March 13, 2015 - The WAN Show Document

Soundcloud Link: https://soundcloud.com/thewanshow/the-wan-show-what-was-apple-thinking-with-guest-jon-rettinger-mar-13-2015

NEW SHIRT http://teespring.com/sifp

News

Apple Watch Editions 18k gold has, on a volume basis, less gold than regular 18k gold

Source 1: linustechtips.com/the-apple-watch-editions… OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: http://leancrew.com/all-this/2015/03/apple-gold/

• Apple’s gold is a metal matrix composite, not a standard alloy

• they’re mixing gold with low-density ceramic particles rather than silver, copper, and other metals

• ceramic makes it harder and more scratch-resistant

• less dense than normal gold

• how do they do this?

• karat is a measure of the mass fraction

• 100 grams of 18k gold has 75 grams of gold and 25 grams other material

• low-density ceramic takes up a bigger volume than high-density metal

• same weight ratio, less gold overall since the watch casing is made to a particular size (volume) not a particular mass

• one cubic centimeter of regular 18k gold contains 11.7g of actual gold

• one cubic centimeter of Apple’s 18k gold contains 5.43g of actual gold

• Apple has, of course, patented their specific practice of creating 18k gold with ceramics

AVG develops glasses that can protect the wearer’s identity from facial recognition software

Source 1: linustechtips.com/avg-develops-glasses… OP: Exhilarare

Source 2: psfk.com/avg-invisibility-glasses…

• introduced at Pepcom in Barcelona

• two ways these glasses protect against automatic face recognition

• infrared lights and retro-reflective materials on the surface of the glasses to return the flash of the camera

• infrared lights obscure your face in a photo, since cameras pick it up but human eyes do not

• retro-reflective materials cause eyes to be surrounded by a ring of light in photos, making it hard for computers to fully recognize your face

• AVG thinks it’s an important step forward due to evolving technologies like Facebook’s DeepFace technology, improved system for identifying faces

• right now it’s just a proof of concept, but it shows that we’re working toward a consumer version

AMD to benefit, over time, as China lifts ban on game console sales

Source 1: linustechtips.com/amd-to-benefit-over-time-as… OP: Opcode

Source 2: seekingalpha.com/amd-to-benefit-over-time…

• AMD devised unified gaming strategy in 2013

• drive the gaming market across consoles, cloud, tablets, and PC

• powers all next-gen consoles

• Chinese console market is untapped opportunity

• benefit from console sales without increasing R&D or marketing costs

• Niko Partners estimates 1M grey market consoles sold in China annually most populous country in the world, now the biggest market for consumer electronics

• Microsoft’s Yusuf Mehdi states that there are more than half a billion gamers in the country

Facebook “feeling fat” emoji is no longer

Source 1: linustechtips.com/lulz-the-facebook-feeling… OP: xeromynd

Source 2: theverge.com/facebook-removes-feeling…

• online petition got more than 16,000 signatures

• supporters argued that “fat is not a feeling”

• by including the smiling, double-chinned emoticon, they claimed that Facebook was “encouraging negative body image among girls”

• campaign was launched by “Endangered Bodies” as part of last month’s National Eating Disorders Awareness week

• Facebook apologized for any negative body image issues the emoji may have reinforced

• ‘Feeling ugly” still an option

Apple’s ResearchKit did in 24 hours what would normally take 50 medical centers a year

Source 1: linustechtips.com/apples-researchkit-did-in… OP: RedRound2

Source 2: http://9to5mac.com/2015/03/12/researchkit-usage/

• 11,000 iPhone users signed up for a heart health study using Apple’s ResearchKit in the first 24 hours

• unprecedented signups

• “To get 10,000 people enrolled in a medical study normally, it would take a year and 50 medical centers around the country,” said Alan Yeung, medical director of Stanford Cardiovascular Health, speaking to Bloomberg

• Stanford is one of five academic centers to develop apps using iPhone’s built-in accelerometers, gyroscopes, and GPS

• iPhone reports actaul data rather than relying on study participants claims about the amount of exercise they do

• average iPhone user may not be representative of the general US population

• “The average iPhone user is more likely to have graduate and doctoral degrees than the average Android user, and has a higher income as well, according to polling company CivicScience Inc. Those sort of demographic differences could skew the findings from a study.”

