Surface 3 announced, 499$ USD base price, features atom X7 and full windows 8.1 (not RT!)

AlexGoesHigh

Can the mod that merged the repost fix the op, i don't understand why they merged it that way

I was wondering what happened. Your magnificent post has been butchered. :(

CPU: i7 4790K  RAM: 32 GB 2400 MHz  Motherboard: Asus Z-97 Pro  GPU: GTX 770  SSD: 256 GB Samsung 850 Pro  OS: Windows 8.1 64-bit

I would love to get that and dual boot Win 10 and OSX on in, just because I can.

Oh wait, I can't, because I'm poor as fuck.

Doesn't seems to be enough of a price different for the gimped processor specially since it's expected to run full OS versions of software. Though I might be completely wrong.

It's definitely not as strong as the other Surface products rocking i5's and i7's although the Atom x7-Z8700 should suffice for most of what you're looking to do with a tablet.

If it came with the keyboard for the $499 price tag it would be a great buy although without it the unit is just too pricey imo.

Didn't the surface 3 already come out?is this just the low end version?

That's the Surface Pro 3. This is the Surface 3 (non-pro). It is the lower end version.

MS finally figured out what the Surface is supposed to be, this is good.

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

This actually looks decent....

until the UK price is announced at £499 :P

It better not be lol will maybe have to import from the US :P

Gaming PC: Case: NZXT Phantom 820 Black | PSU: XFX 750w PRO Black Edition 80Plus Gold (Platinum) | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K | CPU Cooler: BE QUIET! Dark Rock Pro 2 | MB: ASUS Sabertooth Z97 Mark S | RAM: 24GB Kingston HyperX and Corsair Vengeance 1866MHz | GPU: MSI R9 280X 3G | SSD: Samsung 840 Evo 250GB | HDD: 9TB Total | Keyboard: K70 RGB Brown | Mouse: R.A.T MMO7

Laptop: HP Envy 15-j151sa | 1920x1080 60HZ LED | APU: AMD A10-5750M 2.5GHZ - 3.5GHZ | 8GB DDR3 1600mhz | GPU: AMD  HD 8650G + 8750M Dual Graphics | 1TB SSHD

It's definitely not as strong as the other Surface products rocking i5's and i7's although the Atom x7-Z8700 should suffice for most of what you're looking to do with a tablet.

If it came with the keyboard for the $499 price tag it would be a great buy although without it the unit is just too pricey imo.

That's the thing: with a tablet os and apps I'd be fine. This has a full version of Windows, not the RT or tablet version, meaning that it will have to cope with full version of apps

-------

Current Rig

-------

This tablet only really seems to be for Office use only. Great build quality but a bit under powered for me. Though the average user would love it but at $500? hmm we shall find out.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

That's the thing: with a tablet os and apps I'd be fine. This has a full version of Windows, not the RT or tablet version, meaning that it will have to cope with full version of apps

There shouldn't be any problems running x86 software. We've had tablets out for a while now that has been running the full version of Windows 8.1 without issues.

Micro usb Charger?

God dammnit microsoft, really?

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

Micro usb Charger?

God dammnit microsoft, really?

Seems fine by me. Most tablets and phones use it for charging and you can reuse your existing phone charger with this and avoid having to use only proprietary charger.

Seems fine by me. Most tablets and phones use it for charging and you can reuse your existing phone charger with this and avoid having to use only proprietary charger.

Agreed, it has a full size USB 3.0 port so it's not like charging it restricts you from using USB devices.

500$?

It's 600 euros for the base version in Italy. Without the keyboard.

On a mote of dust, suspended in a sunbeam

Until I can attach an egpu I'm going to wait. I want one so bad but I'd get the fully specced pro, and I can't justify that price unless it's replacing something.

Daily Driver:

Case: Red Prodigy CPU: i5 3570K @ 4.3 GHZ GPU: Powercolor PCS+ 290x @1100 mhz MOBO: Asus P8Z77-I CPU Cooler: NZXT x40 RAM: 8GB 2133mhz AMD Gamer series Storage: A 1TB WD Blue, a 500GB WD Blue, a Samsung 840 EVO 250GB

This tablet only really seems to be for Office use only. Great build quality but a bit under powered for me. Though the average user would love it but at $500? hmm we shall find out.

