Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

It wasn't really my first build, but when I moved my system over to a Bitfenix Prodigy I installed my PSU the wrong way up so the fan was pressed right against the bottom of the motherboard tray instead of towards the vent... I didn't notice for a good 30mins after I booted. Bloody lucky nothing was damaged.  

Back in the days, you had to use some ancient artifacts called "jumpers",

if you didn't place them correctly you couldn't use your CD-ROM or your hard drive if you had them in your only IDE cable.

Good times.

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

Bought a V1200 because i thought that my R9 290 will consume 600W and I'm planning to go crossfire and thought it will be times 2. Yeah! Beginner's ignorance.

I formatted the wrong drive once. I knew the second I did it and wanted to cry. I give all my drives unique names now
Have also dropped a hard drive that I hadn't yet retrieved all the data from yet. I had copied the images off it so that wasn't so bad

CPU Intel i7 3770K | Motherboard ASUS Z77 Sabertooth | RAM G.Skill Ripjaws Z 16GB(4x 4GB) | GPU ASUS GeForce GTX 680 DirectCU II TOP | Case Thermaltake Overseer | Storage Samsung SSD 500GB 850EVO, WD Caviar Black 1TB | PSU Cooler Master Silent Pro M2 Series 1000W | Display(s) ASUS PB278Q 27", 2x Samsung LS22C45KBW 22" | Cooling Corsair Hydro Series H75 | Keyboard Razer Lycosa | Mouse Razer Lachesis | Sound Dell speakers a525 2.1, Razer Kraken 7.1 | Operating System Windows 7 Professional

Getting an FX-8350 instead of an i5-3570K

If I got the latter I wouldn't have needed to upgrade to my current cpu ;-;

// irenebb-pc v5 // [] Intel i5-9400F [] Radeon VII Lisa Su Edition [] 24GB Crucial Ballistix [] Acer ED323QUR (1440p/144hz) []

Bought a Saitek x52 Pro thinking I'd use it for flight sims.... used it about 3 times, and then never touched it again for a year before I sold it...

Hmmm.

• I bought the HAF X instead of the Shinobi. (which I sold my Xbox so I could afford ;_ ;)
  • I bought the Bitfenix Shadow instead of the Shinobi.
  • I bought a RAT 7. Was fucked right out of the box.
  • I bought the Steelseries Sensei instead of the Raw.

Upgrading to a GTX680 and thinking my crappy unbranded 400w PSU would be fine.

It wasn't....

Cpu : AMD Ryzen 3 1200 (3.8Ghz), Motherboard : Gigabyte AB350 Gaming 3 - RAM : 8GB DDR4 2933 Team (Vulkan) memory, GPU : MSI GTX 980 4GB Case : Antec P50, Storage : 120GB Samsung SSD, 3TB WD Blue, PSU : 530w Thermaltake SPS-530MPC, Cooling : Artic freezer Pro 7, OS : Windows 10. 

(if i didnt post in this topic)

Seriously predict my response..

Buying a CX750, it blowing up and buying a CX750M as a replacement....which then died and nearly took a lot of my components with it too, now i forever cringe when i see a CX PSU in anyones build. im the resident CX hater now :D.

But apart from a predictable response i can mention.

1 Buying a Celeron Single core 3.06ghz PC With a 80GB HDD and 1GB RAM and a low brand PSU and thinking it'll be my "recording and editing workstation, while playing games" (i was younger back then lol)

2 Trying to install a graphics card with the Computer turned on, got a big bolt of electricity fly at me from the PSU or the graphics card (it was a HD 3450 i think)

3 I ran my old 3770K and GTX 550Ti on a 750W Alpine PSU (20 Pound PSU with only one 6 Pin connector for a graphics card)

I could add more if i remember any othersz.

Hey bro i like yo *vomits on you*

SpOOkY  - Intel Core i7 4820K - Sapphire Radeon HD 7970GHZ Toxic Edition 6GB - 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz - Gigabyte X79-UD3 - EVGA Supernova G2 850W

My GrApHiCs DeSiGn TeAcHeR Is GoInG To bE sO MaD

I managed to take apart my first laptop without remembering to ground myself. Most of the components made it, but the hard drive was dead after that. 

Bought a M-atx motherboard and put it in an ATX case with a side pane window (Corsair Spec-01{it's awesome}). Well, at least I have pleant of room for upgrades (not. I have only 1 PCI-E 1x Slot) LOL.

“When life gives you lemons, don’t make lemonade. Make life take the lemons back! Get mad! I don’t want your damn lemons, what the hell am I supposed to do with these? Demand to see life’s manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I’m the man who’s gonna burn your house down! With the lemons! I’m gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that burns your house down!”

