Experiences with non-techies

"IT'S A FLOWER!" "Yes, dad...a PICTURE of a flower. Put two and two together."

Sounds like a smart-arsy thing to whinge about, he said it was a flower when it is really a picture of a flower hur hur!  FFS Lighten up.

Shades of Magritte's "Ceci n'est pas une pipe."

Two motoes to live by   "Sometimes there are no shortcuts"

"This too shall pass"

Sounds like a smart-arsy thing to whinge about, he said it was a flower when it is really a picture of a flower hur hur!  FFS Lighten up.

Shades of Magritte's "Ceci n'est pas une pipe."

I want to point out that he used an iPhone before it.

The Gallery icon on iOS was a picture of a flower. It's fundamentally the same.

It also helps that the icon on Samsung phones has a white border around it, sort of like a photo taken with a Polaroid, thus making the connection stronger.

Again, semantics.

DAYTONA

PROCESSOR - AMD RYZEN 7 3700X
MOTHERBOARD - ASUS PRIME X370-PRO
RAM - 32GB (4x8GB) CORSAIR VENGEANCE LPX DDR4-2400
CPU COOLING - NOCTUA NH-D14
GRAPHICS CARD - EVGA NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980Ti SC+ ACX 2.0 w/ BACKPLATE
BOOT and PROGRAMS - CORSAIR MP600 1TB
GAMES and FILES - TOSHIBA 2TB
INTERNAL BACKUP - WESTERN DIGITAL GREEN 4TB
POWER SUPPLY - CORSAIR RM850i
CASE - CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 750D

Again, semantics.

Again, smart-arsy.

Look up Luke's mum's thoughts on parents and technology.

"This too shall pass"

my dad, said having lots of emails in your inbox causes your computer to slow down....i turned and looked at him with a blank expression and when he was out of hearing range burst out laughing

My school's filters are WAY too easy to bypass. all you have to do is open up the command prompt (yes, its not blocked), ping the website you want to go to, and then enter the IP into the address bar.

Ha. The tricks I know now that I'm a techie that I didn't know when I was in school. It's occurred to me I could probably have taken over the school network with my current knowledge. My school especially didn't have anyone particularly knowledgeable about tech working there. In fact, it was a sixth former (British lingo, think highschool is the American equiv) that was actually doing the true maintenance.

sixth former (British lingo, think highschool is the American equiv) t

Say 12th~13th grade about 17~18 years old, (Does 13th grade still exist;or is it a varies by State thing ? ).

Personal:-

I was 16 when I started sixth year (sixth form [thirteenth grade]) soon 17 though, birthday was 13th Sept started sixth year on August 29th

"This too shall pass"

Just noticed this today - our school has put Radeon 5450s in all of the computers in the IT department. Previously they ran on integrated graphics from the Pentiums inside (not sure which gen, but graphics were around HD2000 or HD3000). Either way the 5450s are about the same as HD3000 graphics and cost £30 each. That's somewhere between £600 and £900 for one room. Not to mention that the monitors are VGA only 1280x1024 so it's not like they upgraded to a digital connector standard or anything.

Literal waste of money. On the plus side the music department is meant to be getting new computers. Originally iMacs (CoreAudio and Logic are better than ASIO on top of Windows' audio stack and then Cubase) but now probably just 'beefier' Windows machines. The new guy will want something decent since he said our department looks like his 5 years ago (and I agree), but the technicians and our head of Ex Arts (a drama teacher) will probably curbstomp us and we'll end up with slightly faster Pentiums and 2GB RAM to replace the old Core 2 Duos and 2GB RAM. Really we need decent i3s or basic i5s and 4GB. And 1080p monitors for the hell of it. They're currently 1050p janky resolution. 16:10 though which is quite nice for Cubase considering the vertical real estate needed.

My school's filters are WAY too easy to bypass. all you have to do is open up the command prompt (yes, its not blocked), ping the website you want to go to, and then enter the IP into the address bar.

Blocking the domain name instead of adding an exception to DNS. GG shitty school techs

Scrapyard Build Total Cost: $268AUD

C2Q E8200 | 4 x 1gb DDR2 | GA-EP45-DS3 r1 | Gammax 200 | 320gb 2.5" | 7870LE PCS | Litepower 500w | CISCO Aironet 350

Just noticed this today - our school has put Radeon 5450s in all of the computers in the IT department. Previously they ran on integrated graphics from the Pentiums inside (not sure which gen, but graphics were around HD2000 or HD3000). Either way the 5450s are about the same as HD3000 graphics and cost £30 each. That's somewhere between £600 and £900 for one room. Not to mention that the monitors are VGA only 1280x1024 so it's not like they upgraded to a digital connector standard or anything.

