Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

Definitely Beats By Dre. Well, they were a gift, but I regret not returning them and getting Sony MDR XB500 (which are the pair I will be getting as soon as my Beats die after only after 2 years).

iPad2

I thought it would be great, I was wrong.

It was a cool toy, but after a week, I just never touched it. I gave it to my sister shortly after.

I'm still stuck with an iPad 2 :(

At first it was nice and smooth, after a year it became so slow, the speaker got so bad you couldn't hear anything. And WiFi performance are horrible, and the edge of the glass started to drop tiny glass pieces and poke/scratch my fingers.. The only good thing about the iPad 2 is the apps, so many apps...

I'm waiting for the new nexus 7 to be available in my country...

Hmm. I would have to say the Galaxy S4.

I went from an iPhone 4S to an iPhone 5 to a Galaxy S4. I started to hate iOS. But the build quality of the S4 is just not up to par with iPhones. Also, I hated iTunes but I think Google Play Music is a tad bit worse at times.

Main reason upgrading is because AT&T / Apple refused to replace the iPhone 5 battery (held a charge for 12 hours max, with little to no use).

A phone with iPhone built quality with Android OS would be perfect. (Not HTC One. Not the same)

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

My half broken 7970 that I can't return because artifacting is too random and they may not get any issues.

SteelSeries IN Ear Flux. 

That product was so hyped up, I went out to buy it, and the build quality was just terrible, the ear pieces would just keep dying everytime I RMA-ed it, the sound wasn't all that good, it would start cracking when you played certain types of music, like sharp basses for example. 

The cable soldering on them also aren't very good, especially for the price it comes in it, Sennheiser models offer better quality and sound for a cheaper price range. SteelSeries needs a lot of growing up to do for their in-ear products, the headsets they make are good, but unfortunately not for the in-ear products. 

Come and join the awesome Official LTT Star Citizen Org at LTT Conglomerat,  GTA 5 LTT Crew at LTT Conglomarate

PC Specs - 4770k - OC 4.5GHz  - GTX 780 SC - 16GB HyperX - NZXT H440 White - Corsair H100i - Corsair AX750 - Samsung Evo 250GB - 2 x PA238Q - ATH-M50 - 

I've had the HTC One for a couple months, and while I haven't dropped it from afar, the aluminum material and great build quality are better than in any other phone I've seen, including any iPhone. Plus, wasn't the 4 made of glass? Most of the time when it would be dropped it would shatter. There are videos all over YouTube.

Due to the weight design of the 4, it would most of the time fall and land on a corner instead of on a flat face. This means that the aluminium band around the outer shell can take the impact instead of something that is easily damaged like the screen or in the case of the One, the join between the ally and the screen.

Don't get me wrong, I love the aluminium backing on the phone, the solid glass front and the front facing speakers however because HTC didn't add the ally band like Apple devices have, it is incredibly easy to damage. There are no doubt similar issues with other phones. 

Don't worry - I wanted to try Android but after using a iPhone 1 and iPhone 4 for years, I couldn't go back to a plastic phone.

I have an oppo find 5 and I love it... Although it's a 2012 phone with 2012 specs. First phone with 1080p display...

Xbox360. bought it for £120 with six games. Played on it six times. Sold it for £50 two weeks later.

What a steaming pile of...

Gigabyte X58 UD7. Core i7 980X. Radeon HD7950. 12GB Corsair memory. OCZ Vertex 2.

I've had my HTC One since release, and I've thrown it off my HAF 932 on wheels with my foot when I move my chair a few times, I feel like that phone is a tank, honestly build quality doesn't matter when it comes to durability on modern smartphones, they all break if they fall from high enough and at the correct angles. 

iPad 3.

Here's why: the only reason I wanted a tablet is to just sit anywhere and watch series/ movies on it. It has a beautiful 1080p+ display, so obviously I was going to watch 1080p movies/ series on it. But noooooo, in order to watch an mkv 1080p movie, I had to first download the movie on my PC, then convert it, which takes a while (thank god for quick sync), then import it to iTunes (which should just die in a fire) then synchronize with my iPad.

While on my android phone which was almost 2 years old I could just browse thepiratebay with an app, download via a torrenting app, and watch with an mkv player app. (all free apps)

On top of that, not only does it cost more than most other tablets, you need to pay for most apps, which is just plain stupid. What makes you think that if I spend that much on your tablet, I'm going to have any money left??

