Clean computer with a hairdryer?

to all the people saying not to do this and get a can of compressed air, my answer is lol

1)Ive done it loaaads of times and no static or whatever, stop being overprotective
2) If you think spending 10-20$ on buying AIR is smart, then wow

Hey there. You are looking mighty fine today, have my virtual cookie!  :ph34r:

MY RIG: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/34911-my-setup-gold-ghetto-gg-lots-of-pictures/#entry446883

Theo, on 03 Jul 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:

Theo, on 03 Jul 2013 - 6:48 PM, said:

to all the people saying not to do this and get a can of compressed air, my answer is lol

1)Ive done it loaaads of times and no static or whatever, stop being overprotective

2) If you think spending 10-20$ on buying AIR is smart, then wow

I am soooo sure that NO person who is as careful as he needs to not be hit by a car has EVER killed an electronic device by static. In fact, I doubt that anyone has damaged something by static. This overprotection has to stop. You could even take every single piece of hardware in the bath tub with you and it will still be fine if you let it dry. (Before you try this with your motherboard pull out the CMOS battery.  :P )

Just make sure that the fans don't spin while you blow on them because that creates voltage.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm

To not spend any money, lol, get a straw and blew air trough it, hahah jk ;)

Try it on cold mode (if yours has one). And to the people about canned air, I use a full blown air compressor in the garage. hehe

Me too, i ended up killing a motherboard and graphics card with it, so caution is advised.

----Ryzen R9 5900X----X570 Aorus elite----Vetroo V5----240GB Kingston HyperX 3k----Samsung 250GB EVO840----512GB Kingston Nvme----3TB Seagate----4TB Western Digital Green----8TB Seagate----32GB Patriot Viper 4 3200Mhz CL 16 ----Power Color Red dragon 5700XT----Fractal Design R4 Black Pearl ----Corsair RM850w----

Try it on cold mode (if yours has one). And to the people about canned air, I use a full blown air compressor in the garage. hehe

your not the only one :)

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

I am soooo sure that NO person who is as careful as he needs to not be hit by a car has EVER killed an electronic device by static. In fact, I doubt that anyone has damaged something by static. This overprotection has to stop. You could even take every single piece of hardware in the bath tub with you and it will still be fine if you let it dry. (Before you try this with your motherboard pull out the CMOS battery.  :P )

Just make sure that the fans don't spin while you blow on them because that creates voltage.

This

People need to stop thinking static is like grim the reaper standing around every corner, waiting for you to even LOOK at your components and ZAP it's dead.

Same goes for water. So many people think water + electronics = nuclear explosion, while, if you let it dry properly, everything is alright.

There's just so much overcomplication surrounding computers and building them it's ridiculous.

How about using vacuum cleaners on the normal setting??That's what i was doing for years and i knew many people who do also..

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day . Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life.”

GUYS STOP SAYING ITS FINE THE HEAT COULD WARP THE PCB'S AND IT COULD CAUSE TONS OF STATIC THAT COULD KILL HIS ENTIRE PC.

%99 percent of hair dryers have a option to remove all heat. chill the fuck out.

• 11 months later...

I am thinking about doing this in a couple of hours, I mean my freaking idle temps are 64c.

I know it's hot but jeez. I haven't cleaned out the cooler or my pc for a while.

And yes I know, huge bump.

UPDATE:

Odd, now the temps dropped to 37-45. (didn't clean yet)

The fuck Mister Ivy. :(

EDIT: and now up to 64 again.

This is not a good idea. I good working PC has good cooling performance. The parts last longest the cooler they are, you want to go now put heat on them.

A water-cooled mid-tier gaming PC.

@Bakgrund I really wouldn't if i were you, don't think about whether a certain operating mode would build static or not, those kinds of things simply build static.

Get a can of compressed air, they're not that expensive anyway. That's not to say that cans of those things don't build static at all, but it's minimal risk compared to things like vacuum cleaners.