ASRock X99E-ITX/ac Mini-ITX Motherboard Review - First and Only Mini-ITX X99 Motherboard

BiG StroOnZ

"The World's One and Only Mini-ITX Sized X99 Motherboard"

2iure2r.jpg

21ki5mt.jpg

2e53bet.jpg

34oyjyx.jpg

1. ASRock Super Alloy

- Premium 60A Power Choke

- Premium Memory Alloy Choke

- Fairchild 60A Dual Cool™ DrMOS

- Nichicon 12K Platinum Caps

- Sapphire Black PCB

2. Supports Intel® Core™ i7 and Xeon® 18-Core Processors Family for the LGA 2011-3 Socket
  3. X Series OC Socket, Digi Power, 6 Power Phase design
  4. Supports Dual Channel DDR4 3200+(OC)
  5. 1 PCIe 3.0 x16, 1 Vertical mini-PCIe for WiFi + BT Module
  6. 7.1 CH HD Audio with Content Protection (Realtek ALC1150 Audio Codec), Supports DTS Connect
  7. Intel® Dual Gigabit LAN with Teaming Function
  8. 6 SATA3, 1 eSATA, 1 SATA Express, 1 Ultra M.2 (PCIe Gen3 x4 & SATA3)
  9. WLAN: 2T2R Dual Band 802.11ac WiFi + BT v4.0 Module, ASRock WiFi 2.4/5 GHz Antenna
  10. 2 USB 3.1 Type-A 10Gb/s, 6 USB 3.0 (2 Front, 4 Rear), 4 USB 2.0 (2 Front, 2 Rear)
  11. Free Bundle : CPU Cooler, Water Cooling Mounting Plate, ASRock U3 to U2 Converter
  12. Supports ASRock Full Spike Protection, APP Shop, A-Tuning, Full HD UEFI

As exciting as the notion of a Mini-ITX X99 motherboard was, we expected it to deliver limited features, memory performance and ultimately system performance. Furthermore, placing a 140w Core i7-5960X processor on a tiny motherboard in an equally tiny case seemed  like a recipe for disaster.

We proceeded with our Mini-ITX build nonetheless and we ended up with something truly amazing.

As expected, memory bandwidth performance fell, by almost 40% in fact. That seems like a huge blow but we've found that this doesn't necessarily impact performance and the Core i7-5960X delivered virtually the same results using dual-channel memory as it did quad-channel.

Therefore, performance-wise the X99E-ITX/ac is as good as any other X99 motherboard on the market.

Feature-wise, the X99E-ITX/ac isn't really missing anything, especially considering it's a Mini-ITX motherboard and you get an Ultra M.2 slot, 802.11ac WiFi, SATA Express and USB 3.1 out of the box -- what more could you want?

We aren't sure about the board's retail price but early indications suggest around $250, which seems fair given the highly unique design, rich feature set and extras such as the CPU cooler. That price would be quite competitive considering the cheapest base model X99 boards sell for $180.

The Asrock X99E-ITX/ac will no doubt inspire many new Mini-ITX builds over the coming months -- it certainly has us dreaming of all the epic possibilities.

9t01gk.jpg

More Detailed Review:

Overclocking Results

In this section, I will go through overclocking this board.

CPU Overclocking

Max CPU Overclock is found by setting the VCore to 1.5v, Input voltage to 2.1v, cache voltage to 1.15v, booting with a CPU multiplier of 45x and disabling any features that would result in CPU frequency fluctuation. I then proceed into Windows and use software to increase the multiplier; in this case I opted to use ITXU.

7112_73_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

4.9GHz was my maximum overclock which is kind of impressive considering the cooling.

Maximum AIDA64 Stable Overclock (BIOS settings below for this):

7112_78_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

Thermal Testing at 4.2GHz Overclocked Speeds:

7112_97_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9 7112_98_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

7112_99_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

7112_101_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x 7112_102_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x

In both cases again the backside of the PCB never got warmer than the front; even with the heat from the CPU creeping its way towards the VRM, the tiny heat sink did its job. Any higher on the overclock and this temperature delta would have reversed, but still I think this VRM can support a 24/7 4.5GHz overclock, in my case the cooler limits the CPU's thermals, not the VRM.

System IO Benchmarks

Anvil SATA6G:

7112_85_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

Anvil M.2:

7112_86_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

System power usage is measured at the AC/DC PSU (the Corsair AX1200i) which I have connected to another system to measure the test system and as a backup I have a wall meter to verify. The CPU power is measured through the 8-pin connect which is hooked up to a hall effect IC which measures current and puts out a voltage in proportion to the current. That voltage is logged by a National Instruments ADC which logs the DC voltage level, which I then convert into current.

7112_90_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

ae61yx.jpg

This system is without a doubt the fastest Mini-ITX system to date, you just can't go higher in the Mini-ITX playing field than this board. It packs a ton of features including USB 3.1, wirelesses AC, SATA Express, and Ultra M.2 while providing the proper hardware for high overclocks. Its VRM has extremely high power density, and CPU cooling will hold you back before the VRM does on this board.

