Surface 3 announced, 499$ USD base price, features atom X7 and full windows 8.1 (not RT!)

AlexGoesHigh

The iPad Air 2 is 500 dollars. You might say "but that's the 16GB model!" and you would be right, but it's Microsoft's choice to not have a lower capacity model. The bigger eMMC doesn't cost that much either so comparing it against the iPad, which has a huge Apple tax on it, isn't exactly a good defense.

You also have to factor in the price for the keyboard (both its USP and pretty much necessary to make the device usable) when comparing it to the iPad. That's an extra 130 dollars.

Hahaha Apple tax. I'm gonna use that for now on to describe the pricing of apple products

I like everything except:

• Power Supply: 13W Micro USB power supply, charges via MicroUSB instead of the magnetic charger featured in the pro 3

Ugh, I hate micro usb. Every device I've purchased with micro usb has either broken or had its functionality severely limited because of damage to the port.

I'd rather see a broadwell-M processor =/

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

I like everything except:

Ugh, I hate micro usb. Every device I've purchased with micro usb has either broken or had its functionality severely limited because of damage to the port.

Agreed. Micro-USB is the spawn of Satan. I love reversible chargers such as magsafe, lightning and I haven't tried it yet but probably USB-C.

IDK after using my old atom tablet for a year it seemed snappy enougph for almost all my daily media consumption and reading tasks. and that one's CPU was 600Mhz slower.the only thing I really wanted to upgrade on it was the ram 2GB was borderline last year 4gb really should have been the low end cut.

even though i would get the 4GB model too, 2GB is fine on win 8 and 10. I have a 2GB win 8 tablet ( cheap $200 one) I only hit ram issues with over 30+ tabs open on chrome.

if you want to annoy me, then join my teamspeak server ts.benja.cc

YES OMG YES YES YES YES YES YES YES YES.

ALL MY YES.

*dies*

::sigh::

I want to like this. I want to feel the urge to blow part of my tax return on this. But, alas, I cannot. 

1. $500 for something that has no included keyboard.f it was $500 and INCLUDED the keyboard, I would buy it. At $630 with a keyboard.. that is way too close to ultrabook territory. I'd rather buy a thin ultrabook for a little more than this? Considering the Pro3 is not much more, I'm so confused at the pricing on this. 

2. 2GB Ram. Really? That is so 2013. And Im not trying to be funny, I'm dead serious, what the heck microsoft? So, in order to get a measly 4GB, I'm spending $600, NOT including a keyboard. So now, if I wanted 4GB and a keyboard, I am now looking at $730 - REALLY??? I feel like Im buying from apple at this point. But instead of an ultrabook, I'm just getting an atom-based tablet, with a cramped keyboard. 

Maybe my use case scenario is flawed? I want a 10" tablet that has a keyboard that I can run microsoft office 2010 and other full x86 apps on. I need to be able to have Outlook running, as well as a few tabs in chrome, and Excel at the same time. Maybe Webex for a meeting. 

Maybe I just expect too much from devices these days, maybe I should be looking at cheapo "netbooks" with no touch screens. ::shrugs:: I just thought that something with an atom processor and 4GB of ram shouldn't cost $600, $730 if I want to actually type on something other than the screen. 

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

About time Microsoft released a surface at a lower price that runs full windows and not the pos that was rt. I think i might actually get one of these. It would be much easier to carry around than my 17" asus workstation laptop for school.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Well, I guess that since this is running full Windows, it means that Windows RT is officially dead.

the cpu concerns me, but if apple think a 14nm dual core intel core m is enough for general use for QHD ultrabook, the 14 nm quad core intel atom might be enough for a full hd tablet, although it does have 4x less cache per core and almost half as much SDP, and a much much weaker gpu.

For me, I am curious how long will the battery life last.

The ad said it is an all day whereas the site said 9 or 10 hours while watching videos.

Hmm, I might wait until the reviewer reviews the battery life.

Well, I guess that since this is running full Windows, it means that Windows RT is officially dead.

Yes it was announced. It won't get Windows 10 either. Windows RT users will however get "Windows 8.2" An update that includes some of the Windows 10 features.

the cpu concerns me, but if apple think a 14nm dual core intel core m is enough for general use for QHD ultrabook, the 14 nm quad core intel atom might be enough for a full hd tablet, although it does have 4x less cache per core and almost half as much SDP, and a much much weaker gpu.

Well, it isn't like you are trying to play Crysis 3, Battlefield 4/Hardline or any intensive gaming OR running any powerful softwares. :P

It is more of casual or business use such as One Note, emails, browsing, Microsoft Office, etc. :P

Maybe few light gaming here and there but that is pretty much it. :P

I think the new Intel Atom Quad Core CPU is probably enough but who know. It is new, so I don't think there is a benchmark out for it yet.

We might as well wait and see. 

Apparently this new Atom is a tad slower than the Core i3 (much faster than the previous Atoms). I still want to see proper benchmarks, of course, but it looks promising.

