PC myth : swaping out the Cpu and the motherboard will '' Kill'' youre OS

Ridska
Go to solution Solved by Altecice,

This was more the case back in ye'olde days of Windows XP and below. Swapping out major parts of your computer would cause a BSOD on start up with something along the lines of 'HAL.EXE blah blah blah' Now the thing to note about HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer ) in the XP days. It was a fixed 'driver' that communicated between the software and hardware. So changing anything hardware would cause this issue.

Moving on with today's Windows 7,8. They no longer use this dated system of a HAL and so they are much more adaptable to changes in there configuration.

This doesn't go into driver compatibility issues that may arise with swapping out, But if you are doing a major hardware change you should always do a clean install of Windows.

Some HAL information if you want to read - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/99588/.

Ridska here ,

As a little boy my father (who used to fiddle with PC's at his time )

told me that if you try to upgread youre motherboard and youre cpu , youre opirating system would be sees to exsist .

as a little boy i belived him .know at what time line of my life he told me but i am certen that he did tell me that .

because he is my father after all. and when youre a little kid , who do you trust the most ?! The homeless man across the street or youre mother and father ?

So fast forward, im here , ( im 18 Btw )

and i still belive this BUT..

That doesnt mean i had my doughts about it .

Any thing is possible to a carten extent ( or at least thats what i belive )

So Linus Tech Tips Forums , will you be the myth busters of tech for this day ?

Thanks and as always , Stay groovie :D

(⌐■_■) 

I don't think this is real, since test benches would die out. I think you have to revalidate though

CPU: Xeon 1230v3 - GPU: GTX 770  - SSD: 120GB 840 Evo - HDD: WD Blue 1TB - RAM: Ballistix 8GB - Case: CM N400 - PSU: CX 600M - Cooling: Cooler Master 212 Evo

Update Plans: Mini ITX this bitch

well kinda true

during the 775 mobo era if u upgrade your mobo to a newer one with a different (newer) south bridge it would refuse to boot

but all i had to do was to put the win7 disk in the pc and repair the boot loader ( or what ever it called)

might still be the case now

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

OEM OS does die with a motherboard swap. With a bit of tinkering you can have an interchangeable OS though.

I'm a fucking AMD kawaii weeaboo desu I have seen the light

i5 6600k EVGA 980 FTW Z170A PC Mate 1TB WD Blue240GB SSD Plus NZXT S340 | EVGA 600b  | Dedotated 8GB

I have always been told that you have to reinstall when you swap them out because of drivers.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

This was more the case back in ye'olde days of Windows XP and below. Swapping out major parts of your computer would cause a BSOD on start up with something along the lines of 'HAL.EXE blah blah blah' Now the thing to note about HAL ( Hardware Abstraction Layer ) in the XP days. It was a fixed 'driver' that communicated between the software and hardware. So changing anything hardware would cause this issue.

Moving on with today's Windows 7,8. They no longer use this dated system of a HAL and so they are much more adaptable to changes in there configuration.

This doesn't go into driver compatibility issues that may arise with swapping out, But if you are doing a major hardware change you should always do a clean install of Windows.

Some HAL information if you want to read - https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/99588/.

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

When i took my Hard drive from my E7300 Build And put it into my i5 2320 Build Windows 7 booted up just fine....though for some reason the mouse wouldnt move.

It was rather odd O_o

Hey bro whatcha DOOOOOOOOIN *Barfs fruit salads on your chest*

i7 4820K / Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ 6GB \ 16GB Corsair Vengeance (4X4) / Gigabyte X79-UD3 \ EVGA Supernova G2 850W / Windows 7 Ultimate / Dell U2412M \

Dat be spooky....my hella rad pootpoot *u*

I've been told you can uninstall all drivers and swap components safely, but it's always safer to just reinstall the OS.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Question, have you done it?

not every OS can easily interchange able

Windows 7 is pretty much tolerant about swapping hardware

but I've had much trouble with Windows 8, specially if you install it over UEFI platform.

Ridska here ,

As a little boy my father (who used to fiddle with PC's at his time )

told me that if you try to upgread youre motherboard and youre cpu , youre opirating system would be sees to exsist .

as a little boy i belived him .know at what time line of my life he told me but i am certen that he did tell me that .

because he is my father after all. and when youre a little kid , who do you trust the most ?! The homeless man across the street or youre mother and father ?

So fast forward, im here , ( im 18 Btw )

and i still belive this BUT..

That doesnt mean i had my doughts about it .

Any thing is possible to a carten extent ( or at least thats what i belive )

So Linus Tech Tips Forums , will you be the myth busters of tech for this day ?

