Is the new MacBook the biggest fail from Apple?

IMPERIUS

First thing- I'm not an apple hater. I really like their design and everything but looking at some alternatives and comparing prices...makes me realize they are a bit pricey for what they offer. Kinda like beats

Anyways, I reckon 99% of you know the specs, the resolution, size, number of ports etc.

Things I like about it:

I really love its design, weight and form factor, its track pad, screen and its os (I still prefer windows but osx has a quite good ecosystem). And thats about it

Things I don't like/ don't understand why they added it:

I really don't understand its specs. Most of you probably hate its dual core 1.1/3 ghz cpu (I also don't like it, don't get me wrong) but keep in mind that it has up to 2.9ghz turbo clock speed so I think that won't be an issue. However for such a big price I would want a quad core and then I wouldn't mind its 1.1/3ghz stock speeds.

It only has 1 port for everything. Yes, its too thin for more port but WHY do you have to make it so thin that is limits its usability? I don't care if it is ultra thin, I'm willing to have something twice as fat and want more ports. That one port beats the idea of an portable lightweight travel pc when you have adapters hanging off of it.

It resolution. Yes, it is a very nice display but why such a weird resolution? I don't know if there are any drawbacks to this resolution (please tell me) but I bet something more standard would be better. Maybe not for ppi but for general compatibility (not sure about this)

Its price. They want waaaay too much for what they are offering but there will always be people who go and throw out that much money just because apple. And yes, I understand them. If I would have a lot of money I would also probably get this instead of something else but I don't have it so I must look for something better for this price

I also don't get it for what kind of a person this laptop is intended for. Maybe for somebody who travels a lot and is obsessed with apple and thin things? If yes, then such a cpu, only one port and other things would make more sense for an apple macbook air- that one is meant for travel. This one shouldn't be. It should be a more traditional laptop. If somebody wants a portable, thin, light travel laptop then get the air. 

So yeah those are my thought on the new product. What are yours? Anything you would add?

Longboarders/ skaters message me!

There are bigger fails.

Powermac g4 cube

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

idk...

IMO the watch is pretty close

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

There are bigger fails.

Powermac g4 cube

Lol never heard of it. It looks ugly. And I saw one picture with the pc, monitor, keyboard and mouse all covered in that ugly see-through plastic

I don't see the laptop itself as a fail. It's thin, light and looks sweet for business trips etc. Like mentioned in the WAN show, they should've just called it the MacBook Air. Then no one would have complained.

#LinusKitchenTips /// "Better than useless" - Linus Sebastian

LTT Holy bible: Code Of Conduct

Project Toaster [My Silver NCASE M1 V2 Build-log] 

Main Rig
 Case: Fractal Design Define R5 CPU: INTEL 
i5 3570k Cooler: CM Hyper 212 Evo Mobo: Maximus V Gene Z77 GPU: Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming (w/ 0% fan mode) RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 2x8GB 1600mHz Storage: OCZ VERTEX 4 256GB PSU: Corsair AX860 Monitor: ASUS PB278Q 1440p 27" Headphones: QPAD QH-90 Laptop
Macbook Pro Retina 13" i5 256Gb Early 2015
Phone
Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone Black

It's a first gen product. It WILL have compromises. But it will only improve as time goes on. 

But more importantly, it is a harbinger of things to come. Apple laptops will adopt universal standards, pushing the entire industry standard. The retina display will one day become average. Computers will get thinner and lighter while getting better battery life. 

That's why it is the MacBook. No Air, no Pro. This will be mainstream, and I welcome its innovations. 

Yes, it may not have enough ports. But it's a good sign of things to come, a good sign of future products that will not have compromises. 

Aesthetics of rigs matter

If you're interested, participate in LTT Build Offs

I'm a bit skeptical about the fanless design, I do lots of intensive work on all of my PC's, not sure how the thermal side of things would hold up

I'm also not entirely certain about their target market....die hard Apple fanboys perhaps? Because all they do is speak highly about it yet don't know shit about its internals

I've also owned three variants of the Macbook Air, not impressed by the throttling at all, or the RIDICULOUSLY limited upgradability.

