Apple Watch Event - Live Coverage (Watch + Retina Air + Retina Macbook + HBO Now + ResearchKit) UPDATED

The new Macbook colour scheme look good, i believe apple will be refreshing their Air and Pro with those colour, I guess i will have to turn back to the pebble time rather than Apple Watch as its too expensive, close to $1K for the stainless steel model.

Gaming Rig: Intel i5-2400  |  Z68 Pro 3 Gen 3  |  8GB RAM  | Gigabyte R9-270X 4GB | Corsair Graphite 600T white edition | CMStorm Rapid I (blue Switch) | Razer Deathadder

Mobile Devices: Macbook Air 13" | iPad Mini (1st Gen) | iPhone 6 128GB | www.nic-koh.com

So are apple competing with themselves now for the thinnest notebook?  I'm not sure the new macbook has a place anywhere.  It's more expensive than the air and the pro, doesn't have nearly the same IO and has nearly the same spec for a similarly priced macbook air or pro.

Excuse me for not getting all caught up just yet but could someone tell me if Apple updated the regular Air (not the super uber thin one) with a higher resolution screen?

I was expecting.... well I don't know what I was expecting, but this isn't it. I was going to buy one today to play league but it won't even fucking run league. This thing is pathetic. 

I don't think it's fair to say that Core M is slow just looking at the base frequency. Like the ulv processors, which are no slouch btw, they also have turbo clocks that are usually pretty easy to hit and sustain. Comparing the 5250U used, or rather going into, in the Air to the M-5Y31 in the new Macbook, it's 1.6ghz vs 1.1ghz (configurable TDP-up from the 900mhz) and boost frequencies of 2.7ghz vs 2.4ghz, the difference isn't going to be that significant. The one thing that is surprising and puzzling to me is that battery life figures aren't up so significantly compared to Broadwell based Windows laptop, maybe due to the over-exaggeration that Windows manufacturers fabricate since for apple, what they claim for battery life numbers are usually the bare minimum that you would get, or close to what you would get. But I guess manufacturers other than Apple use what seems like idle battery life for their battery claims rather than specific use cases.

Comparison link: http://ark.intel.com/compare/84984,84666

I was expecting.... well I don't know what I was expecting, but this isn't it. I was going to buy one today to play league but it won't even fucking run league. This thing is pathetic. 

I'm sure it'll run league just fine with maybe around of 5-6 hours of league battery life based on my experiences with haswell ulv (core m will do much better in power consumption).

I'm sure it'll run league just fine with maybe around of 5-6 hours of league battery life based on my experiences with haswell ulv (core m will do much better in power consumption).

I very seriously doubt it will even run league. 1.2 or 1.3 ghz clock speed isn't enough and the turbo mode clocks to 2.9ghz but there is no fan so it can't turbo for a long time and on board graphics. This thing is 7 days. 

I very seriously doubt it will even run league. 1.2 or 1.3 ghz clock speed isn't enough and the turbo mode clocks to 2.9ghz but there is no fan so it can't turbo for a long time and on board graphics. This thing is 7 days. 

My i5 4200U has a base clock of 1.6ghz, turbo of 2.6 one core, 2.3 two core. It's able to run league at max settings but with no shadows 1366x768 at about 60-100fps. I'm sure that Broadwell and Core M with better graphics will achieve better performance and better battery life while doing it. Gaming on OS X won't be that enjoyable unless you Bootcamp though as mouse acceleration is annoying there. However, you can install Smoothmouse to correct that. 

Edit: Core M with TDP-up to 6W should be easily cooled and handled with an all aluminum body since iirc, tablets are usually in the area of 5W. 

Whoever came up with the Watch's naming scheme needs to be FIRED.

"hey i tried bought apple watch"

"which one?"

"the sports edition."

"so the sport or the edition?"

"the sports edition"

"which one? the sport or the edition?"

I don't know what the rest of you guys think, but the new MacBook seems kind of pointless to me. I'm not sure why it was made.

pointless? no, but (in its current state) it isn't for the mass.

It is incredible small and light, yet packs decent amount of battery, a superb display and a fullsize keyboard. Perfect for people on the move.

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

Edit: Core M with TDP-up to 6W should be easily cooled and handled with an all aluminum body since iirc, tablets are usually in the area of 5W.

I doubt that it will be able to stay at turbo clocks for any substantial amount of time. I mean, there is no fan. It will be interesting to see the real (read: not Verge or other sites like that) reviews for it.

the regular 42mm watch is 499$. the same regular watch with steel band 999$

fcking 500$ for a band??

It's not just the band, the Watch with the steel band is also made of different materials.  It has a stainless steel body, and sapphire screen.

educate yourself

My i5 4200U has a base clock of 1.6ghz, turbo of 2.6 one core, 2.3 two core. It's able to run league at max settings but with no shadows 1366x768 at about 60-100fps. I'm sure that Broadwell and Core M with better graphics will achieve better performance and better battery life while doing it. Gaming on OS X won't be that enjoyable unless you Bootcamp though as mouse acceleration is annoying there. However, you can install Smoothmouse to correct that. 