• potential seems huge for medical research using iPhones and other devices

• another example - typical Parkinson’s research study of 800 participants over 5 years costs $60 million

• Parkinson’s app had 5,589 participants by morning of 3/10 (Tuesday)

Valve was given a 'F' in customer service by the BBB

Source 1: linustechtips.com - valve was given a f in customer OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: steamed.kotaku.com - valve is not psyched they got an f in customer

Source 3: bbb.org - computer software publishers and developers

• Other major gaming companies largely have A's.

• The BBB is not a government agency, nor does it have any sort of regulatory power. Rather, it's a national network of non-profit groups that seek to, well, make businesses better.

• Valve business development authority Erik Johnson said: “Valve doesn't really consider the Better Business Bureau a priority”, "The BBB is a far less useful proxy for customer issues than Reddit. We don't use them for much. They don't provide us as useful of data as customers emailing us, posting on Reddit, posting on Twitter, and so on.”, “We need to build customer support directly into Steam. We need to understand what's the most efficient way to solve customer problems. Right now we're in a state where we're doing a bunch of technical work on thinking through how does a support issue get raised, who has to see it, how do refunds get issued within Steam—we've done a poor job on all of that up to this date. We think it's something we really need to focus on."

• Factors that lowered the rating for Valve Corporation include:

• 717 complaint(s) filed against business

• Failure to respond to 502 complaint(s) filed against business

• 17 complaint(s) filed against business that were not resolved

• Business has failed to resolve underlying cause(s) of a pattern of complaints

• Factors that raised the rating for Valve Corporation include:

• Length of time business has been operating

**Jon Guest** Apple Watch Event - Live Coverage (Watch + Retina Air + Retina Macbook + HBO Now + ResearchKit) UPDATED

Source 1: linustechtips.com - apple watch event live coverage OP: Victorious Secret

Source 2: apple.com/live/2015-mar-event/

(Thread by VS is very well made, no need for notes.)

• Announcements:

• Apple Watch

• Macbook and MacBook Pro Retina

• New iPhone

• New iPad

• Price drop on Apple TV

• HBO Now collaboration

The SSD Endurance Experiment: Finally, They Are All Dead

Source 1: linustechtips.com - the ssd endurance experiment finally OP: Big Stroonz

Source 2: techreport.com - the ssd endurance experiment casualties on the way

Source 3: techreport.com - the ssd endurance experiment theyre all dead

• Geoff Gasior from Tech report pushed six SSDs to their very limit

• took 18 months for every drive to die

• Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB, Intel 335 Series 240GB, 2x HyperX 3K 240GB, Samsung 840 250GB, Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

• the experiment used Anvil’s endurance test to sequentially write 10GB of static data

• tested all SSDs with incompressible data

• clear evidence of flash wear after 200TB of writes, which is when the Samsung 840 Series started logging reallocated sectors, but didn’t actaully encounter any real problems until 300TB, died between 900TB and 1PB of writes

• Intel 335 went to 700TB, showed no issues but the media wear indicator ran out shortly after 700TB, NAND write tolerance had been exceeded and switched to read-only mode

• since Intel does not have any confidence in the drive at that point, it bricks itself on restart

• Intel only suffered 1 reallocated sector before bricking itself

• HyperX 3K lasted just over 700TB, 1000 reallocated sectors, was still readable but could no longer write, did not respond after reboot. Kingston stated that drives won’t boot if NAND reserve has been exhausted

• Corsair Neutron GTX was practically flawless until 1.1PB, posted thousands of reallocated sectors and warning messages over the next 100TB

• still functional after 1.2PB of writes, and SMART attributes suggested adequate flash remained in reserve, but was unresponsive after reboot

• second HyperX 3K last 2.1PB of writes, when it was taken out following a power outage over holiday (may have lasted even longer without that)

