AMD Radeon R9 390X Teaser Pic – Definitely Water Cooled + Small Form Factor

BiG StroOnZ

ONLY 300W? wtf? No, that is AMD running hot. That is an obscene TDP for a graphics card. MY ENTIRE PC draws 500W from the wall and that's an extreme edition CPU and two high end Nvidia cards, yet one of these GPUs ONLY releases most of that in heat alone. For reference Nvidia have never released a card this hot The GTX 580 and GTX 480, both renowned for being ridiculously hot cards, were 244W and 250W respectively. 300W for a single GPU is absolutely monstrous.

It is absolutely a biased opinion to pass this off as acceptable.

Yes, ONLY factoring in the extra +1280 shaders ONLY bringing the card up 10w TDP from its predecessor (R9 290X). Which means both power consumption and heat has seen considerable improvements with the GCN 1.2 architecture. We've also gone over this a dozen times before, TDP does not equate power consumption. Nvidia has released multiple architectures that simply ran stupid hot for no reason such as Fermi. An architecture that doubled as a breakfast range even with aftermarket grade cooling. Fanboys throw around the heat jokes at AMD to cover up the statistical truth that Nvidia has released far more hot architectures than AMD/ATI.

Haha well, the answer is yes and no.

In the business environment, VGA is crucial to have on things like Laptops, since most businesses will have lots of old projectors that only have VGA input. Also, the business laptop is expected to travel all around and have compatibility. Basically every projector has VGA (even higher end ones), so it's guaranteed compatibility.

However, outside of that fairly narrow usage scenario, most people have no use for VGA anymore.

Certainly, anyone buying a 390x is sure as hell not going to have a need for VGA.

Ya I know about this, but if you need  VGA connector and a 390x, just get a DP to VGA active adapter.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

You keep moving the parameters of your argument every time you post. It's pointless talking to you.

I'm never going to buy a card with a TDP of 300W because it's unusable for me in the Summer. I don't care how good its performance is if I cannot use it comfortably for up to a quarter of the year. I don't give a shit whether its brand colours are green or red -- this is a lesson I was taught by Nvidia cards in the past and that was only 244W.

one question though... why is 300w unusable for you in the summer?  :huh:

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

one question though... why is 300w unusable for you in the summer?  :huh:

Because NVidia doesn't make 300w tdp cards. Never mind that his 970 SLI together is 300w tdp.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Looks really small and plain. :(

AMD cards are so hot now that the stock ones are watercooled  :P

I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up making a new GPU called "Heat Miser". :lol:

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Because NVidia doesn't make 300w tdp cards. Never mind that his 970 SLI together is 300w tdp.

Considering that he has most likely raised the power target, it might be even more.

FX 6300 @4.8 Ghz - Club 3d R9 280x RoyalQueen @1200 core / 1700 memory - Asus M5A99X Evo R 2.0 - 8 Gb Kingston Hyper X Blu - Seasonic M12II Evo Bronze 620w - 1 Tb WD Blue, 1 Tb Seagate Barracuda - Custom water cooling

Considering that he has most likely raised the power target, it might be even more.

Shhh, rationale and facts, scare the fanboys :D

On a serious note, I'm really looking forward to these new cards. They should give a glimpse, of what the 2016 models, with 14nm finfet and HBM might perform.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Yea but why is it unusable? Since you've said that he is currently on a sli 970 which makes 300w tdp. Why would a single card with 300w tdp make it unusable?

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

Looks like i'm gonna get one if the cost and power usage aren't insane. Temps wouldn't be an issue for me because this thing would  end up sharing 600mm of rad space with my CPU which isn't that hot.

Official Render:

-This was proved faked by chiphell-

Another official render of the actual chip:

-This is still not comfered offical yey

HBM vs other memory:

390x vs 290x

Source: http://wccftech.com/amd-radeon-fiji-xt-r9-390x-pictured-features-small-form-factor-water-cooling/

As you can see in the background there is a 120mm radiator.  The graphics card itself is pretty small, practically half the length of the R9 295X2. This should be expected since AMD had promised compact form factors for its upcoming HBM powered flagship at the Financial Analyst Day. This is obviously a render, but an official render. Yes it is from WCCFTech, but it's the only picture we have at the moment. WCCF doesn't state a source, and most the information inside of the article is from older articles, and obviously some of the information received from Financial Analyst Day. What makes me curious, if this is the render and final render for the 390X. If it is this small, perhaps they are incorporating some sort of full cover block accompanied by an AIO 120mm radiator. The only way it could be this small is if they have coverage on the VRM's as well as the chip. This also means that HBM will definitely deliver being that it will be stacked, taking up much less space than normal GDDR5. The possibilities are endless if this is the final rendition of the 390X, you could most likely stick this in practically any case without worry. And since it has over 1.45 times the amount of stream processors than a 290x, coupled with HBM, it could easily be 40% faster than a 290X.

You should update the OP for this, as the 390x is not going to be a SFF factor card it will be a full length PCB. Guru 3D even had to come out an apologize for the mishap.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Unholy Rampage: i7 5930k 4.7GHz 4.4 Ring| X99 
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

I'd like to see the R9 390X about this size with an AIO.

[photo snip]

Killer ITX gaming rigs inbound!

Assuming proper implementation of a water block that cools everything there is no need for a big card.  A compact card also offers the advantage of less interference with airflow within the chassis - in any size chassis.

Big cards are only big in order to spread out components and offer larger surface area for the fans to work on.

You should update the OP for this, as the 390x is not going to be a SFF factor card it will be a full length PCB. Guru 3D even had to come out an apologize for the mishap.

Those renders are not from Chiphell, and are not fake. The fake one was a photoshop chop job, not a 3D Render.

