GTX 970/980 price complaint

FairladyZ

I know, GeForce cards are "better" than the red furnaces, but why do they have to be hundreds of dollars more? It's ridiculous how they ramp the price from reasonable to ridiculous. 600 bucks for 4GB of video memory... When on the AMD side, you can pay less for a card with 8GB of the stuff...

FairladyZ | If you want to reply to me, please quote my post! Idiocity, the best money wasting PC build ever!

If they weren't worth the money, people wouldn't buy them. There's a lot more to it than just memory size.

*cough* Cuda Cores *cough*

lol are comparing GPUs based on vram?

hahahahaha

thats not how this shit works

look at the benchmarks of PERFORMANCE not vram

look at how the 970 outperforms a 290x and only costs $330

and you're complaining about the price of a 980, which is the second best performing GPU in the world

just because you cannot afford the best, doesn't mean they should bring prices down

there are plenty of people who have a job and can afford a $500 GPU if they want it

do you also complain about how a lambo costs $250k and only has 600hp? because you cant afford it?

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

they're also not hundreds of dollars more -- excluding the top of the line card (which never has good price/performance). 

But the 970 performs similarly to the 290x and only costs a bit more. The same can be said about the GTX960 and R9 280/x. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

If you really look at average price to performance within each price bracket, Nvidia is not that much more expensive (if at all) than AMD, till you get to their flagship GPU.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

you cant compare cards based off of vram alone, there are a plethora of different factors involved in deciding which one is better, but in the end the nvidia cards perform better and its up to the consumer to decide if the price premium is worth the performance gains. if they are so overpriced, people wouldnt buy them and theyd have to sell them cheaper so they must be doing something right

they're also not hundreds of dollars more -- excluding the top of the line card (which never has good price/performance). 

But the 970 performs similarly to the 290x and only costs a bit more. The same can be said about the GTX960 and R9 280/x. 

Titans are a good buy because they hold their value very well. 290x does not hold it's value at all.

Last time i checked the 290x was slightly cheaper than the 970, at least in the UK. And there was at most a ~12% fps difference between the cards. I'd pick a 290x over a GTX970 any day tbh.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

hahahahaha

and you're complaining about the price of a 980, which is the second best performing GPU in the world

just because you cannot afford the best, doesn't mean they should bring prices down

there are plenty of people who have a job and can afford a $500 GPU if they want it

do you also complain about how a lambo costs $250k and only has 600hp? because you cant afford it?

Shots fired lol you nailed every point

hahahahaha

You took the words right out of my mouth :P

Project Cobalt: 

CPU: AMD FX 8370 Motherboard:

Asus M5A97 R2.0

RAM: G.Skill Ares 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133 GPU:

Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming Case: NZXT H440 (Blue)

Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 256GB +  2x 1TB WD Cavier Blue

PSU: Corsair 750G2 

CPU Cooler: Swiftech H220X

Keyboard: Model M + a lot of others 

Mouse: Logitech G502

Vintage Gaming PC: AMD Athlon T-Bird 800Mhz, Gainward nVidia Ti200 128MB, 512MB Crucial RAM DDR, Compaq ASPEN 2 OEM Board, Soundblaster Live! 5.1, Windows 98SE

Last time i checked the 290x was slightly cheaper than the 970, at least in the UK. And there was at most a ~12% fps difference between the cards. I'd pick a 290x over a GTX970 any day tbh.

It's more than just the straight performance -- there's software/cuda/efficiency to consider as well. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I guess that you are such a miser that you would buy a 300w toaster over a 160w silent killer for $50 xD

of course its cheaper, because it performs worse

12% difference in performance is pretty significant

usually the difference between gpu versions is less than 10%

and just because you would choose a 290x over a 970 doesn't mean the other 75% of people will

supply and demand is what sets the price

and right now there is a big demand for the 900 GPUs, and their pricing is appropriate

the issue is that there are always poor people who complain about the price of stuff they want but cant afford

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

It's more than just the straight performance -- there's software/cuda/efficiency to consider as well.

Aye ofc, but for just regular gaming i'd get the 290x. 

I guess that you are such a miser that you would buy a 300w toaster over a 160w silent killer for $50 xD

Just no. They don't run as hot as some people think. A well ventilated case will have no issue. It's pretty much on par with the heat output of a GTX 980.

17170941942l.jpg

of course its cheaper, because it performs worse

12% difference in performance is pretty significant

usually the difference between gpu versions is less than 10%

and just because you would choose a 290x over a 970 doesn't mean the other 75% of people will

supply and demand is what sets the price

and right now there is a big demand for the 900 GPUs, and their pricing is appropriate

the issue is that there are always poor people who complain about the price of stuff they want but cant afford

That gap is only present in certain titles. Across the board they're pretty much even. Regardless, most people will be happy with either one. The main argument i've come up against for 290x vs 970 arguments, is power draw, and heat output. Some people genuinely believe it's like comparing a wind farm to a thermonuclear reactor when talking about these cards. 

As long as you don't need CUDA, either card will serve a buyer well.

Shot through the heart and you're to blame, 30fps and i'll pirate your game - Bon Jovi

Take me down to the console city where the games are blurry and the frames are thirty - Guns N' Roses

Arguing with religious people is like explaining to your mother that online games can't be paused...

hahahahaha

Rephrase it

"How the 970 outperforms the 290x at 1080p"

Lets all ripperoni in pepperoni

hahahahaha

agreed

Aye ofc, but for just regular gaming i'd get the 290x. 

Just no. They don't run as hot as some people think. A well ventilated case will have no issue. It's pretty much on par with the heat output of a GTX 980.

17170941942l.jpg

That gap is only present in certain titles. Across the board they're pretty much even. Regardless, most people will be happy with either one. The main argument i've come up against for 290x vs 970 arguments, is power draw, and heat output. Some people genuinely believe it's like comparing a wind farm to a thermonuclear reactor when talking about these cards. 

As long as you don't need CUDA, either card will serve a buyer well.

On par at 100% fan speed and also you do not have a power chart. Everybody has a well ventilated case unless they are retarded.

The 970 should have been $299 from the get go. The 980 should have run about $450. That's really what I think is a fair price. The 290/X was overpriced for along time because of mining. It's a fair card at $275 NEW....  No matter how good the deal is on the 970 though.... I wouldn't buy. I'd wait for the 980 to be $300 before I bought the 970 just based on the ram-gate situation.

Where I live, the 970 costs ~400. that's around $430. Y'all lucky. 

*cough* Cuda Cores *cough*

All jokes aside, I actually use them for iRay, so even if I didn't like Nvidia, I'd still be stuck with them :P

"It's a taxi, it has a FARE METER."

Total system power consumption difference between gtx 970 and r9 290x, is around 60-90W (dependent on compared models).  Keep on drinking that green Kool-Aid man.

Born to game, forced to work.  -_-

I wonder how much would LTT's favourite 970 G1 costs in my country? 

3l5TtTQ.jpg

Convert...

KWGEisl.jpg

US price...

HcBJoXh.jpg

kmd2lPG.gif

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

If you're really concerned about pricing....look at benchmarks, then look at the average frames, then figure out the price per frame for the games you'd play.

That's what I'm doing, and so far, unless the 980 ti is roughly even with two 970s I ain't getting it.

When the 970 first came out, the 290x was around the same price, or equal.  They have since dropped their prices to compete, quick effectively I might add, with the 970. That's just how the game is going to work. I bet when the new AMD 300 line rolls out, nvidia will respond in a similar manner.