Experiences with non-techies

Please sir. I want some more.

2488138_o.gif

I cant watch this without hearing an English accent. 

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

200.gif

I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read that. I didn't mean to be mean.

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

when i try to expin to my mom that she needs to turn off her wi-fi when shes out the house, she later complains why her LgG3 runs out of charge so fast

200.gif

I'm sorry but I burst out laughing when I read that. I didn't mean to be mean.

Yes, my reaction too. I know we're supposed to "Be excellent to each other" but it was too funny I had to share xD

After all, this is the "Experiences with non-techies" topic :P

Blue Jay

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k (OC'd 4.4GHz) Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: MSI Z170A Gaming Pro Carbon GPU: EVGA GTX 950 SSC RAM: Crucial Ballistix Sport 8GB (1x8GB) SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB HDD: Seagate Barracuda 1TB Case: NZXT S340 Black/Blue PSU: Corsair CX430M

Other Stuff

Monitor: Acer H236HL BID Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Keyboard: I don't even know Mouse Pad: SteelSeries QcK Headset: Turtle Beach X12

GitHub

Yes, my reaction too. I know we're supposed to "Be excellent to each other" but it was too funny I had to share xD

After all, this is the "Experiences with non-techies" topic :P

I will have to wait and see when his/her reaction when he gets to this part of the thread.

Spoiler

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

-Another kickass story-

You sir, should have your own subforum. Nothing on it--just these golden stories. :D :D jk. But seriously, please keep them golden stories coming!!

I want to build a rig, but I'm not a gamer.   :mellow:

I have about a billion stories with non-techies from when I used to work in a computer shop. Here's one of them!

I was working in a small computer parts shop, mostly dealing with building PCs and stocking shelves and whatnot, rarely with customers directly, unless absolutely needed.

One day in 2010 (I think), just after Christmas a guy walks into the store with a PC. Since it was after X-mas, business was dead slow and we would only have a couple of customers per day, so we were (obviously) slacking and fooling around.

The guy set the computer on the counter and started yelling at my boss that the parts we sold him were broken and the computer didn't work. We had, indeed, sold him parts. Not a pre-built computer, mind you! I actually remembered the guy, since he was pretty much the only customer that had bought an AMD CPU and an Intel motherboard at the same time. Normally you'd think he was upgrading two different machines, not TRYING TO BUILD ONE.

What had happened:

He bought a mess of components, most of which weren't even compatible with each other. DDR2 for a DDR3-only motherboard, the previously mentioned AMD CPU for an Intel motherboard and so on.

Upon opening the case, my boss instantly released the loudest facepalm I had ever seen or heard in my entire life. His palm was now part of his skull!

I took a look inside. The CPU was forced into the Intel socket, the heatsink was mounted in holes the guy had DRILLED INTO THE MOTHERBOARD and secured with 5mm bolts. The memory slot had been chopped to bits to make the DDR2 fit and the PCI-E graphics card was shoved into a PCI slot.

Needless to say that all warranties were void and that my boss almost kicked the guy out of the shop. We actually had to close early that day since we started laughing way too hard and I almost passed out. I had never laughed and cringed so much in my life up to that point.

This is when I realized that I never want to deal with non-techies again in my entire life. 

AMD CPU and Intel Mobo?! Good god, those pins must have been more bent than Donald Trump making his racist presidential announcement! For the GPU and RAM, did he not realize that you can't force two physical objects together that won't fit, or did he just not want to go back to the store and exchange everything? Did he just think "Oh this'll be a piece of cake, I don't need to watch any tutorial videos on how to do this!!!"?!

jr1f0zD.png

"4GBs RAM on a Mac is like 16GBs RAM on a PC"

I find it ironic that he has a gaming PC, yet has the nerve to say that Macs are still better for games. Honestly. Oh no, wait he must be lying because there is no way in hell he got 60+ frames on BF4 Ultra on a macbook pro. PERIOD. If his 1000$ computer stutters on BF4, chances are he probably fucked up his build log like that kid I saw at fry's with an AX860i and GTX 960.

Here is the thing about the build I was about to do. This is a very insane story. So we kind of do a test bench, and it works. So he tries to put the IO shield on. He manages to make his fingers bleed. Then making it my fault, by saying, you didn't warn me. A fucking sharp peice of metal is going to cut you. Learn some fucking common sense. Anyways, that made my aunt freak out, saying now he needs stitches, despite the bleeding stopped in like 5 minutes. And you can meet my bi polar, living on alimony and child support and divorced aunt, which you know which didn't help matters either. Then he gets super frustrated at ME that the CPU cooler is hard to get on. Then he says its to small despite it fit everything. Then I get blamed for everything and then my crazyass aunt starts talking to her boyfriend, which says at Lincoln tech, u need to needs gloves and be grounded. Assholes. Then she started to bitch about me to my cousin, saying she should have never had me over. Well I am like screw you u fucking snarks and I just went home. My fucking god. Society is really awful.They know no shit. Assholes.

