Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

My friend decided to build his first gaming PC. I was there with him when he built it along with another friend, who helped me build mine. This friend of mine who was building his computer lets call him Max. Bought a G1.Sniper Z87 Mobo and with all his wisdom purchased an i7 4820K, I didn't pay attention to the box so I assumed he got the matching socket. At first it wouldn't fit and he was a bit suspicious so my other friend, lets call him Luke, decided to have a go at putting it in meanwhile I was sitting back watching and decided to check the box. As I realised what CPU he bought Luke called out "Did it!". Most of the pins were completely bent or snapped and would never work again. He lost $400 AUD. Max then ordered an i7 4770K 3 weeks later, only I was invited to help this time and I assembled all the parts outside the case and it posted. Max wanted put the components into the case so I let him and first he forgot the I/O shield no biggy we fixed that. Then the second time he put the Mobo in he practically dragged it across the bottom of the case. It didn't post,  I immediately suspected what was wrong ( I was right) and turns out his CPU Cooler was to tall for his case as well...

Money Max Lost: $750 AUD

$400 for i7 4820K destroyed

$225 for G1.Sniper Z87 destroyed

$125 for NH-D14 because it was cheaper to replace this rather than the case

I'm happy only I actually worked on my PC. Which worked first time no problems.

all i want is another great halo game.

I once managed to get superglue on one of the Cherry MX red switches of a Max Keyboard Nighthawk X9 keyboard (don't ask). After making my best effort to remove the glue, the switch, while loosened from the glue, no longer functioned. The entire keyboard became a $150 paperweight, but it wasn't the first keyboard I had rendered worthless. My first ever mechanical keyboard was a Razer BlackWidow Ultimate before I learnt how crappy Razer products are. I had updated the firmware on the keyboard and I did not like some of the changes Razer had made. I went to roll the firmware back and bricked the keyboard in the process. I damaged a third mechanical keyboard when I attempted to tighten what appeared to be a loose screw on the back only to discover that the screw was made of plastic, so overtightening caused the screw to snap. To my credit, it has been some time since I have harmed any innocent keyboards and I take much greater care these days.

Superglue spilt onto my htc one while I wasn't paying attention, just went and borrowed some nail varnish remover from my sister. Cotton swab + acetone = <333

Like E-Sports? Check out the E-Sports forum for competitive click click pew pew

Like Anime? Check out Heaven Society the forums local Anime club

I was only living because it was too much trouble to die.

R9 7950x | RTX4090

Using my old shitty iMac G5 and in an attempt of sorting applications in a better manner than mac OS comes in, I accidentally deleted half of my stock applications that is vital to the computer functioning. I took that piece of sh*t, sold it to my sister and got a mac mini, which was also a stupid idea because it has to be the most underpowered piece of shit in existence... After being fed up with the mac operating system, I sold my mac mini to my sister and got a core i7 2600k with a gtx 560ti and here I am.

Thats Apple for ya.

CPU: AMD Athlon X4 750K @3.4 GHz || MOBO: MSI A88XM-E35 || RAM: Patriot Viper 3 4GB 1600 MHz || GPU: MSI R7770 Radeon HD 7770 GHz Edition || Case: Sentey Optimus Extreme Division GS-6000R || Storage: SanDisk SDSSDP-128GB | 1TB WD Blue 7200rpm || PSU: Corsair CX430 80+ Bronze || Montitor: Acer G226HQLBbd Black 21.5" 1080p || Keybarod: CM Storm Devastator Blue || Mouse: CM Storm Devastator Blue || † TTCF Member †

Asking my dad to hold a screw to hold my H100i waterblock on and then having him drop in on the mobo tray

Plugging the HDMI cable into the motherboard and not the graphics card and then calling my mobo manufacturer and asking y it wasnt posting

how long ago was this?

it would be lik 4-5ys now

Hi, I guess you just read this C:

I've made couple of mistakes now.
One is, kept advising my parents to buy Packard Bell computers when I was young and I still have a bad feeling for the wasted money on replacement parts. Agh €600+ on HDD, reformatting HDD and RAM, are they so greedy?
Second is, bought a Samsung Chronos laptop which costed my about €1200 since I thought that Samsung is a quality brand and it broke after 5 months of usage. Literally in every single month there was some serious issue  :(

Third, bought Trust Tytan 2.1 speakers, I had luckily solved the ground loop issue that annoyed me more then anything else. 

