Experiences with non-techies

so my grandma baught a new phone... because the last ones battery died and she thought it was broken

To be honest if a phone's battery has reached the end of its life, it is pretty much time for an upgrade.  Rather than repair a phone with a new battery and still have the old (possibly about to fail) components buy new.  Of course if the battery has died PDQ because it was crappy in the first place a repair under guarantee may be the way to go .

Mind you grandmas might be a different story, not on the upgrade every two years or so but use the same mobile for 10 years.

Anecdote:-

I do not have a smart phone instead have a (pre even flip phones) mobile phone [1] I have had it nearly ten years  and it was purchased as an out of date/end of line unit (£8 in total with a £5 card so actual phone was £3) .  Oh and it is still on its original battery.  Ten days battery life hah! 340 hours baby (over a fortnight).  It does very little, you can time things and play snake, but most of all you can call people and text them.

Mind you I am a bit old for Facebook and Twitter (52)

[1] Motorola C115  http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_c115-876.php

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

To be honest if a phone's battery has reached the end of its life, it is pretty much time for an upgrade.  Rather than repair a phone with a new battery and still have the old (possibly about to fail) components buy new.  Of course if the battery has died PDQ because it was crappy in the first place a repair under guarantee may be the way to go .

Mind you grandmas might be a different story, not on the upgrade every two years or so but use the same mobile for 10 years.

Anecdote:-

I do not have a smart phone instead have a (pre even flip phones) mobile phone [1] I have had it nearly ten years  and it was purchased as an out of date/end of line unit (£8 in total with a £5 card so actual phone was £3) .  Oh and it is still on its original battery.  Ten days battery life hah! 340 hours baby (over a fortnight).  It does very little, you can time things and play snake, but most of all you can call people and text them.

Mind you I am a bit old for Facebook and Twitter (52)

[1] Motorola C115  http://www.gsmarena.com/motorola_c115-876.php

I think he probably meant that the battery ran out of charge, and plugging it in would recharge it.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

I think he probably meant that the battery ran out of charge, and plugging it in would recharge it.

TY for the clarification. I shouldn't comment on an empty head.

"This too shall pass"

People always call a PC, a CPU. I used to do this too but now it annoys me as hell and every time I try to fix them, they always have that smug look on their face like "so what?" or "who cares".

Yeah, it's confusing....

They call PC a CPU which can cause confusion for some people, I would think CPU, real CPU.

They call HDD the memory, I'd think it's the RAM instead.

FgYyx.jpg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

New story!

In our computer lab, working on Dell Computers.

(I am talking to one of my interns who works at a school)

Me: So are all the computers okay?

Intern: Yeah, but one of the computers won't turn on, the orange light in the front just keeps flashing.

Me: Okay, have you spent any money on the problem?

Intern: Yeah, I got a replacement psu. It cost about $180

Me: 250 Watt? 80+?

Intern: Yeah.

Me: Did it fix it?

Intern: No.

Me: Alright, try reseating the ram.

Intern: What? That can't be the problem! Listen bud, I got CompTIA Certified.

Me: You are my paid intern, you will do as I say. Also, you don't have 15 years of expirence.

Intern: No! I am CompTIA certified, and I know that isn't the issue!

Me: Listen, just do as I say, or you are going to be layed off.

*Gasps from the 27 students in the room*

Intern: Fine. I'll do it.

Me: thanks.

*5 min later*

Intern: I reseated the ram.

Me: Did it work?

Intern: No! It didn't you asshat! (Yes he said that in front of 27 6th graders)

*I go reseat the RAM*

Intern: What did you do?

Me: Reseated the RAM.

Intern: What?

Me: Just putting the RAM back in case doesn't work. Also, you are a terrible cable manager.

Intern: F*ckface...

Me: when we are done, you meet me outside.

Intern: I don't have too.

Me: Fine then, you have to options *I pull out my clip-board* I can sign your resignation, and it won't go on your employers record, or I can fire you, and you don't get a job in the IT industry ever again.