The device is clearly targeted at students that don't run software development IDEs or programming or anything demanding. It is targeted at people who don't need the performance. They'll use it for note taking, checking mail, view PDFs, Office, and web surfing.

Here is a nice video Microsoft released later after the announcement which I think does... FINALLY.. a good job explaining the power of the pen for the device. Microsoft marketing has always been weak, it is nice to see something decent every now and then.

The iPad Air 2 is 500 dollars. You might say "but that's the 16GB model!" and you would be right, but it's Microsoft's choice to not have a lower capacity model. The bigger eMMC doesn't cost that much either so comparing it against the iPad, which has a huge Apple tax on it, isn't exactly a good defense.

You also have to factor in the price for the keyboard (both its USP and pretty much necessary to make the device usable) when comparing it to the iPad. That's an extra 130 dollars.

I think the Surface 3 uses a decently fast SSD. and not eMMC. That costs more as well.

Agreed, it has a full size USB 3.0 port so it's not like charging it restricts you from using USB devices.

Double Agreed. And with 10h+ (as they claim 10h of video playback, so I assume you'll be doing office work most often as the target is students), you won't be charging it all the time. True Type-C would have been nice. But I think in order for this, Microsoft would need to put a USB 3.1 controller, and that is not cheap per se.

Double Agreed. And with 10h+ (as they claim 10h of video playback, so I assume you'll be doing office work most often as the target is students), you won't be charging it all the time. True Type-C would have been nice. But I think in order for this, Microsoft would need to put a USB 3.1 controller, and that is not cheap per se.

Are there efficiency numbers out for 3.1 controllers yet? On a mobile device like this I doubt they wanted to add any extra power drain; and 3.1 is very new I'm gonna doubt its supper efficient yet.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Are there efficiency numbers out for 3.1 controllers yet? On a mobile device like this I doubt they wanted to add any extra power drain; and 3.1 is very new I'm gonna doubt its supper efficient yet.

No. All we know is that Apple uses a hacked up USB 3.1 controller, which doesn't give the full 3.1 performance on its new MacBook.

Yes and no. The Surface Pro 3 has been out for a while. This is basically a cheaper/lighter/thinner/less powerful version of the Pro 3.

Here are some differences:

• Surface 3 starts at $499, Pro 3 starts at $799
  • Surface 3 is 10.8" 1920x1280 and 1.37 lbs, Pro 3 is 12" 2160x1440 and 1.76 lbs
  • Surface 3 has three-position kickstand, Pro 3 has "any-position" kickstand
  • Surface 3 runs Windows 8.1 x86, Pro 3 runs Windows 8.1 Pro x86, Surface 3 is also including 1 year free of Office 365 Personal
  • Both get free upgrade to Windows 10 when it is available
  • Surface 3 up to 10 hours battery life, Pro 3 up to 9 hours
  • Surface 3 is fanless, Pro 3 has a fan but is almost never heard
  • Surface 3 runs latest quad-core Intel Atom, Pro 3 runs 4th Gen Core i3/i5/i7
  • Both have full-size USB 3.0 port, Mini-DisplayPort, MicroSD slot up to 128 GB, headphones jack, port for keyboard
  • Surface 3 uses standard Micro USB for charging, Pro 3 has proprietary charger
  • Surface 3 highest spec is the Intel Atom with 4 GB RAM and 128 GB SSD, Pro 3 highest spec is 4th Gen i7 with 8 GB RAM and 512 GB SSD

I think that about covers it.

plus the kickstand on Surface 3 can be only adjust 1 of 3 positions, Pro 3 has more flexibility  nvm

If you have old touch cover or type cover it will still work but it just won't align properly. :) 

If you have old touch cover or type cover it will still work but it just won't align properly. :)

Won't align exactly. The Surface Pro 1 and 2, Surface 1 and 2 are 10.6inch devices. But it might be close. We have to wait and see.

This is what I waiting for when the first surface showed up. But now I have a samsung tablet that is maybe a year old.

I could replace my old laptop and tablet with this though.

Blarg

hmmm this would be the perfect tablet replacement

Surface Pro 3 still feels like a perfect device for me though

"It seems we living the American dream, but the people highest up got the lowest self esteem. The prettiest people do the ugliest things, for the road to riches and diamond rings."- Kanye West, "All Falls Down"

saw it today at M$ store.  The IPS screen was excellent like the Pro 3 with lower res of course.  It was very responsive and the active stylus was a dream to use.  I will buy the  $599 version.  For $100 more, you get twice the ram and storage.  I only wish the stylus came with it which is an additional $49.   A true contender for the ipad 2 air.

Aw, pen sold separately. :(

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600X            | Cooler: Deepcool AK400      | Motherboard: B550 Elite AX V2  | Storage: Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  |

RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB   | GPU: MSI RTX 3060 Ti        | Case: NZXT H440 (Red/Black)    | PSU: EVGA 650W G2             |