Forth, gave my trusty Corsair USB to friend of mine and he broke it  :mellow:

Luckily I've got my purchase money back from Wehkamp and now I'm waiting till the summer for buying the parts  :lol:

Hopefully there will be no shenanigans around when assembling the build. :rolleyes:

Edited by Simmytu

Watch out, there might be ninjas out there  :ph34r:

Upgrading too often!

It is best to wait for a few generations.

Far away but not afk

Reinstalled Windows on my HP Labtop after COMPLETELY reformatting the harddrive. Then finding out that approx 20% of the drivers are proprietary and HP doesnt have the ones i need on their site. To this day i only have 1 usb 2.0 port out of 2 and no usb 3.0, as well as network speed is limited to approx 500KB/s. Windows is now recognized as counterfeit because the key that came with it doesnt work... 

@Grimsfire

You need to send a e-mail to them explaining the whole thing, I am sure they can help you.

Far away but not afk

@Grimsfire

You need to send a e-mail to them explaining the whole thing, I am sure they can help you.

Nah already built my main rig i use all the time. Only use the laptop for ROG connect in the 1 USB port that works anyways haha so not worth the hassle :P

When I was about 9, I got my first computer until I took it apart and ripped the CPU along with the heatsink without pulling the little lever. It was an AMD CPU so all the pins on it were bent. Here's the fun part: I jammed the CPU with all the broken pins into the socket and broke even more pins. Wasn't allowed to mess with computers for a good three or four years before I could build my current rig.

- Cole Henning -

Windows7323

When I was about 9, I got my first computer until I took it apart and ripped the CPU along with the heatsink without pulling the little lever. It was an AMD CPU so all the pins on it were bent. Here's the fun part: I jammed the CPU with all the broken pins into the socket and broke even more pins. Wasn't allowed to mess with computers for a good three or four years before I could build my current rig.

MFW

gallery_20359_532_333952.gif

work it ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ harder, make it (ง •̀_•́)ง better, do it ᕦ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕤ faster, raise ur ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ donger

ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ HARDER, BETTER, FASTER, DONGER! ᕙ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ᕗ

i once messed up a pc that had Ubuntu and window xp  by trying to re install Ubuntu on it. that caused it to no longer boot up

So here's a school story! F*ck.

Well, me and my friend Danny were messing around in the ict room sending each other emails and sh*t and he sends me an email containing: "8==D"

I clicked "Forward" and made him look at my screen where the recipient would of been the head of ict, also one of the deputies.

Anyway, I decided to write a reply saying "lol, is that the size of yours because it's tiny"

Oh. Sh*t. It was still forwarded to my ict head and I already sent.

Sh*t f*ck fuu.

He came down 15 mins later and we got f*cking bollocked.

Hey.

Here's some more:

I was installing OS X and I completely wrecked my Windows install.

I was using a tiny USB drive so I had to use a wrench to get it out since it was so small and ripped my IO shield. The USB port still works though.

I have done a few stupid things over the years, one that stands out was when I fried my 7800GT.

It was late on a cold winters night and I was about to watch a movie in bed, I had forgotten that I had unplugged the, what must have been at the time, VGA cable going to my tv. It was dark and cold and in the frantic fumbling reaching over awkwardly to the back of my PC I managed to somehow dislodge a metal PCI slot blanking plate which promptly fell on top of my 7800GT's exposed PCB while the pc was running. The card shorted and I had to go pick up a really terrible 8600GT untill I could afford a proper replacement,on the plus side the 8600GT produced lovely DX10 slide shows.... <_<

On a more recent note when I was ghetto mounting my SSD the other day I thought I had somehow fried it because after I had remounted it I could not pick it up in the bios. Checked the connections again and the sata cable was out a little bit, pushed it back in a bit more and still no action. Started to panick a bit but turns out a cable was just knocking out the sata connection everytime I closed the case back up :rolleyes:

Once i put so much therminal paste on a cpu. When i removed the cooler the cpu was stuck on the cooler. it just got riped out. but it worked fine after :P

i7-4770k,EVGA GTX 780, 16Gb Ram, Corsair H100i, Corsair 750D, Asus z87 Pro, 120Gb Samsung SSD, 3TB Western digital x2 and corsair rm1000

Once i put so much therminal paste on a cpu. When i removed the cooler the cpu was stuck on the cooler. it just got riped out. but it worked fine after :P

These are just because old thermal paste acts as glue. I've had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry old P4s off their heatsinks before.