You went so ranty that I don't even know who "he" is. Your Aunt's boyfriend? That asshole uncle that took credit for your build and doesn't know jackshit? I know you're pissed, hell I kinda am too reading that, but explain what's happening before you go apeshit. Whoever "he" is sounds like a fucking idiot for not reading instructions for a cooler, and cutting himself on sharp metal.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

Christmas is my favorite freakin holiday!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulHMDscIR_g

Do you think it would work if I started a jacksfilms fan club thread?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

Here is the thing about the build I was about to do. This is a very insane story. So we kind of do a test bench, and it works. So he tries to put the IO shield on. He manages to make his fingers bleed. Then making it my fault, by saying, you didn't warn me. A fucking sharp peice of metal is going to cut you. Learn some fucking common sense. Anyways, that made my aunt freak out, saying now he needs stitches, despite the bleeding stopped in like 5 minutes. And you can meet my bi polar, living on alimony and child support and divorced aunt, which you know which didn't help matters either. Then he gets super frustrated at ME that the CPU cooler is hard to get on. Then he says its to small despite it fit everything. Then I get blamed for everything and then my crazyass aunt starts talking to her boyfriend, which says at Lincoln tech, u need to needs gloves and be grounded. Assholes. Then she started to bitch about me to my cousin, saying she should have never had me over. Well I am like screw you u fucking snarks and I just went home. My fucking god. Society is really awful.They know no shit. Assholes.

I'm still thinking hard about how he managed to cut himself wih the IO shield

Cheap (or inexpensive if you prefer) so no rolled edges.

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Can' blame him though... I once got a light cut from a crappy case without folded edges and painted interior and frame...

Cheap (or inexpensive if you prefer) so no rolled edges.

It was rounded LOL

I thought I had some money... Oh wait... I spent it all ;(

It was rounded LOL

Back to my statement. I'm still thinking about how badly he handled the shield to hurt himself.

Can' blame him though... I once got a light cut from a crappy case without folded edges and painted interior and frame...

Painted your case with blood? Well... You could say that your rig had literally your blood and sweat in it... :lol:

And bloodstains just simply look cool.

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

Painted your case with blood? Well... You could say that your rig had literally your blood and sweat in it... :lol:

And bloodstains just simply look cool.

Mod it...

(although I meant that the case was so cheap that the interior wasn't painted, the edges weren't rolled or folded, and the standoffs were single-use plastic ones)

I've done it before - couldn't quite pop it in and it just sliced the side of one of my fingers. Nearly every build or semi-major upgrade I've done to a PC has resulted in me cutting or otherwise hurting myself. Ripped my cuticle taking out a CD drive that refused to budge. If someone asks, it's the result of hard work :P

About a month ago, my mom had to install a new app on her samsung s4 for her work. I told her to go onto the goolge play store to get it, and how to hit the install sign to download it. She of cource failed at this task and asked me to do it for her. I downloaded the app, and noticed from the"my apps" page that every one of her apps was out of date by more than a few updates. I being the son that I am, hit the update all button on google play to update her apps.

Next day i get a call from her saying that none of her apps on her phone are working, and that I broke her phone! She then continued to start ranting about how I have to buy her a new phone, and how she is going to get in trobble from work, bla bla bla. She then talls me that she brought the phone to her work's tech department, and they said that I had compermised the phone as its satus to their network said it was modifyed.

That night I looked at the phone as the "tech" department could not fix it (all apps kept crashing after a few min). Turns out that the phone's software was never updated EVER. I explained to her how the updates should fix the crashing issures on her phone, and how I need the phone to update the software. Because she belived I was the one to break her phone, she refused. That night I had to sneek upstars, and steal the phone when she was sleeping to update it. After the update everything worked again. Next morning the phone magically stared working again. I explaied to her what i had done, and how not updating the phone was the problem... to this day she still belives that the google play store is bad, and is full of viruses.

The reason that her phone came up as "modifyed" was that the phone's software was soo out of date, the network program at her work could not recognize it!

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

-snip-

I have no words...

Android is as easy as it can get... how do you screw it up?

also... not sure if incompetent techs or paranoid...

I have no words...

Android is as easy as it can get... how do you screw it up?

also... not sure if incompetent techs or paranoid...

I think it was more the case of over thinking it.

My AMD Build:

Spoiler

FX 6300 @ 4.8GHz, Zalman CNPS14X, MSI 970 Gaming, 16gb 1866MHz AData Ram, 3D Club R9 280X, Corsair 600M Psu, Thermaltake V3 AMD Edition Case, D-link 1200AC WiFi, 240gb Mushkin SSD, 2tb WD HDD, 140gb WD HDD (recording gameplay), 5x CoolerMaster SickleFlow 120mm fans, Windows 10 64Bit

Sisters Intel Build:

Spoiler

I7 4790k @ 4.4GHz, CoolerMaster 212 Evo, Gigabyte Gaming 5, 16gb 1866MHz Corsair Ram, 3D Club R9 390, EVGA 650GS Psu, NZXT S340 Case, D-Link 1200AC WiFi Card, HyperX 240gb SSD, 2tb WD HDD, Windows 10 64 Bit

A girl in my class the other day kept asking if anyone was studying computer science. When someone said they did and offered help, she handed them her iPhone which wouldn't turn on and didn't have a home button. She expected us to magically fix it for her because we were learning computing...

So my coworker just told me Nvidia is owned by Asus, or the other way around, or they were sister companies, he said he wasn't sure witch one it was.

And Asus is run by the Illuminati.