Experiences with non-techies

Nephew of mine wanted a gaming laptop, I suggested buying a PC for the money he wanted to spend. He didn't listen, went to a shop, asked for some specifications for his new laptop and so it happened.

The guy selling the craptop to him told him there was an optical drive in there, a good videocard for gaming and stuff...

Laptop: No Optical drive, onboard graphics, no microphone in port, 2 usb ports, 500GB HDD and the screen is the worst I've seen, as soon as you move your head the colors change.

Not only am I disappointed in my nephew for not listening and being an idiot, but also in the guy selling this to my (poor) nephew, they barely have any money to spend and he just sold him a device that I could put together myself if I wanted to.

Good thing is that my nephew has no idea what piece of shit he just bought, I taught him how to use Daemon Tools for the DVD's he has which he gets the ISO's from via an old XP computer.

Kids....  <_<

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

Been helping my brother come up with a PC build as he leaves the Xbox 360 in the coming weeks, he refuses to see an SSD being useful and wont pay the $70 for a 120GB boot SSD. He also refuses to see the need for a new monitor and is planning to use his old faithful CRT monitor with his new build. It hurts trying to convince him these things are worth it, heck even my mom who can barely operate a PC knows from what I've told her an SSD is worth it! This is the build we're probably gonna go with by the way if anyone wants to see what his CRT monitor will be powered by. http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/GGsYGX

Yea I just switched to my first SSD (hadn't had a PC since before SSD was even invented) but ye I'll send you a video of my craptop booting in 24 seconds if you want.. (It took well over 2 mins on HDD)

About the ssd you're absolutely right, but good crt monitors are often superior to flat screens in terms of colour reproduction. Many are also 75hz (or even 85hz), not common in flat screen monitors. If it still work well and he doesn't need more desk space it's not a bad idea to keep it and spend his money elsewhere - although if he's buying a 970 (for the love of everything get an r9 390, faster and just as cheap) he should probably aim for 1440p.

As for CRT.. I fucking miss mine to death. Sure it was a massive space hog (19" wide by 23" deep by 30" long) but but it was godly when it came to refresh rate. 60hz stock, 75hz forced, 100hz with refresh force running. Super low latency and best of all.. Free because they were so common.. Ahh the days of Pentium3 and Diablo II..

Yea I just switched to my first SSD (hadn't had a PC since before SSD was even invented) but ye I'll send you a video of my craptop booting in 24 seconds if you want.. (It took well over 2 mins on HDD)

As for CRT.. I fucking miss mine to death. Sure it was a massive space hog (19" wide by 23" deep by 30" long) but but it was godly when it came to refresh rate. 60hz stock, 75hz forced, 100hz with refresh force running. Super low latency and best of all.. Free because they were so common.. Ahh the days of Pentium3 and Diablo II..

If you want to sure, will show it to my brother and see what he says about it, haha.

PC Specs: 

CPU: i7-9700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Elite | RAM: 16GB's Team T-Force Vulcan 3000MHz | GPU: Zotac GTX 1070 8GB AMP! Edition  | Storage: 500GB WD Caviar Blue | 1TB WD Caviar Black | Crucial BX200 240GB SSD | OS: Windows 10 64-bit  | PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold | CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D14 | Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Headphones: Sennheiser HD 598 Special Edition's, HD 598 Cs | Keyboard: CM Storm QuickFire XT MX Blues Monitors: Acer GN246HL 144Hz, Acer G226HQLBbd 60Hz | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro.

My dad has a touch screen camcorder, he asked me to plug it into his large TV so he could show a few of his friends some footage of trains (exciting stuff). After I plugged it in I told him the the TV was now touch screen enabled. Funniest thing I've ever seen was my dad poking this TV for a good 20 seconds then looking confused when it wouldn't work only to turn around and see me rolling on the floor crying with laughter.

My grandmother bought me an MSI A2600 laptop from Staples, it was greeeat for month until the hard drive died, she made me take it in under warrenty, I told her to just let me buy a drive and install it.. Buttt being a stubborn old lady who knows very little about tech I had to bring it in to Staples.. So I didn't get my laptop back for over a year from Staples, and when I did there was massive scratches on the lid, screws floating around behind the screen, my Bluetooth card was gone and to top it all off there was a massive amount of dead pixels in the oled display.. So I got to use my $600 laptop for about 2 months total before i threw it out. Needless to say she apologized and told me I was right in the first place

How the hell does your hard drive die after a month?

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

My friends think Linux users are all hackers....

Where I hang out: The Garage - Car Enthusiast Club

My cars: 2006 Mazda RX-8 (MT) | 2014 Mazda 6 (AT) | 2009 Honda Jazz (AT)

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

Funny story, someone once asked why a HDD would die after a month!  :ph34r:

:P  :P

VERY FUNNY! I AM NOT AMUSED

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Funny story, someone once asked why a HDD would die after a month!  :ph34r:

:P  :P

BRkqJw2_700wa_0.gif

PC Specs

Indonesia

CPU: i5-4690 | Motherboard: MSI B85-G43 | Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x4GB | Power Supply: Corsair CX500 | Video Card: MSI GTX 970

Storage: Kingston V300 120GB & WD Blue 1TB | Network Card: ASUS PCE-AC56 | Peripherals: Microsoft Wired 600 & Logitech G29 + Shifter

Australia 

CPU: Ryzen 3 2200G | Motherboard: MSI - B450 Tomahawk | Memory: Mushkin - 8GB (1 x 8GB) | Storage: Mushkin 250GB & Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1TB
Video Card: GIGABYTE - RX 580 8GB | Case: Corsair - 100R ATX Mid Tower | Power Supply: Avolv 550W 80+ Gold

You clearly haven't tried following that thread... (100+ notifs per day on slow days)

And it's also because we have lots of car guys in the forums too...