• Samsung 840 Pro last 2.4PB writes

RAPID FIRE [Rumor? Tough to tell from the source] MediaTek to license AMD graphics

Source 1: linustechtips.com/mediatek-to-license-amd-graphcs… OP: Opcode

Source 2: fudzilla.com/mediatek-to-license-amd-graphics…

• one of the biggest announcements from Mobile World Congress

• MediaTek working with AMD on mobile SoC graphics

• means that AMD is getting back into the ultra-low power graphics market

• should help MediaTek in their battle against Qualcomm in the high-end segment

• both companies declined to comment on the upcoming partnership

DirectX12 AMD and Nvidia Multi-GPU configurations confirmed

Source 1: linustechtips.com/directx12-amd-and-nvidia-multi-gpu… OP: CM2546

• only source given is a screengrab of a Microsoft support conversation…

• “Will DirectX12 support Multi-GPU configurations between Nvidia and… AMD?” “Upon checking, it will support multi-gpu configurations between Nvidia and AMD.”

FCC released rules it intends to use to protect the “new” open internet - long-form document

Source 1: linustechtips.com/the-fcc-just-released-the… OP: Alexp10v2

Source 2: engadget.com/fcc-open-internet-order…

• about 400 pages long

• includes all information

• still under public evaluation as it was just released Thursday morning (3/12)

Star Citizen client to be around 100GB

Source 1: linustechtips.com - star citizen client to be around 100gb OP: Bonsie

Source 2: forums.robertsspaceindustries.com/discussion/comment/4591962

Source 3: pcgamer.com/star-citizen-client-expected-to-be-around-100gb/

• never any question that Star Citizen would be a massive game client

• “The size and number of assets that are left to deliver means that our client size is much more likely to be 100gb.” - Jeremy Masker, director of game operations at Cloud Imperium Games

• “Also, yes we are optimizing game patching for speed and to only deliver diffs, but this is unlikely to reduce actual patch size. Again, each patch has 100s of assets, each of these assets are at times 200mb, this leads to 2-6gb patches, and if we end up doing a file type re-factor and have to re-download 30-40% of the assets on the hard-drive, then the patch will be 14-20gb.”

• big effect on users with low data caps and slow download speeds

• may be a prohibiting factor for some

TLDR or TLDS

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

So I noticed your guest had Beats By  Dr Dre headphones on, and I don't want to be judgmental, but I immediately didn't take anything he said seriously upon noticing this. Can't help it. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

My ISP was wanting to be killed yesterday,so i  couldn't watch 

Current system - ThinkPad Yoga 460

ExSystems

Spoiler

Laptop - ASUS FX503VD

|| Case: NZXT H440 ❤️|| MB: Gigabyte GA-Z170XP-SLI || CPU: Skylake Chip || Graphics card : GTX 970 Strix || RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB || Storage:1TB WD+500GB WD + 120Gb HyperX savage|| Monitor: Dell U2412M+LG 24MP55HQ+Philips TV ||  PSU CX600M || 

So I noticed your guest had Beats By  Dr Dre headphones on, and I don't want to be judgmental, but I immediately didn't take anything he said seriously upon noticing this. Can't help it.

Really ??? he is a great reviewer and he isn't an audiophile he found beats great for him and he liked it, I don't think liking a product makes him an idiot.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Dang it Linus! Why cant you guys start the wan show at like, 11:30pm pst, then I would actually be able to watch it live!

Oh well, guess I'll have to watch it on YouTube in the morning

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

Jon Rettinger! :D I like him on the show. He's more talk into the show.

Computing enthusiast. 
I use to be able to input a cheat code now I've got to input a credit card - Total Biscuit

Linus! Rename the Guest it would save your ass. 

Really ??? he is a great reviewer and he isn't an audiophile he found beats great for him and he liked it, I don't think liking a product makes him an idiot.

Lol I had no idea who he was but I'm like

yea

a tech youtuber who wears beats even though youtube comments probably destroy him for it....

my problem is never with bad headphones, but bad headphones that cost a lot, well... I mean it's like paying lambo prices for a ford pinto. I would think a  tech youtuber would do a little more research

And I acknowledge that It's a stupid judgement.  

