Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

when I was doing my first build I put the RAM in backwards and broke the PCB on the RAM stick.

How hard did you push it holy shit.

I bought an Alienware x51 R2. Blew $1200 on the system 2 1/2 years ago. Only if I knew to just build one at the time...

I bought an OCZ RevoDrive 3 X2. It stopped working after 1 month and OCZ refused to replace it.

Ocz suck my SSD is like 2 years old and it's read write is already down to 100-ish(same as my HDD) from like 500 when it was new.

I had my system in pieces, cleaning out dust and the like, and I had taken off my CPU heatsink to clean around the socket.

Everything was unplugged except the fans, which I had just reinstalled, so I jumped the power supply to make sure they were all getting power.

Then I smelled something burning. Needless to say I shut off the power REAL QUICK.

Turns out I had left the 4-pin CPU power connector plugged in and my naked CPU was trying it's best to start on fire.

Whoops.

The CPU survived and I can scarcely believe it. Shoutout to the AMD Phenom ii 955.

Buying a shitload of hard drives in bulk (for my work) because they ship them to you right off the line, so when one goes bad you can assume that the 5 before and 5 after went bad also, and they did.

As the title says, What has been your biggest mistakes you've made during your first build?

Broke some pin 

Current Build + Setup

AMD Ryzen 7 5700X | GIGABYTE B550 Aorus Pro v2 | CORSAIR Dominator Platinum 16gb 3600Mhz | GIGABYTE RTX 3070 AORUS MASTER OC 8 GB | NZXT H510 Elite | 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM | ADATA XPG GAMMIX S7 512GB M.2-2280 NVME | Corsair RM850 80+ Gold Modular PSU | NZXT Kraken X63 | Harman Kardon Soundstick 4 | Koorui 27E1Q

Came all over my computer when it booted up for the first time.

^^ Best answer. Haha.

Spoiler

[CPU] i5-4690K @ 4.5GHz with NZXT Kraken X61 [MOBO] Asus Z97-AR [Memory] HyperX Fury 32GB DDR3-1600 [Storage] Samsung 840 EVO 500GB & WD 1TB Black & Hitachi 1TB [GPU] Gigabyte GTX 1080 8GB Xtreme Gaming [Case] Corsair Air 540 [PSU] Cooler Master V1000 [Case Fan] Corsair SP140 LED Fan x 3 & SP120 LED Fan x 3 [Display] Main: Philips 31.5" FULL HD IPS | Side: Philips 28" 4K UHD [Keyboard] Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Stealth Edition [Mouse] Razer Ouroboros [Mouse Pad] Razer Firefly [Sound] BOSE Companion 5 Multimedia Speaker System

Came all over my computer when it booted up for the first time.

I guess you could call it a "white-themed" build now

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

remove post

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

I flipped the switch on the back of a power supply from 240 to 117 volts while it was plugged in... BANG

My biggest mistake was believing my middle school project of building a computer in a Pizza Box was going to last without fire.

Case: Corsair 750D | CPU: Intel i7 4770k | Video Card: Gigabyte WF3 780 Ti 3GB | RAM: 16gb Corsair Vengeance LP | Motherboard: MSI Z87-G45 | Hard Drives: Samsung 840 EVO 250gb SSD / 1TB WD Black / 2TB Seagate Barracuda / 2x2TB WD Green | PSU: Corsair RM750 | Cooler: Corsair h100i w/ Noctua NF-F12 x2 | DAC: O2 Amp/Dac Combo w/ RCA from Mayflower Electronics | Headphones: HiFiMAN HE-400 | Microphone/Input: AudioTechnica AT2035 w/ Scarlet 2i2 Keyboard: Ducky Shine 2 w/ Custom Keycaps | Mouse: Logitech G502 | Monitor: QNiX QX2710LED 1440p PLS & WASABI-MANGO QH275 27" 1440p S-IPS

Fixing a kids Win-Vista laptop... EVERY TIME VISTA HAS A FREAKING ISSUE, HE THINKS I DID IT.

I also charge him, because he makes me work with vista so.

Have you tried to restart it?

Buying EVGA Gpu with waterblock. Very expensive and hard to find a buyer.

Rob

I linked two computers together with an IDE cable (mobo to mobo) hopeing to double the performance in the late 90s. They never worked again.

plugged usb3 header into mobo wrong way round, broke pin...

CPU: Intel i7-4770K Overclocked to 4.5GHZ GPU: Asus GTX 970 CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i Motherboard: Gigabyte D3H-Z97 RAM: Corsair Vengeance (4x4GB) Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 700D Storage: 2 X SanDisk 240GB SSDs in RAID 0, 128GB Crucial SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD, 1TB WD External HDD OS: Windows 10 Professional

During the initial build of my current pc, I did not bother booting the pc up outside of the case to see if it would Post. 

Everything was put together and it was looking nice and shiny, so I press the power button, the fans start spinning up, nothing.

Decided to call it a day there and after hours of troubleshooting the next day, sent my motherboard out for an RMA. 

New motherboard arrives, I start building it again (everything except the motherboard and obviously cpu and ram was still in the case). Power it on, fans start spinning, and nope, nothing.

Send the motherboard out again and get a refund, buy a different motherboard. Same deal.

I even bought one of those post-diag code pci displays, and it was indicating power isue or something along those lines (this is a few years back now, so it's a bit hazy).

I start taking the entire pc apart, and hook it up outside of the case and it boots! I was very happy but confused as you can imagine.

Start plugging it back into the case... and you guessed it. A complete no-go.

In the end I was sat there for 6 months with a pc that didn't work until I figured out that the screw I used to secure the PSU to the case was too long and it was somehow triggering a reset loop or something.

I will never ever forget this as part of my troubleshooting now. 

On my very first build, I bought and used 16 gigs of ram when the cpu supports 12gigs.

Forgetting to put the IO shield on the case prior to installing the mobo.

Managed to plug the usb front port connector into the e-sata plug on the motherboard. USB is 5V eSata is 12V.... RIP, everything I plugged into that port before I realized what I had done. 

My biggest mistake was forgetting to use hose clamps on my custom loop, so a tube came off the Cpu block drenching my entire system. Also I bought a cyberpowerpc before I started building my own pc's

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX