Experiences with non-techies

Me: Can you help me with my electrochemistry homework?

Dad: Let me BING that for you.

Me: Actually, no, I'm ok.

Spoiler

CPU:FX 8350 4.4 ghz (Upgrading to a 6700k!).Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R 2.0 (Upgrading to a Z170 Pro4!).GPU: Sapphire R9 290 (Arctic Cooler).RAM: 8GB Corsair XMS3 (Upgrading to 16gb ddr4 2400mhz!) PSU: Cooler Master B700. HDD: 120gb Hyper X Fury SSD, 500gb 5400rpm Caviar Blue Cooling: Hyper 212 (Switiching out with a Be Quiet! Pure Rock Slim for new build) 2x stock case fans.
Future Upgrades: h100i cooler, corsair sp120 fans, 1080p monitor, AMD->Intel CPU Switch

I can't even count how many people's computer "problems" I've solved by "is it plugged in?"

This ^

At first they acted insulted by you askng such an obvious question. Things change once they realize it wasn't actually plugged in ....

brother: can this run minecraft?

me: it has 1/2 a gig of ram, a pentium 4, and a broken monitor.

brother: we can fix it!

me: its a laptop.

brother: sooo?

We're all dying slowly

Pentium G3258 3.2 ghz / ECS z97 pk MOBO / Intel Stock Cooler / R9 290 DD / Corsair Carbide Air 240 / 4GB mushkin stealth ram at 1600 / XFX 650W 80+ gold PSU / Kingston v300 240GB drive W/300GB seagate drive / HP x2301 / Gateway KB / Monoprice GM

brother: can this run minecraft?

me: it has 1/2 a gig of ram, a pentium 4, and a broken monitor.

brother: we can fix it!

me: its a laptop.

brother: sooo?

I bet it still works well as a space heater. Pentium 4 the techies equivalent to the tea light heater

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

My english teacher, when she turns off the projector, she says she "mutes it"

we where doing presentations, and when we typed in our emails to sign in, she let us know we could "mute" the projector so no one sees it.

Bothers me because shes so close but so far

I love when people ask me about battery life or processor speed. "This program says it needs 3.3GHz to run, this laptop is only 1.9GHz! Yes, but the processor it is saying it needs is a Pentium, this is an i5. "But it isn't 3.3GHz IT WON'T WORK!" Ma'am, yes it will. The architecture is much more sophisticated than a Pentium, it will work. If it wouldn't, then how did I run it on my 1.9GHz Core i7 laptop? "You're just lying for a sale!"    smh.... Correct me if I'm wrong, but it's the chip architecture that matters, not the speed. Amiright?

Then the batteries. "4.5 hours? Really?" No, that is pretty much when your laptop is simply on, and not doing any work. "Then how long will it last when I'm using it?" I'm not sure, it really depends of how much you are stressing it! "I don't stress my laptop though!" Then it might last longer. Those numbers are very much so guess work.

EDIT: I should also note that I work in a retail environment, and I make ZERO commission, aside from mobile phone sales, which we never sell. I refuse to lie to a customer knowingly. I'd rather them leave with the proper information to make a purchase than sell them something that won't get the job done the way it is intended to.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Here's a good one.

My sister came to me today asking for help sorting out her printer. She went on to tell me that the black ink had run out and she'd barely printed anything out. Not telling me that what she had printed out had been in black and white. And that barely anything turned out to be 3 copies of a 15 page document in high quality at 600dpi. Then she was surprised when the colour cartridge felt heavier than the black cartridge. No fucking surprise, you've not used it yet! Oh, and she's had that black ink cartridge in for a couple of weeks as well printing out a number of other documents, which include detailed photos and images requiring more ink.

PCs

Spoiler
Spoiler

Branwen (2015 build) - CPU: i7 4790K GPU:EVGA GTX 1070 SC PSU: XFX XTR 650W RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX fury Motherboard: MSI Z87 MPower MAX AC SSD: Crucial MX100 256GB + Crucial MX300 1TB  Case: Silverstone RV05 Cooler: Corsair H80i V2 Displays: AOC AGON AG241QG & BenQ BL2420PT Build log: link 

Spoiler

Netrunner (2020 build) - CPU: AMD R7 3700X GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 (from 2015 build) PSU: Corsair SF600 platinum RAM: 32GB Crucial Ballistix RGB 3600Mhz cl16 Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus X570i pro wifi SSD: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB Case: Lian Li TU150W black Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Slim

Here's a good one.

