Ubuntu now available pre installed on AMD-based HP laptops

zappian

ebuyer-image.jpg

05 May 2015, London: Electronic Commerce Retailer Ebuyer has launched a series of AMD-based HP laptops preloaded with Ubuntu. These devices are perfect for business and home users and are now available for pre-order on Ebuyer.com; fully available at the end of May 2015.
The launch with Ebuyer.com not only signals a significant milestone in terms of solidifying a partnership with one of the pre-eminent local electronic retailers, but increases Ubuntu’s e-tail presence here in the UK.

Initially, Ebuyer.com is offering users a choice of three different AMD-based HP laptops preloaded with Ubuntu – the HP 255 (£199.99), 355 (£249.99) and ProBook 455 (£299.99). All three devices come with 15.6 LED displays, 1 TB hard disk drive and AMD Quad core Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) with AMD RadeonTM graphics. Both the HP Probook 255 and 355 come with 4GB of RAM whilst the ProBook 455 boasts 8GB.

The laptops are pre-installed with Ubuntu 14.04 LTS making it the most secure and reliable desktop OS for commercial customers. The units are Ubuntu Certified so hardware components are fully compatible with Ubuntu and users will enjoy robustness and great performance, including touch screen support and hiDPI monitors.

This makes me so happy honestly for two reasons:
1- While windows is the gaming champion OS , linux is so much better IMHO for these basic machines that are mainly tailored for web browsing and media consumption . Linux is a much more stabler , is less prone to crasing and locking up and is much lighter.
Althought ubuntu is quite heavy of a distro.
2- Preloading the laptop with ubuntu will hopefully introduce people with linux.

Source : https://insights.ubuntu.com/2015/05/05/ubuntu-now-available-for-pre-order-on-amd-based-laptops-at-ebuyer-com/

Well, i know my parents (50+) are looking a laptop to replace the age old Dell...

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

odd way of wording it

i think "AMD-based HP laptops preloaded with Ubuntu now available for pre-order"

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

Have they taken care to ensure that the Wireless in these laptops is ideal for Ubuntu?

Every single Ubuntu (or any other Linux distort for that matter) laptop I've ever used has had issues with dropping in and out of wifi in public areas such as schools and airports.

It even happened at my house because I have more than one router. It seems they can't handle multiple access points.

Not sure regular users would want to deal with that. And since when is Linux a more user friendly OS than Windows?

Turnip OC'd to 3Hz on air

Have they taken care to ensure that the Wireless in these laptops is ideal for Ubuntu?

Every single Ubuntu (or any other Linux distort for that matter) laptop I've ever used has had issues with dropping in and out of wifi in public areas such as schools and airports.

It even happened at my house because I have more than one router. It seems they can't handle multiple access points.

Not sure regular users would want to deal with that. And since when is Linux a more user friendly OS than Windows?

I never said linux was more user friendly , its just more stable , lighter has less virus issues etç.

I woudnlt use windows if i didnt use it for gaming.

I used ubuntu in college and it is a top notch OS.

Windows is a mess of an OS compared to linux IMO .

LInux is in my experience throws annoying gotchas that windows doesnt that force you to command line. Windows almost never does that, but i do like the theory myself.

I used to run pure linux as my main laptop with ubuntu...so many hacks had to be done

Everything you need to know about AMD cpus in one simple post.  Christian Member 

Wii u, ps3(2 usb fat),ps4

Iphone 6 64gb and surface RT

Hp DL380 G5 with one E5345 and bunch of hot swappable hdds in raid 5 from when i got it. intend to run xen server on it

Apple Power Macintosh G5 2.0 DP (PCI-X) with notebook hdd i had lying around 4GB of ram

TOSHIBA Satellite P850 with Core i7-3610QM,8gb of ram,default 750hdd has dual screens via a external display as main and laptop display as second running windows 10

MacBookPro11,3:I7-4870HQ, 512gb ssd,16gb of memory

I never said linux was more user friendly , its just more stable , lighter has less virus issues etç.

I woudnlt use windows if i didnt use it for gaming.

I used ubuntu in college and it is a top notch OS.

Windows is a mess of an OS compared to linux IMO .

Once more and more people start using Linux more virusses are gonna show up :'(

I think this might just be the laptop a friend of mine is looking for. After his old one basically topped itself, he's needed a cheap laptop to get by, so I might just recommend him the 255, as that's within his budget, plus a little tutelage around Ubuntu and he'll be fine.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Looks like Ubuntu is starting to grow in the laptop space. On the Ubuntu website a couple of weeks ago they showed it off as a factory install option on certain Dell laptops

Yeah, right guys? Guys?

Ubuntu preloaded should work fine for your basic web browsing, music, facebook, movies, photos, torrents, office docs and steam games.

Hope AMD fixes their openGL Linux gfx drivers. So slow compared to their DirectX drivers.

Meh Ubuntu is nice, but considering how much stuff you have to do using CLI I wouldn't really recommend using Ubuntu to most people I know. I like it, but I don't mind using CLI. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Great!

Ubuntu is not my favourite distro, but it means there are more options for buying laptops without giving money to Microsoft.

Lost me at AMD-based HP.

I've had enough bad experiences with HP's cooling system on an AMD chip, I'll continue to avoid it like the plague.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Ubuntu preloaded should work fine for your basic web browsing, music, facebook, movies, photos, torrents, office docs and steam games.

Hope AMD fixes their openGL Linux gfx drivers. So slow compared to their DirectX drivers.

Yea. You'd think theyd focus a lot more on drivers now that we're getting pre-built systems packed with amd and Ubuntu.

I tried Ubuntu for about five minutes but couldn't stand the Unity desktop. I've been using Mint for almost 2 years now and haven't had the desire to switch. Mint's also noob-friendly enough that I was able to throw it at my mother (>50) successfully.

That title...God.

Seriously, who the hell can you "preorder ubuntu"?

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

Yea. You'd think theyd focus a lot more on drivers now that we're getting pre-built systems packed with amd and Ubuntu.

There is a chance that they will not bother with improving OpenGL driver performance any more. And they will just wait for vulkan to take over from openGL. Which will allow them to easily have extremely fast performance....

There is a chance that they will not bother with improving OpenGL driver performance any more. And they will just wait for vulkan to take over from openGL. Which will allow them to easily have extremely fast performance....

This is bad news for me. I don't think my laptop will be benefiting from Vulkan. My next build is going to have a nvidia card, so I guess I shouldn't worry to much about it.

This is bad news for me. I don't think my laptop will be benefiting from Vulkan.

Why not?

I know many people when hearing the word "linux", they got freak out.  :ph34r: Linux is for geeks, not for ordinary people, according to them.

Unless the price of the laptop is considerably cheaper than the Windows counterpart with the same spec. People will stick with Windows.

Once more and more people start using Linux more virusses are gonna show up :'(

It is not just about the popularity of the OS, it is about the way it actually works. For a program to make significant changes to your system, you have to input your password, so you are the one responsible to know if it is something you initiated or not.

MacBook Pro 15' 2018 (Pretty much the only system I use)

I've seen laptops being sold with ubuntu before,  they haven't taken of yet.  That might change if they hit the bigger chain stores, however there success will rest on how the general public receive Linux.    

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.