Sure, it's limited by its size, but that doesn't keep the X99E-ITX/ac from performing like any other X99 motherboard. I think that the price of the X99E-ITX/ac at $290 is a bit on the high side for a Mini-ITX motherboard, but comparing its feature set to other X99 motherboards, you can start to see why the board comes with such a price tag.

I really like that ASRock provides the CPU cooler, as most people would have to go buy a special one just for this board, which brings me to my final point. If you want the highest performance in the smallest form factor and are willing to make the needed sacrifices along the way, you want the ASRock X99E-ITX/ac.

Source: http://www.techspot.com/review/992-asrock-x99e-itx-ac/

Source 2: http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7112/asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x99-motherboard-review/index.html

This is pretty cool, as a lot of people probably want to do an epic Mini-ITX build and still want to go X-99 but do not really have any choices. Until ASRock comes along and does something new and different that nobody else is doing. Releasing the first Mini-ITX X99 motherboard, and as of now the only one. I know a lot of people dig the small form factor for many reasons, and now they have the opportunity to put the most beastly processor you can imagine inside a Mini-ITX case without worry thanks to ASRock.

Why ITX x99? I mean... 2RAM slots only and just one PCIe 3.0 x16.... If you need only those cores on the CPU then OK but otherwise this makes no sense.

It just defeats the purpose of x99... It is like buying Lambo and only using it as city car.

I still don't really see the point, but very cool nonetheless ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I hope EK makes a monoblock for this. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

Project Depravity: £850 / ????? (03/12/2015) Case: Phanteks Enthoo Primo SE Red Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB MX Red Monitors: 3* Asus PG279Q Stand: Ergotech Triple Desk Stand Webcam: Logitch C920

Spoiler

RIP in kill: CPU: Single core Celeron M @1.73GHz RAM: 1GB (512MB x2) DDR2 SO-DIMM Motherboard: Asus MOCA-AR HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400rpm

Spoiler

Current System: CPU: Intel i5-4690K Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming 5 RAM: Kingston HyperX Fury 8GB 1866MHz GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 960 4GB SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB PSU: Corsair CX500M Case: Corsair 200R Windowed MonitorLG 22MP55HQ 22" IPS + HP w19 MouseRoccat Savu Keyboard: Corsair Raptor K30 Mouse Pad: Perixx DX-1000XXL Headset: Kingston HyperX Cloud OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit 

You cannot quote the entire review or even near half of the stuff you listed, that would be against CoC. This is Tech News and Reviews. You need a summary of the article, that's how it works. You should know this by now. 

Posting all of that would get the thread locked because it would break CoC. That's why you post the conclusion, and the link to the review so others can go read it themselves.

Stop shit posting.

I think he meant those things are lacking from the review itself, not from your post.

amirite @Sintezza?

It's a misunderstanding, let's keep it civil

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

I think he meant those things are lacking from the review itself, not from your post.

amirite @Sintezza?

Thats indeed what i mean.

But he starts shit posting himself, calling people kids.

That kinda annoys me lol

amirite @Sintezza?

Well then if that's the case, here:

Overclocking Results

CPU Overclocking

Max CPU Overclock is found by setting the VCore to 1.5v, Input voltage to 2.1v, cache voltage to 1.15v, booting with a CPU multiplier of 45x and disabling any features that would result in CPU frequency fluctuation. I then proceed into Windows and use software to increase the multiplier; in this case I opted to use ITXU.

7112_73_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

4.9GHz was my maximum overclock which is kind of impressive considering the cooling.

7112_78_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

7112_97_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9 7112_98_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

7112_99_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

7112_101_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x 7112_102_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x

In both cases again the backside of the PCB never got warmer than the front; even with the heat from the CPU creeping its way towards the VRM, the tiny heat sink did its job. Any higher on the overclock and this temperature delta would have reversed, but still I think this VRM can support a 24/7 4.5GHz overclock, in my case the cooler limits the CPU's thermals, not the VRM.

System IO Benchmarks

Anvil SATA6G:

7112_85_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

Anvil M.2:

7112_86_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

System power usage is measured at the AC/DC PSU (the Corsair AX1200i) which I have connected to another system to measure the test system and as a backup I have a wall meter to verify. The CPU power is measured through the 8-pin connect which is hooked up to a hall effect IC which measures current and puts out a voltage in proportion to the current. That voltage is logged by a National Instruments ADC which logs the DC voltage level, which I then convert into current.

7112_90_asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x9

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7112/asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x99-motherboard-review/index.html

Then here:

Overclocking Results

CPU Overclocking

System IO Benchmarks

Anvil SATA6G:

Anvil M.2:

http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/7112/asrock-x99e-itx-ac-mini-intel-x99-motherboard-review/index.html

Finaly, now we are talking :D

The whole appeal of X99 in my mind is a huge ass motherboard, a huge ass full tower, 4 GPU's and a billion SSD's and hard drives all hooked up to some massive water block with 8 sticks of RAM screaming "IAM THE OVERBUILT".

I think this exists primarily to capitalize on those people that *think* they need X99 when they really don't. (i.e gamers without quad SLI rigs.)

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

useless, the only point of X99 is to run 4way sli

Erm...