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

New shirt design does absolutely nothing for me.

Actually I love the gold of the macbook... Linus the difference is that Asus used a freaking ugly gold... In my opinion the all red MSI laptop is way more ugly. 

Lol I had no idea who he was but I'm like

yea

a tech youtuber who wears beats even though youtube comments probably destroy him for it....

my problem is never with bad headphones, but bad headphones that cost a lot, well... I mean it's like paying lambo prices for a ford pinto. I would think a  tech youtuber would do a little more research

And I acknowledge that It's a stupid judgement.

They aren't just bad there little base heavy and look great and comfortable, they maybe overpriced but not bad.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

@LinusTech

@Slick

Just an FYI guys. Both last weeks and this weeks WAN Show videos have pretty bad stuttering/dropped frame? issues. Like every 2 to 3 mins the video will freeze up for 10 - 20 seconds (sound carries on as normal) then jump forward and catch up with the sound again before carrying on.

It only started last week and I watch on Youtube using FF and HTML5.

Maybe when you redid the capture system you missed something?

EDIT

Hmm, ok so it appears the problem is when you guys are Skyping, Luke was in Skype all last weeks shows and you had John on today. As soon as John finished the Skype call the dropped frames stopped.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

You could replace 'Apple Watch' with 'iPad' in the opening discussion and it would be the same type of critique as when the iPad just launched. 

"I'm not allowing you to like this."

𝙶𝚊𝚖𝚎𝚜 𝚊𝚛𝚎 𝚙𝚛𝚎𝚝𝚝𝚢 𝚌𝚘𝚘𝚕

And a friendly reminder to never bother reading the comment section if Apple was mentioned in the video. Oh boy.

Ok... Take this from a goldsmith. Karat for gold works as follows:

24k is "pure" gold (though usually 99,99%), so 24k is not an alloy. 18k means that 18/24th (of the mass) of the alloy is gold (the rest traditionally being equal parts of silver and copper). This is how it has worked for centuries, but if Apple wants to save up by using less gold, that's fine.

As far as I understand from the Leancrew article it's still 18k, but they're using workarounds to validate this. They're doing it by creating an alloy with boron carbide, which is "heavier" than the usual silver/copper additives.

That's essentially fine, but it will reduce the value of the alloy overall. And for "recycling" the gold for other uses, this makes it almost completely useless. So yes, it's still 18k, but the overall value of the item is greatly reduced.

LinusTechTips  u are sponsored by  square space but don't u agree that WordPress is much more better.... :/

seriously you do not agree with him ????? ..... beats by dre are purchased just by show offs and the ones having no knowledge in tech

seriously you do not agree with him ????? ..... beats by dre are purchased just by show offs and the ones having no knowledge in tech

Nope, Jhon knows a lot in tech and he isn't a showoff, he fucking likes those headphones, just because he likes him doesn't make him an idiot.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

Asked my friend for what ports he uses on his laptop. "Umm…Power?" My use case for a laptop isn't unlike; sometimes I could see myself charging multiple devices at the same time. I get MacBook is not for the usual tech people but everyone already knew that. Props to Luke for bringing sense and perspective multiple times to the conversation.

Also, about the WATCH Edition having less gold…you say they’re mixing gold with low-density ceramic particles rather than silver, copper, and other metals, yet in their Gold video they talk about how the different hues are created by adjusting the amount of silver, copper and palladium. Are you saying they don't have those materials at all? Am I being clueless? To me this looks like big assumptions.

ps. I don't wanna even play TF2 anymore after all the bugs in the game and Steam on OS X that went unfixed for many months despite numerous complaints on Steam forums. What feels like every few weeks I hear horror stories about new bugs that keep popping up: Steam browser not working (again) or framerate dropping from 60+ to 6 if an opponent has certain characters in their names…worst apps I've had to use.

pps. The market for WATCH Edition is mainly rich Chinese people.

The most interesting part for me is hearing your opinion on leaks and rumors , talking about the amd 300 benchmarks or the 370 would've been entertaining for the audience, unless you're under nda