Literal waste of money. On the plus side the music department is meant to be getting new computers. Originally iMacs (CoreAudio and Logic are better than ASIO on top of Windows' audio stack and then Cubase) but now probably just 'beefier' Windows machines. The new guy will want something decent since he said our department looks like his 5 years ago (and I agree), but the technicians and our head of Ex Arts (a drama teacher) will probably curbstomp us and we'll end up with slightly faster Pentiums and 2GB RAM to replace the old Core 2 Duos and 2GB RAM. Really we need decent i3s or basic i5s and 4GB. And 1080p monitors for the hell of it. They're currently 1050p janky resolution. 16:10 though which is quite nice for Cubase considering the vertical real estate needed.

I have the same situation in my college. We are using old 3:4 aspect ratio monitors for graphic design. I rather bring in my laptop for that :D

CPU i7 4770k GPU GTX980 MOTHERBOARD Asus Maximus Gene VII RAM Hyperx Savage 2x8gb STORAGE Crucial m550 512gb PSU Corsair AX760 COOLING Corsair H80i GT CASE Corsair 350D OS Windows 10 64bit KEYBOARD Logitech k810 MOUSE Logitech Performance MX

I have a double whammy! Both involve headphones.

#1 Before christmas time I had told my grandparent I wanted new headphones. My grandfather said sure. I told him I wanted ATH-M50s (and bookmarked it on his iPad just to be sure) The morning of Christmas he followed through, while unboxing them I overheard my grandfather say to my dad, "Wow I didn't realise how expensive headphones are today" I laughed so hard and told him that these aren't even that expensive ($150 US) and showed him some Sennheisers on Amazon. It turns out the last time he bought headphones was buying some cheapo son things at Walmart.

#2 I was in the car with my cousin, I was listening to some music with my M50s. My cousin proceeds to signal me to take them off, he says, "Those are nice beats you have there" OHHH HE WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE CONVERSATION WE WERE ABOUT TO HAVE! I am not sure if he was just confused, or if Beats is a general term for headphones now. Either way he is now informed on the differences between Beats and actual headphones. 

Bonus Round!! I saw an ad on Twitter saying and I quote "Get dad something he'll actually want to wear around his head for father's day" WHAT THE FUFGHHFIHURFH!?? I THOUGH YOU USED THEM TO LISTEN TO AUDIO, NOT USE AS A $500, UNCOMFORTABLE NECKLACE!!

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I have a double whammy! Both involve headphones.

#1 Before christmas time I had told my grandparent I wanted new headphones. My grandfather said sure. I told him I wanted ATH-M50s (and bookmarked it on his iPad just to be sure) The morning of Christmas he followed through, while unboxing them I overheard my grandfather say to my dad, "Wow I didn't realise how expensive headphones are today" I laughed so hard and told him that these aren't even that expensive ($150 US) and showed him some Sennheisers on Amazon. It turns out the last time he bought headphones was buying some cheapo son things at Walmart.

#2 I was in the car with my cousin, I was listening to some music with my M50s. My cousin proceeds to signal me to take them off, he says, "Those are nice beats you have there" OHHH HE WAS NOT PREPARED FOR THE CONVERSATION WE WERE ABOUT TO HAVE! I am not sure if he was just confused, or if Beats is a general term for headphones now. Either way he is now informed on the differences between Beats and actual headphones. 

Bonus Round!! I saw an ad on Twitter saying and I quote "Get dad something he'll actually want to wear around his head for father's day" WHAT THE FUFGHHFIHURFH!?? I THOUGH YOU USED THEM TO LISTEN TO AUDIO, NOT USE AS A $500, UNCOMFORTABLE NECKLACE!!

You don't listen to audio with beats, just white noise that non-techies seem to understand.

http://pcpartpicker.com/p/9DNjLk I like the night theme, it complements my dark basement. If you are reading this then you must also be a fan of the night theme.

01011011 01000010 01101001 01101110 01100001 01110010 01111001 00100000 01001000 01100101 01110010 01100101 01011101 

SO this guy who is trying to get into PCs and stuff because we talk about it at school shows me a very shitty build, sketchy case, A crappy r9 285 2gb an i5 and just a complete mess. I told him it was bad and to learn and he was like "I'll just ask my cousin who works at Fry's to choose and build for me" I said okay and then I was like " how are you supposed to know anything?" he answered "I just learn the names of the parts, that easy"

About a week later me and some other guys were talking about some guy's headphones having no bass and that guy who has his Cousin from Fry's reaks out saying "if he has no bass, than how is he supposed to hear enemy footsteps?"

