Worst Tech mistake you have ever made?

Mitch

I had a network card droop down onto a graphics card when the system was on, needless to say, it died instantly :S

Specs: CPU: AMD FX 6300 Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A DS3P RAM: HyperX Fury 16GB 1866MHz GPU: MSI R9 270 OC edition Case: Sharkoon VS3-S SSD: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB HDD: 1TB Caviar Blue PSU: Corsair CX500W

*If I say something that seems offensive, please don't take it seriously, it was most likely meant as a joke/sarcastically*

I tossed some CRT monitors from a 2nd floor when we were cleaning the old office before moving out.

Mystery is the source of all true science.

I haven't done it, but a long time ago I saw someone cut down the pins on their GPU to fit a x16 card into a x8 slot...

I am keeping my 4930k and 780 trapped in an Antec Sonata III...

When I tried removing my Gpu out of the PCI-E slot and I pulled the Gpu and slot together.

Biggest fail ever.

Had to order a new motherboard right after that happened..

Intel Core I7 7820X | Asus Rampage VI | Gigabyte RX 580 XTR | 32GB Crucial Ballistix | NZXT Kraken X62

ADATA XPG 256GB PCIe| Cosmos C700P CM | Lepa MaxPlatinum 1050W

Helped a friend build his first computer. I mounted the RAM into the wrong pair of slots to start with. We then spent an hour and a half panicking and wondering why the machine would post but then fail to recognize the keyboard or mouse in the BIOS.

miscalculated a powersupply for my buddys build. so after it ran just fin and then we stress tested it for the night and after running the whoole night without any problem it crashed in the morning. grilled the psu and replaced it for a better one at my own cost as it was my fault to miscalcutlate it.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Oh my hahaha yes. I have some stories to share:

1. 3 years ago I was building my own pc , after sooo loooong . I placed the CPU the wrong way and actually FORCED the latch and locked it. However upon reading the instructions on the CPU, there was two small hinges to indicate how to put the CPU properly. I bent some of the pins on the motherboard and had to do the unbending process haha.

2. Built a PC on a Carpet. OOOOOooooOOOO boy was I lucky nothing happened. 

3. I took off the small jumper on the power connector ports thinking it was just a regular cap. HAH. 

4. I didn't know that the latest PSU's won't run the fans until a certain load is reached. I thought my PSU was a dud lol

I recently found a screwdriver that I left inside the case months ago. That also solved the reason why there was vibrating sounds within the case.

• 2 weeks later...

So I remember my first pc build it was with a e7 something I think it was from a codename Wolfdale can't  remember. And my pc was all set and done and i was ready to add my connections.

That was the time I realized that I hadn't attached The motherboard's I/O shield.

ine's not that amazing, but care to share yours?

|CPU: Intel i7-5960X @ 4.4ghz|MoBo: Asus Rampage V|RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum|GPU:2-way SLI Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 980's|SSD:512GB Samsung 850 pro|HDD: 2TB WD Black|PSU: Corsair AX1200i|COOLING: NZXT Kraken x61|SOUNDCARD: Creative SBX ZxR|  ^_^  Planned Bedroom Build: Red Phantom [quadro is stuck in customs, still trying to find a cheaper way to buy a highend xeon]

I believe that when building my first PC I forgot to put the I/O shield in, luckily I had not put any mobo screws in yet.

Didn't really manage to fuck anything else up with it that I can remember.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

Not much a mistake but I went with a corsair h 50 for my cooler and I didn't realize the asrock fatal1ty z97 killer didn't go all the way to the right with the standoffs bps of watch out for that on mobos

I don't really have any. 

My arsenal: i7-9700k Gaming Rig, an iPhone, and Stupidity.

my first build went smoothly, however there was a couple of times when i forgot to reconnect the CPU fan after reapplying thermal paste

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

good to know!

OFF TOPIC: I suggest every poll from now on to have "**CK EA" option instead of "Other"

pc didnt power on, thought i broke something. freaked out for 25 minutes then noticed i didnt plug in the 24 pin all the way

not sure if its a first build, but first time rebuilding (cleaning). i forgot that there was a latch thingy on the pcie slots so i just tried to yank out the video card, the mobo was like bending it was really cringe worthy

Bending my GOD DAMN case panel. Takes forever to put it back on. 

My Current Build:

CPU: Intel Core i5 4690K @ 4.5 GHz MOBO: ASUS Z97M mATX RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz Storage #1: Seagate Barracuda 1 TB HDD Storage #2: Kingston SSDNow V300 Series 120 GB SSD GPU: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280X WINDFORCE Case: Cooler Master N200 PSU: EVGA 80+ Bronze 600B 600W Monitor: AOC 2367 23" IPS Display 

Future Upgrades
RAM: Samsung 8GB (2 x 4 GB) @ 1600 MHz (for a total of 16 GB) Storage #3: Sansung 850 Pro Series 256 GB SSD GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 970 Twin Frozer V Case: Corsair 350D Window mATX PSU: Cooler Master VSM 80+ Gold  650W
Add me on Steam:
Click me!

Breaking the clips on the front of a turbo-x case (greek brand)

CPU: Intel core i7-4770 --- CPU Cooler: Corsair H105 --- GPU: Asus Geforce GTX 970 Strix --- MB: Asus Maximus VI Hero --- RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

Case: Corsair Obsidian 750D --- PSU: Corsair AX860i --- SSD: Seagate 120GB --- HDD: Seagate 2TB + Toshiba 1TB --- ODD: Asus External DVD-R

Keyboard: Razer Blackwidow 2013 Ultimate --- Mouse: Logitech G602 --- Mousepad: Corsair Vengeance MM600 --- Monitor: LG 29UM65

installing the hyper 212 is a pain in itself, even now its still tilted a bit when i looked through the window side panel =/

I bought AMD :D

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo