Experiences with non-techies

My friend thinks upgrading his computer means getting a GTX 970 and leaving his old AMD Anthlon ii in his system... WHY???

CPU Ryzen 5 3600 | Motherboard MSI B550 | RAM 32 GB Corsair Vengance Pro | GPU EVGA GTX 980ti | Case Corsair 4000X | Storage Seagate Barracuda 2TB HDD,  Team GX2 1TB SSD | PSU Sentey 850w 80+ Bronze | Cooling AMD Wraith RGB | PCPartPicker URL https://pcpartpicker.com/list/RN7kGc |

My friend thinks upgrading his computer means getting a GTX 970 and leaving his old AMD Anthlon ii in his system... WHY???

That is an upgrade. Not a smart one, no. But it still is an upgrade

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

99% of Experiences with non-techies posts

"Lol so my mom/dad/aunt/someone was complaining about there slow PC and they tell me they visited a website and I shit you not it was called (www.downloadmoreram.com) and this totally happened trust me I know a doctor."

End rant.

Intel Pentium G3258, EVGA 750ti SC http://specr.me/show/658

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fL93YJ
Surrounded by Mormons

14ScjZz.png

nuff said

While an "upgrade" to a GT 740 wouldn't make sense in your ears, it should be enough to run modern games at decent settings. But paying 160$ extra for it... My eyes hurt.

Though, should I be worried that I still use a GTX 550 Ti (with i7 2600K)? Reason is: no money to upgrade, and my GTX 590 died some weeks back, but luckily had my previous graphics card as a backup. It's not powerful, but does the job.

My mom is complaining about her $200 laptop running slow. You get what you pay for

Still better to be using a slow-ish laptop that's less than 300€ (but new) than an over 10 years old desktop PC... My mother just has to deal with the lag of that ancient desktop PC because she just refuses to raise the PC budget above 100€, and expects me to fix the hardware issues for free... Oh, and the former computer she used was an even older, and even slower laptop running XP.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

He still get some fps boost but won't be as it should be, once he upgrade his CPU he should feel lots of different.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

My father bought me a new laptop because my old laptop broke. It was a rushed decision ,since I was gonna be traveling to Europe, and I don't need no foreign keyboard, and also one which I was not present for since I had school. So its a couple weeks before I head back to Canada, and he calls me up, and I tell him that I'm planning on selling the laptop when I get back since the laptop is just shit when it comes to performance, and he tells me; "But it's bigger, the processor is bigger, the hard drive is bigger, the graphics card is bigger, so it's supposed to be faster." Me shaking my head told him that that's not how it works n' all that shit. 

Guy complained to me that his Linovo laptop was freezing up and he could do nothing on it. Told me he had Windows 7 installed...laptop had 1 gig of RAM.

Same guy complained that he couldnt perform functions on his desktop. That things were happening on their own...I told him to clean his keyboard.

snip

My friends think CRT Monitor is a PC, because it's big they think all the parts are inside.... They have 1 in their house, not used, of course they'd go with LCD.

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Guy complained to me that his Linovo laptop was freezing up and he could do nothing on it. Told me he had Windows 7 installed...laptop had 1 gig of RAM.

Same guy complained that he couldnt perform functions on his desktop. That things were happening on their own...I told him to clean his keyboard.

"But I shouldn't have to clean my keyboard, it should be able to clean itself. Can't I just put it in the dishwasher?" -Lazy people

There is actually some good keyboard that you can put into the dishwasher :P but yeah i know what you mean

"But I shouldn't have to clean my keyboard, it should be able to clean itself. Can't I just put it in the dishwasher?" -Lazy people

The best part was, the guy does telecommunications for a living, programming radios.

There is actually some good keyboard that you can put into the dishwasher :P but yeah i know what you mean

Technically, youcan put any keyboard in a dishwasher without soap and let it dry. There are also those rubber keyboards that you can roll that feels like you're pressing down on condom when using it

The best part was, the guy does telecommunications for a living, programming radios.

But he's dealing with programming and radios, not keyboards, so he must not know some important things about kwyboards /s

But he's dealing with programming and radios, not keyboards, so he must not know some important things about kwyboards /s

True, but even though I'm a techie and am going to university for it and all that; isn't it like common knowledge that any type of machine needs to be maintained? I mean, you do an oil change on your car every 3000 miles, you change the blades on your lawn mower once a year, hell; in the Army that is all I did was preventive maintenance, nothing else.

