Experiences with non-techies

OMG when a student saw me go into BIOS and thought I was hacking, I used it to prank him. His computer was the end of the table so when he went to sharpen a pencil. I quickly shut down his computer and went into BIOS making sure that he saw me. He yelled at me to stop so I walked behind the computer unplugging his mouse and keyboard.

(un)fortunately, a good portion of the students at my school know what the BIOS is, so they don't call me out on hacking. They just hang over my shoulder either drooling over the fact that I know what I'm doing, or they ask what every single little thing is even if it's self-explanatory like the system time.

I've built 3 PC's, but none for myself... In fact, I'm using an iMac that my dad bought for me as my desktop. Awkward...

Please don't say "SSD drive." By doing so, you are literally saying "Solid State Drive Drive" and causing my brain cells to commit suicide. The same applies to HDD (Hard Disk Drive) and PCIe (Peripheral Component Interconnect Express).

snip

Showed this to mom, my mom expectation is that I'll be a businessman someday. But at least this makes her calm down :)

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

I am currently enrolled in an Electricity and Electronics for Dummies class this semester... (Screw the university crediting system for math science and tech units... I already took over 30 units in that field (includes over 20 units in engineering) and they only credited 6 units... wtf!?)

Let's just say that I am thankful that the only requirements are exams... I might sit out a few classes for other stuff...

Be hopeful that this doesn't turn into a spamfest, like nearly every thread with over 1000 pages that isn't a giveaway thread...

shh...

I used to get annoyed at my computer crashing, and someone told me, "it crashes cos you yell at it so much!"

Sometimes you just need to whisper "Work, or you're going in the dump." to your PC to make it work...

This one is on me. :P Back when I was a little less understanding of tech, I was messing around with my custon rig's motherboard and hit the Clr CMOS button not really knowing what it did (or caring for that matter xD). I ended up ruining my HDD's boot partition since I didn't reset it to IDE mode in the BIOS (it was running in ADATA at default *shiver*). Took me about 8 hours to figure it out, and 90% of that was Google Searches and Youtube tutorials. Luckily I eventually figured it out and got my partition up and running without messing with my files, but I almost reinstalled Windows 7 twice. 0_0

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Nice....

My friend said that he didn't need anti-virus, he has torrenting habit.

He complains to me about performance issue.

Yeah right, I told him to install anti-virus, he resisted.

Told him to format reinstall, he refused.

What can I do damnit?!

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Nice....

What can I do damnit?!

Install avast and have it run in silent mode??

Install avast and have it run in silent mode??

I can't, I've tried it.... Sometimes he checks "Program and Features", his laptop is doomed but can't be saved that easily.

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

I can't, I've tried it.... Sometimes he checks "Program and Features", his laptop is doomed but can't be saved that easily.

Then it might be about time to surrender... Sometimes people need to learn the hard way...

and there is no such thing as doomed (from a software point of view)... there is just "Use DBAN to save me"...

Then it might be about time to surrender... Sometimes people need to learn the hard way...

and there is no such thing as doomed (from a software point of view)... there is just "Use DBAN to save me"...

He's got serious performance issue, he's turned Windows Defender off as well. Damn can't do a lot, he might learn in the hard way :3

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

Nice....

What can I do damnit?!

Yea, It is kinda sad when they don't want to listen :(

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Like, I told a friend of mine that I would be building a PC, he asked how much It would coust, I saied around 2K€, and he was like "Well, I can get a PC from ASUS much much cheaper and better..." He was talking about a 300€ Prebuilt -.-

bitch please .-.

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

My brother doesn't get why I use KB+Mouse in csgo, claiming his Xbox controller is better.

Get him to play a game with Xbone controller. Post results.

The Dude's PC Build<p>i5 4690k @ 3.5ghz w/ The Crappy Intel Stock Cooler | Asus Z97-K | 8GB Corsair Vengance LP DDR3 RAM @ 1600mhz |1TB Seagate Barracuda + 120GB Samsung Evo SSD | Gigabyte Windforce R9 290 4GB | 650 Watt CoolerMaster Gaming Series PSU | Bitfenix Shinobi Windowed | BenQ GL2460 | Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Brown | Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red gaming mouse | A £0.63 mouse pad from artcow.com

15yr old HDD in one of my laptops failed a month ago. I used this laptop to run Win10PT

The HDD is 15. Years. Old. It was an obvious drive failure from wear and tear.