I still don't know what "that" thread is and at this point I am too afraid to ask. Except for that time just now where I asked.

Intel Pentium G3258, EVGA 750ti SC http://specr.me/show/658

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/fL93YJ
Surrounded by Mormons

So i had just go an ipad for my birthday and within about a week it said i ran out of storage. I had download all these different games and so I went up to my grandma and said Im all out of storage. She said "ok let me get my credit card and we can pay for some more storage and download it"

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)~~▲▲▲▲~~CanyonCoolMan~~▲▲▲▲~~( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

So i had just go an ipad for my birthday and within about a week it said i ran out of storage. I had download all these different games and so I went up to my grandma and said Im all out of storage. She said "ok let me get my credit card and we can pay for some more storage and download it"

So how's your HDD?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

How the hell does your hard drive die after a month?

I have horrible luck with hard drives.. So glad SSD exists..

damn … out shopping with the wife, I stopped at a public PC (24in iMac) and the old lady (70yo ish …) beside me started swearing and she actually started punching the keyboard!!!

I stopped, turned to her with a WTF expression on my face and she told me she couldn't figure out how to close a tab in Safari … I swear I'm not making this up!

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

snip

You found a girl punching a keyboard, I found a dude who turned off an iMac (by unplugging it) because he used it and couldn't close iTunes (it was asking for update so he became panic).

Everybody was staring at him, wondering if he would steal the iMac :3

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

damn … out shopping with the wife, I stopped at a public PC (24in iMac) and the old lady (70yo ish …) beside me started swearing and she actually started punching the keyboard!!!

I stopped, turned to her with a WTF expression on my face and she told me she couldn't figure out how to close a tab in Safari … I swear I'm not making this up!

She punched an item in a store?... Did they force her to buy it afterwards?

Disrespectful bitch deserves it..

Damn right, why would she punch a keyboard? I mean it's not hers....

PC Specs

Indonesia

Australia 

no it's "public" computers in the middle of a shopping mall, they have 12 if I remember right and nobody is there to keep an eye on things.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

Hey I think I saw that someplace...what was it called...oh yeah! Best Buy!

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

"Word Perfect Technical support; may I help you?"

"Yes, well, I'm having trouble with WordPerfect."

"What sort of trouble?"

"Well, I was just typing along, and all of a sudden the words went away."

"Went away?"

"They disappeared."

"Hmm. So what does your screen look like now?"

"Nothing."

"Nothing?"

"It's blank; it won't accept anything when I type."

"Are you still in WordPerfect, or did you get out?"

"How do I tell?"

"Can you see the C:\ prompt on the screen?"

"What's a sea-prompt?"

"Never mind. Can you move the cursor around on the screen?"

"There isn't any cursor: I told you, it won't accept anything I type."

"Does your monitor have a power indicator?"

"What's a monitor?"

"It's the thing with the screen on it that looks like a TV. Does it have a little light that tells you when it's on?"

"I don't know."

"Well, then look on the back of the monitor and find where the power cord goes into it. Can you see that?"

....."Yes, I think so."

"Great! Follow the cord to the plug, and tell me if it's plugged into the wall."

....."Yes, it is."

"When you were behind the monitor, did you notice that there were two cables plugged into the back of it, not just one?"

"No."

"Well, there are. I need you to look back there again and find the other cable."

....."Okay, here it is."

"Follow it for me, and tell me if it's plugged securely into the back of your computer."

"I can't reach it."

"Uh huh. Well, can you see if it is?"

"No."

"Even if you maybe put your knee on something and lean way over?"

"Oh, it's not because I don't have the right angle-it's because it's dark."

"Dark?"

"Yes-the office light is off, and the only light I have is coming in from the window."

"Well, turn on the office light then."

"I can't."

"No? Why not?"

"Because there's a power outage."

"A power... A power outage? Aha! Okay, we've got it licked now. Do you still have the boxes and manuals and packing stuff your computer came in?"

"Well, yes. I keep them in the closet."

"Good! Go get them and unplug your system and pack it up just like it was when you got it. Then take it back to the store you bought it from."

"Really! Is it that bad?"

"Yes, I'm afraid it is."

"Well, all right then, I suppose. What do I tell them?"

"Tell them you're too stupid to own a computer."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Christian 

Use the following style specs in your sig to spread the LTT revolution!

Rig Specs:

Screeninator: Gigabyte GeForce GTX960

Powermathingy: Corsair CX600W

Stickiminator: 2x G.Skill ARES 4GB DDR3-1866

Procrastinator: AMD FX-8350 @4.1GHz 1.3V

Holdametalicizor: DIYPC Gamemax-BK

Noisoundacreator: Cyber Acoustics CA-3072 (loudamagargle) Onn Wireless FM Radio Headset (earamagargle)

Attachamathingy: ASRock 990FX Extreme9

Remembrerthing: Western Digital 1TB Blue, Western Digital 40GB Blue

Flat-Colorful-Thing: Acer K272HL

See-A-Move-O: Logitech Hyperion Fury G402

ButtonBoard: Cooler Master CMSTORM Devastator Blue

Talkamagargle: Blue Snowball Ice

no it's "public" computers in the middle of a shopping mall, they have 12 if I remember right and nobody is there to keep an eye on things.

"Public" computers in the middle of a mall? Wut? Don't think I've heard of such a thing.  :huh: That like computers at a library that anyone can use?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Wow I forgot about that comment.. Was a good read.

"Public" computers in the middle of a mall? Wut? Don't think I've heard of such a thing. :huh: That like computers at a library that anyone can use?

Wow I forgot about that comment.. Was a good read.

Yea there's public (pay per use) comps at Vancouver international as well, don't know if there still there but they were a few years back..