1366 maybe but 1440p no. It isn't going to run as smooth as I need it to.

I doubt that it will be able to stay at turbo clocks for any substantial amount of time. I mean, there is no fan. It will be interesting to see the real (read: not Verge or other sites like that) reviews for it.

I'll either buy one and try it myself or be "that guy" at the apple store installing league and playing a couple games. 

Welp, a man can hope right? I guess all it really boils down to is does Core M run hot (pre refresh desktop Haswell hot) while only dissipating 6W of heat when the TDP is configured up and can the chassis dissipate more than 6W of heat. If yes and yes, that would be great. 

Everything looks pretty good, but those new Macbooks look absolutely terrible...

If anybody is after a new perspective on the new macbook - lets compare it to similar laptops

Lenovo Yoya 3 Pro, Same (or similar) 1.1ghz intel core M, $1300

http://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-Yoga-3-Pro-Convertible-Review.129882.0.html

performance conclusion from review "our general application performance measurements communicate a very snappy machine with little reason to keep its user waiting during typical use"

Lets not forget the insane SSDs apple normally put in their laptops - so I think for general users doing normal tasks, it should be snappy and quick, and given how well OSX handles speed and smoothness

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

It's not just the band, the Watch with the steel band is also made of different materials.  It has a stainless steel body, and sapphire screen.

educate yourself

no no its not. so the 38mm apple watch with sapphire glass,stainless steel case with a sport band is 549$ . the same exact apple watch(sapphire glass,stainless steel case) but with a metal band instead of sport band is 949$. so yeah,its just the band

scroll down at the bottom in your own link and see. ''a range of stylish bands'' is the only thing that differentiate the steel apple watch

The asus ux305 has an intel core M too and it can barely get 20 fps in Age Of Empires at HD. In Dirt 3 , at HD and the lowest settings, it was barely pushing more than 5fps.

In another review, the Yoga 3 Pro(same intel core M, still fanless) managed to run LoL at 1080p on the lowest settings with 8-18 fps.

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

It's not macbook air it's just the new "Macbook" the air still exists

Fedex Ground must be on Horse back, It took 7 days to go 200 miles

For those who said that the core M is fast due to the turbo boost clock speed.

I don't think you guys have used a U series CPU on battery, where there is no turbo boost. And assuming you want max battery life. What do you do in Windows? You set the power system to Power Saver, and now the CPU would be lock at it's slower speed (usually around 800MHz for the currently release U series CPUs). It's slow. Very slow.

I actually really like the look of the new MacBook. I kinda want one, especially for when I'm on the go.

5950X | NH D15S | 64GB 3200Mhz | RTX 3090 | ASUS PG348Q+MG278Q

@Victorious Secret - thought this might be related 

You'll need this $79 USB Type-C adapter to use most current accessories with Apple's new MacBook

The new MacBook is here and it's the thinnest ever, partly thanks to the fact that it uses a single USB Type-C (or USB-C for short) port for charging, doing away with the usual MacSafe port. That's the good news.

The bad news is the laptop also uses that port for everything else: it has no other peripheral ports. And this means in order to use it with any existing peripheral devices, including external storage devices, thumb drives and external displays, you need an adapter. In comes the USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter.

Apple is pricing the adapter at $79 in the US, £65 in the UK and AU$119 in Australia.

This adapter has one standard Type-C USB connector on one end, to connect to the notebook, and on the other end it has a Type-C USB port, an HDMI port and a Type A USB port. It allows you to connect your MacBook's USB-C port to an HDMI display, while also connecting a standard USB device and a USB-C charging cable.

Since USB-C features USB 3.1 standard with the bandwidth of 10Gbps (comparable to the speed of the original Thunderbolt), the computer's single USB-C port is capable of handling multiple devices at time, both in terms of data and power connections. 

According to Apple, the adapter allows for mirroring the MacBook display to an HDMI-enabled display with up to 1080p resolution. It can also output video content like movies and captured video. You do need an HDMI cable (not included) to make this work.

The use of USB-C not only makes the new MacBook cool and future proof, it also shows the power and potential of USB-C. However, before USB-C becomes more widely available with devices supporting it natively, adapters such as this multiport are a must. Without it, the new laptop is incompatible with most, if not all existing peripheral devices on the market.

Source : http://www.theverge.com/2015/3/9/8177087/macbook-port-adapter-accessory

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

waiting for Monoprice USB type C adapter with even more ports and cost less than Apple's adapter with just 3 ports.

The Mac looks good but I'm not paying 1k for a dual core 1.something ghz cpu

Longboarders/ skaters message me!