Experiences with non-techies

My friend told me about a guy he was talking to on Steam who wanted to build his own computer. No big deal. My friend asked what his specs would be. Here they are.

AMD FX-6300

GTX980

H100i GTX CPU Cooler

6TB HDD Storage

500W PSU

Now you'll probably notice I didn't mention a motherboard or RAM or even a case. Get this. The guy wanted to buy a $500 pre-built, get the case (which is incredibly small yet an ATX and will probably not fit the 240mm rad at all), motherboard, and RAM, and then just buy the rest of it.

Oh yeah, and an FX-6300 with a GTX980?

post-239070-0-05453400-1440605121.gif

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Who owns CD's anymore?  :huh:

Me.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

So a year ago I decided to modernize my parents a bit and replace their old phones with smart ones(goodbye 10 day battery life...). So first was my mother, then my father(both got a Moto G). A week after my dad received his gift, he calls me and starts to explain how he transferred the birthdays from the calendar from his older phone( ffs a 12 year-old Sony brick, which worked almost like day 1 and the damage it had taken was because it was dropped many times and submerged a couple... not to mention, that it has tasted alcohol also...). The problem was, that he created a one time events and didn't know, that a yearly events existed, so he continued adding events(manually) for the birthdays for the year after.

Now, the strangest part - the call was around lunch time and I told him, that there's an option for yearly events and he doesn't need to add all the birthdays manually for each year. On the same day in the evening I receive another call from him in which he bragged about, how he managed to make all of the birthday entries to yearly ones without any help(he's not a fan of google and he doesn't understand English).

Sometimes my parents amaze me :)

I'm a it support engineer and today I went to a customers as her keyboard was playing up irratically.

She said yesterday at lunch it just started happening.

Turned over the keyboard banged it on the desk.

Out fell crumbs of her lunch.

Thank you £80 + VAT, love the easy ones.

--snip*flipsoverakeyboardgetspayed*--

Thank you £80 + VAT, love the easy ones.

You...you bought them a new mechanical keyboard...ri...right?

ok, at UK prices you'd have no margin left. It's like £80 = $80 US when it comes to tech. I need to buy stuff before the adjust MSRPs to match my CDN ex-petrodollars.

You...you bought them a new mechanical keyboard...ri...right?

Might buy myself one now. :)

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I don't know where else..

I got a letter from the doctor about an appointment for a scan. At the bottom it mentions that music will be played during the scan and if " wish to bring [my] own CD may"...

I own about 250 music CD's xD

So I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this but I don't know where else..

I got a letter from the doctor about an appointment for a scan. At the bottom it mentions that music will be played during the scan and if " wish to bring [my] own CD may"...

I do.

Except I use them for bootables.

LMAO! that is awesome. never seen that before. I gotta send that to a couple ppl.

Im legitimately curious as to what the hell that even does lol! hoping for the troll virus http://sourceforge.net/projects/thetrollvirus/

Im pretty sure it doesn't download anything. It just looks like it does.

If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0 

- Cynosure

Today on Today on Yahoo Answers:

tVjVPFm.png

It ticks me off that you have "Today on" twice

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

This guy right here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AskReddit/comments/3ilfl6/what_is_the_most_computer_illiterate_thing_youve/cuifzjo?context=3

K3opvm1.png

NOTE: He posted this in a reddit that is about experiences with non techies

My beast (PC):

• ASUS R.O.G. Rampage IV Black Edition, X79, LGA2011, AC4
  • 2x ASUS Fury X
  • Intel Core i7 4930K BOX (LGA 2011, 3.40GHz) OC @4.4GHz
  • Corsair H100i, CPU Cooler (240mm)
  • Samsung SSD 830 Series (512GB)
  • Samsung SSD 850 Pro 1TB
  • Western Digital 512GB HDD
  • TridentX 4x 8GB 2400MHz
  • Corsair Obsidian 900D

Old people

but im only 16. O.o

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

It ticks me off that you have "Today on" twice

today on, <title of series>

i grinds my goat too, but its still technically correct. since the second ''today on'' is just part of the title.

its like when people still say Geforce GTX before the model number, or put GTX afterwards. (a habbit of mine that i constantly catch myself doing. v-v )

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

snip

Plugged to CPU?

c3d0981ae770f926eedf4eda7505b006.jpeg

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

today on, <title of series>

yeah that makes sense, but it still irritates me

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Haha thanks Reddit!!!!

