13700KF overheating with a NH-D15

Go to solution Solved by RevGAM,

Look, you really should get the bend correction frame. The high temps your CPU can reach actually cause it to warp over time, which is bad.

If it is unstable, just increase the voltage a tiny amount and try again until it's stable. 

Hey y'all. My 13700kf recently started to get quite hot (quite frankly, I do not know if this is recent, or if it's been like this for a while). it sits at around 60c idle with spikes to 70c (the "package" on CPUID monitor), and when gaming it will easily hit 100c. I have a well ventilated case with 4 fans, and plenty of room for exhaust and intake. The cpu is paired with a noctua nh-d15, with, dare i say, too much thermal paste. could the overheating be because the cpu is turbo'ing its pants off, or is there a more serious issue? i am dont know a lot about computers, and all the trouble shooting i know, ive tried. (cleaning, adding thermal paste, playing with fan curves in bios.). thanks for the help 🙂

6 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

Hey y'all. My 13700kf recently started to get quite hot (quite frankly, I do not know if this is recent, or if it's been like this for a while). it sits at around 60c idle with spikes to 70c (the "package" on CPUID monitor), and when gaming it will easily hit 100c. I have a well ventilated case with 4 fans, and plenty of room for exhaust and intake. The cpu is paired with a noctua nh-d15, with, dare i say, too much thermal paste. could the overheating be because the cpu is turbo'ing its pants off, or is there a more serious issue? i am dont know a lot about computers, and all the trouble shooting i know, ive tried. (cleaning, adding thermal paste, playing with fan curves in bios.). thanks for the help 🙂

common issue with 13/14th gen i7s and i9s, try undervolting it a little, it should help it

17 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

could the overheating be because the cpu is turbo'ing its pants off,

that could be possible, depends on the game,

it could be that the cooler isn't completely properly mounted, it could be just a really hot CPU because it's high end 13th gen Intel

Note: Users receive notifications after Mentions & Quotes. 

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

Ryzen 5 5600 |16GB DDR4 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

PCs I used before:

1. Pentium G4500 | 4GB/8GB DDR4 2133Mhz | H110 | GTX 1050
  2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050
  3. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz | 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1080 ti

On the one hand, you have a furnace of a CPU, on the other, idle at 60 is high. I'd check mounting pressure on that cooler and the fancurves

5950X/3080Ti primary rig  |  1920X/1070Ti Unraid for dockers  |  200TB TrueNAS w/ 1:1 backup

57 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

LGA1700 socket applies asymmetrical force to the CPU, which results in poor contact. The solution for the higher end chips like the i7 and i9 is to use a Contact Frame that replaces the ILM. That should mitigate the issue.

Ryzen 7950x3D Direct Die NH-D15, CCD1 disabled

RTX 4090 @133%/+230/+500

Builder/Enthusiast/Overclocker since 2012  //  Professional IT since 2017

1 hour ago, bal723 said:

common issue with 13/14th gen i7s and i9s, try undervolting it a little, it should help it

I was thinking about doing this, but I am quite afraid of messing with bios settings that change the cpu config. I suppose I will do this cause I don’t want to buy any other special sockets or anything. And also, I’ve bottomed out my noctua’s mounting screws this time. Helped a bit, still bad. I suppose this will be my “temporary” solution I will keep for ever.  Do you have any video guides on how to undervolt my chip? Thanks. 

1 hour ago, Tom300 said:

I was thinking about doing this, but I am quite afraid of messing with bios settings that change the cpu config. I suppose I will do this cause I don’t want to buy any other special sockets or anything. And also, I’ve bottomed out my noctua’s mounting screws this time. Helped a bit, still bad. I suppose this will be my “temporary” solution I will keep for ever.  Do you have any video guides on how to undervolt my chip? Thanks. 

some motherboards have CPU behaviour modes based on CPU cooler, if your MB has that feature, you could choose a more mild mode that's used for low-end air coolers, so that your higher end cooler can pull work,

3 hours ago, Tom300 said:

I have a well ventilated case with 4 fans,

room in case is nice, but what about in and out? does the case have mesh front? if not you could try removing side-panel and seeing if it helps with temps, but that would only help if your case had bad airflow for some reason

Feel free to ask any questions regarding my comments/build lists. I know a lot about PCs but not everything.

