" her for uninstalling the app shortly after being required to use it, according to the suit. Her attorneys said the woman made $7,250 per month and that she "met all quotas" during a brief stint with Intermex last year.

If she is telling the truth she might not win the case that easily:

The idea of mandatory constant surveillance as a requisite for gainful employment is objectively creepy. Getting your whereabouts digitally tracked 24/7 by employers keen on humiliating you for your after-hours choices couldn’t sound like more of a plot point from a capitalist horror dystopia movie if Katniss farted it on a Kindle. But when employer property rights clash with employee privacy rights, it usually ends pretty well for bosses. “My property, my tracking rules,” tends to beat out reasonable expectations of privacy. That said, California has stronger regulations on phone tracking than most states, so that may work in Arias’ favor.

Sen. Al Franken (D-Minn.) introduced a bill last year called the Location Privacy Protection Act of 2014, and one of the stipulations would require companies to inform employees about how they monitor them. However, the bill didn’t get past a Senate hearing, and there’s no federal law here that will make this a slam-drunk case. We’ll have to wait and see.

Sources: 123 and 4

Edited by Bouzoo

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I think your avatar pretty much dictates the perfect response, so besides telling you that, I'm afraid I don't have anything else useful to say :/

Intel Core i5 2500K @ 3.30GHz MSI Radeon R9 290 Gaming 4G | Asus P8H61-M Evo Rev B Kingston ValueRAM KVR1333D3N9K2/8G Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B Samsung 840 Evo 512GB Seagate Barracude 7200.12 ST3500413AS, 500GB Samsung Spinpoint 1TB 5400RPM OCZ ZS Series 650W Cooler Master Elite 430 Windowed Logitech LS21 Creative Fatal1ty Logitech G500 Razer BlackWidow 2010 | 2x Dell U1214H | 1x Ilyama ProLite E2407HDS

Bull crap. The company shouldn't be watching her, that's indirectly stalking her. Holy shit, do they not know stalking is a criminal offense?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Well it depends on the job... some jobs should monitor you 24/7 really.

Even though I partially agree with you, I'm still against it. Everyone should have a right on privacy.

Call the police ... We've got a stalker ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

Even though I partially agree with you, I'm still against it. Everyone should have a right on privacy.

But safety is more important than privacy.

I completely agree!!! Better to have a safe tyranny than a dangerous freedom!

But if someone's privacy was compromised, she isn't safe, is she?

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

If this was part of her contract, monitoring her is okay (Which is probably the reason she got fired aswell). It indeed depends on her job aswell.

But if someone's privacy was compromised, she isn't safe, is she?

Yes but it won't be compromised....

If this was part of her contract, monitoring her is okay (Which is probably the reason she got fired aswell). It indeed depends on her job aswell.

Her boss said that she should tolerate the illegal intrusion, so not in her contract.

Yes but it won't be compromised....

I know but if her privacy was compromised at some point in her life, would it be safe?

Her boss said that she should tolerate the illegal intrusion, so not in her contract.

I didn't bother to read it, so didn't know that. 

Well it depends on the job... some jobs should monitor you 24/7 really.

Name three

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

The sad thing is, she will likely lose this fight. I don't know how labor laws are set up in California, but I know in quite a lot of states, employment is "at will", meaning you or your employer can terminate your employment at any time for any reason that does not violate federal labor laws (can't be fired for: being ethnic, female, etc.). This also means that if you take a job, you consent to whatever conditions (that do not violate federal laws) the employer decides upon.

Personally, I hope she wins, and takes that company for everything its worth. I would love to see all of her former colleagues quit and boycott the company over this kind of intrusion. I know If I had a boss come to me and say "install this on your phone so I can see what you are doing at any given moment" I'd say "No" and if he got pissy, I'd say "okay, where's the app that lets me track everything YOU do at any given moment?" and then either quite, or send him on his way depending upon his response.

Addendum: Oh wow, it wasn't in the contract?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw_VRQYzMYM

What moron in upper management didn't think to check with legal before doing this?

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

I don't think your boss should be allowed to monitor you when you're not working. I hope she wins and sets an example for other control freaks.

1. The guys that transfer money in armored trucks. 

2. Pilots

3. Truck drivers

I don't see why any of those should be monitored 24/7. Sure they should be monitored during work hours but not when they aren't at work. That's the whole deal here. This woman was being tracked by her boss even during days and hours she wasn't working.

I know but if her privacy was compromised at some point in her life, would it be safe?

Well, it could like. If the bad guys know where you are but the good guys also know where you are, it equals out really. So I will have to say no.

1. The guys that transfer money in armored trucks. 

2. Pilots

3. Truck drivers 

That's why vehicles have GPS

he went way too far information securit is one thing but this is pretty much stalking.

I also hope she wins

Desktop:ryzen 5 3600 | MSI b45m bazooka | EVGA 650w Icoolermaster masterbox nr400 |16 gb ddr4  corsiar lpx| Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1070ti |500GB SSD+2TB SSHD, 2tb seagate barracuda [OS/games/mass storage] | HpZR240w 1440p led logitech g502 proteus spectrum| Coolermaster quick fire pro cherry mx  brown |

Yeah, tracking.

They are tracking vehicles that they own so one doesn't go somewhere with them he doesn't need to be (let's say the other side of the city when he has a delivery so he can meet a friend during his working hours). I've worked in delivery and we had GPS installed and that is fine by me. Installing an app on someones phone and illegally tracking their movement while they are not working is a different issue.

They shouldn't know where she is period when she not working. It is a clear violation of her right to privacy in her own home. If your that worried have a tracker in the car, package, or whatever it is not the person phone. Should be more worried about the product location not the person. I hope she wins this and help other ppl in the same situation.