Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My biggest mistake was walking on carpet with a brand new motherboard in hand.

Probably my pc case or mobo. My case has a 1 time pci covers which kinda irritates me. And on my mobo I only have 1 pci slot so it makes sli/ crossfire not an option </3

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

I bought a pre-built.... with windows vista on it.

My Rig - Intel I7-5820k@ 4ghz| Rampage V Extreme| 4x4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4|RTX 2060 SUPER| Corsair 650D| Corsair HX750| 2TB Samsung 850 EVO| H100i| 3x SF-120's| 1x 240 cooler master Red LED Front intake

Everything I say defaults to include /s

buying a graphics card with no external power connector slots. No overclock for meh.

Buying the peripherals first before buying the case, which resulted to a lower-end pc :/

i5 4690k @ 3.5Ghz | Stock Cooler :/ | ECS Gank Machine Z87H3-A2X EXTREME | Gskill RipjawsX 8GB 1600Mhz | MSI GTX 960 100th ME 2GB | Samsung 840 Evo 120GB | 1TB WD Caviar Blue | Seasonic m12ii evo 750W | Razer Modded Phantom 410

I tried to fix a user created rattle on my PC and ended up causing the side panel to no longer fit. 

What do they know of England, who only England know?

"Well that's what I always said I wanted to be remembered for, for being honest. Nothing else is worth a damn"

I bought a 700 euro laptop for gaming instead of a 700 euro PC.

#itsaidnvidiasoithadtobegood

Upgraded from a 6750 to a 7750 once. Then I bought a second 7750 and it didn't work in crossfire for whatever reason. (Yes, it was supported by my motherboard. Countless numbers of people asked me that.) I sold them and bought a 650ti, pretty good card. (Now have dual 270s which is awesome.)

I don't even know how, but I bent some of the motherboard CPU pins on the Pentium D board and CPU I was given years ago. It was my first experience with Intel stock coolers and that kind of motherboard side CPU pins. I also regret selling/getting rid of a few laptops I used to have. (My PI Satellite Pro, my PII Inspiron 3500, my P4 Presario R3000, etc.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

Biggest mistake is in my current system but it doesn't affect me too much. I've got 4 different branded ram sticks in my PC, 2 x 2gb and 2 x 1gb,so a total of 6GB.

Ive also go one of the most unbalanced PCs but no experiences that much bottleneck, a 4.6ghz G3258 and a GTX 970.

My build sounds like a mess, but it's pretty damn powerful.

CPU - Intel Core i5 10600K @ 5GHz @ 1.35v + EK Custom Loop (Evo Supremacy Block, 240mm Copper Radiator, Res/Pump Combo, Mayhem Soft Tubing and Fluid) - GPU - Gigabyte G1 GeForce GTX 1070 - RAM - 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200MHz - Mobo - Asus Z490-A Prime - SSD - Samsung 850 120GB - HDD - 2TB WD Black - PSU - EVGA G2 650W Gold - Case - Corsair 680X RGB White with 6 x Corsair LL120 Fans. 

Picture of my System - https://imgur.com/gallery/q27dw2g

Generally, early adoption for pretty much any new tech (ATA 66, first gen SSD, etc)

Installing Windows ME.  That was a tremendous waste of time and the install's lifespan was very very short.

I forgot to plug Power connectors to the Video Card, and I was being too rough putting RAM into the motherboard : ( It was my friend computer...

SHAMEFUL DISPRAY

When I was younger I got into PC Gaming, decided to work hard and make some money from parents, this was like 2007 or before if I remember correctly, bought an nVidea graphics card, installed it into the PCI-e slot, then I thought I was set, didn't realise until a few years later i should have plugged the power cables into the card, that's right, graphics card in but no power, also kept the VGA cable in I/O from motherboard :/ I was not a smart child.

Edit - Also just went out to a PC expo, bought a new motherboard, didn't know what socket though, just bought it cause I thought it would make gaming better, around the same time as graphics card incident, had to return mobo because I told the guy it wouldn't and was broken, no wonder, it didn't have the same socket.