In short: IOS is a stupid communist excuse for an OS and I am one unhappy customer, wishing he'd bought the nexus 7

//rant off. please don't chastise me because I am not happy with the iPad (unlike many other people)

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I am going to leave out anything that was non-functional because any company can have a lemon, and I'm going to go with the biggest difference between my expectations and what was delivered.

I used to have a set of Monsoon MM-2000 PC speakers (outstanding flat panel speakers. Wish they still made them) and I returned them to buy a set of Logitech Z-680s (dat digital sound... or so I thought) because of the great reviews from PC gamers all over the place (when I learned not to blindly trust user reviews).

They sounded so muddy and ugly and the bass was so overwhelming. I tried to love them. I tried analog. I tried digital. It didn't matter. They were awful. I returned them and went right back to the store where I got my MM-2000s (they were discontinued so there weren't many options for where to buy them) only to find out they had chucked them in the dumpster when I returned them since the manufacturer had gone out of business so they had no RMA service, and they had assumed they were broken.

I ended up spending WAY more on some Klipsch Promedia Ultra 5.1s (also amazing speakers that I wish I still had......) just so I could cleanse the Z-680 residue from my ears.

:(

I would take the Z-680s anyway for what I have now. =D

My most disappointing tech purchase would probably have to go to the Antech Kuhler H20 620 closed-loop water cooler. I had just built my first rig a few months before, and didn't know much about computer hardware. I wanted to overclock my AMD Phenom II X6 1100t (also another bad purchase, but I partially had known that) and I saw a couple reviews on YouTube, thought it would be a good cooler, and bought it. 

It turned out to be crap. I've heard mixed opinions about Antec's Kuhler line since, but the unit I got was horrible (I avoid CLC now anyway). I think with the 1100t running at stock, it maxed with prime95 at like 80 C, or something like that. I returned it almost right away, and it put a damper on my excitement to finally be able to overclock. 

I replaced it with the CM Hyper 212 EVO, which would be one of my best tech purchases. That thing had my 1100t cooled to 57 C running at 4ghz. 

I'm gonna say the amazon kindle (the 3rd generation one - no touch screen and no built in keyboard)

The thing that annoys me the most about it is that the buttons to change the page are not configurable and this small thing makes it almost unusable to me.

There are multiple ways to hold the device with your hands in reach of the next/previous page buttons on either side of the device but the way they come by default makes it only possible to use 2 to comfortably change page with the hand you're holding it with.

With your left by the bottom. or with your right by the bottom.

This small thing has made me hate the kindle so much.

I'd like to hold it with 2 hands and have the large buttons control next/previous or by the top and have the higher button be next/previous or hold it with one hand and have the top buttons be next and the lower buttons be previous

Due to the weight design of the 4, it would most of the time fall and land on a corner instead of on a flat face. This means that the aluminium band around the outer shell can take the impact instead of something that is easily damaged like the screen or in the case of the One, the join between the ally and the screen.

I bought an HTC One after going by Linus's recommendation, and I used to own a 4S.

Its about 4 weeks old and I'm shit scared of dropping it. I treated my 4S liked shit and it lasted for over 18 months.

CASE: BitFenix Prodigy | CPU:  i5 4570| CPU COOLER: Noctua NH-U12s | MOTHERBOARD: Asus H87-I Plus| RAM: Muskin Blackline 8GB | SSD: Samsung 830 128gb | 

SSD: Samsung 840 128gb SSD(Games) | GPU: Asus R9 270X DCUII | PSU: Seasonic 660w | MONITORS: LG 23" IPS 5ms |

iPad 3.

Here's why: the only reason I wanted a tablet is to just sit anywhere and watch series/ movies on it. It has a beautiful 1080p+ display, so obviously I was going to watch 1080p movies/ series on it. But noooooo, in order to watch an mkv 1080p movie, I had to first download the movie on my PC, then convert it, which takes a while (thank god for quick sync), then import it to iTunes (which should just die in a fire) then synchronize with my iPad.

While on my android phone which was almost 2 years old I could just browse thepiratebay with an app, download via a torrenting app, and watch with an mkv player app. (all free apps)

On top of that, not only does it cost more than most other tablets, you need to pay for most apps, which is just plain stupid. What makes you think that if I spend that much on your tablet, I'm going to have any money left??

