Apple Watch Event - Live Coverage (Watch + Retina Air + Retina Macbook + HBO Now + ResearchKit) UPDATED

The Mac looks good but I'm not paying 1k for a dual core 1.something ghz cpu

The same arguments being levelled against the Macbook now are roughly what people gave the Air shit for back then.

Look at how that one went. 

The same arguments being levelled against the Macbook now are roughly what people gave the Air shit for back then.

Look at how that one went. 

And this new Macbook has even lower performance than the Macbook Air. It's almost as if Apple are testing how much pain their users can take before abandoning them.

"They were okay with 1.6GHz? Let's see if they are okay with 1.1GHz..."

And this new Macbook has even lower performance than the Macbook Air. It's almost as if Apple are testing how much pain their users can take before abandoning them.

"They were okay with 1.6GHz? Let's see if they are okay with 1.1GHz..."

You very well know you can't compare clock speeds like that, that is disingenuous at best. 

You very well know you can't compare clock speeds like that, that is disingenuous at best. 

You can when they have the same architecture, and I am pretty sure they have.

The new Macbook Air is fan-less, no? Was probably necessary to drop the clocks to keep the heat down.

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

The new Macbook Air is fan-less, no? Was probably necessary to drop the clocks to keep the heat down.

The new Macbook Air?

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB

The worst part about the new Macbook has to be the 480p camera. Like, WTF? Retina display, crazy tiered battery, and they can't even be assed to put in an HD camera??

Fractal Core 1000. Rosewill Capstone 450. EVGA P55 Micro. i5-750 @4.0 Ghz. Hyper 212+. EVGA GTX 670. 2x 4GB Corsair Vengance 1600. Corsair Force 120. Misc storage drives.

The Mac looks good but I'm not paying 1k for a dual core 1.something ghz cpu

I'm running the dual core i7-4500U at 1.8GHz. Granted, I get a boost up to 3GHz when plugged into the wall. Knowing the battery life of my machine, I would be OK with downclocking a little further for a bit more battery life, since I mainly use my ultrabook for school rather than gaming or editing.

Anyway, at 1.8GHz I get everything done and running fine, I have no complaints with it. Not the best for media editing, but this is a friggin ultrabook, I don't seriously edit on this machine. That's what my desktop is for lol, desktop i7 versus mobile ULV i7, WHICH DO I WANNA USE?

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

I'm running the dual core i7-4500U at 1.8GHz. Granted, I get a boost up to 3GHz when plugged into the wall. Knowing the battery life of my machine, I would be OK with downclocking a little further for a bit more battery life, since I mainly use my ultrabook for school rather than gaming or editing.

Anyway, at 1.8GHz I get everything done and running fine, I have no complaints with it. Not the best for media editing, but this is a friggin ultrabook, I don't seriously edit on this machine. That's what my desktop is for lol, desktop i7 versus mobile ULV i7, WHICH DO I WANNA USE?

Desktop 3770k on laptop obv.

K70 RGB

This is confusing, I know.

So the product despite being lighter and small, it NOT the MacBook Air, but simply called the MacBook, despite costing the most, where traditionally the MacBook was the low cost system (plastic body, lower specs, lower resolution screen).

The MacBook Air has a fan

The new MacBook which was just announced, doesn't have a fan, as that is the idea of the Intel Core M near system on a chip design. It consumes around 5W. So, it doesn't need any cooling solution. It was designed for tablets in minds.

I actually like the new MacBook.

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

I actually like the new MacBook.

Because you want a tablet that has a hard keyboard?

K70 RGB

Because you want a tablet that has a hard keyboard?

Precisely. I don't see the point in having a "mini desktop" unless you have some heavy work to do on the go. In my case, I don't. I'd like something practical like a tablet with a decent os and a keyboard. 

Wishing leads to ambition and ambition leads to motivation and motivation leads to me building an illegal rocket ship in my backyard.

Hmm...I'd rather get the Yoga 3 pro for 300 dollars less...

