Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My Phantom 530. It is a good case (on paper) and looks great, but it is so cheaply made. The front and top pieces almost break (some pegs have broken) when taking them off.

Probably replace it eventually

EVE (My Gaming Build)

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VII Ranger - CPU: Intel i5 4690k @ Stock Speeds - Cooling: Phanteks TC-12DX - PSU: Corsair RM750 - GPU: MSI GTX 1070 - Storage: 1x 120gb Samsung 830 Evo SSD (OS Drive) | 1x 120gb Hyperx 3k SSD (Audio Editing) | 1x 480gb Sandisk Ultra II SSD (Games) | 1x 1TB Hard Drive (Mass Storage) - Case: NZXT Phantom 530 - Misc: NZXT Hue RGB LED and controller

That's why I love my motherboard!

Micro ATX and it support SLI 16x and 8x :D

And it was only £50-60

p67 wasn't like that unfortunately ^^

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My one regret would be underestimating the thermals of my build. I'm running sli strix 970's with a 4790k and a h100i in a micro atx case (corsair 350d) the temperatures seemed to be alright from the benchmarks i saw but i forgot to take into account the heat of Australia. the sun here is trying to kill me, we have 30 degree (Celsius) nights in autumn (fall for you Americans). during a hot day it could be well over 40. even right now at 11pm at night its still 28 degrees. I look at the benchmarks online and they do it during the day with an ambient temperature of 19 degrees. It makes a big difference.

Getting the RM450 instead of the $20-more-expensive RM750. :(

ME, Y U NO CHECK PCPARTPICKER ONE LAST TIME B4 PURCHASE?

"We live in a society exquisitely dependent on science and technology, in which hardly anyone knows anything about science and technology." ~Carl Sagan

OnePlus One, 64GB Black, Rooted, Oxygen OS 1.0.0
Moto 360, Silver Finish with 22mm Cognac Leather Band, Pascual watchface
iPad with Retina Display (3rd Generation), 16GB, Black, Wifi Only

CPU: Intel i5-4690K CPU Cooler: Stock Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97N WIFI Mini ITX RAM: Kingston Savage 8GB 1866MHz SSD: Sandisk Ultra Plus 256GB HDD: WD Caviar Blue 1TB 7200RPM Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Black GPU: Intel HD Graphics 4600 PSU: Corsair RM450 OS:
Windows 7 Ultimate Windows 8.1 Pro for Students Monitor: Acer K242HL Bhid 1080p 24" Monitor Keyboard: Corsair Vengeance K70 Cherry MX Blue Mouse: Logitech T650

I'd say making the giant interior of my case as small as a form factor. Going to change that soon however.

I bought an MSI TC-128. The worst MSI product in the history of mankind.

I'd say the time I had to reinstall windows on my Pentium I, I only had a 4GB HD, with two partitions, everything went ok until I realized I didn't back up my files wich were a lot of word documents, back then I had no way to get may hands on recovery software.

I somehow managed to cut a molex cable with my scissors when I tried to cut some plastic ties (I bought and SSD and I wanted to rearrange the wiring). So... long story short, I ended up upgrading my PSU and throwing the old one in the bin.

Got coffee off my laptop while watching =3, I turned it on and off praying that'll work.. no luck.

The time you enjoy wasting, is not wasted time. 

Killing my Microsoft Ergonomic 4000 keyboard with coffee. Although I got the thing free was annoying because, I loved that keyboard soo much and still don't think I've had anything better.

Desktop
i5-760: Corsair Vengeance LP 8gb Asus GTX 760 2gb

Laptop 

i5-4300u: 8GB ram, Intel HD: 128GB: 1080p Touch

Mine would be my old motherboard, case and graphics card.'

The motherboard was the shitty MSI b75ma-p45

The case was the Cooler Master Elite 430 Black Edition. This was so bad, that once that I carried it, the front fell off, and I dropped it. Happily nothing died

The graphics card wasnt so bad, but i weighted the system wrong with a 3570k and a 7850, and i only gamed on it.

