Surface 3 announced, 499$ USD base price, features atom X7 and full windows 8.1 (not RT!)

AlexGoesHigh

saw it today at M$ store.  The IPS screen was excellent like the Pro 3 with lower res of course.  It was very responsive and the active stylus was a dream to use.  I will buy the  $599 version.  For $100 more, you get twice the ram and storage.  I only wish the stylus came with it which is an additional $49.   A true contender for the ipad 2 air.

Wrong company. Microsoft is the company we are talking about.

U Wot M8?

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Apparently this new Atom is a tad slower than the Core i3 (much faster than the previous Atoms). I still want to see proper benchmarks, of course, but it looks promising.

The device is clearly targeted at students that don't run software development IDEs or programming or anything demanding. It is targeted at people who don't need the performance. They'll use it for note taking, checking mail, view PDFs, Office, and web surfing.

Here is a nice video Microsoft released later after the announcement which I think does... FINALLY.. a good job explaining the power of the pen for the device. Microsoft marketing has always been weak, it is nice to see something decent every now and then.

Cherry Trail runs Airmont which is simply a die shrunk Silvermont. So the performance increase is going to be merely from node improvement and slight better clock frequencies (0.01 MHz actually). The real gravy is the integrated graphics. All previous generation Atom's topped out at 4 execution units. The x7-Z8700 used in the Surface 3 raises that up to 16 execution units. Also moving from Gen7.5 to Gen8 architecture. The graphics performance increase was probably one of the main influences as to why chose the use of the Atom. I'm personally more interested in if these new Atom's are quick to throttle. As they would be a pretty massive step forward for gaming on tablets (Skyrim, etc).

Cherry Trail runs Airmont which is simply a die shrunk Silvermont. So the performance increase is going to be merely from node improvement and slight better clock frequencies (0.01 MHz actually). The real gravy is the integrated graphics. All previous generation Atom's topped out at 4 execution units. The x7-Z8700 used in the Surface 3 raises that up to 16 execution units. Also moving from Gen7.5 to Gen8 architecture. The graphics performance increase was probably one of the main influences as why to ultimately chose to use the Atom. I'm personally more interested in if these new Atom's are quick to throttle. As they would be a pretty massive step forward for gaming on tablets (Skyrim, etc).

Well, it isn't like we would be using it for gaming.

I am more curious about how well the Intel Atom battery life improve. :P

Now, I am kind of a bit of at loss on whether I should buy S3 or SP3 in the near future. :P

This looks nice. And luckily charging does not restrict you from connecting other things into your device.

huh?????

which company are you thinking I'm talking about?

I hope that the launch of the Surface 3 doesn't mean that the Surface Pro 4 won't be released this summer. Ideally for uni I want a tablet as close to A4 so the S3 looks a tad small, however I couldn't bring myself to buy a SP3 at this stage (at almost a year old).

Also here's an article regarding the performance of the X7 against core M and the SP3 i5 (CPU only). http://www.itwire.com/business-it-news/byo-technology/67537-what-is-an-intel-atom-x7?-and-why-you-should-care

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

I think the Surface 3 uses a decently fast SSD. and not eMMC. That costs more as well.

I wouldn't bet money on that. My guess is that it's eMMC like other Atom devices.

There was a surface 3 event recently and a video has emerged from the event where the s3 is opened for everyone there to see the inner hardware. Take a look.

post-5026-0-49365100-1427975997.jpg

There was a surface 3 event recently and a video has emerged from the event where the s3 is opened for everyone there to see the inner hardware. Take a look.

Wow it doesn't look like Microsoft used the space inside very well, there looks to be significant space int he bottom of the device. Then again for a 'budget' device I guess custom battery cells were out of the question. Hopefully the X7 is frugal enough to easily last a day of notetaking and we browsing.

Data Scientist - MSc in Advanced CS, B.Eng in Computer Engineering

atom... 500$... why?

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

atom... 500$... why?

Atoms from this gen and last gen are not the snails they where 5 or even 3 years ago. They are quite good for the types of work you would have needed a Pentium to work on reasonably just a couple of years ago.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

Atoms from this gen and last gen are not the snails they where 5 or even 3 years ago. They are quite good for the types of work you would have needed a Pentium to work on reasonably just a couple of years ago.

but notebooks with last gen atom where available for 150~250$, i dont see how the x7 can justify double the price

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

but notebooks with last gen atom where available for 150~250$, i dont see how the x7 can justify double the price

Well, this is not a notebook, its a well-built Super-HD, Touchscreen device. So the higher price is because of all that.

But I'm still not okay with $500. I'd buy instantly if it was $450 including the keyboard...

D3SL91 | Ethan | Gaming+Work System | NAS System | Photo: Nikon D750 + D5200

Not quite fair to compare the low end prices that usually popped up during holidays/black Friday; also those devices did not have full HD screens they had 1280x 720 or 13xx.768 screens which I imagine is playing a part along with the fact those almost universally where limited to 2GB of ram.

Then there is the fact possibility that Intel may not be subsidizing these processors as much as they did when they where still proving themselves.

double post

Well, this is not a notebook, its a well-built Super-HD, Touchscreen device. So the higher price is because of all that.