My sister came to me today asking for help sorting out her printer. She went on to tell me that the black ink had run out and she'd barely printed anything out. Not telling me that what she had printed out had been in black and white. And that barely anything turned out to be 3 copies of a 15 page document in high quality at 600dpi. Then she was surprised when the colour cartridge felt heavier than the black cartridge. No fucking surprise, you've not used it yet! Oh, and she's had that black ink cartridge in for a couple of weeks as well printing out a number of other documents, which include detailed photos and images requiring more ink.

Oh, my absolute favorite is when people choose to buy a printer because the ink is cheaper. Even after showing them an equally priced printer with ink almost 2x more expensive, they buy the printer with cheaper int (HP EVNY 5530 vs HP Officejet Pro 8610 is the most common debate). The 8610 has cartridges that are several times larger in capacity than the 5530, and that correlates to a higher yield per cartridge. When showing them the cost per page, they just look at me like "I want what is cheaper now!" The reason to not go with the cheaper upfront cost is that you will spend more money in the long run. While I have printed close to 800 pages on my 8610 with my starter cartridges in about 2 months, my manager (who has the 5530) has printed about the same amount of pages, and replaced the cartridges twice. I haven't bought cartridges yet, he has spent $120 already. Similar amount of pages, cheaper cost in the long run for me.

FX-8350 | GA-990FXA-UD3 | G.SKILL 2x8GB 1600MHz | 1TB WD RE4 | CM Hyper 212 EVO | MSI R9 290x Lightning | Corsair AX860i | Silverstone FT05B-W

Pentium G3258 | MSI Z97 PC Mate | G.SKILL 4x4GB 1066MHz | 500GB Samsung 2.5" | Stock cooler | Pending GPU | EVGA 500B | Antec DF-35

GoPro Hero 3 Silver | Netgear R7000 Nighthawk with DD-WRT | HP Officejet Pro 8610 | Canon iP110 | AudioTechnica ATR2500 USB

Downdraft cooler for mITX board (new build) | Desk mount mic stand | Pop filter | Anti-vibration mount for microphone | mITX case | 3rd monitor (matching existing 23.1" | Intel Core i7-4790K (for mITX build)

Oh, my absolute favorite is when people choose to buy a printer because the ink is cheaper. Even after showing them an equally priced printer with ink almost 2x more expensive, they buy the printer with cheaper int (HP EVNY 5530 vs HP Officejet Pro 8610 is the most common debate). The 8610 has cartridges that are several times larger in capacity than the 5530, and that correlates to a higher yield per cartridge. When showing them the cost per page, they just look at me like "I want what is cheaper now!" The reason to not go with the cheaper upfront cost is that you will spend more money in the long run. While I have printed close to 800 pages on my 8610 with my starter cartridges in about 2 months, my manager (who has the 5530) has printed about the same amount of pages, and replaced the cartridges twice. I haven't bought cartridges yet, he has spent $120 already. Similar amount of pages, cheaper cost in the long run for me.

Thank you for detailing my mistake of buying a ~60USD 3-in-one printer... Damn you Canon and your inks... One cartridge is ~7USD... I should've bought that Brother with the first party continuous ink supply system for 100USD... but it doesn't have a scanner...

Thank you for detailing my mistake of buying a ~60USD 3-in-one printer... Damn you Canon and your inks... One cartridge is ~7USD... I should've bought that Brother with the first party continuous ink supply system for 100USD... but it doesn't have a scanner...

Not a fan of Brother inkjets. The laserjets are amazing for home and small business use, but the inkjets are just... meh.. Canon on the other hand is wonderful in the fact that they are the only printer manufacturer that we sell (in store) that actually gives the customer COMPLETELY FULL starter cartridges. My Canon iP110 is still rocking the starters as well, and I've used easily half of the cartridge.

Not a fan of Brother inkjets. The laserjets are amazing for home and small business use, but the inkjets are just... meh.. Canon on the other hand is wonderful in the fact that they are the only printer manufacturer that we sell (in store) that actually gives the customer COMPLETELY FULL starter cartridges. My Canon iP110 is still rocking the starters as well, and I've used easily half of the cartridge.

The worst thing you can do is buy a printer that has 2 ink slots. One for color and one for black, because it'll have less color... I have a Canon Pixmania MG3580 or MG3550 and color depletes soooo fast...

