CHIP - the world's first $9 computer

TopWargamer

Source: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1598272670/chip-the-worlds-first-9-computer

10910f1d6be64ae90a67c98a627dbf78_origina

The super-cheap computer is still fairly new and arguably started with the $35 Raspberry Pi back in 2012, and multitudes of other affordable, mini computers have come since. This was 3 years ago. Today, something more ambitious is in the works, and it costs only $9. Of course, I'm talking about CHIP. Started as a Kickstarter project asking for $50,000, they are well over their current asking price currently sitting at $75,000 with 29 days to go.

UPDATE: Currently sitting at $280,000 with 28 days to go.

"CHIP is a computer that does computer things." It's extremely small, and for only $9 you get quite the bang for your buck. CHIP comes with a 1GHz processor (assumed to be a single core), 512MB of RAM, and 4GB of storage. Oh, and on top of this it comes with built in WiFi and Bluetooth. So how about video connectors? You can connect via composite, VGA, or HDMI. On top of all of this, CHIP comes pre-installed with its own open source operating system that looks very much like Windows.

a71fed8f7d5d998ff8f09b6db9b44228_origina

Want to use CHIP on the go? It's all good. There's an addon for that. Dubbed the PocketCHIP, it's a tablet-keyboard kind of thing that you can pop your CHIP into and use it on the go. The PocketCHIP comes with a 3,000mAh battery, 4.3" 470x272 display, full qwerty keyboard, GPIO breakouts, and it's even fully open source.

f84ee5a2e3b8a9fe621e8f24a5515467_origina

So when will CHIP be available to the public? That has yet to be seen, but backers will get their CHIP in May 2016. 

So what about backer rewards? A mere $9 will, of course, get you a CHIP, and there are many other reward tiers. So what do you think about this amazing new product? Personally, I will be backing this. 

COMIC SANS

"You get what you pay for" springs to mind

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

$ame

OUT!

CPU AMD 9590 -- 2x Titan X ---  RAM 32GB KINGSTON---PSU EVGA 1000 ------ HARD DRIVE 2TB WD BLACK -- MOTHERBOARD AMD 900 SERIE

RAZER CRACKEN ---------RAZER NAGA -------------------RAZER CHROMA

english is new language for me so forgive my many mistake / I have moderate autism so im not always correct 

$ame

this lol

actually rather interest to see how CPU performs; I could easily see this driving many imbedded projects

Want a good game to play?  Check out Shadowrun: http://store.steampowered.com/app/300550/ (runs on literally any hardware)

another 12 core / 24 thread senpai...     (/. _ .)/     \(. _ .\)

Hmmm can it handle 4k 60fps videos?

pretty nice htcp if it can.

seems highly interesting to be honest. If they added more storage that would be nice.

NEVER GIVE UP. NEVER STOP LEARNING. DONT LET THE PAST HURT YOU. YOU CAN DOOOOO IT

i will get this becaues its a computer for under 10$ and because you can never have enougth computers

IAN :o

i will get this becaues its a computer for under 10$ and because you can never have enougth computers

50$ because Australia

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

Hmmm can it handle 4k 60fps videos?

pretty nice htcp if it can.

90% sure it wont have HDMI 2.0 , So a montior like that is out of the question.

It also only has a Mali 400 GPU which means it can only go up to 1080p

If you want downsampled 4k 60 fps, Cpu based decoding is very taxing on desktop CPUs at that resolution and framerate , Whats essentially a weak smartphone chip has zero chance. If it has an onboard h.265 decoder then it could handle it but that seems unlikely at $9

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

All i can think is one word.

Grandma.

If all you need a computer for is to check emails, social and the occasional FB... this would be perfect.

PC: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X Gigabyte X570 UD Corsair Vengence 32gb 3200MHZ Gigabyte RTX 2070 Intel 512gb boot / Seagate 2tb spinner Windows 10 Corsair 4000D black

Fyi i am Autistic (Aspergers) so sorry for any social mistakes (im mostly okay) If you want to learn more, Just ask! 

Breathtakingly amazing ... 

... Life is a game and the checkpoints are your birthday , you will face challenges where you may not get rewarded afterwords but those are the challenges that help you improve yourself . Always live for tomorrow because you may never know when your game will be over ... I'm totally not going insane in anyway , shape or form ... I just have broken English and an open mind ... 

I can do so much shit with this if it can get WiFi

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

Any idea what it will cost if we don't back it? It looks interesting. Seeing bomb cost of phones, it may be a decent cpu even if they only spend $6 on it, to think a $9 "chip" you would spy on another country 15 years ago for.

the allwinner A13 is a Cortex A8 which is around 3 times faster than raspberry Pi's ARM11

same performance of the beaglebone black

skip to 5:48

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Yeah, but the price goes to $19 if you want VGA or $24 if you want HDMI.

And at that point, you're getting a not all that much cheaper RPi 2 with 1 usable USB port and none of the established community.

And it's a kickstarter project that will ship a year from now at best.

Man, this thing is really chip. Pun intended,

60FPS Microwave

Intel Core i5-4670K | Galax GTX 970 EXOC | ASRock Z97E-ITX/ac | Team Elite 8GB 1600MHz | Gelid Black Edition | Samsung slowdown + WD Blue 1TB x2 | Cooler Master V550 | Corsair K65 + Logitech G100s | MasterCase Pro 3

Man, this thing is really chip. Pun intended,

chip as chips

That is absolutely insane

that pocket version.. I want

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

I think it is worth about that, so really nice price. :)

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

It looks pretty cool (though I don't know what I'd use it for), but international shipping is $20, which is way too much.

HTTP/2 203

When do we get these with thunderbolt support?

Curing shitposts by shitposts

i get concerned with the amount of ram. doesnt chrome use that much just to run? also they say it will play newer games, but id really like them to specify what games. League? Wow? 
I really like the concept i just wish i knew more.