Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

What happened to this thread? When I first found this, it was massively popular. At the turn of the year, it was like a post once every month. C'mon guys, this was hot. Now keep it that way.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

maybe people don't like admitting to their mistakes :D

I once took my two 5870s apart to clean them. took the whole damn thing apart. I got it clean alright, but it took me forever to get it all back together. Other than that I only make mitakes when I buy the parts :D

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

maybe people don't like admitting to their mistakes :D

I once took my two 5870s apart to clean them. took the whole damn thing apart. I got it clean alright, but it took me forever to get it all back together. Other than that I only make mitakes when I buy the parts :D

OHHHH NO, DON'T REMIND ME AGAIN. 

I always take off aftermarket coolers, then forget how the fuck it goes back together, just to put on some fucking thermal paste. Geez.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Water. Water everywhere. I was draining my loop that has no drain port.

And I would like to know exactly how one goes about doing that.

And I would like to know exactly how one goes about doing that.

You just pull it out of the fittings and try to get the water in a bowl lol

Some of them towards the end I just snapped.

Buying a motherboard thinking its a black PCB, then once I open I realize it's brown D:

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

Buying a motherboard thinking its a black PCB, then once I open I realize it's brown D:

What kinda motherboard is brown these days? Never seen one. Oldest one was a PGA 370.

Braiding a non modular power supply. I turned it on after spending hours braiding and the power supply went bang...

Ouch, that sucks. All that meticulous work for nothing.

What kinda motherboard is brown these days? Never seen one. Oldest one was a PGA 370.

http://img.misco.eu/Resources/images/Modules/InformationBlocks/1210/ASU/ASU-1/193032-Asus-P8Z77-V-LE-Plus-Socket-LGA1155-Motherboard-01.jpg

That my friend is a Z77 board lol also the new MSI Z87 gaming boards are brown too

CPU: i7 3770k @4.5Ghz 1.26v Cooler: H100i 2 Sp120 Quiets MoBo: MSI Z77 MPOWER Big Bang RAM: 16GB G.Skill Sniper 2133Mhz CL9 Graphics Card: Asus Direct CU II R9 290 Storage: Vertex 4 128GB, WD Black 1TB Case: NZXT H440 Green

Both I thought are black, not brown.

Come on! Only 104 more posts to 1K! We can do it!

Buying a TN panel which displayed grains over images as they move.I had nightmares of grains while sleeping glad I sent it back even though lost half of the money.in the end was totally worth it as I learnt my lesson.fuck TN Panels unless you have really bad eye sight.

Sent from my Nexus 7 (2013).

I clicked on a download button(ad) and downloaded a virus which bricked my PC. After that I fell for facebook phising -_-

Atleast now I'm well educated about what's what.

Humpty Dumpty was pushed.

I brought a Compaq laptop...

Normandy - Intel Core i5 3470, 8 GB Corsair Vengenace LP, EVGA GTX 960 SSC, Gigabyte GA-Z77M-D3H-MVP, WD Blue 1 TB, Seagate 320 GB (steam), Seagate 320 GB (experimental, second OS, etc), Windows 8.1 + Ubuntu 14.10

Garrus - HP Stream 11

Buying a Non-K intel i5 :(

"Meaningful Quote" - Well Respected Person of Interest

dropping water on my system after left the side panels open ,3years ago

Crust : Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.4Ghz 1.45v  |  MotherboardMSI Z97 MPower  |  Fruity FillingMSI GTX 960 Armor 2Way-SLI |  CoolingNoctua NH-D15  |  RAM : 16GB Corsair Vengeance 1600Mhz | Storage : 2xSamsung 840 EVO 500GB SSDs Raid-0  |  Power Supply : Seasonic X-Series 1250W 80+Gold  |  Monitor : Dell U2713HM 27" 60Hz 1440p  |                                                                                                                                           

On my first PC I changed the red button on the back of the PC that changes the volts for EU and US power supplies - Changed it to the higher number as I thought it would give more power, cue a smoking PSU when I turned the PC on :(

Infam0us - :D

I replaced the heat spreader on some RAM modules and I accidently pulled off one of the chips on two of the sticks. I tried to repair them but failed, so I bought some Dominator Platinums to replace them.

That's how I ended up buying some of the sexiest and most overpriced RAM available xD

That's how I ended up buying some of the sexiest and most overpriced RAM available xD

sounds like sth i would do :D

5.1GHz 4770k

My Specs

Intel i7-4770K @ 4.7GHz | Corsair H105 w/ SP120 | Asus Gene VI | 32GB Corsair Vengeance LP | 2x GTX 780Ti| Corsair 750D | OCZ Agility 3 | Samsung 840/850 | Sandisk SSD | 3TB WD RED | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | Corsair RM850 | ASUS PB278Q | SyncMaster 2370HD | SyncMaster P2450

Long time ago bought a dell xps 600 or 700 can't remember, it was the worst pc I ever had in my life. The ram on the Nvidia Geforce 7800 512mb went bad and started artifacting, then the mobo made a big pop noise and that was the end of it. Since then have learned more about pc's and now build them even better than them.

Forgive me El Guapo. I know that I, Jefe, do not have your superior intellect and education...

I lost my pass for 2 weeks after it feel in my mother's build. 

Putting a 10 year old 50mm fan on my Pentium 3. For the first 5 minutes you have the computer on, you can't really do anything on it, since the fan is spinning so slow. If you do, the PIII almost overheats.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (9TB partition for general storage + 2TB partition for dumping ground), 4x 8TB WD White Label/Red (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

OptiPlex 7040M

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700, 2x16GB Mushkin Redline (stuck at 2133MHz CL13), 240GB Corsair MP510, 130w Dell power brick, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)