Specs: 4790k | Asus Z-97 Pro Wifi | MX100 512GB SSD | NZXT H440 Plastidipped Black | Dark Rock 3 CPU Cooler | MSI 290x Lightning | EVGA 850 G2 | 3x Noctua Industrial NF-F12's

Bought a powermac G5, expect a mod log sometime in 2015

Corsair is overrated, and Anime is ruined by the people who watch it

You can when they have the same architecture, and I am pretty sure they have.

The new macbook uses brodwell. The old macbooks still use... whatever came before that. I was hoping they would update the air and the pro (970m pro would be awesome) but no, they can't bother updating them.

The new macbook uses brodwell. The old macbooks still use... whatever came before that. I was hoping they would update the air and the pro (970m pro would be awesome) but no, they can't bother updating them.

Yeah, a 970m in a Macbook? Not happening.

K70 RGB

I love how everyone here seems to jump on the first opportunity they get to hate on Apple.

1st - This is not a macbook air, its a macbook (like the old macbook which was the least powerful).

2nd - The reason it costs more is because of the screen resolution and an ample SSD space - which i feel for $1400 is not an enormous premium over the windows counterparts.

Before I get called for bias, I don't have a single apple product in possession, living and enjoying windows and android. I just seem to feel that the unneeded hate needs to stop.

After doing some research, you are correct.  My apologies.  It appears the MacBook Air and MacBook Pro are being upgraded with newer technologies as well.

http://www.apple.com/mac/

My PC specifications are in my profile.

For those who said that the core M is fast due to the turbo boost clock speed.

I don't think you guys have used a U series CPU on battery, where there is no turbo boost. 

I have an Air with a i5-3317U ... does that count?

From what I have read so far the Core M is in the same ballpark, which means it is plenty for what the Macbook is intended for.

Also no Turbo Boost on Battery? what are you smoking?

TD7hJwi.png

Mini-Desktop: NCASE M1 Build Log
Mini-Server: M350 Build Log

the macbook air and 13" pro use broadwell also ...

there are no quad core broadwells out yet -> 15" model hasn't been updated.

the macbook air and 13" pro use broadwell also ...

there are no quad core broadwells out yet -> 15" model hasn't been updated.

Well yea, I don't understand why people think apple is just gonna shove random crap into the 15" for no reason. They're either waiting around for Broadwell Iris Pro quad core i7s to show up OR they're gonna jump right on the Skylake bandwagon with TB3 so they can roll out a 5K panel without need fancy custom controllers. 

Either way, the 15" simply carries too high a spec list to just be updated with lower grade chips. 

I have an Air with a i5-3317U ... does that count?

From what I have read so far the Core M is in the same ballpark, which means it is plenty for what the Macbook is intended for.

Also no Turbo Boost on Battery? what are you smoking?

Yea ok, Turbo Boost is enabled. My mistake. But it much much harder to kick start it. Opening a software won't really do it.

If I start Civ 5 on battery under PowerSaver, the load time of the game itself takes ages (several minutes). Plugged in, Balance, it is almost like my desktop. Balance on battery, in between, but closer to Power Saver speeds. It's more acceptable.

But if you feel that your programs starts just as fast and responsive as if you were plugged in, then you must be using Netscape Navigator or TelNet, because that is simply not the case with a modern web browser, and modern software. For me, it isn't fast enough. Things needs to be fast, fluid, responsive, and instant. Something I expect after spending out over ~1200$.

But if you think spending 2000$ for PowerPoint presentation speed is a good deal, then good for you.

Freaking two ports on the Macbook?

TWO?  As in 2?  A couple?  Numero dos?  And one is a headphone jack?

You mean I have to lug around one of these with my sexy slim laptop?

r3Z7LOC.jpg

I just think that's a poor user experience.  Kind of ruins the whole thin, light, convenient, stylish idea.  USB-C looks great and all, but would it have killed them to add in some I/O?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Apple is rumored to begin selling overpriced USB-C adapters.

(I'm starting the rumor.)

The new Macbook Air?

This is confusing, I know.