True, but even though I'm a techie and am going to university for it and all that; isn't it like common knowledge that any type of machine needs to be maintained? I mean, you do an oil change on your car every 3000 miles, you change the blades on your lawn mower once a year, hell; in the Army that is all I did was preventive maintenance, nothing else.

And here's a great example of non techies after readin that: They do not understand that a PC needs to be maintained and will degrade in quality over time (mostly the software and HDD). It's like your girlfriend/boyfriend. If they're not taken care of, they'll eventually whine

I was talking with my friend's brother. I was trying to tell him that PC gaming is superior to console gaming. He told me that the Xbox 360 had the best graphics on the market. Keep in mind this was like a year after the Xbox One was released. 

My girlfriend is a non-techie. She has a Macbook Pro for one, even though she only does things like Word and PowerPoint (Windows programs, heh heh). If you have to get a Mac, at least get the right one! 

When I told her I got PC parts for my B'day and built at PC, after showing her a picture she was like: "What's all that crap?"

<Insert joke here>

I was talking with my friend's brother. I was trying to tell him that PC gaming is superior to console gaming. He told me that the Xbox 360 had the best graphics on the market. Keep in mind this was like a year after the Xbox One was released.

My girlfriend is a non-techie. She has a Macbook Pro for one, even though she only does things like Word and PowerPoint (Windows programs, heh heh). If you have to get a Mac, at least get the right one!

When I told her I got PC parts for my B'day and built at PC, after showing her a picture she was like: "What's all that crap?"

Those crap are the blessings of lord Gabe-N

Most of the time when my friends ask me about PC for engineering stuff cause their laptop was bogging them down, I told them the rough spec and price and they just shot me down saying that is expensive and that they don't need that cause it's fast enough. Yes, 2 gb of ram will last you the whole time you're messing around autocad and wave simulations

The few posts about lifting 2TB and heavy servers remind me of this classic quote from QDB:

<cygnus> oi
<cygnus> in windows
<cygnus> what it mean
<cygnus> if the folder has a hand underneaath it
<Sephiroth> means it is shared
<Sephiroth> across your network
<cygnus> how did you know that
<cygnus> i thought it meant itwas heavy
<cygnus> or something
<cygnus> like
<cygnus> it's got 10 gigs in it

(At the time this quote was written 10GB was quite a lot ;) )

Most of the time when my friends ask me about PC for engineering stuff cause their laptop was bogging them down, I told them the rough spec and price and they just shot me down saying that is expensive and that they don't need that cause it's fast enough. Yes, 2 gb of ram will last you the whole time you're messing around autocad and wave simulations

I hate when console fanboys are like: consoles are better than PCs and when I say they should give me a reason, it's normally some shit.

Like bitch, plz!

ALL HAIL GABEN

post-240009-0-36136300-1438950488.gif

post-240009-0-36136300-1438950488.gif

<Insert joke here>

I'll never forget my first AutoCad class in high school. They were running an outdated version, and after I finished every project in like ten-minutes, I'd sit there and mess around with 3ds Max 3. I think the render of my motorcycle is still on the wall there.

I'll never forget my first AutoCad class in high school. They were running an outdated version, and after I finished every project in like ten-minutes, I'd sit there and mess around with 3ds Max 3. I think the render of my motorcycle is still on the wall there.

I our school they run SolidWorks... probably an outdated version as well.

<Insert joke here>

I our school they run SolidWorks... probably an outdated version as well.

My school have inventor pro 2014 on quad core xeon machines with no GPU.

Post a story about some people throwing a $2K PC in the trash because they forgot to turn the monitor on and think its broken = 2 posts. "hehe" and "lul"

Post a topic about cars in a thread about non-techies = 70 posts. MY PROFILE FEED!!! NUUU IT BERNZZZ

What?

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

Post a story about some people throwing a $2K PC in the trash because they forgot to turn the monitor on and think its broken = 2 posts. "hehe" and "lul"

Post a topic about cars in a thread about non-techies = 70 posts. MY PROFILE FEED!!! NUUU IT BERNZZZ

What?

You clearly haven't tried following that thread... (100+ notifs per day on slow days)

And it's also because we have lots of car guys in the forums too...