Guru3D even has an article themselves with these renders:

http://www.guru3d.com/news-story/liquid-cooled-amd-radeon-r9-390x-pictured.html

Those renders are not from Chiphell, and are not fake. The fake one was a photoshop chop job, not a 3D Render.

The card is dual-slot in design and does not seem to have a visible fan. So, WC out of the box or a fake tease ?

Can we please remember that more power does not mean that a card runs hotter, it means that it has more heat to dissipate.. but some cards with a higher TDP can run cooler than one with a lower one.

The projects never end in my line of work.

CPU: Dual Xeon E5-2650v2 || GPU: Dual Quadro K5000 || Motherboard: Asus Z9PE-D8 || RAM: 64GB Corsair Vengeance || Monitors: Dual LG 34UM95, NEC MultiSync EA244UHD || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 Pro 256GB in Raid 0, 6x WD Re 4TB in Raid 1 || Sound: Xonar Essense STX (Mainly for Troubleshooting and listening test) || PSU: Corsair Ax1500i

CPU: Core i7 5820k @ 4.7GHz || GPU: Dual Titan X || Motherboard: Asus X99 Deluxe || RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport || Monitors: MX299Q, 29UB65, LG 34UM95 || Storage: Dual Samsung 850 EVO 1 TB in Raid 0, Samsung 850 EVO 250GB, 2TB Toshiba scratch disk, 3TB Seagate Barracuda || PSU: EVGA 1000w PS Platinum

Take a look at the render then the Photochop job. Then tell me again the renders are not fake. Anyone with half a brain would be able to tell that its still using the photoshopped image concept.

|King Of The Lost|
Project Dark: i7 7820x 5.1GHz | X299 Dark | Trident Z 32GB 3200MHz | GTX 1080Ti Hybrid | Corsair 760t | 1TB Samsung 860 Pro | EVGA Supernova G2 850w | H110i GTX
Lava: i9 12900k 5.1GHz (Undervolted to 1.26v)| MSI z690 Pro DDR4| Dominator Platnium 32GB 3800MHz| Power Color Red Devil RX 6950 XT| Seasonic Focus Platnium 850w| NZXT Kraken Z53
Rampage|Ripjaws IV 16GB 2800 CL13| GTX 1080 Strix(Custom XOC Signed BIOS) | Seasonic Focus Platinum 850w |H100i v2 
Revenge of 775: Pentium 641 | Biostar TPower i45| Crucial Tracer 1066 DDR2 | GTX 580 Classified Ultra | EVGA 650 BQ | Noctua NH D14

Take a look at the render then the Photochop job. Then tell me again the renders are not fake. Anyone with half a brain would be able to tell that its still using the photoshopped image concept.

The Photochop job was based off the 3D render. Not the other way around. WCCFTech is the only source with the 3D renders. Then the Chiphell guy went ahead and used that render from WCCFTech and made the Photoshop job based off of it. The thread where the Photoshopped pic originated (@ Chiphell) even sourced the 3D Render from WCCFTech in the forum post.

The 3D renders as of currently, have not been proven to be fakes. The only picture that was proven to be fake was the photoshopped picture from Chiphell.

You can even read that here:

http://wccftech.com/fake-render-amd-radeon-r9-390x-internet/

The Photochop job was based off the 3D render. Not the other way around. WCCFTech is the only source with the 3D renders. Then the Chiphell guy went ahead and used that render from WCCFTech and made the Photoshop job based off of it. The thread where the Photoshopped pic originated (@ Chiphell) even sourced the 3D Render from WCCFTech in the forum post.

The 3D renders as of currently, have not been proven to be fakes. The only picture that was proven to be fake was the photoshopped picture from Chiphell.

You can even read that here:

http://wccftech.com/fake-render-amd-radeon-r9-390x-internet/

I still say they are fake until OFFICIALLY proven otherwise.

|King Of The Lost|

UUHHG it has no VGA, worst card EVER.

Adapters, it comes with it. probably  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

780ti used about as much, and 290(x) is just as old, so it's pointless to compare a 2013 card with a 980. If the 3/490x is a 300w card, it's because it's going to be a beast of a koth card.

780ti produces 85C in summer at Max, still no where near 290's 90c though, i think.

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Adapters, it comes with it. probably  

I was joking my other post later on talked a bit more about it with another person.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

780ti produces 85C in summer at Max, still no where near 290's 90c though, i think.

Heat output (watts/tdp) is not the same thing as temperature. 290's with a proper AIB cooler, was far lower. If you want a proper comparison, maybe look at MSI or gigabytes 780ti/290x, with same cooler. That might give a more fair view of the differences.

Heat output (watts/tdp) is not the same thing as temperature. 290's with a proper AIB cooler, was far lower. If you want a proper comparison, maybe look at MSI or gigabytes 780ti/290x, with same cooler. That might give a more fair view of the differences.

well, at the end of the day when i am using it , wasn't it still high than normal.

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

We've also gone over this a dozen times before, TDP does not equate power consumption.

I didn't equate them. I actually described an inequality where one has to be "less than or equal to" the other. lrn 2 read. Or maths. Or both.

I think it is a reading comprehension problem actually because I've talked at length about Fermi being the entire reason I hate high TDP cards yet you're implying I'm a fanboy for not mentioning Fermi. In future can you read posts before spouting bullshit? That'd be grand.

one question though... why is 300w unusable for you in the summer?   :huh:

Because at 4K I need two of them. To match the performance of my 970s I need two of them. This means that my heat output goes way up to 600W. When I had two 580s in SLI that was only about 500W TDP (only LOL >_>) and that pushed my ambient temperature up past 40 Celsius which is absolutely unbearable without air conditioning. It also meant that the cards which did not ordinarily throttle absolutely did and there was no way I could play Tomb Raider for months at a time.