Intern: You can't do that! I am hard working.

Me: you just called me an asshat in front of my 11 year old son. You are going to be layed off as you are un-beneficial to the company financially.

*About a year later I ran into the guy at frys and said he said to an older lady that Intel was the only good brand and that AMD is owned by a warlord out in the Middle East*

And that was that. It turned out he faked his CompTIA Certs. too.

New story!

Intern: Yeah, but one of the computers won't turn on, the orange light in the front just keeps flashing.

Me: You are my paid intern, you will do as I say. Also, you don't have 15 years of expirence.

*5 min later*

*I go reseat the RAM*

Me: Just putting the RAM back in case doesn't work. Also, you are a terrible cable manager.

Me: Fine then, you have to options *I pull out my clip-board* I can sign your resignation, and it won't go on your employers record, or I can fire you, and you don't get a job in the IT industry ever again.

Me: you just called me an asshat in front of my 11 year old son. You are going to be layed off as you are un-beneficial to the company financially.

*About a year later I ran into the guy at frys and said he said to an older lady that Intel was the only good brand and that AMD is owned by a warlord out in the Middle East*

I hate it when people think that certificate means that they know absolutely everything.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

that's true, right?

"Never quote yourself"

-I need a better name

that's true, right?

The entire story is true.

Oh you mean the war world thing.

Yeah no that isn't true.

I cringed. And I cringed HARD.

I hope not. I really do hope he's not that thick-headed.

Oh yeah he was.

The story was true

So my mom was mocking me last January for spending £2000 on my PC, saying that her £1000 Apple-branded-laptop is so much better because of reasons, and I should've gotten one too instead.

Now she can barely use it because it overheats if you open more than 2 browser tabs. And every time it does, I remind her of two years ago, when she decided to buy the Apple laptop against my recommendation of not doing so because it sucks... and then I laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

i7 4790K || R9 290X + R9 290 || 16GB G.Skill TridentX 1866 || Gigabyte Z97MX Gaming 5 || Crucial MX100 256GB || WD Caviar Blue 1TB

I got cancer from this story. 

That is all.

Don't worry, this guy probably rolled around in a toxic waste pile.

I pretty sure his emission will be enough to cure you.

Also, this guy is the reason all my interns are paid only by the school and not me.

My brother who is an IT guy. Legit IT person, knows a lot about computers, got a college degree in computer networking.

One day he asks me, "why doesn't the printer work"

I replied "Did you plug it in?"

He was like "nvm"

LOLOLOL!

New story!

*5 min later*

*I go reseat the RAM*

I remember when one month ago I'd just got this new set of RAM, I plugged the sticks in, went to the BIOS... and only 3/4 sticks were working.

I was so sad thinking that I would have to send the entire set back to get replaced since I didn't want to risk compromising the quad channel compatibility by using sticks made at different times.

I just didn't want to wait another week to get my RAM upgrade.

Anyway, eventually I've thought to myself "maybe it's one of the RAM slots to be faulty" so I went on to test one by one, and eventually I've figured out that not only there weren't faulty, but none of the sticks were as well.

I know this is going as OT as possible, but my point is that for some people IT is a job, for others is an hobby from which sometimes you earn money from.

I've never had to study to learn how to build a PC or how to use Photoshop, I just learned it, like how I learn how to play a new videogame.

Well another story about my incompetent father.

It has been going on for a year now, he doesnt know how to use his damn Galaxy S5. He uses me for ridiculous things like sending emails and deleing apps off homescreen. This has been going on ever since August 2014 when he got the phone (he pays £40 a month for unlimited everything + 2GB tethering on Three). 

Well i told him kindly that i will download the manual and paste a link on the homescreen. He laughs it off, tells my mum and i get a shouting. I explain that i have been doing this for a year now. And she is like: "He is your dad!". It amazes me that both tell me to be independent and yet they cant use a damn smarphone and tablet, let alone my custom rig. 

