Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My most disappointing tech purchase would probably have to go to the Antech Kuhler H20 620 closed-loop water cooler. I had just built my first rig a few months before, and didn't know much about computer hardware. I wanted to overclock my AMD Phenom II X6 1100t (also another bad purchase, but I partially had known that) and I saw a couple reviews on YouTube, thought it would be a good cooler, and bought it. 

It turned out to be crap. I've heard mixed opinions about Antec's Kuhler line since, but the unit I got was horrible (I avoid CLC now anyway). I think with the 1100t running at stock, it maxed with prime95 at like 80 C, or something like that. I returned it almost right away, and it put a damper on my excitement to finally be able to overclock. 

I replaced it with the CM Hyper 212 EVO, which would be one of my best tech purchases. That thing had my 1100t cooled to 57 C running at 4ghz. 

my antec kuhler 620 is running like a champ, i have a daily overclock of 4.7ghz on an i5-3570k, i did have to lap it though, my high temps are high but i never stress out the cpu enough to get it hot

Case: Cubitek MiniCube CPU: i5-3570k @ 4.7GHz GPU: Asus GTX 670 DirectCUII MoBo: Asus P8Z77-i Deluxe/WD RAM: G.Skill Sniper 2133MHz

SSD: Sandisk Extreme 120GB HDD: WD Black 2TB AIO Water Cooler: Antec Kuhler 620 Fans: Corsair SP120 Thermal Paste: MX4

Headphones: Grado SR-80i Keyboard: Corsair K65 Mouse: Mionix Naos 8200 Monitor: Asus MX279H Phone: HTC One Tablet: Nexus 7 (2013)

For me it would have to be purchasing a pre-built computer back when I did not have much knowledge on how to build my own, mind you this back in 2008 when things were not yet as easy as they are now. Everytime I remember I purchased a pre-built computer from Fry's Electronics for over 1,000 USD, I still think what I could have build for that price.

Edited by Kangoshi5389

If games count then Duke Nukem Forever: Balls of Steel Edition

Last time I preorder a game...

If that doesn't count then I'd have to say some crappy controller I bought to play emulators with. Turns out that the second analog joystick is actually the same as pressing the four buttons on the right side (it looks like a PS3 controller). The D-pad is one of the worst I've ever used as well. I ended up just getting a wired Xbox 360 controller (which is still crap because of the God awful D-pad, but still better than whatever crap I bought first).

The D-pad on the Xbox One controller looks really good and if it is, then I'll get it for emulators as soon as it's compatible with Windows.

2. HP G62 laptop.Replaced the battery around 4 times and still it dosent last for more than 45s, hinges broken, webcam not working , mic not working , overheats like crazy

Worst notebook ever. Battery lasts me 30 minutes if im lucky. Hinges are broken for me as well. And it also overheats like crazy for me.

Cpu: Intel core i5 4570 gpu: gtx 770 case: cm storm enforcer psu: xfx pro 550w motherboard: asus b85m-g ssd: samsung 120gb hdd: wd caviar blue 1tb ram: kingston hyperx blu 8gb 1600mhz mouse: razer deathadder monitor: some decent samsung 19" keyboard: CM Storm TK Blue

My Xbox 360.Wasted at least $500 for something I rarely used.

I bought a transformers soundwave mp3 player the last day at a convention. After toying with it once I got home it ended up doing nothing but turning on and I could do nothing about returning it really. About a year later I found out like a huge % were bunk just like mine.

Edit: It also used miniSD which you imagine how easy that was to track down even then.

Windows Vista

I forgot that one, +1.

Basicly anything with price 1/3 of mainstream makers price. Including headsets, earphones and mp3 player. Last one cost 35€ and was rubbish. Radio didn't work, sound quality was worst than anything I've ever heard.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Dell S2740l 27 inch IPS panel with a GLOSSY finish. It was so glossy that is was hurting my eyes even under low light conditions.

There's a time and place for everything! But not now. - Professor Oak

i7 2600K 4.3GHz  -  GTX 1060 3GB  - ASUS P8Z68-V - 16GB DDR3-1600 CL9 - EIZO 1080p 120Hz VA

Intel Skulltrail: 2x Core 2 Quad QX9775 - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-800 CL5 Quad Channel

EVGA SR-2 Classified - 2x Xeon X5675 4.2GHz - 24GB DDR3-1830 C10 Triple Channel

Intel Skulltrail #2: 2x Xeon E5472  - Intel D5400XS - 16GB FB DDR2-667 CL5 Quad Channel

Windows Vista

maybe prior to the first service pack and I said maybe. That was totally over blown and most of the initial problem wernt microsofts fault. Give me some good reason and evidence as to why it was so bad because Win7 and 8 are both based off of it anf it pioneered may things that you all probably take for granted in windows now. I hate people bring this up just because its the mainstream general consensus.

