Experiences with non-techies

school`s IT guy has updated my School-issued Laptop so it would conect to the file-serves and now i have admin rigths on all computers at School. *MASSIVE-FACEPALM*

My pc:

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/dvcw23 

(Black Glacier)

My server:

Dual xeon x5679 processors, 24gb of ECC memory, Nvidia quadro 295 NVS and 48tb of storage.  (z600

. It sucks,

"Life's a bitch, then you die"

Virtually everyone on the planet (over 20) has said at one point "my parents get me to do this sh1t, and just at this pivotal time in my life.".

Stuff is never as important as it seems, sorry but your going to have to live with this crap.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

New story!

In our computer lab, working on Dell Computers.

(I am talking to one of my interns who works at a school)

Me: So are all the computers okay?

Intern: Yeah, but one of the computers won't turn on, the orange light in the front just keeps flashing.

Me: Okay, have you spent any money on the problem?

Intern: Yeah, I got a replacement psu. It cost about $180

Me: 250 Watt? 80+?

Intern: Yeah.

Me: Did it fix it?

Intern: No.

Me: Alright, try reseating the ram.

Intern: What? That can't be the problem! Listen bud, I got CompTIA Certified.

Me: You are my paid intern, you will do as I say. Also, you don't have 15 years of expirence.

Intern: No! I am CompTIA certified, and I know that isn't the issue!

Me: Listen, just do as I say, or you are going to be layed off.

*Gasps from the 27 students in the room*

Intern: Fine. I'll do it.

Me: thanks.

*5 min later*

Intern: I reseated the ram.

Me: Did it work?

Intern: No! It didn't you asshat! (Yes he said that in front of 27 6th graders)

*I go reseat the RAM*

Intern: What did you do?

Me: Reseated the RAM.

Intern: What?

Me: Just putting the RAM back in case doesn't work. Also, you are a terrible cable manager.

Intern: F*ckface...

Me: when we are done, you meet me outside.

Intern: I don't have too.

Me: Fine then, you have to options *I pull out my clip-board* I can sign your resignation, and it won't go on your employers record, or I can fire you, and you don't get a job in the IT industry ever again.

Intern: You can't do that! I am hard working.

Me: you just called me an asshat in front of my 11 year old son. You are going to be layed off as you are un-beneficial to the company financially.

*About a year later I ran into the guy at frys and said he said to an older lady that Intel was the only good brand and that AMD is owned by a warlord out in the Middle East*

And that was that. It turned out he faked his CompTIA Certs. too.

You remind me of my old computer science teacher.  His name was Tic, he was an aweosme computer science teacher.  He used to be a software developer for Microsoft.  He left because this dumbass teacher wanted his spot.  He left, and now this dumbass is my teacher.  He acts like a pro and really, quite honestly isn't very good at what he does.  Everyone in the class hates him.  He said he worked at Google.  He doesn't even know what Java or Javascript is.  Didn't know what a Float was till me and this other guy painfully explained it in front of the class  while learning Python.  

He asked us to make a game and write a report on it. So, I taught the whole class to make a game in Python, since we were learning it.  Just a basic game, and told them to make their own games unique to them.  They did it, in a day.  This teacher bullied me for it, and he told us all to make a 10 second click game inside of scratch. 

And even worse, we spent over a term just working on it to his standards.  

I've already got my CCNA certifications, which you normally get after 2 years as a systems engineer in the New Zealand army, I got hired for AVG at 13 years old.  Quit recently, have been working for a systems administrator for Wells Fargo.  

I truly, and honestly believe.  This guy is jelous of me.  He knows absolutely nothing, which I don't have a problem with.  Just don't say you know things, when you dont actually. 

Its lying.  And its not cool.  Especially from a teacher.

Sorry.  But my friends keep on getting punished by this asshole.  I'm actually quite angry.  

snip

You owned him :3

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

*Snip*

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:13 AM #27 My computer class is too easy... Was yours?: post #27

My teacher: All good software is paid and un-distributable. Any free distributable software is bad and is showing the poor quality of workmanship of the devs.

Me: Umm. Linux?

Teacher: What's that?

Me: *walks out the door. Gets an f in the class for never coming back.*

yes that actually happened.

Posted 27 August 2015 - 10:13 AM #27 My computer class is too easy... Was yours?: post #27

My teacher: All good software is paid and un-distributable. Any free distributable software is bad and is showing the poor quality of workmanship of the devs.

Firefox, Chrome, LibreOffice, OpenOffice..Must I go on?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

You remind me of my old computer science teacher.  His name was Tic, he was an aweosme computer science teacher.  He used to be a software developer for Microsoft.  He left because this dumbass teacher wanted his spot.  He left, and now this dumbass is my teacher.  He acts like a pro and really, quite honestly isn't very good at what he does.  Everyone in the class hates him.  He said he worked at Google.  He doesn't even know what Java or Javascript is.  Didn't know what a Float was till me and this other guy painfully explained it in front of the class  while learning Python.  

