Experiences with non-techies

There are the people that want to download more RAM. Also it's fun when everyone who sees my pebble calls it the iwatch. I was trying to help fix my girlfriend's computer and I told her to go to the desktop. She just giggled and asked what it was...

"Public" computers in the middle of a mall? Wut? Don't think I've heard of such a thing.  :huh: That like computers at a library that anyone can use?

pretty much yeah!

http://www.mailchamplain.ca/en/mobile/services

- Two stations of six computers with free wireless access

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Tablets and smartphones are making them stupid. Soon nobody in my generation or younger will know how to use a desktop.

This is true ironic since im using a tablet now

Showed my console-loving (blech) friend my custom built PC (with the lid off ;)) and he pretty much said that his PS4 had better than whatever part I would name. For example, if I said "yep and I have 1TB of WD 7200RPM HDD Storage", then he would reply with "Yeah my PS4 has that only its much faster at 2TB per second and can hold up to 10K RPM."

Then he gets on me about the simplicity of plug n play of his console though it really isn't (updates, system config, etc.) and says my computer is too complex to be considered useful. What?!

Triple facepalm

And the one time my mate bought a 4k tv for his ps4

Lol I had a console peasant friend like that.. Got tired of his assholery so I told him to fuck off and not talk to me earlier today haha

My friend had a square led watch with a shiny surface on it. It looked like the samsung galaxy gear watch so everyone thought it was the "new samsung watch".

Dell Inspiron 7520 15R: Cpu: Intel Core i7 3612QM @2.10Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3 1600MHZ, Storage: 1TB 5400RPM HDD, Os: WIndows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit EP1;

Lenovo Yoga 11e Chromebook: Cpu: Intel Celeron N2930 @1.83Ghz, Ram: 8GB DDR3L 1333MHZ, Storage: 16GB eMMC, Os: Google Chrome Os;

grew up in a family of 7, 4 boys. the logical answer is a console at that point. 4 budget PCs at the time are 600$ each. thats 2400 in just hardware. then another 240$ for every game that comes out? thats INSAINE. or just 400 upfront then a bunch of 60$ games that we can all share.

we did have 3 pcs though. I always got hand me down parts growing up until I was 14ish, then I bought my own. I had my own pc since before I could read, so was lucky in that aspect. 

well, chances are not every single one of the seven kids erent gaming fanatics, and chances are EXTREMLY HIGH even if they are that not all of them like the same games. 

take me for example. 

i play free, cheap, and stuff that was given to me. why? because that jsut so happens to be where all my interests fell. *shrugs*

some dude from here on LTT friended me on steam, asked if i wanted skyrim, i said sure. 

-recieves the 90$ version, and all the official DLC- 

*gulp* 

other than that i play valve games starbound and some free MMOs . xD ive spent more on hardware than i EVER have on software. xP 

except WoW back when i played it. ;~~~; i'd be about 1500USD happier if i never got into WoW. ;~~~; 

Challenge accepted?

Because that's the budget for my next project...

Hint: It's an APU... with a cheap case and PSU... and a recycled HDD... running on Linux...

it's good for something... but definitely not for hardcore gaming...

Seriously though...

Some people really expect top tier performance when they get a cheapo PC...

or when they splurge on a prebuilt 'gaming' PC with an i7 paired with a 730...

Heck, I'd want to hate on people buying prebuilts altogether, but prebuilts have the convenience factor... especially if you're too busy to assemble and  troubleshoot on your own...

give me a form factor, and a budget, and a use case. i will produce a pcpartpicker list that will be damn neer perfect if not 100% spot on. 

Little off-topic, but:

You think this thread gives loads of notifications?

attachicon.gifLTT please2.jpg

I was away for 9 hours (sleep), and I got this many notifications. It has been fairly normal for me for over a year now. Most of it comes from a single off-topic thread too. And yes, I do read them all.

you have no idea. xP 

when i went on my hiatus, was like half a week? 

came back to 2058 notifications. 

i read the first nine and said fuck it. xD 

i need to put that in my signiature. ''if your action isnt in the first 10 notifications, i aint ever gon' see dat shit. '' 

speaking of i need to set some of my thred follows to a different priority, 

is there a way to make it so i only get 1 notification per thread, but it stays in the top of the list? :/ that'd be nice. 

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

So my cousin wants to buy a laptop for league, terraria, and civ. Alright, I can help with that.

Me- I found one for about $750, 1080p 950m and an i5, seems about right for civ and maby a bit of other things.  (if ya know what i mean ;) )

Him- meh, it looks kinda ugly.

Me- I guess, if silver and black isn't your thing. (some asus laptop that is kinda alright looking)

Him- What about this HP...

Me- overpriced...

Him- Laptop for about $400.

Me- Yah no. Whats in it for the lolz ?

Him- uuuuuuh, some amd A8.

Me- Yah, no. What about my proposition?

Him- no, it's ugly. Theres this ASUS ROG one with a i7 in it for about $1000.

Me- What gpu though?

Him- A 960m.

Me- For what you are planning to do, you don't need that.

Him- But it's black.

Me- Yess....

Him- and an i7

Me.   .___.

