LibreOffice Online, the open source alt. to Google Docs and Office Online

LibreOffice first introduced the development of LibreOffice Online in 2011, it still hasn't been released.

"Development of LibreOffice Online started back in 2011, with the availability of a proof of concept of the client front end, based on HTML5 technology," The Document Foundation wrote. "That proof of concept will be developed into a state of the art cloud application, which will become the free alternative to proprietary solutions such as Google Docs and Office 365, and the first to natively support the Open Document Format (ODF) standard."

Extremely useful if you are trying to move away from the corporate giants as you will have another needed service free from them.

Just recently, IceWarp and Collabra are joining together as well with the LibreOffice contributers to build a web based version of the desktop counterpart.

Collabora is an open source consulting firm that offers an enterprise-ready build of LibreOffice, while IceWarp makes a business mail server and collaboration platform for Windows and Linux.

There is no release date set and won't be determined until further in development.

LibreOffice will offer the front-end based on HTML 5 and the server-side that can be self-hosted (such as on a personal vps) and utilized/harnessed to match an organizations/personal needs.

There is also LibreOffice mobile for the android in the works back in 2011 and was close to finishing but did not succeed.

LibreOffice for iOS has no development plans.

Source:

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2015/03/libreoffice-in-the-browser-revealed-in-2011-finally-close-to-reality/

Information Security is my thing.

Running a entry/mid-range pc, upgrading it slowly.

the issue with alot of the open source office software is its awkward to use and integrates poorly with Microsoft documents meaning its not that great when people send you stuff because its usually microsoft based, also alot of the UI is bad usually

That is certainly neat, but I'd rather use Office Online considering how feaature-rich it is, and free

Having problems with your fresh Windows 10 install? PM Me!
Windows 10- Want To Disable Telemetry, Disable Cortana, Disable Windows Updates? Look at my guide HERE
LTT Beginners Guide  | Community Standards | TN&R Posting Guidelines

Honestly, Google Docs is so much better than this.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D