"I think this is a virus, so I forwarded it to you".

That's like kicking down the door of the doctor's office and bleeding into his mouth, saying "DOES THIS TASTE LIKE AIDS?"

Hmmm, your AIDS tastes different than that other lady's AIDS...

Not really any stand-out moments, just general issues where other people don't know much about computers.

THEM: "I tried downloading this file, but can't find it."

ME: "It should be in the Downloads folder."

THEM: "Where's the Downloads folder?"

ME: "Just start up File Explorer and you can get to the Downloads folder."

THEM: "Where's File Explorer?"

I used to do home network and computer setup for the general public to make extra money and I had to stop before I lost my mind dealing with stupid people. And I mean stupid people who make your head hurt. You get a call, they cant get on the internet, show up and they didnt have the dam cat5 plugged into the computer. Their computer wont turn on, get there and the switch on the power strip is off... its why I drink whiskey!

I was at an insurance company place and there was old ass PC's running Windows 98. IM NOT EVEN KIDDING. They were using office '97 and everything.

Edit: The PC's were actually made for Windows 98 as well, in case you didn't understand it completely (win 98 era pc's).

I was at an insurance company place and there was old ass PC's running Windows 98. IM NOT EVEN KIDDING. They were using office '97 and everything.

What did they do when shit didn't work? I highly doubt any support company would cover Win 98.

Our school was having "network issues" when we had to play a game. Because they were using an out of date flash plugin, so I got yelled at for trying to see if I could install opera, and of they are going to make me use a pc for 12 weeks, I better install my primary browser extensions; uBlock and for my sake in a school, Tunnelbear. I was caught "installing virus" despite you can't install anything unless you have an admin account. Then the next day I walk in, the same damn problem. Flash plugin not updated. Same bloody excuse; "our network is experiencing some issues", as they dont fucking know what is going on, despite the bloody fact that it says: Adobe Flash Player is blocked due to it being out of date, and of course the damn firewall wouldnt let me update that shit. On the first day of school, I went to the room, when in the middle of the class, the computers just shut off, most likely because someone bumped the power strip off button. as only a row of pc's turned off. Not everything. Simple fucking logic. And my biggest pet peeve is when someone calls a pc a hard drive, and they do that. ugh. Plus, they also should have REAL network problems because they have a server rack, with no UPS despite they are running that poor thing 24/7, and no casing, which someone could pull on wires, fall over and trip on a power cord, knock over the rack if they didnt know what it did, and many other things. So they should really listen to me for damn sure.

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

Our school was having "network issues" when we had to play a game. Because they were using an out of date flash plugin, so I got yelled at for trying to see if I could install opera, and of they are going to make me use a pc for 12 weeks, I better install my primary browser extensions; uBlock and for my sake in a school, Tunnelbear. I was caught "installing virus" despite you can't install anything unless you have an admin account. Then the next day I walk in, the same damn problem. Flash plugin not updated. Same bloody excuse; "our network is experiencing some issues", as they dont fucking know what is going on, despite the bloody fact that it says: Adobe Flash Player is blocked due to it being out of date, and of course the damn firewall wouldnt let me update that shit. On the first day of school, I went to the room, when in the middle of the class, the computers just shut off, most likely because someone bumped the power strip off button. as only a row of pc's turned off. Not everything. Simple fucking logic. And my biggest pet peeve is when someone calls a pc a hard drive, and they do that. ugh. Plus, they also should have REAL network problems because they have a server rack, with no UPS despite they are running that poor thing 24/7, and no casing, which someone could pull on wires, fall over and trip on a power cord, knock over the rack if they didnt know what it did, and many other things. So they should really listen to me for damn sure.

I hate those "technicans"

They think they know EVERYTHING... but they know SHIIT!

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

So I'm doing an internship at my local high school as a summer thing. Now, those of you who know what high school is like already knows that teachers aren't exactly the most technologically adept people.

On Monday, a teacher came down to the IT room to tell us that her computer was making a terrible grinding noise, and I was sent to her room to investigate. When I got down there, it was indeed making a terrible grinding noise, so I took it down to the IT room to investigate. After some back and forth-ing, we determined the cause.

The teacher thought it was the hard drive, and that her computer was dropped by the cleaning crew at some point. It was actually a straw from a can of air getting stuck in the fan.