Your VRAM might be leaking confidential data

SIGSEGV

Source: https://hsmr.cc/palinopsia/

tl;dr: VRAM is often not cleared and because of this running the proof of concept code can let the attacker see what you were doing.

3 out of 4 tested laptops did not erase or overwrite their VRAM upon reboot! This offers a potential attack surface for an attacker trying to read confidential information from a locked computer he has physical access to. A possible attack on a Windows-machine might look like this:

The user works on a confidential document and locks their screen

The attacker gains physical access and reboots the system (from the lockscreen) into a live system of their choice

The attacker reads out the VRAM and recovers screenshots of the document

This scenario was tested on a Lenovo Thinkpad W500 with a ATI Radeon HD3750 graphics card. Below is a screenshot from within the Windows system, with a mock-up confidential document:

screenshot1.png

"screenshot" of the same document after rebooting into a Xubuntu live system and running the proof of concept code:

screenshot1.png

While the document is not entirely readable due to fragmentation and interlacing, the color coding shows us that the entirety of the screen might still be recoverable from VRAM. There are also clearly readable fragments.

Most alarmingly perhaps is the fact that this can be executed from a guest OS to grab information from the host:

If the "3D-Acceleration" feature of VirtualBox is activated, running the proof-of-concept code from inside the VM provides the ability to read framebuffers from the host system.

The following experiment was conducted to demonstrate this behaviour:

The host system (arch linux on a laptop running a ATI HD4350/4550 card) is booted

Wikipedia and Youtube are opened in Chromium

A VirtualBox VM running Ubuntu 14.04 is booted

The proof of concept code is executed. The recovered frames belong to the host system and clearly show the visited websites

vm1.png

vm2.png

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

"On a laptop with an Intel HD4000 and a dedicated nVidia card where the OS can switch between cards, one has to force the usage of the dedicated card to read from VRAM. The internal graphics card seems to be unaffected at the moment. Tests showed that in this setup only programs forced to run on the dedicated card will leak data to VRAM." that's a little promising. But still scary. Also is this a just a laptop specific thing? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Right but you basically need physical acces to the PC itself tho... 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

Just get a 970, then you will secure 1/8th of the Vram.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Right but you basically need physical acces to the PC itself tho... 

"It might be possible to leak the content of the VRAM of hardware-accelerated server systems that run thin client 

infrastructures. In the scariest possible way this means that an attacker could read the memory of any machine running in a company. This could also affect big players providing virtual desktops in the cloud." 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

jokes on them

i do all my hackzoring on integrated gpu using system memory :P

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

"It might be possible to leak the content of the VRAM of hardware-accelerated server systems that run thin client 

infrastructures. In the scariest possible way this means that an attacker could read the memory of any machine running in a company. This could also affect big players providing virtual desktops in the cloud." 

"My opinion is that your opinion is wrong." - AlwaysFSX    CPU I5 4690k MB MSI Gaming 5 RAM 2 x 4GB HyperX Blu DDR3 GPU Asus GTX970 Strix,  Case Corsair 760T Storage 1 x 120GB 840EVO 1 x 1TB WD Blue, 1 x 500GB Toshiba  

The cave/beast v2 (OLD) http://imgur.com/a/8AmeH                                  PSU 600W Raidmax RX600AF Displays ASUS VS278Q-P x2, BenQ Xl2720z Cooling Dark Rock 3, 4 AP120s Keyboard Logitech G710+ Mouse Razer Deathadder 

@Jobbe03 I'm sorry please dont kill me. 

I'm lovin' the 970 jokes...  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

CPU: I5-4690K @ 4.3ghz | MOBO: Asus Z97-A | RAM: HyperX Fury 2x4GB White | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970| SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | PSU: EVGA 750B2 80+Bronze | 

It will be very likely possible for things like nVidia GRID though

Considering how damaged these "screenshots" are, chances of capturing useful information is tiny. You may be lucky to get random ID number to something. But if those are fragments from multiple frames the whole post should be just "VRAM has leftover frame pieces".

HUR HUR HUR COMMENT ABOUT THE 970. 

Nice work kids. Get ready for the next round. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Anybody actually able to read whatever was on that test document deserves a prize.

Enlarge it (click on it), a large portion of it is readable. And anyways, it wouldn't be too hard to piece it together to reconstruct some of it.

Its your fault for using linux in the first place.

They're only using Linux to exploit the VRAM, not as the test OS, the test OS is windows 7

I'm lovin' the 970 jokes...  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

The jokes are getting so old - people find something funny and then overdo it. It's not funny anymore people. Shut up about it.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

No hacker has access to my PC.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

Enhance! ENHANCE!

The Internet is the first thing that humanity has built that humanity doesn't understand, the largest experiment in anarchy that we have ever had.

Better run boku no pico a few times before turning off PC, then.

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

So new GPUs with more VRAM, they can see so much haha.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

Won't be seeing much, after all the only reason why my computer restarts is because my r9 290x overheats and crashes.