I sliced into the chip of one of my old 8800GTSs trying to delid it. Killed the card.

One time I was really angry and my poor netbook was the only thing within reach at the table. Smashed screen and dead HDD. I want to install XP onto a flash drive or SD card and use it for something but it doesn't let me. (Something along the lines of "BIOS cannot access this device to boot" or something.)

On the note of old Geforce cards my P4 rig (I rebuilt it and it's on my desk next to me) had a 7600GS that has been to hell and back. It's never failed despite being overclocked a lot (I think one time I almost got double the VRAM clock or something.) and one time a push-pin on the heatsink came out when I was putting it back in. I didn't notice for a week that the card was severely overheating. (250+ F) Still working perfectly fine. The P4 that's currently in the rig is a 3.2GHz that has a good heatsink on it. (I've pushed it to over 1.7v and it still doesn't overheat. In order to not overheat the fan has to be on max and it sounds like a jet engine..) While I have gotten high voltages I haven't gotten over 3.7GHz. (I remember when I used this rig all the time I got the 3.0GHz CPU to 4GHz but it wasn't very stable.)

NZXT Phantom|FX-8320 @4.4GHz|Gigabyte 970A-UD3P|240GB SSD|2x 500GB HDD|16GB RAM|2x AMD MSI R9 270|2x 1080p IPS|Win 10

Dell Precision M4500 - Dell Latitude E4310 - HTC One M8

$200 Volvo 245

These are just because old thermal paste acts as glue. I've had to use a flathead screwdriver to pry old P4s off their heatsinks before.

I sliced into the chip of one of my old 8800GTSs trying to delid it. Killed the card.

One time I was really angry and my poor netbook was the only thing within reach at the table. Smashed screen and dead HDD. I want to install XP onto a flash drive or SD card and use it for something but it doesn't let me. (Something along the lines of "BIOS cannot access this device to boot" or something.)

On the note of old Geforce cards my P4 rig (I rebuilt it and it's on my desk next to me) had a 7600GS that has been to hell and back. It's never failed despite being overclocked a lot (I think one time I almost got double the VRAM clock or something.) and one time a push-pin on the heatsink came out when I was putting it back in. I didn't notice for a week that the card was severely overheating. (250+ F) Still working perfectly fine. The P4 that's currently in the rig is a 3.2GHz that has a good heatsink on it. (I've pushed it to over 1.7v and it still doesn't overheat. In order to not overheat the fan has to be on max and it sounds like a jet engine..) While I have gotten high voltages I haven't gotten over 3.7GHz. (I remember when I used this rig all the time I got the 3.0GHz CPU to 4GHz but it wasn't very stable.)

250F?? I coulda fried an egg.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I got one of my old LGA 775 P4 EE's to 5GHz at 2.3v...

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

My biggest mistake must have been to buy a pre built acer. God damn it cost me 1000usd and sucked c*ck. Everything have been upgraded since and i will NEVER buy a prebuilt again. Thank god i know how to build a computer now.

Gaming Computer | Case: CM Storm Scout II | MB: Asus P8Z77-V LK | CPU: i5 2320@3,6ghz | GFX:  MSI GTX 770 Gaming | RAM: 8gb DDR3 @ 1333mhz | Storage: 1TB Seagate Barracuda | Monitor: 1x Asus VG248QE @ 144Hz , 1x Samsung SyncMaster SA300 @ 77hz OC'd 

Other Device's | Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE@OmniROM | Tablet: Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 10.1@OmniROM | Laptop: Lenovo ThinkPad T61 Win 8.1

Did not plug in one of my 6pin cables on my gpu and the psu sparkled while playing bf3 and it also took my mobo, ram and cpu. Somehow my 6950 survived.

Installing windows xp in OS mode..  :D  :D  :D

i9-9900K || MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC || Gigabyte RTX 2080 Super Gaming OC || 16GBCorsair Vengeance LPX 3200Mhz || Samsung EVO 970 Plus Samsung 850 EVO 2TB + Crucial BX100 500GB + 4TB HGST NAS || Factal Design Define Mini C TG || Corsair RM750x || Corsair H100i Pro RGB || Acer Predator XB271HU

This happened to my cousin. When I was a little kid my cousin had a computer running on that good ol' windows 98. Instead of properly shutting it down, he would pull the cord...It also had so many viruses from random games he played. Even had the nerve to blame me for them even though I was never at his house. LOL Yeah that computer didn't last long.

wotm8?