He asked us to make a game and write a report on it. So, I taught the whole class to make a game in Python, since we were learning it.  Just a basic game, and told them to make their own games unique to them.  They did it, in a day.  This teacher bullied me for it, and he told us all to make a 10 second click game inside of scratch. 

And even worse, we spent over a term just working on it to his standards.  

I've already got my CCNA certifications, which you normally get after 2 years as a systems engineer in the New Zealand army, I got hired for AVG at 13 years old.  Quit recently, have been working for a systems administrator for Wells Fargo.  

I truly, and honestly believe.  This guy is jelous of me.  He knows absolutely nothing, which I don't have a problem with.  Just don't say you know things, when you dont actually. 

Its lying.  And its not cool.  Especially from a teacher.

Sorry.  But my friends keep on getting punished by this asshole.  I'm actually quite angry.  

know how you feel man. My computer science teacher is the same. Glad i am not gonna do CS at a-level. He misinforms his students and boasts that he apparently knows "20" programming languages. Anyway, i have corrected him on a few occasions. The most notable is when he said that an i7 has 7 cores. 

He then proceeds after to call me dumb and that he does "all the talking", even though i told him in a kind and respectful manner. That prick is in his 50s and needs to get fired (sorry to the 50 year olds out there) as an old man who is stuck up cant teach his students. He doesnt even teach us properly. He teaches us 5 programming languages in 2 months. He then doesnt help his students and leaves us to do the coursework. I got a C in computing because of this maniac. I got a D in coursework even though i spend 3 hours every day at home and at school doing research. He picks the hardest tasks for us to do. Thank God my next door neighbour (who is now a CS teacher and had my teacher in highschool) was around to help me get my 92% on the exam, otherwise i would have failed miserably.  He even says that my teacher is a stuck up brat and he used to get treated the same as me by this moron when he went to my school. 

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

Eww OpenOffice... Apache License... Eww

The rest are good, except maybe chromium instead of chrome.

Word office,

wait what ? :D

Me: Umm. Linux?

Teacher: What's that?

Me: *walks out the door. Gets an f in the class for never coming back.*

yes that actually happened.

post-239070-0-79346700-1441209008.gif

What I would've done xD

Good on you m8.

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Friend: "Yeah right, you can't get more than 120 FPS, it's impossible."

Any supporting evidence by your friend?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Friend while I was playing CS:GO with him: "How many FPS do you get"

Me: "Depends on what settings I use, 80, sometimes 150, or more even"

Friend: "Yeah right, you can't get more than 120 FPS, it's impossible."

pic of xtreem facepalm snip*

Haha thats my friend right there. Unfortunately I used to be just like that. Funny story actually (and relevant):

I used to game on an old ASUS Q200E (God forgive me) before I even got into techie stuff, and my favorite game was, of course, Minecraft. I NEVER, under any circumstances, got above 20-25FPS on it, and thought that no lag was only for million dollar computers. When I first met my now close friend who showed me his computer that he built (which got around 100FPS at full settings on Minecraft with texture mods), I thought he had hacked the game xD. Luckily I now know you can't hack games to get better FPS...

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

So, I use to work with my dad doing maintainance and landscaping for an apartment complex in the town I lived in. I worked there for two years during the summer and went to College the rest of the year. Two years into College I decided that I needed to get a part-time job that was year-round.

The guy who replaced me was a resident of the apartment complex. Let's call him Tim. Tim was a very talkative, know-it-all type hick. Always boasting about his truck and hunting and his bow etc. etc. etc.

So one day I stopped by to talk to my dad, and of course Tim was in the shop with him. So I begin talking to the new guy and normal questions unsue: 'What are you going to college for' etc. I answer him: 'MIS (Management Information systems)' and explain what it means so he can understand.

He then proceeds to go on and on about everything he knows about computers (that they have a processor is about all he actually got out), and tells me that he upgraded the processor on his PS3, and that after the PS4 came out, they started selling a replacement processor for the PS3........ I stood there completely dumbfounded and confused. I tried to explain to him that he was wrong, and that I was pretty sure that the processor in a PS3 was sautered to the board and even if it wasn't that Sony doesn't and wouldn't make a new processor 'upgrade' for the PS3... I was just so blown away.

He continued to argue with me that they did sell a processor upgrade, and said 'No man, I bought one, you just plug it in through one of the ports (i assume he ment usb) and it works!' I tried to explain to him once more... He followed up with 'it was a 1tb processor upgrade that makes the playstation faster'.

*Ding Ding* we have the issue... This idiot thought that a new hard drive was a processor, and that a new hard drive would make the playstation play games better... I stopped dead in my tracks, just agreed with him (as to not waste my time) and went back to the conversation I was having with my Father.

Any supporting evidence by your friend?

I think he then said: "Dude, *insert csgo team name here* play at 120FPS, how come you get more FPS than them?"

i'm a potato

Nope .

Your version means all people think they know everything whereas it is actually a subset of all the people.

The words WHO or THOSE can indicate a subset.

So either "The people WHO think..."  or "THOSE(colloquially THEM)  THAT think" would be OK, but certainly not "The people think..."