[spoiler=My PC]

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700K | COOLER: Corsair H105 | MOBO: ASUS Z170i Gaming Pro AC | RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | GPU: EVGA GTX 980 Classified | CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | SSD: Samsung 950 Pro 512GB | PSU: XFX XTR 650W [spoiler= Le Other Stuff] Monitor: BenQ XL2411Z | Keyboard: Ozone Strike Pro | Mouse: A4 Tech X7 F4 | MousePad: Ozone

Spoiler
Spoiler

PlayStation 2 | PSP 2000 | Game Boy Color | Nintendo DS Lite | Nintendo 3DS | Wii

Spoiler

Sony Xperia J (Why u so bad D:) | iPod 4th gen | iPhone 4 | Yarvik Xenta 13c (3muchchrome5her)

Spoiler
Spoiler

Pentium B980 | 500GB WD Blue | Intel HD Graphixxx | 4Gegabeytes of REHAM

Current OS: MSX 10.0 ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)Ilikethelennyfaceyouknow( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) Windows Password Reset Guide

The worst thing you can do is buy a printer that has 2 ink slots. One for color and one for black, because it'll have less color... I have a Canon Pixmania MG3580 or MG3550 and color depletes soooo fast...

We have the iP110 for travel prints. I got it for my girlfriend (with the battery) for Christmas since she is going on a road trip this summer for her 21st birthday. She wanted to be able to print and send me post cards with photos she took (she is somewhat of an amateur photographer) while on the road without stopping at a Walgreens or something. Great for this use, but I wouldn't really recommend it for much else.

I bet it still works well as a space heater. Pentium 4 the techies equivalent to the tea light heater

heck yeah! i use my old P4 rig as a bedroom-heater dedicated folding rig. :)

Recovering Apple addict

ASUS Zephyrus G14 2022

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 6900HS GPU: AMD r680M / RX 6700S RAM: 16GB DDR5 

As we all know, Apple Pay is bringing NFC to many new companies. Well, one day I decided to go to Panera Bread during my lunch break at work. I saw that they adopted the support for Apple Pay, and of course knowing that NFC is NFC, I take out my Note 3 and try to pay. The cashier (or whatever they technically are) quickly stopped me and said "Oh, that isn't an iPhone, our systems only work with Apple Pay." I looked at her and just explained the technology and that a standard is a standard. She continued to refuse and called her manager over, who took the cashier's side. I told them I'd make a deal with them. If my phone works, my next bill is on the house, if it doesn't, I'll order a lunch for the staff currently at my store (there were 10 other people working at my store at the time). They agreed and I paid with my Note 3. Lo and behold, it worked. My next meal would then be free, and both the manager and employee were noticeably embarrassed as hell. Due to their doubts and attempts to stop me, a line was starting to fill out behind me of hungry customers. After seeing my success, several of them attempted the same deal (they didn't get it), but they did pay with NFC, and the cashier's face just grew more and more red as the next 3 customers payed with their NFC enabled Android device.

And to boot, they didn't give me a set dollar amount I could spend on my next bill, so I went in and got a $40 lunch for free, as opposed to my usual $10 meal.

As we all know, Apple Pay is bringing NFC to many new companies. Well, one day I decided to go to Panera Bread during my lunch break at work. I saw that they adopted the support for Apple Pay, and of course knowing that NFC is NFC, I take out my Note 3 and try to pay. The cashier (or whatever they technically are) quickly stopped me and said "Oh, that isn't an iPhone, our systems only work with Apple Pay." I looked at her and just explained the technology and that a standard is a standard. She continued to refuse and called her manager over, who took the cashier's side. I told them I'd make a deal with them. If my phone works, my next bill is on the house, if it doesn't, I'll order a lunch for the staff currently at my store (there were 10 other people working at my store at the time). They agreed and I paid with my Note 3. Lo and behold, it worked. My next meal would then be free, and both the manager and employee were noticeably embarrassed as hell. Due to their doubts and attempts to stop me, a line was starting to fill out behind me of hungry customers. After seeing my success, several of them attempted the same deal (they didn't get it), but they did pay with NFC, and the cashier's face just grew more and more red as the next 3 customers payed with their NFC enabled Android device.

And to boot, they didn't give me a set dollar amount I could spend on my next bill, so I went in and got a $40 lunch for free, as opposed to my usual $10 meal.

we literally have an awesome badass here!!!!

That's dope.

To be fair I wouldn't be convinced it'd work either until I saw it in action. :P

Figured there'd be a protocol difference or something (beyond the use of NFC, I don't know how either work).

So this works with any nfc device? What program did you use to pay? Any good Windows phone programs?

Just a guy who peaked at building back in the days of the GTX 980. If you see me here, assume i have technical knowledge akin to a committed hobbyist builder back then. If something's changed, you'll need to tell me(nicely plz). I'm probably asking for help with the modern build scene since I have no clue what's going on.