Sorry for the rant I find it nearly as stupid as the hating on Win8 and it infuriates me.

Everything I guess, soon or later everything get's disappointing :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Dell S2740l 27 inch IPS panel with a GLOSSY finish. It was so glossy that is was hurting my eyes even under low light conditions.

it is technically better got the color but i know what you mean but your going to have to get used to glossy because we cant make matt displays with significantly more dense ppi because the size of the pixel is approaching the size of the particles cause it to be matt.

Logitech G19 keyboard... types great but features you buy it for suck as hard as they can...

So many things I could write here... things like this.

Wii.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

1.Samsung galaxy ace. Worst phone EVER. Pathetic battery life, Pathetic build nd TERRIBLE performance.

2. HP G62 laptop.Replaced the battery around 4 times and still it dosent last for more than 45s, hinges broken, webcam not working , mic not working , overheats like crazy

3 Skullcandy hesh 2.0 kevin durrant headphones. Decent sound for 50$ BUT broke in about 6 months

4 Gigabyte Luxo m1004 case . It was the only case in my budget for 50$ in my country and cable management was SO PATHETIC.

+1 on the Ace. I returned that phone and got an ATRIX II. Much better.

The Nokia E5-00 is pretty crap, too. I think it ran an ARM Potato processor.

3700X, GTX1060, 64GB HyperX 3000, B450 DS3H, 500GB SN750, TT Core G3, PreSonus Audiobox USB96

The OCZ Synapse, it was pretty good at the time, and my PC was much faster, it is a shame that is a bit unreliable, since I used at my working pc I had to unninstall it

Black and Decker cordless screwdriver, charged it once and it wouldnt fully charge after that.

Current Rig as of 7/30/13

A10-6800k, Asrock Extreme 6, 16GB Kingston Hyper X 2133Mhz RAM, Asus 2GB 7770, OCZ vertex 4 128GB SSD, 2TB Barracuda HDD, Rosewill Hive 750 watt supply, and CM Storm Trooper case.

MW2 followed by MW3, But MW3 was worst of the two...

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

a couple of steam games i bought but don't play. im pretty sure everyone has those.

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

Probably $50 Skullcandy headphones... Not the best sound. I don't really buy anything that is crap. 

| i5-4670k @ 4.2Ghz | Corsair H100i | Gigabyte Z87X-UD4H | Corsair Vengeance Pro 8GB | ASUS Geforce GTX 770 |

| Samsung 840 Pro 128GB | WD Black 1TB | Corsair AX760 | Fractal Design Define R4 Black w/ Window | Corsair AF140 x2 |

| Windows 8.1 | ASUS 23" 1080p monitor | CM Storm Quickfire Stealth- MX Blue | Logitech G9x | Logitech G930 |

A hp Ultrabook overheats on me damn it  :angry:

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Psyko audio 5.1 cans. Distortionfest combined with looking like an amusement ride.

Alienware M11x, the damn hinge broke the week after the warranty expired. The performance was shit so i just ripped the damn thing in half. Also bought a razer lycosa that was crap.

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

Black and Decker cordless screwdriver, charged it once and it wouldnt fully charge after that.

probably overcharged the piece of junk since it cant stop the charge itself

Acer Aspire 8943G

Exactly after the 1yr warranty ended, severe overheating issues, causing a damaged keyboard and monitor cable.  Had to tear the thing apart 3 times to repaste and mod to get it working again (Its my most powerful computer still).  currently sitting completely exposed ontop of my printer atm.   See sig for specs

-Edit- Also lost a hard drive to the heat during initial fixing. It died the day after i managed to clone it.

i7-720qm 1.6GHz | Acer Aspire 8943G motherboard (Al ram heatsink'd heatpipes)  | 16GB Kingston 1066 SODIMM | Radeon Mobility HD5850 1GB GDDR3 | 750GB WD 7200RPM HDD 

"Sitting exposed on top of my printer" case (insane airflow)

Alienware M11x, the damn hinge broke the week after the warranty expired. The performance was shit so i just ripped the damn thing in half. Also bought a razer lycosa that was crap.

Hate to burst your bubble but dell was subject to a lawsuit that stated they had to replace the hinges even out of warranty due to the lawsuit. The reps will fight you but as soon as you mention that they have no choice but to accept a return.

I had to do this with a friends M11x and read the lawsuit over the phone for them to finally cave.