Apple Working to Waterproof iPhones

Suika

dsc04762_870px.jpg?w=625

(click for link)

As reported by 9to5mac, Apple applied for a more unique patent for water proofing their devices, which suggests that Apple will be coating the insides of the iPhone with a hydrophobic coating rather than sealing the device which can hurt the functionality.

Rather than make the casing waterproof, Apple’s patent describes a method of waterproofing internal components by integrating a hydrophobic coating with the electromagnetic interference shields used to protect sensitive electronics. This would be a better approach than waterproof casings, which can compromise the design of a phone.

Which will be interesting considering the Apple watch is "showerproof," but honestly a watch should be some degree of waterproof anyway. If the iPhone is waterproof, you can have the whole getup in the shower. Now we just need waterproof clothing, too, and the shower will be a "walk in, walk out" deal, lol.

This is pretty neat, though, considering the Galaxy S5 is only waterproof to a certain degree (up to thirty minutes, in three feet of water), where as this may be even more resistant than the S5, but only time can tell.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Did they really apply for a patent that will pretty much kill Liquipel given they don't allow others to do what they want to do? Because that's what Liquipel does, coat the inside of the device with a hydrophobic coating.

Anyways, I think it's a nice idea.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Did they really apply for a patent that will pretty much kill Liquipel given they don't allow others to do what they want to do? Because that's what Liquipel does, coat the inside of the device with a hydrophobic coating.

I like Liquipel as well, but the costs can get prohibitive if you damage your phone and get a replacement. 

If Apple can integrate this into a assembly line then by all means, go for it. Make it a standard, I would like that. Across all their devices. Especially laptops. 

:( 

But there's an app for this right?! :D

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

But there's an app for this right?! :D

Nah, it was designed into iOS 7! lol

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Now they just need to bend proof and drop proof of their phones.

Specs: CPU - Intel i7 8700K @ 5GHz | GPU - Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming | Motherboard - ASUS Strix Z370-G WIFI AC | RAM - XPG Gammix DDR4-3000MHz 32GB (2x16GB) | Main Drive - Samsung 850 Evo 500GB M.2 | Other Drives - 7TB/3 Drives | CPU Cooler - Corsair H100i Pro | Case - Fractal Design Define C Mini TG | Power Supply - EVGA G3 850W

PLEASE Apple, this would be awesome

Desktop - Corsair 300r i7 4770k H100i MSI 780ti 16GB Vengeance Pro 2400mhz Crucial MX100 512gb Samsung Evo 250gb 2 TB WD Green, AOC Q2770PQU 1440p 27" monitor Laptop Clevo W110er - 11.6" 768p, i5 3230m, 650m GT 2gb, OCZ vertex 4 256gb,  4gb ram, Server: Fractal Define Mini, MSI Z78-G43, Intel G3220, 8GB Corsair Vengeance, 4x 3tb WD Reds in Raid 10, Phone Oppo Reno 10x 256gb , Camera Sony A7iii

Don't those coatings wear off sooner or later? And seriously, Apple buying patent for it straight away.

Asus B85M-G / Intel i5-4670 / Sapphire 290X Tri-X / 16GB RAM (Corsair Value 1x8GB + Crucial 2x4GB) @1333MHz / Coolermaster B600 (600W) / Be Quiet! Silent Base 800 / Adata SP900 128GB SSD & WD Green 2TB & SG Barracuda 1TB / Dell AT-101W / Logitech G502 / Acer G226HQL & X-Star DP2710LED

You already can't change batteries; how much more functionalities are you going to lose?

Anyone who has a sister hates the fact that his sister isn't Kasugano Sora.
Anyone who does not have a sister hates the fact that Kasugano Sora isn't his sister.
I'm not insulting anyone; I'm just being condescending. There is a difference, you see...

And they still aint cold resistant enough.. I have had friends not being able to power on iphones here in northen sweden when it is colder than -20 degrees C..

My Gaming PC

|| CPU: Intel i5 4690@4.3Ghz || GPU: Dual ASUS gtx 1080 Strix. || RAM: 16gb (4x4gb) Kingston HyperX Genesis 1600Mhz. || Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait edition. || OS: Win10 Pro

Trust me, Im an Engineer

A sealed phone being waterproof? Nice idea. Although they where beat by Sony. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

Finally, now I don't have to buy $80 dollar waterproof cases.

CPU: Intel Core I74790k

Will it be microwave proof?

Oh, sorry.  Nothing can be rich, stupidity proof.

Underwater IPhone Videos here I come

xperia z, z1, z1 compact, z2, z3, z3 compact, m4 aqua

msi z97m gaming - i5 4690k @4.4ghz 1.2V corsair h110 powercolor r9 290x pcs+ - 8GB corsair vengeance dual channel @2133mhz - thermaltake smart power se 730watts - intel 530 series 240GB ssd seagate 1tb 7200rpm - corsiar obsidian 350D - 2x enermax tb silence 140mm - logitech x-530 - sony mdr xb600 - medion 24'' 1080P cm storm quickfire tk white edition with cherry mx red cheap but awesome mouse #GloriousPaintMasterRace

No not waterproofing!  I wanted Apple to sink into the deep seas and die one day.  How do we kill Apple now?

Too many ****ing games!  Back log 4 life! :S

No not waterproofing!  I wanted Apple to sink into the deep seas and die one day.  How do we kill Apple now?

What about volcanoes, they're pretty hot O.o:P

a retard-proof phone - now that would be an achievement the masses would truly appreciate

And they still aint cold resistant enough.. I have had friends not being able to power on iphones here in northen sweden when it is colder than -20 degrees C..

Shit, don't most batteries stop working at about -20?

Shit, don't most batteries stop working at about -20?

I'm not supposed to turn my LiPos on below 0 degrees and if I do, strap a warmer onto them...

And my drone batteries are just as smart as iPhone/mobile phone batteries that have to manage themselves. 

Honestly, do people not even bother to understand how things work? Modern batteries that sit in phones and other goods aren't that good once the temperature starts dropping. Its not like they carry high C values either to compensate for the voltage drops under load. 

I'm amazed I even get 70% of the rated flight times out of my lipos when I fly, and I fly in -10 weather. Anything colder and I have zero interest in risking my 130 dollar battery from failing or worse, exploding. 

I can't wait for Apple's and all other manufacturer's patent stashes to expire. Imagine all the cool stuff we would be able to do.

Now they just need to bend proof and drop proof of their phones.

:angry: offs that was a small batch of phones and an assembly line problem, and the apple phones don't bend any more easily than their current competition. And, no one's phones are drop proof.

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

I can't wait for Apple's and all other manufacturer's patent stashes to expire. Imagine all the cool stuff we would be able to do.

110 years later...

Software Engineer for Suncorp (Australia), Computer Tech Enthusiast, Miami University Graduate, Nerd

Liquipel has some patents so Apple coming out with their own shouldn't affect them much. 

Patent 8,852,693

Application 13/838,612

Application 14/079,911

There's more around, but I'm not linking all the expired provisionals, nor am I going to hunt through the inventors and such to see what else there might be.