I opened it up took a picture and sent it to my brother and dad. My brother replies to me that Win10 killed my drive.  :huh:

Please. He is convinced that Win10 is very bad and wont upgrade as he thinks.... well I will let be there, way to much to explain. He allows opinion to sway fact even after fact is is proven. Even my Dad laughed and tried to reason. Waste of time. 

900th page !

*Edit

The HDD is a Fujitsu 160GB 5400RPM SATA(1) drive. Manufactured 2000-01-16

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

ok, the discussion is experiences with non-techies. anything other than discussing

experiences with non-techies should be directed to the proper topic, or make a

constructive thread in the proper forum. seems this has been a dumping ground

for a lot of Off-Topic discussions.

15yr old HDD in one of my laptops failed a month ago. I used this laptop to run Win10PT

The HDD is 15. Years. Old. It was an obvious drive failure from wear and tear.

I opened it up took a picture and sent it to my brother and dad. My brother replies to me that Win10 killed my drive.  :huh:

Please. He is convinced that Win10 is very bad and wont upgrade as he thinks.... well I will let be there, way to much to explain. He allows opinion to sway fact even after fact is is proven. Even my Dad laughed and tried to reason. Waste of time. 

900th page !

*Edit

The HDD is a Fujitsu 160GB 5400RPM SATA(1) drive. Manufactured 2000-01-16

sadly some people paint a mental picture of how something works and for some reason they won't let go of it even when proven wrong ... it's not just about tech, think about some ridiculous conspiracy theories, I have a coworker that has this weird habit of imagining how things work when he can't understand them ... to this day he thinks electrical generators are like "electron black holes" ; they suck "free roaming" electrons out the air and push them down the wires! lol

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Damn that must be tough, yeah my parents even think that programming is a game.

I was practicing, my parent came to my room...

"Dimas, shut down your computer. Stop playing your game!"

"Mom, I'm programming."

"Yeah you need to stop studying about your game!"

"No, no this isn't a game, it's completely different."

*Mom checked my screen

"What's this?! name=raw_input(bla bla bla)"

"That's the code mom, I need to practice, I keep on getting errors."

*I checked my code, new windows popped up

"Ah, I knew it! You're playing hidden games right! Stop lying!"

"No, no...."

*Mom unplugged my PC

"Nice one mom...."

"It's for your own good!"

"Okay...."

Wow that must suck. Also if your mom keeps doing that windows might get messed up. I had do a reinstall due to the pc being turned off in the middle of a boot. Also my parents hate games as well.

Desktop 1: CPU: Intel Core i7 4770  GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 960 Ram: Crucial DDR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Storage: Samsung 850 Evo 250GB and Segate 1TB Hard drive  Desktop 2: CPU: Intel Pentium G3258  GPU: AMD R7 250  Ram: Corsair Vengance DRR3 2x8GB 1600 MHz  Mobo: MSI H81M-E33  PSU: Corsair CX430M  Case: Rosewill MicroAtx Mini Tower

Every time something is not working tech related for the in laws I fix it and explain what was wrong and quickly show how to fix it. No more than 3 seconds later they have forgotten it and I either get asked again straight up or 3 months down the line when the issue is happening again.. Then if something else breaks 'well Josh was the last one to touch it' that goes for non tech related items as well lol

Side note - Tapatalk showed the first few pages and I read the experience the fellow had with the girl who refused to have them fit a HDD then scans the HDD to her desktop and throws the drive away, that is deadset gold haha

Showed this to mom, my mom expectation is that I'll be a businessman someday. But at least this makes her calm down :)

Haha I make no guarantees, I don't even know if the average compsci student goes for engineer.

One dude told me that Canadian university students usually end up being managers though (and code monkey only needs college for cheap.)

tl;dr one web page doesn't tell the whole story of trials, tribulations, and whether AI makes coding or businessmen obsolete in 5 years.