Microsoft to Allow Cross-Platform Gaming on PC and Xbox One

AlexGoesHigh

Head of Xbox Phil Spencer also notes Xbox Live games may be available on Steam

At GDC, head of Xbox Phil Spencer gave a talk about what Microsoft has in store for gaming on Windows 10, touching on DirectX 12, the Xbox Live app for windows, and the ID@Xbox indie game initiative. His talk included a few announcements: Microsoft is finally working on a PC dongle for the Xbox One wireless controller, and a new Windows 10 universal app store will support cross-platform play (and cross-buy!) between PC and Xbox One.

PCG: The universal app store brought to mind, for me, the Windows 8 app store, which got you guys in some hot water a couple years ago. A lot of gamers freaked out at the initial prospect that everything was going to have to go through that store. That they wouldn't be able to use Steam anymore. That's not how it panned out, but I know there's still some sensitivity.

Spencer: That's why I showed Steam in January. I wanted to show that Steam is going to work on Windows 10. My Steam games that I own now on Windows 8 will be there when I go to Windows 10. I think it's critical that we don't have that plan. Windows is a platform that developers deploy to. We know that. I think that's great. That's how things like Minecraft were born.

PCG: So for games like #IDARB for example, or Pinball FX which is going to have cross-buy, would those games be able to be on Steam?

Spencer: Sure, they can put their games on Steam.

PCG: So the universal app stuff, cross-platform play, cross-buy, would still work side-by-side with Steam?

Spencer: I don't want to announce Steam features, because there's obviously policy and things that they have. Just like Apple does and everybody else. There's nothing bad about Steam and how they sell their games. I think we should wait until we have a formal [statement of] 'hey what does Steam want?' They've heard our plans because we've been talking to them about them. But in terms of what they're going to allow on their store, I think that's a question you'd ask of them.

We're not trying to say that the only way you'll get games is through the Windows store. Does Steam want to sell Xbox Live games? That's a question for them. Do they want to sell universal app Windows 10 games? Again, I think it's something we'll have to work with them on, and other stores that are out there. But we want to make sure that built into the operating system with the Windows store, there is a store that developers like Other Ocean, they're small, they want to develop their game as easily as they can, reach the broadest set of customers possible. We're trying to give them a mechanism, if you're an Xbox Live DirectX universal app, it's going to be very easy to reach multiple [platforms].

And not everyone will choose to be universal apps. I just want to make it as easy as possible. But it's not to shut down Steam. I think Steam will exist for many many years.

Source:http://www.pcgamer.com/phil-spencer-interview-we-ignored-what-was-going-on-with-windows-to-launch-xbox/Other Sources:

Click here to view the article

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

Imagine if CS:GO was cross platform.. God i wish it was.

not me really, unless all you want is farm kills and hear someone say that they banged your mom, in all seriousness, outside of shooters, there's hardly no reason why games cannot be cross platform multiplayer

this is one of the greatest thing that has happened to me recently, and it happened on this forum, those involved have my eternal gratitude http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/198850-update-alex-got-his-moto-g2-lets-get-a-moto-g-for-alexgoeshigh-unofficial/ :')

i use to have the second best link in the world here, but it died ;_; its a 404 now but it will always be here

You forgot the /s tag. Some people don't actually know that it's out for xbox 360 and ps3.

not me really, unless all you want is farm kills and hear someone say that they banged your mom, in all seriousness, outside of shooters, there's hardly no reason why games cannot be cross platform multiplayer

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

There's no need for them to work with Steam. Just make a separate service. Make a better service. And no one will care. It's not like Steam is (or should be) the end all be all.

It seems like Phil Spencer really does care about gaming, both PC and Xbox.

Every topic I post in dies.

If Live and Steam worked together in one app. With the same games. All on the DirectX 12 platform. 

It would be great. 

no

u would trust Microsoft with pc gaming ?

Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.1 Corinthians 13:4

Cross platform gaming is bad.  Sorry but I don't want people playing with controllers playing with people who are using a keyboard and mouse. 

