Need to discreetly kill my wife's laptop

ELSknutson

So My wife has a Walmart special HP DV6 

something similar to this 

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6130us-Entertainment-Notebook/dp/B005LLYKEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427373502&sr=8-2&keywords=Hp+DV6

I Put some tweeks to it though I added a Samsung 840 pro 128GB SSD and 4GB more ram 

when the lap top was new it was not to bad but fast forward 4 years and well it needs to die

my wife is an accountant and does a lot of school work and runs allot of accounting software on her PC but about 4 months ago she spilled a Coke on her display so now its all blotchy but the laptop is still usable so she doesn't want to get rid of it.  The laptop has seen better days and if i put the old 500GB HDD in it and take out a sodimm and sell it 

Im guessing I may get $100-$150 for it. So my goal is to make it seem like the PC is not fixable (which no pc is un-fixable) and would cost more to repair then just getting a new laptop. 

My Idea was to take the thermal past off the Cpu Because the computer fan has been running at 100% for about 3 weeks now and I know i can fix it but Im not going to. 

I want to get her a nice Laptop Like a Linovo Y50 with an i5 or i7 in it.

so my question is do you the community know a way to discreetly kill my wifes lap top?

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Pavilion-dv6-6130us-Entertainment-Notebook/dp/B005LLYKEK/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1427373502&sr=8-2&keywords=Hp+DV6

I Put some tweeks to it though I added a Samsung 840 pro 128GB SSD and 4GB more ram 

when the lap top was new it was not to bad but fast forward 4 years and well it needs to die

my wife is an accountant and does a lot of school work and runs allot of accounting software on her PC but about 4 months ago she spilled a Coke on her display so now its all blotchy but the laptop is still usable so she doesn't want to get rid of it.  The laptop has seen better days and if i put the old 500GB HDD in it and take out a sodimm and sell it 

Im guessing I may get $100-$150 for it. So my goal is to make it seem like the PC is not fixable (which no pc is un-fixable) and would cost more to repair then just getting a new laptop. 

My Idea was to take the thermal past off the Cpu Because the computer fan has been running at 100% for about 3 weeks now and I know i can fix it but Im not going to. 

so my question is do you the community know a way to discreetly kill my wifes lap top?

Have you tried smothering it with a pillow? im sorry

Anyways I would go with your plan. Or you can try to break the computer fan.

I don't think risking problems for her ability to work is going to do you or her any favors and if she knows you killed it she'd not be too happy.

I'd just get the laptop and over a weekend (or some period of time she isn't working) migrate everything to the new laptop..

How good is she with PC's?

Would making Windows unusable and telling her you will sell it as 'scrap' work?

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just buy a new laptop anyway and do the 'I'll throw it away if you don't accept it' thing. That's how I tend to buy stuff for people that are awkward to  buy things for.

My guess is, if you could possible remove the thermal paste, why not open it up, get a torch, and heat it up a bit. but it's probably shit

You're reading this. Why are you reading this?

I don't think risking problems for her ability to work is going to do you or her any favors and if she knows you killed it she'd not be too happy.

I'd just get the laptop and over a weekend (or some period of time she isn't working) migrate everything to the new laptop..

she an accountant and she has our family on a strict budget and she also lives off  drive it till it dies mentality. 

:rolleyes:

It might have stuff on there she needs?!

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

"Accidentally" Throw water all over it.

Make sure to soak it wet , "Accidentally"

Linus did that and the PC still worked  also she dumped a full can of Coke on it already and it survived so.

Linus did that and the PC still worked  also she dumped a full can of Coke on it already and it survived so.

It works , trust me .

You need to fill the motherboard with water and try to turn it on.

It will short and die.

Be careful not to get shocked tho.

:rolleyes:

It might have stuff on there she needs?!

ya on the the SSD I can take that stuff off and even so We have a NAS in our house that we back up all our Homework and important stuff to 

I hate people like your wife..never wanting to throw away old pc's just cause "it still works" and are scared they are gonna loose data or something

If you need remote help fixing something on your computer

I can help over Teamviewer if you wish

just msg me on my profile

Not sure if this would work at all, but if you can open it up then ESD. Just charge yourself up a lot somehow (maybe rub your feet on a carpet while wearing socks or something like that) and try to kill it with an electrostatic discharge.

Don't forget to Like the things you like!

Stab it repeatedly with a knife. Preferably a nice bayonet.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

ya on the the SSD I can take that stuff off and even so We have a NAS in our house that we back up all our Homework and important stuff to 

Dude, seriously, will she not let you buy a new one unless you break that one?

"I try to put good out into the world...that way I can believe it's out there." --CKN                  “How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours.” --Wayne Dyer            

[Needs Updating] My PC: i5-10600K @TBD / 32GB DDR4 @4000MHz / Z490 AORUS Elite AC / Titan RTX / Samsung 1TB 960 Evo / EVGA SuperNova 850 T2

^^^^^ This,. don't piss her off,.. do the right thing.

/No doubt her new machine will be faster, and with all her work on it, she'd be thankful of the upgrade.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It works , trust me .

You need to fill the motherboard with water and try to turn it on.

It will short and die.

Be careful not to get shocked tho.

discreetly kill the laptop  not her lol

​I think she would notice water coming out the bottom.

My guess is, if you could possible remove the thermal paste, why not open it up, get a torch, and heat it up a bit. but it's probably shit

I dont want to damage the computer  taking the thermal past off is only going to turn on for a second heat up the cpu and then turn off 

discreetly kill the laptop  not her lol

​I think she would notice water coming out the bottom.

I dont want to damage the computer  taking the thermal past off is only going to turn on for a second heat up the cpu and then turn off 

Over volt the cpu on the laptop.

Over volt the ram.

OVER VOLT EVERYTHING UNTIL IT BURNS.

I hate people like your wife..never wanting to throw away old pc's just cause "it still works" and are scared they are gonna loose data or something

no she not scared about that but she is kinda cheep when it come to electronics. Especially computers. I think its because I spend more time with them then her she has grown jealous. 

snip

Why not just try fool her? How tech savy is she?

Something like Barnacules Drunk PC prank?

Put it on the PC and just be like "oh I've seen problems like this before. It will work for a while but you may lose all the data on the laptop at some point. I think it might be wise to think about retiring the old girl. It's a shame. It really is a great little laptop. I'm gonna miss that thing".

Okay I may be trying to oversell it here but you get the idea. ;)

You could configure the settings so that it doesn't happen much at the start but progressively gets worse and worse.

Rig: i7 2600K @ 4.2GHz, Larkooler Watercooling System, MSI Z68a-gd80-G3, 8GB G.Skill Sniper 1600MHz CL9, Gigabyte GTX 670 Windforce 3x 2GB OC, Samsung 840 250GB, 1TB WD Caviar Blue, Auzentech X-FI Forte 7.1, XFX PRO650W, Silverstone RV02 Monitors: Asus PB278Q, LG W2243S-PF (Gaming / overclocked to 74Hz) Peripherals: Logitech G9x Laser, QPad MK-50, AudioTechnica ATH AD700

just short it out via the charging port. Easy and "unfixable".
And you will get some smoke and a nice smell wich is always a good thing.

Dude, seriously, will she not let you buy a new one unless you break that one?

yes I even tryed to replace her screen so it didn't look all blotchy from the coke and she said it was fine.

it looks like this 

f3vip.jpg