- Cave Johnson, founder and CEO of Aperture Science, in Portal 2

My motherboard doesn't support over clocking. :(

Putting a  h100i in a Fractal design r4

My poor CPU Cable..  

Forgot to remove the protective plastic under the cooler. Smelled funny right after. *facepalm*

Flashing uefi during thunder. Electric blackout then killed the bios. Had to buy a replacementchip from ebay. *facepalm*

My tumbledryer has eaten several usb sticks  <_<

I drunk milk while gaming. The glass was full about 2-3 dcl and it was standing between my mouse and the keyboard. When I wanted to say something in the chat, I reached with my hand from the mouse to the enter and knocked the glass spilling all of its content all over my Razer DeathStalker. After that I didn't really know what to do, so If I would have washed the keyboard immediately I might, just might be able to save it (but probably not) so then, of course the membrane died and about 10 keys didn't work. So now it's sitting in its box and I have to get it apart and sell it for parts on Ebay one of these days. Then again, this was a great "excuse" to upgrade to a BlackWidow Ultimate 2014, which is what I am running now.

Also one more:

I burned an ISO to a USB, only realizing after, that the driver is no longer useful. It was a shitty 4gb drive, so not really that big of a deal, but I only have a few and none are really good. But I'm getting a Corsair Slider USB 3.0 64gb soon, so... not really that sad.

I mean, after all, sacrifices must be made.

Say "ill just get this part for now, and upgrade next month". You never upgrade next month.

Disconnected my sata cord by accident while rerouting cords and thought the harddrive was broken. And getting a gpu with no power connection. And hitting my case a couple of times

Went to go install the Corsair H100i All in One cooler and I was new to removing heatsinks. I ended up tearing out my AMD 6350 and ripping out about 10 pins because I pulled the stock cooler off too hard. :/ Kinda sucked but now I'm running an 8350!

I gave up the desktop a number of years back and spent all my money on the best Laptop I could afford at the time (an Acer Aspire series)... After using a Desktop again, and going back to the desktop experience I realized what a mistake I had made to give it up for only a laptop.

Hmm... biggest mistake. When I first got into repairing PCs, the fan in my laptop died. So I bought a new one, put it in. But I forgot to get some new thermalpaste. So I thought Oh the thermalpaste is pretty new, I will just smooth it abit and put it back together and it should be fine. Used it for a few months, seemed to run fine. But...... it wasn't. I continued to use it, it overheated a few times and finally it just shutdown and never turned back on. I took it apart, and there was like no thermalpaste on the actual die, the little plastic washers had melted and malformed. It was just bad....

Is it bad that my dream setup only costs a few thousand not counting the obutto?

CPU: FX-8320

Motherboard: asrock 970Pro3 r2.0

Memory: Team Zeus Blue 8GB DDR3-1600 Memory 

Video Card: Sapphire Radeon R9 280 3GB DUAL-X Video Card 

Case: Deepcool TESSERACT BF ATX Mid Tower Case  

Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Certified ATX Power Supply  

SSD: MX100 128GB

HDD: WD 2TB black edition

I got a lenovo U530 touch for $1000 to play Battlefield 4 with a 730m, I used a desktop fan (6inches diameter) to cool the damn thing, 6 months later the graphics card, CPU, and HDD all failed, lenovo gave me a full refund though  :) so its all good.

but I was an idiot for buying a "gaming pc" from Bestbuy

The best when i was like 14, my first pc, i saw it flying off the window of 2 store building just weeks after,, because of staying late at night, which was a condition not to do.

Got an fx-4300 when a 6300 was a few bucks more T^T

Spoiler

Gaijin-Oni: 

• CPU
    Ryzen 7 5800x
  • Motherboard
    MSI MPG B550 GAMING PLUS
  • RAM
    Corsair 4x8GB 3200MHz Vengeance RGB Pro
  • GPU
    RX 7900 XT
  • Case
    Cooler Master Masterbox 5
  • Storage
    1TB WD BLACK SN850 NVME
    1x 8TB Seagate Drives (Shucked)
    2x 1TB HP SSD's
  • PSU
    EVGA 1000w PSU
  • Display(s)
    Viotek 1440p 144hz 27in
    LG 4K 32in
    Acer 1080p 27in
  • Cooling
    Corsair H100i Capellix
  • Keyboard
    Red Dragon K552 Modded
  • Mouse
    Corsair M65 Elite
  • Sound
    SoundBlaster Pro Audigy (Sennheiser HDXX's)
  • Operating System
    Windows 11 64-bit