Gigabyte announces the P55K gaming laptop

Bouzoo

Gigabyte just announced it's new gaming laptop, and I think it looks quite good. 

Gigabyte introduced a new line of gaming laptops this week, starting with the P55K. This laptop has a 15.6-inch screen with wide viewing angles and a 1920 x 1080 resolution. Powering this screen is Intel's Core i7-4720HQ (2.5 GHz/3.6 GHz) processor, up to 16 GB of DDR3L RAM and up to Nvidia's GeForce GTX 965M with 2 GB of GDDR5 VRAM. All of this runs on a 6400 mAh battery.

On the storage front, the P55K includes a 2.5-inch HDD slot that has a 7200 RPM drive (1 TB) or a 5400 RPM drive (500 GB to 2 TB), depending on the configuration. The laptop also has an mSATA slot supporting an SSD capacity of 128 GB to 512 GB. The laptop's actual storage capacity will depend on the country and region it is sold, the company indicated.

P55_3_w_600.jpgP55_1-inside_w_600.jpg

One of the features highlighting Gigabyte's laptop is a full-range backlit Chiclet keyboard with 0.09-inch key travel, allowing the user to type in a dark room (or gaming cave). The laptop also features what Gigabyte calls the LAN Optimizer, which prioritizes data packets based on the user's settings. This presumably means that users can select gaming data to be more important than streaming Netflix.

And here we are again with 2GB of VRAM. I hope that dies soon. And maybe 970m and physicial mouse buttons (I hate them)? But that's just me.

Source: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/gigabyte-notebook-gaming-nvidia-intel,29066.html

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

I wonder what the odds are that they'll launch a higher end version if it with hopefully a 1440p screen and a 980m. It looks thick enough to cool very well, and has a good keyboard layout. I like it.

Always trying to find reason.

WOW ANOTHER GAMING LAPTOP ILL NEVER BUY :0

I wish companies like Gigabyte would focus more on value laptops, since most people just buy them for browsing the inerwebz while they're oot and aboot (as we say in a Canada)

WOOW another laptop that nobody will buy at all

This doesn't look that great.

I'll keep waiting for something like a HP Omen 15 with a 970m

Here is the official review by HardwareCanucks:

EDIT: DERP, my bad wrong laptop.

I would like to see a 980m sli version 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

I read P55 and thought someone had dug up some really old LGA1156 news :P

But I think manufacturers are beginning to flood the market with gaming laptops at this point.

I read P55 and thought someone had dug up some really old LGA1156 news :P

But I think manufacturers are beginning to flood the market with gaming laptops at this point.

I dont exactly think its bad thing is it may raise expected laptop gpu performance for the whole market which would be nice.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

Only 965m? What is that? Gm204?

And also, At this point it seems companies are to laptops what AMD is/used to be to cores: they just keep shouting MOOOOAAAARRR!

Seriously, no-one is interested in yet another mid range gaming laptop, there should be a law that limits companies to three laptops. Anymore and they have to burn their moneydollars . Period.

- snip-

Seems like an ok laptop if they manage 1200 or less. Most laptops except extremely light ones should come with a half way decent gpu.

-------

Current Rig

-------

No SSD. No Thanks.

Hardware: Intel I7 4790K 4Ghz | Asus Maximus VII Hero Z97 | Gigabyte 780 Windforce OC | Noctua NH-U12P SE2 | Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB | Seagate 500Gb 7200Rpm | Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | EVGA Supernova G2 850W | Noctua NF12 | SupremeFX 2014 | Patriot Viper 3 16GB.

Gaming Gear: Cooler Master TK Stealth | Sennheiser PC350SE | Steelseries Rival | LG IPS23L-BN ' 5ms | Philips Brillians 144hz 

Do I see a VGA output? 

vga outputs still have their uses, but I don't see many taking a fancy pants gaming laptop to a boardroom to do a meeting on the projector. It does seem out of place on this particular laptop.

Yet another standard gaming laptop. There isn't anything that sets this apart from the mass of 15.6 inch gaming laptops made by every vendor. I'd like to see a dock-able laptop from Gigabyte similar to the Alienware 13. 

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Thank the gods that they didn't follow with that ugly massive lower bezel fad. It looks very nice, but the GPU is a bit... Meh.

Cool but I want at least a 970m for Confortable fps play on high or ultra.

Do I see a VGA output? 

I think having a VGA on a laptop is still handy, schools and some businesses don't replace old, but expensive projectors if they still function properly

I think having a VGA on a laptop is still handy, schools and some businesses don't replace old, but expensive projectors if they still function properly

On a "gaming" laptop though? and aren't displayport to VGA cables plentiful and cheap these days?

These "gaming" laptops tend to have unusual specs given their intended purpose. i7's are great for editing, but for a mobile gaming device, why not a solid i5? Use the saved cash for the GPU -  what gamers care for. Obviously you can have it all for over 2500 dollars, but not everyone is willing to toss that much at a notebook. Seriously, i5 + SSD + decent mass storage + good gaming GPU is the wining combo for a mobile gaming device. Beyond that is mobile workstation which is a whole other beast all together.

Also not sure about the color. Feels like Gigabyte is sponsored by the Duracell battery corporation.

These "gaming" laptops tend to have unusual specs given their intended purpose. i7's are great for editing, but for a mobile gaming device, why not a solid i5? Use the saved cash for the GPU -  what gamers care for. Obviously you can have it all for over 2500 dollars, but not everyone is willing to toss that much at a notebook. Seriously, i5 + SSD + decent mass storage + good gaming GPU is the wining combo for a mobile gaming device. Beyond that is mobile workstation which is a whole other beast all together.

Also not sure about the color. Feels like Gigabyte is sponsored by the Duracell battery corporation.

The thing is that mobile i5's are dual core, so if they were to change that then sure

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

It seems to me mobile i7s are much cheaper than desktop i7s since even "budget" laptops can include them without major compromises.

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

On a "gaming" laptop though? and aren't displayport to VGA cables plentiful and cheap these days?

unfortunately displayport isn't that widespread (basically that is the main reason that keeps me from buying a 4k tv (given the current 4k contents it would only be used For Academic Purposes ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)), although I've seen a 110cm samsung 4k ips tv 560 euros that peaked my interest), and the thing also has a hdmi so it does have a digital out.