Google ditched the steering wheel because people are unreliable

The head of Google’s X division has explained why the company chose to abandon the steering wheel in its self-driving cars, claiming that humans are

“not a reliable backup”

particularly in emergency situations, during a talk at SXSW this week.

Astro Teller said that during the company’s tests, they found that motorists had learned to trust the on-board systems in the self-driving cars and as a result, lost focus during journeys and would be less prepared to take control in the event of a system failure or some form of emergency.

pod.jpg

teller said that drivers already took part in distracting activities, like texting, while fully operating a vehicle but once control was handed over to a computer system, drivers had even less reason to pay attention to the road. The result of Google’s extended test apparently “wasn’t pretty”.

So it seems that people are too quick to trust the computer controlled systems inside of the self-driving car, which resulted in

“questionable behavior”

from the driver.

Source  : http://www.engadget.com/2015/03/17/why-google-ditched-the-steering-wheel/

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

fear not, tesla will save us all!

4790k @ 4.6 (1.25 adaptive) // 2x GTX 970 stock clocks/voltage // Dominator Platnium 4x4 16G //Maximus Formula VII // WD Black1TB + 128GB 850 PRO // RM1000 // NZXT H440 // Razer Blackwidow Ultimate 2013 (MX Blue) // Corsair M95 + Steelseries QCK // Razer Adaro DJ // AOC I2757FH

well, its true people are unreliable, god knows how they react when an other car comes 1 inch to close, while its perfectly fine.

i mean, software inside cars can communicate on a crossraod allowing for the best pass through, throw in 1 human and gets fucked up.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

...it doesn't matter how reliable a human is... if the computer fails at least you get a shot to not die if you have a steering wheel. If you don't, you just crash. I don't get the reasoning here.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

...it doesn't matter how reliable a human is... if the computer fails at least you get a shot to not die if you have a steering wheel. If you don't, you just crash. I don't get the reasonment here.

99% of people are too dumb to figure out driving, therefore you shall be given no chances of survival.

I assume that's how the meeting went.

fear not, tesla will save us all!

praise Elon Musk

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

99% of people are too dumb to figure out driving, therefore you shall be given no chances of survival.

I assume that's how the meeting went.

makes sense lol

...sometimes I do wonder how some people got a driving license... or how they haven't died in a crash yet.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

makes sense lol

...sometimes I do wonder how some people got a driving license... or how they haven't died in a crash yet.

Sheer dumb luck I assume.

So is Google claiming they have a 100% glitch free system?
Cause 1 little memory leak in the program and you put peoples lives in danger.

Why not just remove people from car?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Why not just remove people from car?

because it's a "car" , a mode of transportation  

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

because it's a "car" , a mode of transportation  

Irrelevant.

Remove people anyway.  People can go walk safely or take a bike/bus/train/plane.

Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

Irrelevant.

Remove people anyway.  People can go walk safely or take a bike/bus/train/plane.

But what about when buses are automated as well? O.o

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

But what about when buses are automated as well? O.o

I don't recall Google making buses.

I don't recall Google making buses.

Touché

You know what's easier than buying and building a brand new PC? Petty larceny!
If you're worried about getting caught, here's a trick: Only steal one part at a time. Plenty of people will call the cops because somebody stole their computer -- nobody calls the cops because they're "pretty sure the dirty-bathrobe guy from next door jacked my heat sink."

Once self driving cars become a big enough thing they should loosen a lot of traffic laws but include an IQ test in the process of obtaining a drivers license. Anyone who gets above 115 gets a drivers license and can take their car out of the self driving mode, otherwise it's locked.

Irrelevant.

Than was not the point of this thread. if in case they find a way to automate an airplane in the future, will you say to people, they should swim across the ocean and remove people from the plane as well?  just because google doesn't have it now, doesn't mean there wont be 

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

Once self driving cars become a big enough thing they should loosen a lot of traffic laws but include an IQ test in the process of obtaining a drivers license. Anyone who gets above 115 gets a drivers license and can take their car out of the self driving mode, otherwise it's locked.

#1 IQ is a somewhat unreliable measurement.

#2 It would have to be focused more on reflex time and attention levels.

#3 Potato.

With half of the stuff thats coming out of Google ... I swear that they are in lala land with the fairies.

Main Machine:  16 inch MacBook Pro (2021), Apple M1 Pro (10 CPU, 16 GPU Core), 512GB SDD, 16GB RAM

Gaming Machine:  Acer Nitro 5, Core i7 10750H, RTX 3060 (L) 6GB, 1TB SSD (Boot), 2TB SSD (Storage), 32GB DDR4 RAM

Other Tech: iPhone 15 Pro Max, Series 6 Apple Watch (LTE), AirPods Max, PS4, Nintendo Switch, PS3, Xbox 360

Network Gear:  TP Link Gigabit 24 Port Switch, TP-Link Deco M4 Mesh Wi-Fi, M1 MacMini File & Media Server with 8TB of RAID 1 Storage

Than was not the point of this thread. if in case they find a way to automate an airplane in the future, will you say to people, they should swim across the ocean and remove people from the plane as well?  just because google doesn't have it now, doesn't mean there wont be 

Those are not remotely close to the same thing.

You don't see traffic jams in the air, for example.

Those are not remotely close to the same thing.

You don't see traffic jams in the air, for example.

are you saying there shouldn't exist automated cars because they cause traffic ? what even...

Spoiler
Spoiler

PCPartPicker 

are you saying there shouldn't exist automated cars because they cause traffic ? what even...

No.

Read again.