So the product despite being lighter and small, it NOT the MacBook Air, but simply called the MacBook, despite costing the most, where traditionally the MacBook was the low cost system (plastic body, lower specs, lower resolution screen).

The MacBook Air has a fan

The new MacBook which was just announced, doesn't have a fan, as that is the idea of the Intel Core M near system on a chip design. It consumes around 5W. So, it doesn't need any cooling solution. It was designed for tablets in minds.

Thanks for clearing that up. I meant the MacBook, not MacBook Air. My bad. 

My Systems:

Main - Work + Gaming:

Spoiler

Woodland Raven: Ryzen 2700X // AMD Wraith RGB // Asus Prime X570-P // G.Skill 2x 8GB 3600MHz DDR4 // Radeon RX Vega 56 // Crucial P1 NVMe 1TB M.2 SSD // Deepcool DQ650-M // chassis build in progress // Windows 10 // Thrustmaster TMX + G27 pedals & shifter

F@H Rig:

Spoiler

FX-8350 // Deepcool Neptwin // MSI 970 Gaming // AData 2x 4GB 1600 DDR3 // 2x Gigabyte RX-570 4G's // Samsung 840 120GB SSD // Cooler Master V650 // Windows 10

HTPC:

Spoiler

SNES PC (HTPC): i3-4150 @3.5 // Gigabyte GA-H87N-Wifi // G.Skill 2x 4GB DDR3 1600 // Asus Dual GTX 1050Ti 4GB OC // AData SP600 128GB SSD // Pico 160XT PSU // Custom SNES Enclosure // 55" LG LED 1080p TV  // Logitech wireless touchpad-keyboard // Windows 10 // Build Log

Laptops:

Spoiler

MY DAILY: Lenovo ThinkPad T410 // 14" 1440x900 // i5-540M 2.5GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD iGPU + Quadro NVS 3100M 512MB dGPU // 2x4GB DDR3L 1066 // Mushkin Triactor 480GB SSD // Windows 10

WIFE'S: Dell Latitude E5450 // 14" 1366x768 // i5-5300U 2.3GHz Dual-Core HT // Intel HD5500 // 2x4GB RAM DDR3L 1600 // 500GB 7200 HDD // Linux Mint 19.3 Cinnamon

EXPERIMENTAL: Pinebook // 11.6" 1080p // Manjaro KDE (ARM)

NAS:

Spoiler

Home NAS: Pentium G4400 @3.3 // Gigabyte GA-Z170-HD3 // 2x 4GB DDR4 2400 // Intel HD Graphics // Kingston A400 120GB SSD // 3x Seagate Barracuda 2TB 7200 HDDs in RAID-Z // Cooler Master Silent Pro M 1000w PSU // Antec Performance Plus 1080AMG // FreeNAS OS

Yea ok, Turbo Boost is enabled. My mistake. But it much much harder to kick start it. Opening a software won't really do it.

oh really? again, you have no clue

aP9Aryd.png

this is a Mac with OS X, so we should talk about how it performs under OS X.

There is no "power saving" mode in OS X and it still is much better in terms of power management then windows.

But if you feel that your programs starts just as fast and responsive as if you were plugged in, then you must be using Netscape Navigator or TelNet, because that is simply not the case with a modern web browser, and modern software.

yes they do and you now have made it clear, that you have no clue about that topic at all.

Freaking two ports on the Macbook?

TWO?  As in 2?  A couple?  Numero dos?  And one is a headphone jack?

You mean I have to lug around one of these with my sexy slim laptop?

I just think that's a poor user experience.  Kind of ruins the whole thin, light, convenient, stylish idea.  USB-C looks great and all, but would it have killed them to add in some I/O?

Also, on a completely unrelated note, Apple is rumored to begin selling overpriced USB-C adapters.

(I'm starting the rumor.)

They probably realized, that most users of small and light notebooks, just don't really use the selection of ports anyway. Also USB-C is an industry wide standard. Apple is one of the first ones to use it in a laptop, but I would think, that we will soon see it in lots of other notebooks and then we will also see lots of cheaper adapters.