Thanks and as always , Stay groovie :D

Please change the title- it's "your" not "you're".

See my blog for amusing encounters from IT workplace: http://linustechtips.com/main/blog/585-life-of-a-techie/

---

This doesn't go into driver compatibility issues that may arise with swapping out, But if you are doing a major hardware change you should always do a clean install of Windows

Question Then : Can you do this ? : You install the Os to a SSD or a HDD , and then preserve it there and after youre done with the motherbaord and the CPu swap , you plug it in right back , and it would work just as fine like it did previously ?! 

And a nother question : Is my myth busted ?

(⌐■_■) 

went from fx-8320 & ga-970a-ud3p to i7-4790k & asrock extreme6 and windows loaded up like normal, even though i was attempting to get into bios to reinstall windows lol

unnecessary but still recommended.

Abigail: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.5GHz 1.170v / EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 980 Ti Classified  / ASRock Z97 Extreme6 / Corsair H110i GT / 4x4Gb G.Skill Ares 1866MHz @ CAS9 / Samsung 840 EVO 250Gb SSD / Seagate Barracuda 1TB 7200RPM / NZXT H440 Blue / EVGA SuperNOVA 750w G2

Peripherals: BenQ XL2411z 24" 144hz 1080p / ASUS VG248QE 24" 144Hz 1080p / Corsair Vengeance K70 RGB / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD650 / Schiit Audio Modi 2 / Magni 2 / Blue Yeti Blackout

went from fx-8320 & ga-970a-ud3p to i7-4790k & asrock extreme6 and windows loaded up like normal, even though i was attempting to get into bios to reinstall windows lol

unnecessary but still recommended.

Dang! have always had issues going amd>intel or vise versa

My exprience has been this:

1. Back up your stuff before you start, no matter what

2. Give it a try. If intel to intel or amd to amd, you are generally okay, as long as it's not a huge jump (Like, 1155 to 1150 is usually fine).

3. You will need to reactivate windows. You will be able to do this as long as it ahs been 90 days + with almost no problems (Windows 7) Windows 8 you will probably need to call and activate - tell them you ahve it installed on one machione (like you do) and voila, activated. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Depends on which hardware you're swapping out.

If you're going from say an H87 mobo to a Z97 mobo, you should be fine and should only have to reactivate windows as well as install a few drivers. It's probably easier going from one motherboard to another if it's from the same manufacturer (Asus to Asus, MSI to MSI etc.).

Now, if you're changing platforms altogether (going from say, AM3+ to Z97 or LGA775 to 1150 or something like that) then that's when you might encounter more serious issues on the new platform. The newer the platform (going from and to), the easier the swap will be, generally speaking. Lots of people have reported only having to install drivers and reactivate windows upon upgrading to newer better platforms/sockets from within the same manufacturer (AMD FM2 to AM3+ or H87 to Z97 etc.).

I haven't done so myself... yet. So take what I say with caution as what I've said has come from what others have said. ;)

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

It won't "KILL" the OS but it will definetely make it run like shit until you do a fresh rebuild

While I don't want to speak to fast. Unlike Windows 7/8, I was able to take my SSD with Windows 1, plug it on any computer specs at work, and it successfully booted. Windows at start-up does a "Getting my device ready" process, and then it successfully boot. Very interesting. We will see how it turns out. It could be that it is because of the Windows 2 Go feature is normally for Enterprise edition of Windows (well introduced in Windows 8), and they enabled it for the tech preview for testing, or simply wanted to make the experience more robust against hardware changes.

Regardless, as of now (that means without Windows 10 as we know nothing about in that regard), if you have a retail version of Windows you have no problem changing anything. Re-install, activate, and all is good. However, if you have the OEM version of Windows, then it is locked on your motherboard. The license agreement states that the only time you are permitted to re-use your Windows on a different motherboard without going and buying a new license, is that the current motherboard is broken, and an exact replacement can't be found (produce discontinued from production).

I care because I pay attention to what I write and this hurts my eyes.

C.o.C section : Core values , Line 7 : '' Don´t be a dick '' Wil Wheaton

(⌐■_■) 

I still don't think it's a good idea at all. But I've had times where I can use old hard drives in different computers and have them work fine. And other times when they don't boot at all...

Nude Fist 1: i5-4590-ASRock h97 Anniversary-16gb Samsung 1333mhz-MSI GTX 970-Corsair 300r-Seagate HDD(s)-EVGA SuperNOVA 750b2

Name comes from anagramed sticker for "TUF Inside" (A sticker that came with my original ASUS motherboard)