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2. Ryzen 3 1200 3,5Ghz / OC:4Ghz | 8GB DDR4 2133Mhz / 16GB 3200Mhz | B450 | GTX 1050

14 hours ago, podkall said:

some motherboards have CPU behaviour modes based on CPU cooler, if your MB has that feature, you could choose a more mild mode that's used for low-end air coolers, so that your higher end cooler can pull work,

room in case is nice, but what about in and out? does the case have mesh front? if not you could try removing side-panel and seeing if it helps with temps, but that would only help if your case had bad airflow for some reason

I have the fan curves set to “turbo”, which turns the fan to the max speed at around 70c. The case has 3 intake (filtered) fans, and one unfiltered exhaust. There is also a filtered hole for a 240mil fan so there is enough exhaust too. 

10 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

I have the fan curves set to “turbo”, which turns the fan to the max speed at around 70c. The case has 3 intake (filtered) fans, and one unfiltered exhaust. There is also a filtered hole for a 240mil fan so there is enough exhaust too. 

what's the case?

current PC:

PCs I used before:

2 hours ago, podkall said:

what's the case?

Asus gt301. for now i have undervolted the chip, and it maxes out at around 87c. but i have notices stability problems, as it did bluescreen once.

8 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

Asus gt301. for now i have undervolted the chip, and it maxes out at around 87c. but i have notices stability problems, as it did bluescreen once.

yes, undervolting means  trying to run same speed while using less juice,

that looks like a decent airflow case, I'd still try taking the sidepanel off and seeing if it helps with temps or not, if the jump isn't too big with the panel off, it's not the case,

does your NHD-15 come with 1 or 2 fans?

and are your fans configured in a way they don't steal air from the air cooler, for example:

image.png.e0d5e12e2e0841843d81c08468aa4e45.png

current PC:

PCs I used before:

1 hour ago, podkall said:

yes, undervolting means  trying to run same speed while using less juice,

that looks like a decent airflow case, I'd still try taking the sidepanel off and seeing if it helps with temps or not, if the jump isn't too big with the panel off, it's not the case,

does your NHD-15 come with 1 or 2 fans?

and are your fans configured in a way they don't steal air from the air cooler, for example:

image.png.e0d5e12e2e0841843d81c08468aa4e45.png

hey, yes the noctua has 2 fans. thanks for the diagram, but in my case, there are no fans on top, three fans in front and the one in the back. no fresh air is being stolen for the most part.

29 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

hey, yes the noctua has 2 fans. thanks for the diagram, but in my case, there are no fans on top, three fans in front and the one in the back. no fresh air is being stolen for the most part.

then comes to a question you can still try the sidepanel off thing, one thing is getting fresh air in, and another thing is getting the hot air out

current PC:

PCs I used before:

Look, you really should get the bend correction frame. The high temps your CPU can reach actually cause it to warp over time, which is bad.

If it is unstable, just increase the voltage a tiny amount and try again until it's stable. 

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂

Undervolting is like overclocking,  you can generate calculation errors which would lead to instability and even data corruption. It's not just something you just do and it's done. It required testing, preferably with a temporary Windows install!

Just now, daygeckoart said:

Undervolting is like overclocking,  you can generate calculation errors which would lead to instability and even data corruption. It's not just something you just do and it's done. It required testing, preferably with a temporary Windows install!

Ive the computer the same way as I’ve always been using it, and it seems to be stable now, and temps don’t go over 80c. It only bsod once right after the undervolt. Everything seems to be fine 🙂

8 minutes ago, Tom300 said:

Ive the computer the same way as I’ve always been using it, and it seems to be stable now, and temps don’t go over 80c. It only bsod once right after the undervolt. Everything seems to be fine 🙂

After the BSOD, did you increase the voltage slightly, or did your system automatically reset to the either the previous setting or the system default?

I've been using computers since around 1978, started learning programming in 1980 on Apple IIs, started learning about hardware in 1990, ran a BBS from 1990-95, built my first Windows PC around 2000, taught myself malware removal starting in 2005 (also learned on Bleeping Computer), learned web dev starting in 2017, and I think I can fill a thimble with all that knowledge. 😉 I'm not an expert, which is why I keep investigating the answers that others give to try and improve my knowledge, so feel free to double-check the advice I give.

My phone's auto-correct is named Otto Rong.🤪😂