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

Cross platform gaming is bad.  Sorry but I don't want people playing with controllers playing with people who are using a keyboard and mouse. 

i think certain game types would be okay cross platform. like racing games. maybe some platformers. but games like FPS, no definately keep them off cross platform multiplayer. the poor console peasants would constantly call hacks on us

Games can have a filtering system. And can identify players if they use keyboard or controller.

Remember that there is nothing that stop me from using a controller when playing PC games either.

i think certain game types would be okay cross platform. like racing games. maybe some platformers. but games like FPS, no definately keep them off cross platform multiplayer. the poor console peasants would constantly call hacks on us

Unless they're good. I mean I've only played a few shooters on my PC with a controller but every time I do I usually do just as well as I do with keyboard and mouse. I'm not super amazing but I'm alright. Definitely wanna try Halo with keyboard and mouse as I'm always in the top two of my team in the halo 4 playlist on MCC.

You forgot the /s tag.

Announcing that you are being sarcastic is like detailing your april fool's plans on march 31st.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

GOD NO.... FUFSDFCGVSXFGBVDFGHBD No.... NO...

272.gif

Security Analyst & Tech Enthusiast

Ask me anything.

I don't get why people are afraid. And I don't get the separation between PC gamers and console.

If you think keyb/mouse is better, so be it, you'll trash them.

Also, you need to consider that the game needs to be on BOTH systems in the first place.

The vast majority of owned PC games are locked to Steam. Good luck competing with it.

Valve doesn't ask for exclusivity when games are put on steam. Devs/publishers at free to simultaneously put their games on other distribution platforms. So it's a question of how effectively Microsoft can court the game studios to release new games via windows store.

Could be a good idea, though I honestly don't see this happening.

I don't get why people are afraid. And I don't get the separation between PC gamers and console.
If you think keyb/mouse is better, so be it, you'll trash them.

Also, you need to consider that the game needs to be on BOTH systems in the first place.

You probably won't ever get it, either. Logic and the like hardly applies to PC Master Race/CMR folk.

|  The United Empire of Earth Wants You | The Stormborn (ongoing build; 90% done)  |  Skyrim Mods Recommendations  LTT Blue Forum Theme! | Learning Russian! Blog |
|"They got a war on drugs so the police can bother me.”Tupac Shakur  | "Half of writing history is hiding the truth"Captain Malcolm Reynolds | "Museums are racist."Michelle Obama | "Slap a word like "racist" or "nazi" on it and you'll have an army at your back."MSM Logic | "A new command I give you: love one another. As I have loved you, so you must love one another"Jesus Christ | "I love the Union and the Constitution, but I would rather leave the Union with the Constitution than remain in the Union without it."Jefferson Davis |

Surprising turn of events, given how Gaben shat all over MS and Windows for being detrimental to gaming and all other manner of tripe that he had said.

He did refer to Balmer's era crap though, maybe with Nadella he wants to revisit? Who knows

-------

Current Rig

-------

Unless they're good. I mean I've only played a few shooters on my PC with a controller but every time I do I usually do just as well as I do with keyboard and mouse. I'm not super amazing but I'm alright. Definitely wanna try Halo with keyboard and mouse as I'm always in the top two of my team in the halo 4 playlist on MCC.

There was an article about it circling around on the Internet a few years ago about it. Microsoft was testing cross-platform play for the Xbox. They took professional console games (from tournaments like MLG) and random PC gamers (just your average Joe), and the PC gamers were humiliating the console gamers.

There is just no way that someone with a controller can keep up with a mouse/keyboard player in an FPS game. A controller is simply terrible for aiming with. That's why games like Halo not only has a very high degree of auto aim (basically aimbot) but also something they call "bullet magnetism".

Very interesting statement from Microsoft. It seems like they really have changed mentality since Ballmer left. I am not a fan of Steam (other than their low prices) but a lot of what he said seems to apply to other stores as well, and it shows a very positive change in the way Microsoft handles things.

DRSovrk.gif

Hell no

The CSGO community is bad enough

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch