Is the new MacBook the biggest fail from Apple?

IMPERIUS

The new Macbook makes some of sense for a couple of specific use cases. People like your grandparents, who don't need a system any more powerful than a tablet, but still want the full OS experience. Or students who just need something to write papers and do research on, while still having great battery life. People like this.  It is an expensive option, but will likely still be the most popular one, based on the aesthetic that comes with apple products. Dose it make sense for the majority of users on this forum? Of course not. But we are not the majority out there. We are the small enthusiast community that demands more horsepower from our systems. But this is the sort of laptop I would buy for my grandparents; it has everything they need in an elegant package with a pretty simple OS to learn. And there is an apple store down the street from their house, so if I couldn't help them, the dudes at the apple store could.

TBH, I'd actually save up and buy one to replace my aging ASUS A3H if it had at least 1 USB 2.0/3.0. Because if you want to charge on the go you need to unplug your USB C device and few devices actually make use of USB C at the moment, which is annoying (but expected-Apple likes to set trends).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

I dunno why postimage isn't working for me. I'll show you through imgur.

Here ya go.

rP9BZ61.png?1

That really looks pretty nice

Reminds me of when I used to go crazy with Ubuntu

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

That really looks pretty nice

Reminds me of when I used to go crazy with Ubuntu

Unfortunately wireless problems plague Linux and getting it to work wirelessly was hell.

Also, I screwed up the font and a reinstall might be the only solution meaning more wireless fixing hell...

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

My take on the Macbook is that it's much like a Surface. I mean, look at the I/O, look at the trackpad, look at the keyboard. They're priced very similarly for the higher spec models. It's a fast, thin tablet that has a sort-of keyboard and a sort-of trackpad on it, and ridiculously minimal I/O. Same as the Surface.

I really don't think that Apple is entirely going for a laptop or an ultrabook. I'm thinking they're going more for... a book? I don't know.

That doesn't mean I'd buy one. No freaking way. I think it's a stupid product, but I also think people are missing the mark on what it's actually for and actually competes with.

WHAT WERE YOU THINKING APPLE?!?!

1.Overpriced

2.Gold?!?!(really apple?)

3.One port is stupid. Even the new Chromebook has 2 USB-C ports. There is no reason for such a thin laptop

4.There are already thinner laptops

In Conclusion: Apple should make an extremely thin gun to end it's life

-The cpu being dual core could be an issue, but as always, people think that Apple = better.

- Having 1 port is more cinematic.

- It's thin because Apple didn't wanted it to "feel fat".

- The human eye can only see up to 480p 24FPS, so the resolution shouldn't be a problem.

- Your average Apple users are gullible people, they will pay the price because somehow in who knows which universe Apple = better.

That should cover everything. 

The stars died for you to be here today.

A locked bathroom in the right place can make all the difference in the world.

So, I think it's a fail, but the design is amazing which is what in my opinion Apple exceeds at (by design, I mean how it looks. Not the once USB-C port).

I think if they would of added more USB-C ports and lower the price a little because of the specs, I don't think it would of been that bad. I wouldn't mind buying some dongles/adapters for it, but right now, it's worthless to buy for me.

Need help? Just message me.  @_avax Please quote me for responses.

If it was reasonably priced and if the 80$ adapter was included, that would be a neat little laptop. But for that price, I don't get why anyone would buy it.

CPU: i5-6600k @ 4.4GHz | Motherboard: Asus Z170 Pro Gaming | RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury | GPU: Asus Strix GTX 980 | Case: NZXT Noctis 450 Red/Black | Storage: 256GB Sandisk SSD + 1TB Western Digital HDD | PSU: EVGA 750w | Monitor: ASUS VS247H | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo | Keyboard: $15 Cheapo Rubber Dome Keyboard | Mouse: Rosewill RGM-300

Linus Tech Tips Pebble (and Pebble Time) notifier watchface!

Unfortunately wireless problems plague Linux and getting it to work wirelessly was hell.

Also, I screwed up the font and a reinstall might be the only solution meaning more wireless fixing hell...

Haha yup

I remember always having issues with my BCM4313 NIC, haven't used Ubuntu in ages

Now I feel like installing it for fun

CPU: Intel Core i7 4790K @ 4.8GHZGPU: MSI GeForce GTX 1070 Gaming X (X2 - SLI)RAM: 24GB | Storage: 128GB 960 PRO M.2 SSD, 1TB & 750GB HDD | Operating System: Windows 10, MacOS High Sierra

Haha yup

I remember always having issues with my BCM4313 NIC, haven't used Ubuntu in ages

Now I feel like installing it for fun

Go for it! Make sure you're using wired internet though!

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

I wouldn't buy it but that's just cuz 1k is my limit on laptops. The I/O is pretty much perfect for me as I haven't plugged any usb device into my current laptop since I game on my desktop now.

My posts are in a constant state of editing :)

CPU: i7-4790k @ 4.7Ghz MOBO: ASUS ROG Maximums VII Hero  GPU: Asus GTX 780ti Directcu ii SLI RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: Corsair AX860 Case: Corsair 450D Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB, WD Black 1TB Cooling: Corsair H100i with Noctua fans Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift

laptop

Some ASUS model. Has a GT 550M, i7-2630QM, 4GB or ram and a WD Black SSD/HDD drive. MacBook Pro 13" base model
Apple stuff from over the years
iPhone 5 64GB, iPad air 128GB, iPod Touch 32GB 3rd Gen and an iPod nano 4GB 3rd Gen. Both the touch and nano are working perfectly as far as I can tell :)

MacBook Vista!

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

nope the applewatch

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

i really dont like how apple is trying to make it smaller by removing ports

and a smaller battery in there phone

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Only on tuesdays

CPU: AMD FX-6300 4GHz @ 1.3 volts | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO | RAM: 8GB DDR3

Motherboard: Gigabyte 970A-DS3P | GPU: EVGA GTX 960 SSC | SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO

HDD: 1TB WD Caviar Green | Case: Fractal Design Core 2500 | OS: Windows 10 Home

I actually think apple did a good thing with the Macbook...

They are initializing a USB 3 standard

It is a fanless design; therefore most likely to never fail

It is an engineering marvel, the entire logic board is smaller than your android phone most likely.

It is a laptop that you can take to a business meeting easily, and not have to worry about failing or short battery life.

And for those saying only 1 USB, who cares. USB 3 drives will be coming out soon, and most people use the cloud anyways.

I think they have very strongly forwarded innovation and I'm sure it will take off.

LinusGGtips

Build It. Mod It. Customize It.

Seeing that made me sort of miss OS X. (I haven't used it since like last year because I'm High School now and at my High School there are few Macs there and my Mid 2010 base MBP has been dead for a couple years now) OS X has a sweet spot for me because I loved Apple when I was younger. 

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

I actually think apple did a good thing with the Macbook...

They are initializing a USB 3 standard

It is a fanless design; therefore most likely to never fail

It is an engineering marvel, the entire logic board is smaller than your android phone most likely.

It is a laptop that you can take to a business meeting easily, and not have to worry about failing or short battery life.

And for those saying only 1 USB, who cares. USB 3 drives will be coming out soon, and most people use the cloud anyways.

I think they have very strongly forwarded innovation and I'm sure it will take off.

Yeah... they may be *cough*initializing*cough, cough* USB C, but they only have the 1 port-and its for charging the Macbook as well as connecting external devices. So you can't actually charge it while using the USB port the way you can on every other laptop that has ever existed.

PMSL

Yeah... they may be *cough*initializing*cough, cough* USB C, but they only have the 1 port-and its for charging the Macbook as well as connecting external devices. So you can't actually charge it while using the USB port the way you can on every other laptop that has ever existed.

Yeah considering that if Apple can get a 3.5mm jack and 1 USB C I think they can fit at least one or two more on. I personally don't use USB that often so yeah.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

You can. A USB hub will charge and transfer data at the same time.

As well how often do people use a USB stick with their laptop. It's all cloud storage now. And for the quick transfer that you might have to do, unplug your charger for two minutes and then plug it back in. I don't really see the big deal. 

LinusGGtips

You can. A USB hub will charge and transfer data at the same time.

As well how often do people use a USB stick with their laptop. It's all cloud storage now. And for the quick transfer that you might have to do, unplug your charger for two minutes and then plug it back in. I don't really see the big deal. 

*sigh* The new Macbook is charged by the USB C  connection, so in other words your either using your USB hub or charging your Macbook-not both at the same time.

PMSL

I just don't see what it offers over a Macbook Air. I think people are making too much of a fuss over it but it's pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. Get a MBA or a MBP... this product just doesn't offer much of anything that the others don't.

Intel i5-4690K @ 3.8GHz || Gigabyte Z97X-SLI || 8GB G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600MHz || Asus GTX 760 2GB @ 1150 / 6400 || 128GB A-Data SX900 + 1TB Toshiba 7200RPM || Corsair RM650 || Fractal 3500W

I'm a bit skeptical about the fanless design, I do lots of intensive work on all of my PC's, not sure how the thermal side of things would hold up

It's not meant to be used as a video editing or gaming machine, hell it's even reflected upon by the Intel Core M that runs at 1.1 Ghz. Think of it as an iPad with a keyboard and mouse that runs OSX.

Follow the topics you create using the "Follow" button in the top right corner!

One day I will have my GTX 970. One day. PC specs are at my profile.

Not sure how to check what part works with what? Check out my compatibility guide!

*sigh* The new Macbook is charged by the USB C  connection, so in other words your either using your USB hub or charging your Macbook-not both at the same time.

Yes, but how long do you keep a USB plugged in? I mean if you need to transfer something, unplug your charger, transfer for 1 min, and plug back in.

I've never seen it as a big deal.

LinusGGtips

Yes, but how long do you keep a USB plugged in? I mean if you need to transfer something, unplug your charger, transfer for 1 min, and plug back in.

I've never seen it as a big deal.

The point is, Apple has dropped their Mackbooks down a level (the Pro is now what the old Macbook was, and the new Macbooks is effectively the Macbook air), Apple is screwing their customers over. The CPU alone is not as strong as what is in the older Macbooks.

PMSL