I bought a prebuilt system with an FX-6100 and a GTX 560Ti. GPU had a reference cooler and the PSU died right after the 2 year warranty expired. *cringe*

Another worthy mention would be ever having considered watercooling, now I can't think of anything else until I get it done. And it's still 3-4 months from happening! D:

The biggest mistake that I ever made is kind of embarrassing... I was cleaning my PC and I took off the stock cpu cooler (lol) to clean it. Well, it seems that when I went back to put it on I didn't make full contact onto the CPU so it was heating up really bad and it shutdown frequently. I took it into my local computer repair shop and they found nothing wrong with the software on the computer but when they saw the CPU cooler they applied new thermal paste and put the cooler back on. All in all I paid $40 for someone else to push in my cpu cooler lol. 

CPU: Intel i7 4790k  Motherboard: MSI Z97S Sli Krait Edition  RAM: 16GB Kingston Hyperx Fury (black)  GPU: Gigabyte Geforce GTX970  
Case: Coolermaster Mastercase Pro 5  Storage: 1TB WD 120GB Samsung OSD  PSU: Corsair RM750  Monitor: Acer 23"  
KeyboardCM Storm Quickfire TK Cherry MX Blue  OS: Windows 10     Working on hardline watercooling!  :D

Isn't really a huge 'mistake' but when i built my current system I made sure evrything wokred outside the case, and then put it in the case. I went to go press the power button for the first time and the fans started up for a second then shut down. It took me the next 20 minutes to figure out I forgot to plug in the power connector for the cpu, I was scurred.

My Main PC:

CPUi5 3570k CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper T4 Motherboard: Asus p8z77-v pro  RAM: Crucial Balistic 2x4gb  GPU: Two PNY GTX 680's in SLI Case: Some rando Antec one  PSU: Thermaltake 1000w  Display: HP Elite Display 321i 23''  Storage: Samsung 840 Evo 128gb, Seagate Barracuda 1tb

Making a live USB of Windows 10 build 9841 on a 13 year old hard drive. Gave me the click of death a week later.

"If you're going to do something, do it to inspire others." -Skora

Worst  I ever purchased was ANYTHING made from EVGA.

Gonna cuffem and stuffem. QUE QUE QUE. I love it I love it. :P

i7 4790K, Asus Z97 Sabertooth S, Crutial M.2 120gig, 32 Gig Corsair Dominators, Corsair h100i, Seagate ST750XL, 2 X MSI R9 290X Lightning's, Corsair air 540 

• Bought a Razer membrane keyboard.
  • Razer Abyssus
  • Bought a fake crappy PSU, fried 2 GPU (it was HIS) and i thought they had terrible quality control.

When I first built a computer many years ago, I didn't install motherboard standoffs. I couldn't figure out why the computer wouldn't turn on, and why it was just making a ticking sound (The sound of a spark, think of the sound a gas stove top makes when you try to light it). I was super stressed because it wasn't my computer, it was a build for someone else. Thankfully I took it all out, installed the standoffs and everything was fine. PHEW!

CPU i5 4430 3Ghz | Ram: 16GB DDR3 1600 | GPU: GTX 650 Ti 1GB | Mobo: H87N-Wifi | Case: White Bitfenix Prodigy | Boot Drive: 120GB 840 Evo (Mac OS X) 120gb OCZ Vertex 3 (Windows) | Games Drive: 640GB WD Green | OS: Windows 8 & OS X 10.9.1

I love all technology. The perfection of macs for my designer side, and the hardware and fun of tinkering on the of the pc side. We can have it all, just not at the same time.

Mine would be a few years ago resting a bag of chocolates on top of my screen (wall mounted at the time), then watching them fall off and all over my keyboard, i never managed to get all the flakes of chocolate out and ended having to buy a new keyboard when it solidified. Sad times, very sad times. Im sure it could have been worse though...

When I got gta5 (Xbox 360) I installed it to a USB hard drive. A old USB hard drive. So I beat the game and I came down the next day the hard drive was dead.

Brony for LIFE!!!

/)^3^(\ RD FTW
Daily carry: HTC one M8, pebbe steel PBD, nexus 7 2013