IDK after using my old atom tablet for a year it seemed snappy enougph for almost all my daily media consumption and reading tasks. and that one's CPU was 600Mhz slower.the only thing I really wanted to upgrade on it was the ram 2GB was borderline last year 4gb really should have been the low end cut.

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

You can trust me, I'm from the Internet.

Still too darn expensive. 

How so? Its cheaper than the nearest apple equivalent device with quite a bit more functionality. 

System CPU : Ryzen 9 5950 doing whatever PBO lets it. Motherboard : Asus B550 Wifi II RAM 80GB 3600 CL 18 2x 32GB 2x 8GB GPUs Vega 56 & Tesla M40 Corsair 4000D Storage: many and varied small (512GB-1TB) SSD + 5TB WD Green PSU 1000W EVGA GOLD

How so? Its cheaper than the nearest apple equivalent device with quite a bit more functionality. 

A tablet over a couple hundred Dollars I see to be too much.

COMIC SANS

A tablet over a couple hundred Dollars I see to be too much.

So your not a fan of any name brand tablet from this generation over 7 inches? 

So your not a fan of any name brand tablet from this generation over 7 inches? 

Over 8 inches. Ten inches for a tablet is too large in my opinion. I see 8" as the perfect size. 

COMIC SANS

Over 8 inches. Ten inches for a tablet is too large in my opinion. I see 8" as the perfect size. 

Thats fair enough but this tablet isn't competing against 7 or 8 inch tablets its competing against 9.7 to 11 in tablets which while they are also good for content consumption get used for business purposes much more often.

Personally I like my larger tablets like my 14" yoga when I'm going to be using it for longer than 20 or 30 min like on a long car ride or chaining through a anime series especially if i'm watching with someone else. But a smaller tablet like my Dell venue 8 pro is great when I'm waiting at a doctors office or for reading an article on the couch.

The iPad Air 2 is 500 dollars. You might say "but that's the 16GB model!" and you would be right, but it's Microsoft's choice to not have a lower capacity model. The bigger eMMC doesn't cost that much either so comparing it against the iPad, which has a huge Apple tax on it, isn't exactly a good defense.

You also have to factor in the price for the keyboard (both its USP and pretty much necessary to make the device usable) when comparing it to the iPad. That's an extra 130 dollars.

The iPad Air 2 is 500 dollars. You might say "but that's the 16GB model!" and you would be right, but it's Microsoft's choice to not have a lower capacity model. The bigger eMMC doesn't cost that much either so comparing it against the iPad, which has a huge Apple tax on it, isn't exactly a good defense.

You also have to factor in the price for the keyboard (both its USP and pretty much necessary to make the device usable) when comparing it to the iPad. That's an extra 130 dollars.

1 I think it is a fair enough defense when 16 GB is hardly a usable device unless your 100% on a network. The few GB that you have left over make the 16GB iPad a terribly niche device when used without WiFi or LTE if your looking at video your going to run out of content on your local storage before you run out of battery. then again if your reading or reading and listening to music/ audiobook it is less of an issue but the storage management aspect of it seems very blah. Also there is a much larger number of things you can do with the device on the windows platform.

2 there is a $50 keyboard option and I have used my 8 inch dell with only the on screen keyboard before for extended periods it is not a bad experience at all. (its a bit unwieldy on the 14 inch unless your in portrait mode)

Then again if the battery life is not very good  (as I am expecting it to be) It starts to look a lot less appealing than a cheaper or beefier (spec wise) convertible PC

i really waant this :(

im guessing it'll arrive here with about 978.6usd price tag..and in about 2years from now

This'll be great for all the people who want a Surface Pro 3 but can't afford the higher price and don't demand enormous power. Most of the time I just take notes on my SP3 so if this were out when I bought the Pro 3, I'd have probably gotten this instead.

hai