B) theanks.

Those people that think no matter the cpu, more cores = better.  lol. 

I still explain its more about the core design and speed of the processor than cores these days.  More cores are better dont get me wrong, but a fast core makes more difference imo.  

personally, im better off with a balance. but thats because of what im going to be doing with my PC.

most people are better off with a quadcore at a slightly above stock clock speed.    

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

My I.T teacher said that putting an SSD in a PS4 will make it render graphics faster.

Workstation:

Intel Core i7 6700K | AMD Radeon R9 390X | 16 GB RAM

Mobile Workstation:

MacBook Pro 15" (2017) | Intel Core i7 7820HQ | AMD Radeon Pro 560 | 16 GB RAM

My I.T teacher said that putting an SSD in a PS4 will make it render graphics faster.

it works 

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

DON'T TRUST A BRAND. READ THE REVIEWS.

did you make that video?

Me and my friends were playing cs go. This kid just bought his brand new Alienware. He was like "Its only a gtx 970 guys" with a sarcastic tone, like he is so proud of it even tho he was lagging and having trouble playing the game. I wanted to tell him so bad that its a 970m not a 970 and he overpayed for it and also alienware have bad quality products I think he payed $1500 for it, not hating, speaking from experience, I owned an alienware once.

He continued to argue with me that they did sell a processor upgrade, and said 'No man, I bought one, you just plug it in through one of the ports (i assume he ment usb) and it works!' I tried to explain to him once more... He followed up with 'it was a 1tb processor upgrade that makes the playstation faster'.

*Ding Ding* we have the issue... This idiot thought that a new hard drive was a processor, and that a new hard drive would make the playstation play games better... I stopped dead in my tracks, just agreed with him (as to not waste my time) and went back to the conversation I was having with my Father.

Actually using an SSD or SSHD instead of the HDD can help loading times a bit. They might have confused processor speed with loading times. Not gunna do anything about frame rates or graphics tho

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Me and my friends were playing cs go. This kid just bought his brand new Alienware. He was like "Its only a gtx 970 guys" with a sarcastic tone, like he is so proud of it even tho he was lagging and having trouble playing the game. I wanted to tell him so bad that its a 970m not a 970 and he overpayed for it and also alienware have bad quality products I think he payed $1500 for it, not hating, speaking from experience, I owned an alienware once.

Ok, tell him that it really is a 970m, he's not getting performance close to a desktop grade 970.

As for the Alienware products, quality is not shabby. Price is. Price is ridiculous as they make a serious premium off of their PCs. I have an X51 R1 myself, and it's not terrible. Build quality is alright, compartment design is pretty good, and upgradability is somewhat reasonable for the itty bitty case that they've chosen. Only thing that sucks are temps and an external 330W PSU. And the price tag

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Ok, tell him that it really is a 970m, he's not getting performance close to a desktop grade 970.

As for the Alienware products, quality is not shabby. Price is. Price is ridiculous as they make a serious premium off of their PCs. I have an X51 R1 myself, and it's not terrible. Build quality is alright, compartment design is pretty good, and upgradability is somewhat reasonable for the itty bitty case that they've chosen. Only thing that sucks are temps and an external 330W PSU. And the price tag

Lol ok ill try to tell him next time. Well ill tell you my experience with Alienware. I had a shitty 14 inch laptop which broke within about 6-8 months, long time ago I cant remember exactly. Then I didn't know that it was broken because everything runs but nothing was working properly, can't use battery, can't use gpu, cant even install geforce driver. I just thought that the batter was dead at the time and didn't think much of it since I wasn't tech savy back then. So one day I finally decided to call Alienware to fix my shitty laptop, the warranty ran out, so I had to pay $400 to get it fixed. I was like f that, I sold the laptop cheap and learn to build a pc from my brother. How much did you pay for ur pc?

Lol ok ill try to tell him next time. Well ill tell you my experience with Alienware. I had a shitty 14 inch laptop which broke within about 6-8 months, long time ago I cant remember exactly. Then I didn't know that it was broken because everything runs but nothing was working properly, can't use battery, can't use gpu, cant even install geforce driver. I just thought that the batter was dead at the time and didn't think much of it since I wasn't tech savy back then. So one day I finally decided to call Alienware to fix my shitty laptop, the warranty ran out, so I had to pay $400 to get it fixed. I was like f that, I sold the laptop cheap and learn to build a pc from my brother. How much did you pay for ur pc?

Aw man that sucks the big one. I bought mine in the 8th grade, I'm in 11th now, so about 3-4 years this thing's been with me, no real problems besides the bad temps (kinda forgivable for small case), ext PSU (kinda forgivable for small case) and needing to upgrade to an SSD (need to install win 10) and 970 (haven't done yet)

It was supposedly 1,200 bucks, but with a student discount it was 1 grand exact

I got low 60s CPU and 45 GPU idle, and low 70s CPU and 70-80ish GPU under gaming load

Upgrading to a new case is a bitch, because the IO shield is embedded into the case, and I doubt AW sells those by themselves