Then again...these machines aren't for everyone, but don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of Windows/Mac/IOS/Android etc, I just go with what works best

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

I don't see the laptop itself as a fail. It's thin, light and looks sweet for business trips etc. Like mentioned in the WAN show, they should've just called it the MacBook Air. Then no one would have complained.

Yes that is true. 

Yes, it may not have enough ports. But it's a good sign of things to come, a good sign of future products that will not have compromises. 

This product has quite a lot of compromises

It should have just been the new Macbook Air, but it needs to be cheaper for that to happen...

I'm a bit skeptical about the fanless design, I do lots of intensive work on all of my PC's, not sure how the thermal side of things would hold up

I'm also not entirely certain about their target market....die hard Apple fanboys perhaps? Because all they do is speak highly about it yet don't know shit about its internals

I've also owned three variants of the Macbook Air, not impressed by the throttling at all, or the RIDICULOUSLY limited upgradability.

Then again...these machines aren't for everyone, but don't get me wrong, I'm not a fanboy of Windows/Mac/IOS/Android etc, I just go with what works best

1. It's a Core M and uses 4 watts under load....

2. The target market is people who like Apple, who don't need lots of ports and want portability while wrapped in a pretty form factor. Basically the semi-hardcore web browser.

3. Most laptops of that thinness cannot be upgraded anyways. Dell XPS has been non-upgradeable longer than the Air has.

4. I prefer OSX over Windows but I like Windows for programming and I like Linux when I don't need to play games or program in Notepad ++ etc.

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

1. It's a Core M and uses 4 watts under load....

2. The target market is people who like Apple, who don't need lots of ports and want portability while wrapped in a pretty form factor. Basically the semi-hardcore web browser.

3. Most laptops of that thinness cannot be upgraded anyways. Dell XPS has been non-upgradeable longer than the Air has.

4. I prefer OSX over Windows but I like Windows for programming and I like Linux when I don't need to play games or program in Notepad ++ etc.

You see, that's the problem right there.... (Note well, I'm not a hater whatsoever, I own countless Apple products with which I am pleased with to an extent)

Why spend $1000+ USD on a semi-hardcore web browser?

If I were to use it to do a presentation (which I do regularly), what on earth would the outcome be?

Why draw a comparison to a brand that is rapidly spiraling downward?

I get the like for OSX, I use it on a daily basis because of my job and my love for content creation.

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

The iWatch is still worse... Because it's Apple following the crowd, not the other way around... And that's not how it should be...

"My game vs my brains, who gets more fatal errors?" ~ Camper125Lv, GMC Jam #15

You see, that's the problem right there.... (Note well, I'm not a hater whatsoever, I own countless Apple products with which I am pleased with to an extent)

Why spend $1000+ USD on a semi-hardcore web browser?

If I were to use it to do a presentation (which I do regularly), what on earth would the outcome be?

Why draw a comparison to a brand that is rapidly spiraling downward?

I get the like for OSX, I use it on a daily basis because of my job and my love for content creation.

People will spend that much on a semi-hardcore web browser because they see things like i7 and they like Apple too much or feel that OSX somehow solves all of their problems with PCs "getting viruses all the time and being way too hard to use." Yes, I hate how they phrase that (novice computer people who don't understand that Windows is much easier to understand than any variation of UNIX is) but that's how they want to spend their money on their computing experience.

The presentation would go well if you could plug in about 63 adapters to your projector.

Dell is doing fine as far as I can tell. What do you mean by "spiraling downward?" I simply compared it to another great laptop that compares quite similarly with the Air.

OSX Yosemite is pretty. Hence how I set up Ubuntu xD

Screenshot_from_2015_03_14_16_00_32.png

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

People will spend that much on a semi-hardcore web browser because they see things like i7 and they like Apple too much or feel that OSX somehow solves all of their problems with PCs "getting viruses all the time and being way too hard to use." Yes, I hate how they phrase that (novice computer people who don't understand that Windows is much easier to understand than any variation of UNIX is) but that's how they want to spend their money on their computing experience.