Damn Bloody Asians!

Any of you have a solution to this?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Daily Devices:Sony Xperia XZ1 Compact and 128GB iPad Pro

It has been going on for a year now, he doesnt know how to use his damn Galaxy S5. He uses me for ridiculous things like sending emails and deleing apps off homescreen. This has been going on ever since August 2014 when he got the phone (he pays £40 a month for unlimited everything + 2GB tethering on Three). 

Well i told him kindly that i will download the manual and paste a link on the homescreen. He laughs it off, tells my mum and i get a shouting. I explain that i have been doing this for a year now. And she is like: "He is your dad!". It amazes me that both tell me to be independent and yet they cant use a damn smarphone and tablet, let alone my custom rig. 

Damn Bloody Asians!

have you tried turning them off and back on again?

Hey guys I have amazing new news! According to someone I know who has no clue what a GPU is, the GT series ones are better than the GTX series ones because they have bigger numbers (they go in the thousands, GTXs are only at 980 right now)! Go get them now! Run Crysis 3 or Witcher 3 at max graphics with nothing but a 256MB GT6800!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

have you tried turning them off and back on again?

LOL, but it was a serious question. How do i deal with them?

Current Rig:   CPU: AMD 1950X @4Ghz. Cooler: Enermax Liqtech TR4 360. Motherboard:Asus Zenith Extreme. RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR4 3666. GPU: Reference GTX 970  SSD: 250GB Samsung 970 EVO.  HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 2TB. Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro. PSU: Corsair RM1000X. OS: Windows 10 Pro UEFI mode  (installed on SSD)

Peripherals:  Display: Acer XB272 1080p 240Hz G Sync Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Brown Mouse: Logitech G502 RGB Headhet: Roccat XTD 5.1 analogue

Hey guys I have amazing new news! According to someone I know who has no clue what a GPU is, the GT series ones are better than the GTX series ones because they have bigger numbers (they go in the thousands, GTXs are only at 980 right now)! Go get them now! Run Crysis 3 or Witcher 3 at max graphics with nothing but a 256MB GT6800!

My gt9800 has definitely make her job for few years :D

Damn Bloody Asians!

So you have been his unpaid tech support for a year? 

< > How many years did he spend changing your shitty nappies?  How many years did he spend working to buy you things?  How many... well you get the picture.

Since time immemorial children have felt their parents don't know what's happening whilst parents think their children are the first ever to be so ungrateful.

Parents are like that, the best of the best at times others they are infuriating, you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

When you have kids it will be your turn to say "I can't work (whatever widget is unimaginable just now but fairly common place then), how do I do it again.." for over a year.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

"This too shall pass"

So my mom was mocking me last January for spending £2000 on my PC, saying that her £1000 Apple-branded-laptop is so much better because of reasons, and I should've gotten one too instead.

Now she can barely use it because it overheats if you open more than 2 browser tabs. And every time it does, I remind her of two years ago, when she decided to buy the Apple laptop against my recommendation of not doing so because it sucks... and then I laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

How about instead of laughing you do your job as the "IT Savvy kid" and fix it for her.

That is, if you aren't ignorant and realize that apple products are also PC's...

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

post-239070-0-39623700-1441151921.jpg

This right here. *facepalm*

post-239070-0-39623700-1441151921.jpg

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

So you have been his unpaid tech support for a year? 

< > How many years did he spend changing your shitty nappies?  How many years did he spend working to buy you things?  How many... well you get the picture.

Since time immemorial children have felt their parents don't know what's happening whilst parents think their children are the first ever to be so ungrateful.

Parents are like that, the best of the best at times others they are infuriating, you just have to take the rough with the smooth.

When you have kids it will be your turn to say "I can't work (whatever widget is unimaginable just now but fairly common place then), how do I do it again.." for over a year.

Plus ça change, plus c'est la même chose

I am speaking for all my fellow techies out there. It sucks, and my A-levels start tomorrow

FML