Experiences with non-techies

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

He does mention at the start of the video that got the idea from 'Cooking while drunk' videos. 

He got the board from no boot, no fan spin, to booting, fan spinning, booting an OS. Good shit. 

Is this really related to the subject of this thread? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

12 hours ago, N1ghtshade said:

I suppose you could play GMod

no. no you cant. GMOD will fucking wreck almost any laptop. fuck it even wrecks my PC when i start doing shit thats around 500 props. there is no fucking viable way you are doing anything remotely fun in GMOD at 1080p or 720p with a MBP or other low-mid spec laptop. that game destroys CPU power and craves it like its the essence of life. please pick your exampels better next time because GMOD is not going to be a plesent experience at the slightest.

also for this laptop conversation:

i hate basically all of them. screw laptops. if i have to get one i would get one thats 13">. i really hate, Apple, Dell and HP(not as much as Toilet Paper link, EVGAs coolers or ASUS "customer support" tho) had a friend break the screen of his HP laptop and it got sent off for repairs, its been fixed for a month now but they refuse to send him the bill ýet so now he has been without his laptop for 4 months -_-. Lenovo is decent in my opinion, solid laptops. and also, i will never go out and buy a NEW lapotp seeing as they are expensive as all hell and i know a place that sells used ones for cheap AF :P 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

no. no you cant. GMOD will fucking wreck almost any laptop. fuck it even wrecks my PC when i start doing shit thats around 500 props. there is no fucking viable way you are doing anything remotely fun in GMOD at 1080p or 720p with a MBP or other low-mid spec laptop. that game destroys CPU power and craves it like its the essence of life. please pick your exampels better next time because GMOD is not going to be a plesent experience at the slightest.

i hate basically all of them. screw laptops. if i have to get one i would get one thats 13">. i really hate, Apple, Dell and HP(not as much as Toilet Paper link, EVGAs coolers or ASUS "customer support" tho) had a friend break the screen of his HP laptop and it got sent off for repairs, its been fixed for a month now but they refuse to send him the bill ýet so now he has been without his laptop for 4 months -_-. Lenovo is decent in my opinion, solid laptops. and also, i will never go out and buy a NEW lapotp seeing as they are expensive as all hell and i know a place that sells used ones for cheap AF :P 

HP EliteBooks (the older ones, anyway) are cheap as hell in AU and you can't beat the performance/$ ratio

And they're solidly built, I throw it around without any issues, and it's tool-less to open the machine up and everything is exposed when open - CPU, RAM, HDD, DVD, WIFI, etc

idk

And they're solidly built, I throw it around without any issues, 

I once threw my iPad. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

HP EliteBooks (the older ones, anyway) are cheap as hell in AU and you can't beat the performance/$ ratio

And they're solidly built, I throw it around without any issues, and it's tool-less to open the machine up and everything is exposed when open - CPU, RAM, HDD, DVD, WIFI, etc

sure they are OK but the current stuff from HP is garbage, the Zbook i have is a pice of trash. i litteraly carry a TKL keyboard with me everywhere to avoid the keyboard, build is shit, no way to uppgrade, cant remove the barrery and a pretty crappy screen. -_- i am really not a fan

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

I dunno, I don't think you can really beat IBM for repairing, since I've started at my new company, almost everything we service is IBM for laptops and God damn are those things a pleasure to work on, and older IBMs are a dime a dozen, I personally picked up a last gen core i3 and slapped a SSD in it and I love it, maybe not for games, but you never know what you might find on the used market.

4 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I once threw my iPad. 

Once. 

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

sure they are OK but the current stuff from HP is garbage, the Zbook i have is a pice of trash. i litteraly carry a TKL keyboard with me everywhere to avoid the keyboard, build is shit, no way to uppgrade, cant remove the barrery and a pretty crappy screen. -_- i am really not a fan

Which ZBook? 15 I've heard is solid, wouldn't buy 14 if you paid me to. quad-core master race

idk

Once. 

It was yesterday, 2 days after I bought it. I screamed "SHIT!!!". 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

It was yesterday, 2 days after I bought it. I screamed "SHIT!!!". 

Solid job. I dropped my Nexus 5X 5ft out of the pocket of my shitty trackpants (I jumped and ran across a sloped wall because a friend told me too) and no screen crack. 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Solid job. I dropped my Nexus 5X 5ft out of the pocket of my shitty trackpants (I jumped and ran across a sloped wall because a friend told me too) and no screen crack. 