In short: IOS is a stupid communist excuse for an OS and I am one unhappy customer, wishing he'd bought the nexus 7

//rant off. please don't chastise me because I am not happy with the iPad (unlike many other people)

I'm sorry to hear that however if you had done your research before purchasing, you would have realised that iOS isn't a single device OS - it's centred around iTunes which can then distribute the content throughout other connected devices like Apple TV, other installs of iTunes and other iOS devices.

I bought an HTC One after going by Linus's recommendation, and I used to own a 4S.

Its about 4 weeks old and I'm shit scared of dropping it. I treated my 4S liked shit and it lasted for over 18 months.

I have seen the iPhone 4 (s) get cracked soooooo many times, and it really is less durable than the HTC One, look up some drop tests on youtube

Cooler Master 690 II Advanced - I5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz - Geil Enhance Plus 1750Mhz 8Gb - ASUS ENGTX 570 DCUII - MSI Z68aGD65 - Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B - Samsung 830 128gb and Crucial m4 128gb - much other stuff not worth mentioning

I purchased an ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN 3 motherboard back when I rebuilt my PC. The thing was a trashcan motherboard, defects, USB ports going dead, etc.. two RMAs, finally just got a different model and threw it out, but it was annoying.

Second to that was a Sony DVD drive, if it sped up to read anything it would just scratch the disk up and make some whinning sounds. Very effective retractable drink holder.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

Logitech wireless Solar K750. dat terrible battery

Fractal R4 / intel i7 4770k / Gigabyte Z87X-OC / Noctua NH-C14 / Corsair AX850 PSU / Sapphire 7950 OC 3GB / 4x4GB Corsair dominatior platinum / 3TB and 2TB seagate barracuda HHD / 2x Samsung Evo 250GB

msi z871 it is a really entry level mitx z87 board that has only 1 additional fan header i wish i would of spent 30$ more on the asus mitx board

When I was building my rig, I decided that I want it to have an awesome cooler. So I did some research from all the coolers I could buy and decided on a Spire TherMax Eclipse II.

Now, when I received it I was quite excited to put it on, test it and do some overclocking - I didn't get a 955 Black edition for nothing :P 

But immediately there were problems. The documentation (mounting guide) was terrible. I saw some bad instructions, but this one topped it. Despite that I tried mounting it with some logic and "general skill" that I had. Didn't work. I just had to return it after 2 hours of trying and failing.

TLDR: The mounting mechanism on the Spire TherMax Eclipse II for AMD platforms is terrible, as is their user guide

Asrock 890GX Extreme 3 - AMD Phenom II X4 955 @3.50GHz - Arctic Cooling Freezer XTREME Rev.2 - 4GB Kingston HyperX - AMD Radeon HD7850 - Kingston V300 240GB - Samsung Spinpoint F3 1TB - Chieftec APS-750 - Cooler Master HAF912 PLUS

osu! profile

I'm sorry to hear that however if you had done your research before purchasing, you would have realised that iOS isn't a single device OS - it's centred around iTunes which can then distribute the content throughout other connected devices like Apple TV, other installs of iTunes and other iOS devices.

Yeah I know, I was influenced by the hype to be honest, at that moment I wasn't as tech-savvy as I was right now. I didn't even know of the existence of the Nexus 7, I only tried some other tablets in some shops, but those were horrible. (I'm talking tegra 2 + android 3). If only the LTT forum existed back then!

So yeah, the good thing about it is, I haven't scratched it or something, and it's an iPad with retina, so selling it will probably be easy :)

I was one the people that was fooled into the Beats By Dre phenomenon, I'm usually not too careful with my headphones either way, nonetheless they shouldn't of broke within a week..

Well....nothing I suppose.

Maybe a HDD which was DOA but that's it...

Or my PS3 perhaps, I couldn't play online for 3 weeks because sony got hacked.

Sold my PS3 in those 3 weeks because it was getting ridiculous.

A broccoli cutter. LOL kidding. probably the iphone 4s!

Hey now, did you ask @Lolbroccoli if he's OK with that? It might hurt, you should ask first.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | REDACTED - 50GB US + CAN Data for $34/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)