What about M-ITX Workstations?

I can think fo several occasions where this would be useful...

As in Mobile workstations

People who Stream on the go and need more than Laptops

Just remember: Random people on the internet ALWAYS know more than professionals, when someone's lying, AND can predict the future.

i7 9700K (5.2Ghz @1.2V); MSI Z390 Gaming Edge AC; Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200 CAS 16; H100i RGB Platinum; Samsung 970 Evo 1TB; Samsung 850 Evo 500GB; WD Black 3 TB; Phanteks 350x; Corsair RM19750w.

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 4K 9750H GTX 1650 16GB Ram 256GB SSD

Spoiler

sex hahaha

OH man. Hello beast portable gaming system.

Or, apartment friendly gaming system.

*drool*

useless, the only point of X99 is to run 4way sli

Why ITX x99? I mean... 2RAM slots only and just one PCIe 3.0 x16.... If you need only those cores on the CPU then OK but otherwise this makes no sense.

It just defeats the purpose of x99... It is like buying Lambo and only using it as city car.

I still don't really see the point, but very cool nonetheless ^^

While it might be slightly pointless, it's nice for those of us that want such things. For example I upgrade my PC every 3 or 4 years, so I usually go for balls out systems, only changing out the GPU if required (single GPU only). I like SFF builds. So, this would play perfectly into that. Let's be honest not many of us need more than two or three SATA ports anyway.

DDR4 isn't just for quad channel RAM. It also opens up the option for 32gb in a SFF like this. You can't do that with LGA1150.

Let's not forget. Want and need are two entirely different things.

Also..please..I'd say 80%+ of Lambos and similar cars are city cars. They're merely status symbols. ;)

The whole appeal of X99 in my mind is a huge ass motherboard, a huge ass full tower, 4 GPU's and a billion SSD's and hard drives all hooked up to some massive water block with 8 sticks of RAM screaming "IAM THE OVERBUILT".

I think this exists primarily to capitalize on those people that *think* they need X99 when they really don't. (i.e gamers without quad SLI rigs.)

You don't always populate the PCI slots with GPU's only. SSD's, and other things also use up those pipe lines.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

You don't always populate the PCI slots with GPU's only. SSD's, and other things also use up those pipe lines.

M.2 Provides it's own lanes.  Any modern CPU has enough lanes for a single GPU and a myriad of other PCI hardware.  For example, my 8370 has 38 lanes.  A single GPU taking up 16 still leaves 22 free lanes for whatever else.  

Sorry I didn't realize that the i7 was only limited to 16 lanes...in that case X99 makes a lot more sense to me for people who want that stuff.

4K // R5 3600 // RTX2080Ti

OH man. Hello beast portable gaming system.

Or, apartment friendly gaming system.

*drool*

While it might be slightly pointless, it's nice for those of us that want such things. For example I upgrade my PC every 3 or 4 years, so I usually go for balls out systems, only changing out the GPU if required (single GPU only). I like SFF builds. So, this would play perfectly into that. Let's be honest not many of us need more than two or three SATA ports anyway.

DDR4 isn't just for quad channel RAM. It also opens up the option for 32gb in a SFF like this. You can't do that with LGA1150.

Let's not forget. Want and need are two entirely different things.

Also..please..I'd say 80%+ of Lambos and similar cars are city cars. They're merely status symbols. ;)

Yes, you are right. I am well aware that there would be no such product of there was no demand. I just can't see my self going forITX x99 even if I had unlimited money.

Looks like Linus has an upcoming build with this motherboard. Not sure what CPU he put in (most likely 5960x) along with a Titan X in a silverstone case.

This is relevant to my interest. The only thing I don't like is the price, but by the time I'm ready to build for x99 Asus should have something to compete, maybe dropping the price of the asrock. I just bought an asrock m8 for cheap, can't wait to start buying parts. 

I am guessing no ECC memory.

That would make a neat little server.

I just wish the board was less ugly. Great technical achievement, and I want one (I'm an SFF sucker) but Goddamn do I wish Asus did this with the ROG impact. Just imagine: ROG impact X.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

i'm surprised the little VRM can handle the power hungry 5960x monster.

I am guessing no ECC memory.

That would make a neat little server.

From the Specs page for that board on ASRock's own site - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

- Supports DDR4 3200+(OC)*/2933(OC)/2800(OC)/2400(OC)/2133 non-ECC, un-buffered memory

- Supports non-ECC RDIMM (Registered DIMM)

- Supports DDR4 ECC, un-buffered memory/RDIMM with Intel® Xeon® processors E5 series in the LGA 2011-3 Socket

So you whack a Xeon E5 chip in there (instead of an i7) and you can use the DDR4 16GB ECC RDIMM's out on the market to max it at 32GB right away.

From the Specs page for that board on ASRock's own site - http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/X99E-ITXac/?cat=Specifications

So you whack a Xeon E5 chip in there (instead of an i7) and you can use the DDR4 16GB ECC RDIMM's out on the market to max it at 32GB right away.

Thank you for looking that up. I was being lazy.

If only it had IPMI it would be a perfect little server board.

that is SO awesome, i want it :(

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii