Clean computer with a hairdryer?

Is it ok to clean out the dust off your computer with a hairdryer if you turn off the heat? Linus said it's ok to use a vacuum cleaner if you put it on exhaust-mode so i mean, shouldn't a hairdryer also work?

Yep, it should dry up your whoooleeee computer :)

I can't see why not , but make sure it's on the lowest heat setting!

Interested in Business and Technology

i dont see why not. yolo right? 

ps. jokes about the yolo :P

I've actually got no clue but I would do it if I had no other option... reminds me of using my moms hairdryer to clean my 10€ Microsoft keyboard after I spilled coffee on it... worked great!

I wouldn't because you might cause too much of a static buildup don't listen to MarthiniL he doesn't know what hes talking about. Consider getting a can of compressed air.

I can't see why not , but make sure it's on the lowest heat setting!

I've got one that you can turn it off completely so heat is no problem.

Hairdryer should seriously work out fine, if you dont want it than use a compressor, both method should work fine. But remember, keep it on lowest heat setting like everyone said.

I've got one that you can turn it off completely so heat is no problem.

No problem than

Interested in Business and Technology

I wouldn't because you might cause too much of a static buildup don't listen to MarthiniL he doesn't know what hes talking about. Consider getting a can of compressed air.

Yeah that was my worry about it too, I thought I had heard somewhere that vacuum cleaners can short out components, but I'm not sure if hairdryers do the same or how likely it is to happen.

Hmmm...but it seems that it is disputed whether or not hairdryers will do the same thing. Someone on a different forum said that only the ion hairdryers would affect static, but I don't really know what the right answer is.

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

Yeah that was my worry about it too, I thought I had heard somewhere that vacuum cleaners can short out components, but I'm not sure if hairdryers do the same or how likely it is to happen.

Compressed air is the only way for me.

GUYS STOP SAYING ITS FINE THE HEAT COULD WARP THE PCB'S AND IT COULD CAUSE TONS OF STATIC THAT COULD KILL HIS ENTIRE PC.

He said he would turn the heat off... And no need for caps. If it worked for keyboard it should do for the PC also, and just because im junior you dont need to call me unknowing.

Read again, linus said in his techquickie video that it's ok if you put the vacuum cleaner on EXHAUST, i never said a vacuum cleaner doesn't build up static electricity.

He said he would turn the heat off... And no need for caps. If it worked for keyboard it should do for the PC also, and just because im junior you dont need to call me unknowing.

Ok buddy I didn't say because you were a junior that you are unknowing I said it because you didn't even take into consideration that static buildup could occur.

Yeah man go for it but be carfull about Static Electricity. Don't do this on a Carpet if you use a Hoover but if you use the Hairdryer you should be A'ok

Ok buddy I didn't say because you were a junior that you are unknowing I said it because you didn't even take into consideration that static buildup could occur.

Would it be ok if he himself discharges of static electricity?

Read again, linus said in his techquickie video that it's ok if you put the vacuum cleaner on EXHAUST, i never said a vacuum cleaner doesn't build up static electricity.

Thank's for sharing that with me I guess I forgot, I wonder why it doesn't build up static when they are blowing out...I would still be careful with a hairdryer though, even though it might not do anything.

Edited by DrVendetta

CPU: Intel i5 3570k @ 4.5 Ghz Cooler: Hyper 212+ GPU: MSI Twin Frozr 3 7850 Case: HAF 912 RAM: 2x4GB Corsair Vengeance PSU: OCZ Modxstream 600W Motherboard: ASUS P8Z77-LK HDD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda

I have a hairdryer with a "cold mode" (i know it makes no sense...) and i never had any problems using it to clean my PC.

If you have an option to decrease heat in your hairdryer use it without any worries.

If you do not have such option, just keep it a bit further from the motherboard / other hardware. 

Would it be ok if he himself discharges of static electricity?

Its not him that would be causing the static its the hair dryer.

That's a bad idea. The air get's charged in the hairdryer. This is a really really bad idea. Get some canned air and be good with it.

Frost upon these cigarettes.... lipstick on the window pane...

I thought this was going to be a picture of a "Clean" computer with a hair dryer next to it.

Life is pain. Anyone who says any different is either selling something or the government.

----CPU: FX-6300 @ 4.2ghz----COOLER: Hyper 212 EVO----MOBO: MSI 970A-G46----PSU: OCZ 600watt----CASE: Black Corsair C70----GPU: Sapphire 7870 dual fan ghz edtion----2 random HDD'S----A couple fans here and there. Mouse: Gigabyte M6900-------Keyboard: Logitech G105-----Mousepad: Steel series something something.

I do it in cold mode all the time. Don't try it on laptops thought, as their tiny fans are very sensitive and I have ruined one. I also have it always plugged in the outlet just to be sure about electrical charges. Electronic components are not that sensitive once powered off. On the contrary, the canned air I use some times carries liquid propellant through the nozzle and is sprayed all over my keyboard when I clean it.

Why do i always get blue screens? Why not a red one for a change?

Spoiler

CPU: 2920x  GPU: Sapphire HD 7950 Vapor X  MOBO: X399 Taichi  RAM: 4x 8GB Trident Z RGN 3200/14  CASE: 900D  OS SSD: Samsung 960 Evo 512GB  Storage: 20TB NAS  PSU: Corsair RM1000i  CPU COOLER: NH-U14S TR4 OS: Arch Linux Keyboard: Ducky Shine 3 TKL  Mouse: MX Master 2S Headphones: BD DT 770 PRO 250 Ohm