Need to discreetly kill my wife's laptop

ELSknutson

@ELSknutson Just buy her another one and set it up for her and relegate the old one to being a back-up. That way she can just transition onto the the new laptop.

Otherwise just tell her it's going to reach a point where it's just not going to be powerful enough to be able to handle the increasing complexity of the web content and that that time's coming and it'll grind to a halt more or less overnight so she needs to migrate now.

Edit:

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/335602-need-to-discreetly-kill-my-wifes-laptop/?p=4578405

^...okay I'm coming around to the idea...

lol

X0P

...but give her notice, buy her a new one and let her transition. You don't have to break her old one, just let her keep it, it might have sentimental value for her...?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

Triforce that shit!

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

How good is she with PC's?

Would making Windows unusable and telling her you will sell it as 'scrap' work?

Well she knows I can fix windows issues. 

My Idea was to take the thermal past off the Cpu Because the computer fan has been running at 100% for about 3 weeks now and I know i can fix it but Im not going to. 

That wouldn't work because thermal shutdown.

But worry not, as it is a HP it'll die soon enough.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

Well she knows I can fix windows issues. 

Tell her you cant fix it

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

no I dont have the exact picture this is just an example of how it looks.

Okay, well look...just this...

http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/335602-need-to-discreetly-kill-my-wifes-laptop/page-2#entry4578408

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

That wouldn't work because thermal shutdown.

But worry not, as it is a HP it'll die soon enough.

I dont know that thing has gone through allot  its been on deployment to Afganistan gone through 3 years of college, Coke spilled on it, its been dropped off hights of over 3 feet on to a hard floor. Its like a wounded animal that just wont die.

Tell her you cant fix it

It would need to be convincing because she has seen me dismantle fix it a laptop completely and resemble it to it original working state 

I dont know that thing has gone through allot  its been on deployment to Afganistan gone through 3 years of college, Coke spilled on it, its been dropped off hights of over 3 feet on to a hard floor. Its like a wounded animal that just wont die.

You can always try opening it and short the board.

Intel i7 7700K | MSI Z270 Gaming M3 | MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X| Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4 3000Mhz Samsung EVO 850 250GB | WD Blue 1TB | Corsair CS650M | Thermalright Macho Rev. A | NZXT S340

CM Storm Quickfire TK [MX Blues] | Zowie FK1 |  Kingston HyperX Cloud

What if she sees this thread

CPU AMD FX-6300 Motherboard MSI 970A-G43 RAM G.Skill Sniper Series 8GB (2x4GB) GPU PNY GTX 660 Case NZXT Source 210 Elite (White) Storage1TB Western Digital Caviar Blue PSU Corsair 500W Display(s)AOC and Viewsonic Cooling Enermax ETS-T40-TB Keyboard CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid with Blue Switches Dollar Store Mouse Sound Dollar Store Speaker

Um no! thats just mean 

Then what?

Because he had a hard drive.

You need to mess up the RAM. Try overvolting it or just mess with the pins of it. Then the laptop won't boot to windows. If you need an excuse to open it tell her you would fix the fan. :)

Take out the Harddrive/SSD.

Replace it with identical HDD without OS.

Noone will notice.

No damage.

Laptop still can be sold.

Basic guide to CPU's!

If I said I were 14, you would call me a kid. If I say 70, you’ll entitle me too old. If I say 20 you say I’m inexperienced and if I say 40 than I'm too boring.

龴 ͡ↀ ◡ ͡ↀ龴#locked( ͡͡ ° ͜ ʖ ͡ °)

Just make sure to back up her data before "things happen".

Why not try to be reasonable with the explanation, that shes not making a good expression running around with such a damaged old laptop.

Do Clients see her Laptop - is she showing them stuff on her screen?

If yes, then she might understand, that shes not the only one suffering from this "brick".

Equipment makes an impression too...

You need to mess up the RAM. Try overvolting it or just mess with the pins of it. Then the laptop won't boot to windows. If you need an excuse to open it tell her you would fix the fan. :)

Get your hands on a dead stick of ram snd put it into the notebook it won't boot

This might work I do have a few dead sodimms here at work that I could use 

Just make sure to back up her data before "things happen".

Why not try to be reasonable with the explanation, that shes not making a good expression running around with such a damaged old laptop.

Do Clients see her Laptop - is she showing them stuff on her screen?

If yes, then she might understand, that shes not the only one suffering from this "brick".

Equipment makes an impression too...

she mainly uses it at home and at school but I feel embarrassed seeing her use it. 

Lock up the fan in the laptop. Connect some bare solder. That's pretty subtle.

I could just cut one of the fan blades off and let it crunch around till it jams