The presentation would go well if you could plug in about 63 adapters to your projector.

Dell is doing fine as far as I can tell. What do you mean by "spiraling downward?" I simply compared it to another great laptop that compares quite similarly with the Air.

OSX Yosemite is pretty. Hence how I set up Ubuntu xD

Screenshot_from_2015_03_14_16_00_32.png

True, I've seen people get misled by the term "i7" or "i5" with no knowledge about what a ULV CPU is, I've had friends tell me that their ULV i7's could crush my i5 4200H

And yeah I'd look like such a tool with all them attachments, the Macbook Air works fine enough for me atm, for everything else I'd use the trusty old Y50

And well, you're probably right there too, I shouldn't say that they're spiraling downward, their shift to the mobile market is a bit of a failure which could hurt them in the long run.

And well your image ain't loading :/

If you're speaking about whether or not a product makes sense?

Yea this is a pretty high up there...their own product makes it irrelevant.

Apple watch naming scheme might be worst fail, though

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

True, I've seen people get misled by the term "i7" or "i5" with no knowledge about what a ULV CPU is, I've had friends tell me that their ULV i7's could crush my i5 4200H

And yeah I'd look like such a tool with all them attachments, the Macbook Air works fine enough for me atm, for everything else I'd use the trusty old Y50

And well, you're probably right there too, I shouldn't say that they're spiraling downward, their shift to the mobile market is a bit of a failure which could hurt them in the long run.

And well your image ain't loading :/

People are dumb.

My favorite laptop is the 2014 13 inch Air. Still is. Glad you enjoy your Air.

I think Dell making phones is a possibility in the future and I wouldn't discourage them from trying.

And I think I should find a new image host :/

That's the Macbook air (Apple seems to have droped the Air branding however) which has always had limited I/O. If you want a Macbook with plenty of I/O and better specs you buy the pro version.
http://www.macworld.co.uk/news/mac/retina-macbook-air-12in-2015-release-date-launch-watch-event-new-macbook-3420655/

http://www.macworld.co.uk/review/mac-laptops/new-2015-13-inch-retina-macbook-pro-preview-3601221/

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Hang on, this caught my attention:

But what's really important about USB Type-C is that it's much more versatile than USB Type-A, so can transfer data, charge devices and be used to charge the MacBook, and hook up to external displays thanks to video-out.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol never heard of it. It looks ugly. And I saw one picture with the pc, monitor, keyboard and mouse all covered in that ugly see-through plastic

[on the Cube] One of the managers where I work has one gutted and upside down.  He keeps it full of candy.   

People are dumb.

My favorite laptop is the 2014 13 inch Air. Still is. Glad you enjoy your Air.

I think Dell making phones is a possibility in the future and I wouldn't discourage them from trying.

And I think I should find a new image host :/

Yup, it's really a Godsent when it comes to commuting or traveling lol

I remember when the Venue was released....wasn't too shabby but I don't think the marketing did it any justice

Postimage has yet to fail me, seems to be pretty decent 

Yup, it's really a Godsent when it comes to commuting or traveling lol

I remember when the Venue was released....wasn't too shabby but I don't think the marketing did it any justice

Postimage has yet to fail me, seems to be pretty decent 

I dunno why postimage isn't working for me. I'll show you through imgur.

Here ya go.

rP9BZ61.png?1

The new Macbook makes some of sense for a couple of specific use cases. People like your grandparents, who don't need a system any more powerful than a tablet, but still want the full OS experience. Or students who just need something to write papers and do research on, while still having great battery life. People like this.  It is an expensive option, but will likely still be the most popular one, based on the aesthetic that comes with apple products. Dose it make sense for the majority of users on this forum? Of course not. But we are not the majority out there. We are the small enthusiast community that demands more horsepower from our systems. But this is the sort of laptop I would buy for my grandparents; it has everything they need in an elegant package with a pretty simple OS to learn. And there is an apple store down the street from their house, so if I couldn't help them, the dudes at the apple store could.