But I'm still not okay with $500. I'd buy instantly if it was $450 including the keyboard...

even the atom based asus hybrids go for 250 and the keyboard is included, and that keyboard Also has a 2.5" slot that lets you expand the storage

even the atom based asus hybrids go for 250 and the keyboard is included, and that keyboard Also has a 2.5" slot that lets you expand the storage

1 They haven't been available at that price for months

2 the 4gb variant was never available at that price. (with the exception of black friday doorbuster)

Not quite fair to compare the low end prices that usually popped up during holidays/black Friday; also those devices did not have full HD screens they had 1280x 720 or 13xx.768 screens which I imagine is playing a part along with the fact those almost universally where limited to 2GB of ram.

Then there is the fact possibility that Intel may not be subsidizing these processors as much as they did when they where still proving themselves.

those where full retail prices, no discounts; the entry for this surface also comes with 2gb of ram sooo... so far only the screen seems to cover the extra 250

those where full retail prices, no discounts; the entry for this surface also comes with 2gb of ram sooo... so far only the screen seems to cover the extra 250

Sir the original MSRP of the t100 From asus is $400 USD for the 64GB version

the original MSRP of the t200 is $500 for the 64GB 4GB ram model.

please check your facts.

Edit: they where on deep discount for a long time but the MSRP has not changed since launch.

Edit2: also in the US the first wave of them did not have the keyboard that could take a hard drive. ( I know I returned one for that reason)

1 They haven't been available at that price for months

2 the 4gb variant was never available at that price. (with the exception of black friday doorbuster)

i see them at that price, new, without discounts

the entry surface also comes with 2gb

Here is what you get:

-> Latest and fastest Atom

-> Fast (max system bus speed) LPDDR3 RAM. (costly)

-> 2x 8MP camera with auto-focus

-> High resolution screen, IPS panel

-> Really good 10-point multi-touch screen (assuming it is the same as Surface Pro line)

-> Highest end digitizer N-Trig technology (assuming it is the same as the Surface Pro 3)

-> Pretty decent stereo front speaker (might sound silly, but it seams to be a luxury)

-> Mini-DisplayPort (many don't have video outputs)

-> Full Size USB 3.0 (the rest have only USB 2.0 or nothing or micro-SUB only)

-> High build quality

-> Currently fastest Atom on the market

-> Large and high quality battery (assuming the same quality battery as the Surface Pro line: 80% capacity after 4 year, resilient from accelerated wear from heat produced by system)

-> Good Wireless AC and bluetooth module

-> fast SSD and not eMMC (assuming like the Surface Pro line)

-> Absolute junk free (no subsidized price)

-> Good after sale service, and ok warranty service (needs some work. Microsoft should manage it and not a third party company like now. You only have excellent service if you go at Microsoft store, where they simply give you a new device)

Not bad, especially if the assumptions are correct. I am not saying it is the best deal in the universe, but it's not a rip-off or crazy overpriced.

Here is what you get:

-> Latest and fastest Atom

-> Fast (max system bus speed) LPDDR3 RAM. (costly)

-> 2x 8MP camera with auto-focus

-> High resolution screen, IPS panel

-> Really good 10-point multi-touch screen (assuming it is the same as Surface Pro line)

-> Highest end digitizer N-Trig technology (assuming it is the same as the Surface Pro 3)

-> Pretty decent stereo front speaker (might sound silly, but it seams to be a luxury)

-> Mini-DisplayPort (many don't have video outputs)

-> Full Size USB 3.0 (the rest have only USB 2.0 or nothing or micro-SUB only)

-> High build quality

-> Currently fastest Atom on the market

-> Large and high quality battery (assuming the same quality battery as the Surface Pro line: 80% capacity after 4 year, resilient from accelerated wear from heat produced by system)

-> Good Wireless AC and bluetooth module

-> fast SSD and not eMMC (assuming like the Surface Pro line)

-> Absolute junk free (no subsidized price)

-> Good after sale service, and ok warranty service (needs some work. Microsoft should manage it and not a third party company like now. You only have excellent service if you go at Microsoft store, where they simply give you a new device)

Not bad, especially if the assumptions are correct. I am not saying it is the best deal in the universe, but it's not a rip-off or crazy overpriced.

I'm Kind of doubting they will go with full blown ssd's when they will get a tangible power savings from not using a memory controller and using straight eMMC 5 or hopefully 5.1 and not lose a ton of performance over 64GB ssd's

i see them at that price, new, without discounts

the entry surface also comes with 2gb

Those where on sale, look at launch reviews the MSRP is set quite a bit higher than that.

While I do find it to be expensive given that it is powered by an Atom and doesn't include the keyboard or stylus I probably would've still considered buying this but that 2GB of RAM really puts me off.

$100 more for 4GB RAM and 128GB sounds reasonable but then that comes to $600 without the keyboard. Given at $700 I can buy legit ultrabooks I'm kind of disappointed with the Surface 3.

Hopefully in a couple of months there'll be a sale or some sort of discount then I'll give it another gander.

Doesn't seems to be enough of a price different for the gimped processor specially since it's expected to run full OS versions of software. Though I might be completely wrong.

It's a quadcore that will probably hold up pretty well, compared to the normal ULV dual cores

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it