You don't listen to audio with beats, just white noise that non-techies seem to understand.

Not to mention they have no noise blocking at all. Kid a front of the bus listens to Beats. Can clearly make out words at the back.

Rich Purnell Is A Steely-Eyed Missile Man

I have the same situation in my college. We are using old 3:4 aspect ratio monitors for graphic design. I rather bring in my laptop for that :D

3:4? First time I've heard that ratio

I think me ment 4:3

Either it was flipped 90°, or people are already starting to forget that ancient monitor aspect ratio. Some people still use it though... Like me, but it's 5:4 (1280 x 1024)

Never trust my advice. Only take any and all advice from me with a grain of salt. Just a heads up.

About a week later me and some other guys were talking about some guy's headphones having no bass and that guy who has his Cousin from Fry's reaks out saying "if he has no bass, than how is he supposed to hear enemy footsteps?"

Bass does improve the sound of footsteps..... I think xD

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

You're incorrect... Fashion accessories are what they are..

Beats are fashion accessories. ATH-M50s are actual headphones.

and then there's this

25e838116d.jpg

Fake Beats (my roommate's... got one off a sidewalk vendor for ~3USD... he bought it for fun...)... just in case the legit ones didn't sound and feel cheap enough...

and then there's this

-snip-

Fake Beats (my roommate's... got one off a sidewalk vendor for ~3USD... he bought it for fun...)... just in case the legit ones didn't sound and feel cheap enough...

Still sound better than real Beats.

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Still sound better than real Beats.

A bunch of people in my grade wear off brand and fake beats then like 2 have actual beats. It hurts my ears and eyes to see them.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

So this gem is so fresh I can still feel the awkward

Last night, at around 1AM my mom calls me; since I play WoW (unfortunately, I feel a distinct need to have no life right now) I was wide awake, mid-raid. Call rejected.

1:05AM - mom calls again. call rejected

1:15AM - mom calls for the third time. for heaven sake, woman, I'm "sleeping" (mom does not agree with all-nighters even though I'm a grownup at this point) I unwillingly answer to get all this sorted so I can get back to my game.

After the obligatory "why the hell are you calling the at 1 in the morning?!" she tells me that she needs urgent help, since her computer won't cooperate (it's a 10-or-so year old single-core AMD rig with DDR-400! running Whinedoes EggsPee). She then proceeds to ask me to come over and fix it. She lives 150km away (~100miles). I don't have a car. First train that way is at 6:30 AM and I'm supposed to be at work at 7 AM. No go.

Thankfully I had an emergency plan, since I'm well aware of the degree of non-techieness my mother is capable of (until last year she had a Nokia 3310. you get the idea)

I ask her if the PC is on and if it's connected to the internet. It is.

I tell her to go on the desktop and look for the spot on the wallpaper that says "IF I EVER NEED TO ACCESS PC REMOTELY, OPEN THIS" (I had set up everything just for scenarios like these, making it as idiot-proof as I could). It was just a shortcut to Team Viewer. BUT WAIT, mom decided to "clean" the desktop and she had moved/deleted the shortcut.

10 minutes later she finally manages to open Team Viewer from the start menu. I kid you not, it took the woman 10 minutes (at this point I'm not even sure we're related).

What had happened:

My mom gets ALOT of e-mail from her sister/my aunt, who isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer when it comes to NOT opening malware-ridden e-mails. Mom still uses Yahoo! Mail, because she doesn't want to switch to GMail like any sane person would do.

Anyway, she had opened a few of the e-mail my aunt sent her last week and somehow managed to catch some nasty bugs. Malware, spyware, adware, it was all there.

Keep in mind that this machine is old as hell and a potato is faster than it.

I had installed Malwarebytes just in case, since I knew something like this was bound to happen. After about an hour and a half of scanning, everything seemed to be sorted. At this point it was around 3:30AM. I was getting tired and annoyed, but everything was sorted.

I call mom, tell her it's done and she can resume whatever she was doing. I jump into bed and try to get some sleep, since I was due to get up in less than 3 hours so I could get to work.

4-fracking-AM my mom calls. AGAIN. Starts complaining that I didn't do anything and told her it was fixed.

I tell her to open Team Viewer again. Lo and behold, firefox pops up on my screen. she had been downloading crap from my aunt's e-mail again, because it was "funny".

At this point I was getting mad. Told mom to go to bed while I fix shit. First thing's first, I block my aunt's e-mail address. She never has anything important to say anyway, so no loss there.

Malwarebytes again. By the time it was done I was supposed to get up and make myself some breakfast.

Now I'm at my 6th coffee since I got to work and I haven't eaten since yesterday's lunch.

I hate my family.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220