CHIP - the world's first $9 computer

TopWargamer

It looks pretty cool (though I don't know what I'd use it for), but international shipping is $20, which is way too much.

And at that point you may as well dish out the extra money for a Raspberry Pi 2. 

Anyways, I could see the CHIP being a useful media playback device. Just load XBMC onto it and BAM. Other than that, looks like it'll be good enough for basic things such as web browsing, emails, typing documents, etc. 

They claim that the CHIP will be good enough to play some emulated games, but I'm a bit speculative about that. I guess we'll see when it comes out...

COMIC SANS

Crazy thought but using this to run emulators and hook this up to a monitor and tv and multiple controllers from Logitech and store all the games on a 64gb usb stick and boom for ~$100 instant play with friends mini console that can play any of the old consoles 

:D

I wanna do this

Who's going to want to use a 1GHz single-core CPU and 512MB of RAM in mid 2016?

"Rawr XD"

I initially backed this but realized that after getting the HDMI adapter that it would just make more sense to buy a Raspberry Pi 2. I'm going to keep this on my radar just in case though.

cheap as chips. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

I'm wondering how the programming stuff will go. The PI became populair thanks to all it's open-source stuff that made almost everything possible.

This, not so sure if it is open source so it's probably a nightmare to program for. So, price is good, but you probably won't see the amzing things like you did see with the pi.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

I'm wondering how the programming stuff will go. The PI became populair thanks to all it's open-source stuff that made almost everything possible.

This, not so sure if it is open source so it's probably a nightmare to program for. So, price is good, but you probably won't see the amzing things like you did see with the pi.

it is open source  

Remember when people introduced wind up-radios in rural Africa? Well, this could be the new wind-up radio. Cheap computing for the masses.

50$ because Australia

$55 because GST.

or $34.87 for a slightly borked knockoff on ebay.  Coz that's the choice we get.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

I will take ten!

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

Very interesting.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

I can do so much shit with this if it can get WiFi

dude i got so lost staring blindly at that gif for your profile lmao plz

Yeah, but the price goes to $19 if you want VGA or $24 if you want HDMI.

And at that point, you're getting a not all that much cheaper RPi 2 with 1 usable USB port and none of the established community.

And it's a kickstarter project that will ship a year from now at best.

but the whole thing is they are talking about it being more powerful than that of a Pi

Hmmm can it handle 4k 60fps videos?

pretty nice htcp if it can.

No... This is likely slower than an iPhone 4...

Owner of a top of the line 13" MacBook Pro with Retina Display (Dual Boot OS X El Capitan & Win 10):
Core i7-4558U @ 3.2GHz II Intel Iris @ 1200MHz II 1TB Apple/Samsung SSD II 16 GB RAM @ 1600MHz

but the whole thing is they are talking about it being more powerful than that of a Pi

It's more powerful than the Raspberry Pi.

Not the Raspberry Pi 2, which is $35.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

And it seems perfect for Lubuntu, considering I've had it running on 128MB RAM and a Celeron 300A.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Yeah, but the price goes to $19 if you want VGA or $24 if you want HDMI.

And at that point, you're getting a not all that much cheaper RPi 2 with 1 usable USB port and none of the established community.

And it's a kickstarter project that will ship a year from now at best.

Indeed, but I am actually planning a DIY project that needs a Raspberry Pi, but smaller, and with only what I need (perfect in that case)

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

I'm guessing that it has no Ethernet?

And do you need to get the HDMI port/adapter separately?