Windows 10 Reclaims Disk Space By Deleting Recovery Image And Employing File Compression

windows10freespace.png

I think this is a fairly neat way to reduce the apparent size of the OS and strip away things that you probably don't need since there are more efficient implementations. 

I do think that compression is a big gamble, given how taxing it might be on your system especially if you run into it on a constant basis, not all computers are superpower beasts that can just crush every single task in no time, but lets see how it gets implemented and then judge. 

Considering that file compression can sometimes have an adverse affect on system performance, a number of steps are taken to ensure that optimum performance levels are maintained on a wide variety of hardware. “The amount of RAM a device has determines how often it retrieves system files from storage,” writes Microsoft. “Another important factor is how quickly a device’s CPUs can run the decompression algorithm when retrieving system files. By considering these and other important factors, Windows is able to assess if a device can use compression without reducing human-perceivable responsiveness.”

Microsoft also says that it will use compression to shrink the footprint of apps, which should an additional boon for consumers. 

The second method to reduce the space requirements for Windows 10 involved the removal of the separate recovery image. Instead, the Refresh and Reset function will “rebuild the operating system in place using runtime system files.” What’s even more noteworthy is that by using existing system files, getting your system back up and running will also take less time. “Not only does this take up less disk space, it also means you will not have a lengthy list of operating system updates to reinstall after recovering your device,” Microsoft continues.

As we get closer to the public release of Windows 10, we’re eager to hear what else Microsoft has in store for us. So far, color us impressed, as we’re definitely ready to get the sour taste of Windows 8.x out of our mouths.

http://hothardware.com/News/windows-10-reclaims-disk-space-by-deleting-recovery-image-and-employing-file-compression?google_editors_picks=true

please dont compress

this BS happens on update files on win8 and its the #1 complaint of slow laptops

the hard drive is on 100% load all the time

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

This is great news for people like me with a 60GB SSD but as @qwertywarrior said this is bad for older computers.

Can we get a settings to turn it on and off plz like paging file?

I thought people already knew that it deleted the recovery image, but I didn't know that it compressed.

So you can actually fit Windows 10 on the new Chromebook Pixel?

please dont compress

this BS happens on update files on win8 and its the #1 complaint of slow laptops

Decompression REDUCES read amount. That is the point. I think it is the junk pre-installed on those systems, or you have found systems from manufacture that once again pull the crap they did back with Vista, where they put 512MB of RAM and other shitty hardware bellow OS system requirements + the junk pre-installed, resulted in unusable experience which most consumers.

Yes, Vista was not the best OS ever, it needed additional polish and optimization, which Windows 7 provided, but the point I am trying to make is that you always have these manufacture desperate for a sale, and ready to lure consumer with low price systems while being total junk from a to z.

Consumers should be educated on the matter.

Why use compression in this day and age when hard drives and ssds have fallen so much in price that storage concerns aren't a problem for most users?

It'll add cpu overhead for little benefit.

ssds will be fine, hdds will dieded with death. Once most people use ssds this would become a good idea, other then that im not a fan.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

please dont compress

I even love it when they hook them up to the internet, fill it up and then call their ISP to complain : "Hughesnet made my 2007 Vista laptop slow!"

-------

Current Rig

-------

Comeon is this all they can comeup with? cant they hire more brains to do some real optimizations,i will definately search to the deeps of my windows 10 to disable any stupid compression.At least they are trying stuff out ill give them that.

SSD's are cheap enough now that i dont need compression.Sound like a waste of manpower, this feature.

Why use compression in this day and age when hard drives and ssds have fallen so much in price that storage concerns aren't a problem for most users?

It'll add cpu overhead for little benefit.

It's to allow 32GB and 16GB based system, and more space on 64GB. Don't forget about low cost Windows Tablets.

Already the Surface Pro got smashed by people because people discovered that recovery image and Windows itself consumes space.

First thing im doing is turning off that compression shit

It will decide if it needs to compress or not, that is my understanding.

please dont compress

Better for SSD's?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

Alongside other improvements, why compress to save few gigabytes really? It's not like OS is 100GB. And even for SSDs today, it's nothing.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

This is a sign that SSD's are getting a big push. 

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Decompression REDUCES read amount. That is the point. I think it is the junk pre-installed on those systems, or you have found systems from manufacture that once again pull the crap they did back with Vista, where they put 512MB of RAM and other shitty hardware bellow OS system requirements + the junk pre-installed, resulted in unusable experience which most consumers.

Yes, Vista was not the best OS ever, it needed additional polish and optimization, which Windows 7 provided, but the point I am trying to make is that you always have these manufacture desperate for a sale, and ready to lure consumer with low price systems while being total junk from a to z.

Consumers should be educated on the matter.

but the article is talking about compression and its only taking in account the CPU's performance and ram space not hard drive performance

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.