Him....

Me- Don't you need a better gpu in your desktop though?

something better than that 650?

Him- Yah, but...

Me- If you get the $750 one, you can still buy a nice gpu and be able tom play gemes at 60 fps with nice settings.

Him- But i want this.

Me- Fine, do what you wan't but don't come crying to me when you become unsatisfied with your desktop not doing well in most modern games. (w8ich is somehow filled with viruses. How do you even get viruses??)

People should really listen to us techies.

TL;DR- My cousin is an idiot.

Star Citizen referral codes, to help support your fellow comrades!
UOLTT Discord server, come on over and chat!

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Damn you're like a modular human being. -ThatCoolBlueKidd

Me- Fine, do what you wan't but don't come crying to me when you become unsatisfied with your desktop not doing well in most modern games. (w8ich is somehow filled with viruses. How do you even get viruses??)

Clearly you've never met that nigerian prince who's been sending emails around.

Wait, he has a desktop with a 650 in it, and then wants a laptop for ONLY league, terraria and civ? Civ 5 is the most demanding out of all 3 games, and requires a min of ATI HD 2600XT, which is the same as an intel HD4000 iGPU. You literally could have gotten him like a 500-600 laptop and then upgrade his 650 to a 970 or similar

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

snip

It's hard to convince someone once they've found their "Mate", they can be stubborn.... My friend saw an MSI laptop (forgot which one) and he said that he wanted the laptop, I said to him that he didn't need this laptop. Because he uses his laptop for work, not gaming. But he wants the laptop just because of the color (black) and the keyboard, also i7.... The laptop he wants is expensive as f*ck, I forgot how much.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

So my cousin wants to buy a laptop for league, terraria, and civ. Alright, I can help with that.

idk man. if he lives kinda close you coulda just asked him to bring it over to your place and you could use plastidip or some paint and made it less uggy. :D 

I HAVE NO IDEA xD 

ive onyl ever gotten one virus in the last 12 years. AND I WASNT EVEN THE ONE TO GET IT ON MY COMPUTER

i dont understand how people fuck up that badly. ;~~~; 

Clearly you've never met that nigerian prince who's been sending emails around.

Wait, he has a desktop with a 650 in it, and then wants a laptop for ONLY league, terraria and civ? Civ 5 is the most demanding out of all 3 games, and requires a min of ATI HD 2600XT, which is the same as an intel HD4000 iGPU. You literally could have gotten him like a 500-600 laptop and then upgrade his 650 to a 970 or similar

terraria can get pretty bogged down even on a low tier GPU. its moddable. so yah. 

starbound too. you'd expect mid tier APU to handle starbound with a couple race mods and a GUI mod. but LOLNOPE. buterysmooth14fpsbrahgitonmilevul

Watch out for each other. Love everyone and forgive everyone, including yourself. Forgive your anger, forgive your guilt. Your shame. Your sadness. Embrace and open up your love, your joy, your truth, and most especially your heart. 
-Jim Hensen

Today on Today on Yahoo Answers:

-snip in purple-

I got another. :P

dumb-yahoo-answers-internet-public.jpg

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

I got another. :P

dumb-yahoo-answers-internet-public.jpg

Lol, Bob used to be a guy who posted on YA a lot. Now the site is total shit and very few smart people remain...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I HAVE NO IDEA xD 

ive onyl ever gotten one virus in the last 12 years. AND I WASNT EVEN THE ONE TO GET IT ON MY COMPUTER

i dont understand how people fuck up that badly. ;~~~; 

Was so bad I got his cpu usage at idle from 40% to around 5%

i7 4790k/ Bequiet Pure Rock/Asrock h97 PRO4/ 8 GB Crucial TT/ Corsair RM 750/ H-440 Custom/  PNY GT 610

Was so bad I got his cpu usage at idle from 40% to around 5%

I've seen 99% at idle. Don't worry. :P

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

snip

To be honest, I like his answer :P

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

afbfef4d06.png

This is just weird.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

on what? He was running a 4690k

I've seen 100% idle on a clean system with nothing installed.

Turns out it was windows update on a 1.7ghz single core.

Hehe. Know that double click thing pretty well.

I remember back in after-school-club (Direct translation from danish (atleast what we called it)) when people played racing games on the playstation 1, and they sat and turned the controller. Motion controls, now with 100% less motion control.

Yeah, same thing here in Sweden, a console generation later, at Fritids, or Free time's, as it would directly translate to. It's where you go if your parent(s) couldn't pick you up right after school and/or you weren't permitted to go home by yourself. Always would they turn and twist the controllers. At least they acknowledged it. Yet they kept on doing it. I figure you cant really help it. It's not about motion controlls, it's about getting immersed with the game.

Yeah, same thing here in Sweden, a console generation later, at Fritids, or Free time's, as it would directly translate to. It's where you go if your parent(s) couldn't pick you up right after school and/or you weren't permitted to go home by yourself. Always would they turn and twist the controllers. At least they acknowledged it. Yet they kept on doing it. I figure you cant really help it. It's not about motion controlls, it's about getting immersed with the game.

Still a better motion controller than kinect