I remember going into Game (the retailer) to buy WoW Cataclysm and the guy serving asked me .. "for what platform?"!!

Didn't go into a "Game" shop again after that.

CPU - i7 8700K / Motherboard - ROG Strix Z370 E/ RAM - 32GB Cosair Vengeance DDR / GPU  - GTX 1080ti - EVGA FTW3 / PSU - Seasonic Snow Silent 750W / Cooling - Cryorig H7 Monitor - Acer X34 Predator / Sound - Corsair Void - Case - Meshify C

So this works with any nfc device? What program did you use to pay? Any good Windows phone programs?

It should, the technology is just NFC. Nothing fancy on the communications end. I've use Google Wallet and Softcard (formerly ISIS Wallet) without issues at dozens of "Apple Pay exclusive" locations, including my Staples store.

EDIT: Think of it like Bluetooth (or even 802.11 WiFi too) Bluetooth is Bluetooth, very rarely are there Bluetooth devices that aren't compatible with a mass majority of Bluetooth enabled phones, for example. NFC works the exact same way. Now, how smoothly it works is heavily dependent on the device and the hardware/software combo.

As far as Windows phone NFC devices, I regrettably have no experience with Windows Phone.

It should, the technology is just NFC. Nothing fancy on the communications end. I've use Google Wallet and Softcard (formerly ISIS Wallet) without issues at dozens of "Apple Pay exclusive" locations, including my Staples store.

ISIS Wallet? I see why they changed their name...

LTT's unofficial Windows activation expert.

Someone who I knew paid for WinRar....

CPU: i5 4670k @ 3.4GHz + Corsair H100i      GPU: Gigabyte GTX 680 SOC (+215 Core|+162 Mem)     SSD: Kingston V300 240GB (OS)      Headset: Logitech G930 

Case: Cosair Vengance C70 (white)                RAM: 16GB TeamGroup Elite Black DDR3 1600MHz       HDD: 1TB WD Blue                              Mouse: Logitech G602

OS: Windows 7 Home Premium                       PSUXFX Core Edition 750w                                                Motherboard: MSI Z97-G45               Keyboard: Logitech G510

Someone who I knew paid for WinRar....

Mine broke itself saying 9 days until trial ends.

Spoiler

Senor Shiny: Main- CPU Intel i7 6700k 4.7GHz @1.42v | RAM G.Skill TridentZ CL16 3200 | GPU Asus Strix GTX 1070 (2100/2152) | Motherboard ASRock Z170 OC Formula | HDD Seagate 1TB x2 | SSD 850 EVO 120GB | CASE NZXT S340 (Black) | PSU Supernova G2 750W  | Cooling NZXT Kraken X62 w/Vardars
Secondary (Plex): CPU Intel Xeon E3-1230 v3 @1.099v | RAM Samsun Wonder 16GB CL9 1600 (sadly no oc) | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | Motherboard ASRock H97M-Pro4 | HDDs Seagate 1TB, WD Blue 1TB, WD Blue 3TB | Case Corsair Air 240 (Black) | PSU EVGA 600B | Cooling GeminII S524

Spoiler

(Deceased) DangerousNotDell- CPU AMD AMD FX 8120 @4.8GHz 1.42v | GPU Asus GTX 680 4GB DCII | RAM Samsung Wonder 8GB (CL9 2133MHz 1.6v) | Motherboard Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z | Cooling EVO 212 | Case Rosewill Redbone | PSU EVGA 600B | HDD Seagate 1TB

DangerousNotDell New Parts For Main Rig Build Log, Señor Shiny  I am a beautiful person. The comments for your help. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book. I have to be a good book.

ISIS Wallet? I see why they changed their name...

That's the exact reason they did! lol

Keep doing so man, that's awesome proving the employees wrong in such humiliating ways  :D .  Although Staples is really pricey, maybe you should make that same deal and buy all the things you need that are normally super overpriced once you prove them wrong  :P

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job

That's the exact reason they did! lol

I'm assuming it stood for something, do you know what?

My life is consumed by CS:GO, even though I'm not exceptionally good at it.

CPU: AMD A10-5800K | GPU: Gigabyte R9 270 2GB | RAM: 8GB 1333Mhz HyperX Blu | Storage: 120GB Samsung 850 EVO + 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Chassis: NZXT H230 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-F2A88XM-HD3 | PSU: Corsair CX500 500W | Cooling: CM Hyper 212 EVO | OS: Windows 10
In order of priority: GTX 970 Strix, 2 good 1080p monitors, i5 4690k, MSI Z97 Gaming 5 LGA 1150, a job