The last one is my powersupply, a Corsair 750TX. My system barely uses 300 watts :(

it was an old familly computer that no one was using but I unpluged a ram stick while the pc was running

Bought the wrong processor when building my first pc and managed to bend all the pins on my motherboard, i was able to get the motherboard fixed in the end but still :(

My cpu choice when I built my first computer back in 2011. I decided to go with a PII X4 965 over a 2500k.

i5-4670K ~ RX 470 ~ Z87MX-D3H ~ MX300 525GB ~ CM Hyper 212+ ~ 12GB 1600MHz Ram ~ EarthWatts 650 ~ NZXT GAMMA ~ WD Blue 250GB

Investing in a overclockable CPU (i7-2600k) when i wasn't even going to overclock and pairing it with a ASUS 660 DCII OC...did it due to a recommendation from a friend...well i guess hindsight is 20/20...

ninja2-large.jpgI couldn't close my PC case because of this. 

i7 4790K - MSI XPower Z97 AC - 32GB DDR3-2400 Avexir Sabranco - ASUS Strix GTX 980 SLI - ASUS Xonar Essence - Phanteks Enthoo Primo - RoG Swift + Samsung 28" 4k UHD - Logitech Z906 5.1 - Custom Water Cooling Loop

Mobile: Samsung S8 Plus | Headphones: Audio Technica ATH-M50X / ASUS Strix Pro | Laptop: Alienware 17 R2

1. Not buying an SSD from the very beginning. Granted, they were a bit more expensive when I originally started my project.. but damn, do they really make all the difference. 

2. Not spending a decent amount of money on a case. Currently, I'm building out of a Corsair Carbide 200R (Previously was in an Antec P182) to which I can say : Great budget case, however, airflow is not phenomenal, and the amount of noise the case emits (even without the expansion of very many noisey parts) is pretty rough. 

3. Not buying a proper Network card. Although this may not have been a problem for many, I've been rocking a Cisco Valet USB Wireless Adapter that's just.. well, just plain ass. No good by any means. Definitely really easily replaceable.. but man, am I lazy some days. 

ive got a good one,

I undervolted my laptop and while not knowing what i was doing i sorta blew up my power supply

my room got filled with black smoke and we had to evacuate the house due to it probably being toxic. :P

It sure was a day to remember ^^.

I was cleaning my display with window cleaner, and my open case was beside the display. As I sprayed my display some of the window cleaner landed on my motherboard, it was instant death

I've regretted a few purchases.  I regret buying a Lenovo Y500.  I bought it because it had dual graphics, a 1080p LCD, an SSD, and 16GB RAM for under $1k.  The thing gets so incredibly hot, it's impossible to game on.  I can't even rest my fingers on the keyboard, my fingers burn.   Since I can't use it for gaming, the bulkiness I would have tolerated annoys me.  The keys on the keyboard also wear quickly.  

I also regret giving Swiftech my business.  I should have gone with a different cooler for my new build.  It's going to be the one thing in my build that shames me.

Aside from that, things I've done? Used a 2 wire molex extension that used red/black for 12v rather than yellow/black.  I'd forgotten and plugged in 120 5V RGB LED's, instantly killing them all.  That was $75 in LED's down the drain in a fraction of a second. 

I plugged a PSU to the wall using the wrong cable and it exploded, WORST. SMELL. EVER. 

Wanna know something weird? I heard a noise in my kitchen and went to see what it was, the PSU exploded just as I exited the room... creepy.

Corsair Vengeance C70 | ASRock Z77 Extreme9 | i7-3770K @ 4.4Ghz | 1x GTX Titan (Yes, the OG one) | 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1600Mhz
2x Intel 530 SSD | 2x WD Black 2TB HDD | 1x Corsair H100i (CPU) | 1x Corsair H60 (GPU) | 2x LG 1080p 24inch IPS | 1x ASUS 1080p 27inch IPS
Until a "4K 120Hz OLED HDR GSYNC 30inch (minimum)" Monitor shows up for less than 2 grand I ain't upgrading shit! >:( - Me, 2016.