When I picked up the iPad, I noticed a chip above the power button, and I'm not sure if it was there before (it's a used 2nd gen). 

18 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It destroys my PC. 

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

It destroys my PC. 

Do you think it would work on mine? I get 5FPS in Minecraft (an old version, 1FPS on the latest). 

7 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

Once. 

Which ZBook? 15 I've heard is solid, wouldn't buy 14 if you paid me to. quad-core master race

15.6". total pice of shit.

1 minute ago, themctipers said:

It destroys my PC. 

you havent gotten around to building your new one right? lol. the 3770K would also melt seeing as the source engine likes single core and wont use more then 4 threads :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Do you think it would work on mine? I get 5FPS in Minecraft (an old version, 1FPS on the latest). 

That's worse than a pentium D. That's worse than a atom laptop at 2ghz ..

6 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

you havent gotten around to building your new one right? lol. the 3770K would also melt seeing as the source engine likes single core and wont use more then 4 threads :P 

No, I've decided to wait for Zen+ (actually don't have enough money and I want that 32gb of ram too, $300.. :( )

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, themctipers said:

No, I've decided to wait for Zen+ (actually don't have enough money and I want that 32gb of ram too, $300.. :( )

why do you want 32GB? that seems stupid. i have 100+ tabs open in chrome and thats only about 8GB of usage lol. do you feel a desparete need for a RAM scratch disk or something?

Builds:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, themctipers said:

It's actually a Core i3. 

35 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

You can, but it'll be shit. Pretty much the only thing you can play is Prophunt or vanilla TTT. And true, GMod would be a shitty example, but what I meant was the super undemanding gamemodes that don't require much power like Murder or Prophunt. Not some shit like RP or Build Servers with Wiremod

And yeah, most of them suck. Especially Apple. Lenovo is pretty decent like you said, but that's it.

"There is a fine line between not listening, and not caring. I'd like to think I walk that line every day of my life."

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: Ryzen 5 2600X w/stock cooler, Motherboard: MSI X370 GAMING PLUS, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 24gb DDR4-2600, GPU: EVGA RTX 2070 SUPER XC, Case: NZXT S340, PSU: Corsair RMx 750w, Keyboard: Corsair K50, Mouse: Corsair Ironclaw

Laptop:

Spoiler

Lenovo IdeaPad S540

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

15, what generation? 

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

15, what generation? 

2016s 15.6" AFAIK. I5 6200 and some strange Radeon Pro GPU thats about the preformance of a 350M seeing as thats what the AMD drivers say it is lol. still its pretty bad.

Builds:

Spoiler

2016s 15.6" AFAIK. I5 6200 and some strange Radeon Pro GPU thats about the preformance of a 350M seeing as thats what the AMD drivers say it is lol. still its pretty bad.

Oh god, oh god, oh god

15s g3

ew ew ew ew ew 

try a proper HP, like the Zbook 15 G1 original, it's a fucking solid machine. 

they knew how to build a good laptop back then

idk

Just now, Droidbot said:

Oh god, oh god, oh god

15s g3

ew ew ew ew ew 

try a proper HP, like the Zbook 15 G1 original, it's a fucking solid machine. 

they knew how to build a good laptop back then

they might have, idk but the Pavilion G6 i had was pretty ehh aswell tbh. it worked way better then this thing though and is way nicer to deal with, solid build, keyboard and screen. has an AMD APU with 8GB of RAM that played basically everything i threw at it at 1080p medium, which is way more then this laptop will do...(wont even play CS:GO at low 1080p 60fps -_-) the problems with that laptop was that the battery died pretty quick and it got hot, like so hot you didnt want to touch it at all. probably 60C around the keyboard O.o

Builds:

Spoiler

they might have, idk but the Pavilion G6 i had was pretty ehh aswell tbh. it worked way better then this thing though and is way nicer to deal with, solid build, keyboard and screen. has an AMD APU with 8GB of RAM that played basically everything i threw at it at 1080p medium, which is way more then this laptop will do...(wont even play CS:GO at low 1080p 60fps -_-) the problems with that laptop was that the battery died pretty quick and it got hot, like so hot you didnt want to touch it at all. probably 60C around the keyboard O.o

Zbook 15 G1 had:

- Up-gradable CPU

- Matte screen for most models out of the box, up-gradable down the track

- 32GB RAM

- Essentially 750M GPU on MXM, so you can put in a new GPU if you can get your hands on one

- etc

idk