First 64-bit Firefox build released, promising speed boost and beefier web gaming

patrick3027

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2892016/first-64-bit-firefox-build-released-promising-speed-boost-and-beefier-web-gaming.html

While OS X and Linux already have a 64-bit version, Mozilla is just adding a Windows build with 64-bit support now.

[...]

Why this matters: Internet Explorer and Chrome already offer 64-bit browsers, so you might view Firefox as merely hopping on the trend. Still, it's telling that Mozilla called out gaming as a potential application. The group has been a major proponent of gaming in the browser, collaborating with Unity on a tool to port games to the web without plug-ins, and working with Epic Games on a web version of Unreal Engine 4. Powerful web-based gaming has been a dream for years, and 64-bit browsing is a key piece of the puzzle.

Finally ...

Why is SpongeBob the main character when Patrick is the star?

why would i want firefox to now take the rest of my ram too lol

i9 11900k - NH-D15S - ASUS Z-590-F - 64GB 2400Mhz - 1080ti SC - 970evo 1TB - 960evo 250GB - 850evo 250GB - WDblack 1TB - WDblue 3TB - HX850i - 27GN850-B - PB278Q - VX229 - HP P224 - HP P224 - HannsG HT231 - 450D                                                         

why would i want firefox to now take the rest of my ram too lol

what does it running on an x64 instruction set have to do with your RAM usage...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Cyberfox 64 bit AMD build ftw :D

THIS SIGNATURE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

what does it running on an x64 instruction set have to do with your RAM usage...

Waterfox, the beta of 64 bit Firefox ( I think that is the correct name for it) eats a lot of ram, Chrome uses a lot but Waterfox even more. 

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."

Main rig:

i7-4790 - 24GB RAM - GTX 970 - Samsung 840 240GB Evo - 2x 2TB Seagate. - 4 monitors - G710+ - G600 - Zalman Z9U3

Other devices

Oneplus One 64GB Sandstone

Surface Pro 3 - i7 - 256Gb

Surface RT

Server:

SuperMicro something - Xeon e3 1220 V2 - 12GB RAM - 16TB of Seagates 

Waterfox, the beta of 64 bit Firefox ( I think that is the correct name for it) eats a lot of ram, Chrome uses a lot but Waterfox even more.

Mate, I'm regularly hitting ~16 gigs of memory usage with my typical day-to-day web surfing over any given day of the week in Chrome. Swap to Waterfox and that's culled down to like 6 gigs of actual websites and maybe 2-3 gigs of shit like Flash, all bundled nicely together instead of having a whole new "Chrome.exe" instance for each tab opened PLUS each media plugin PLUS all the extensions used to managed the damn web...

Only reason I keep Chrome around is mostly Google's shit that's easier to operate in Chrome than it is Waterfox.

Waterfox is not a beta, besides been the browser I currently use, it's a Firefox based browser that works on 64 bits.

Currently using 700mb with the following tabs 6x LTT, 2x Facebook, 1x Youtube (main page) and the Gmail inbox. Using windows 8.1, and I have 4 extensions  and 3 dictionaries installed.

Mate, I'm regularly hitting ~16 gigs of memory usage with my typical day-to-day web surfing over any given day of the week in Chrome. Swap to Waterfox and that's culled down to like 6 gigs of actual websites and maybe 2-3 gigs of shit like Flash, all bundled nicely together instead of having a whole new "Chrome.exe" instance for each tab opened PLUS each media plugin PLUS all the extensions used to managed the damn web...

Only reason I keep Chrome around is mostly Google's shit that's easier to operate in Chrome than it is Waterfox.

the reason why chrome uses so much is because it actually caches pages in your ram

that's why I like chrome, because it actually USES my available ram for a better experience

when you switch tabs it loads instantly from your ram instead of reloading the web page from scratch like FF does

and anyway if chrome is using 16GB then you need to improve your organization skills, because having more than 50 tabs open at a time is not working efficiently...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

I dont want this... I want MSE support so I can actually watch Youtube Videos @ 1080p and 60FPS in firefox

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Yay..but waiting for spartan because right now: IE is faster than firefox which is faster than chrome.

"Instinct or Rationality; Which will you choose? Enchanted by a superiority complex"

"what you do in spite of internet speed is inspiring. :3" From Cae - 2015

the reason why chrome uses so much is because it actually caches pages in your ram

that's why I like chrome, because it actually USES my available ram for a better experience

when you switch tabs it loads instantly from your ram instead of reloading the web page from scratch like FF does

and anyway if chrome is using 16GB then you need to improve your organization skills, because having more than 50 tabs open at a time is not working efficiently...

More efficient for me to keep 95% of my web browsing open all the time, only closing off tabs when I'm done with them and not going to be refreshing them like 10 minutes later, with as many forums and sites I regularly use. Hell, I have 4 tabs set aside just for managing my Gmail accounts, plus anywhere between 2 & 6 tabs opened for managing YouTube ~BEFORE~ I get to watching videos.

It's rare for me to safe and close EVERYTHING, particularly in a web browser, unless it's something like a storm starting to roll through town (was a weekly occurrence over the period between mid-October & mid-January here) forcing me to safe and run only passive off-drive media in case the power goes out (much easier to reopen Winamp and play a song from the start than it is to reopen a week's worth of browsing after a blackout from a storm).

sounds like you should close some tabs once your'e done :P 

but I do it eats more ram than it should, having ~15 tabs open (8 being youtube) takes up about 5GB of my ram :(

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

sounds like you should close some tabs once your'e done :P 

but I do it eats more ram than it should, having ~15 tabs open (8 being youtube) takes up about 5GB of my ram :(

I'm regularly on at LEAST a half-dozen different forums (each one spanning between 3 & 8 tabs just for the forum sections BEFORE the individual threads), the 2-6 YT tabs BEFORE videos, 4 Gmail tabs... not including things like dArt or the insane timedump that are Wikis... even if I stay away from things like Wikipedia, Cracked.com or TVTropes, I still end up with a fuckton of webpages open (both in active RAM and pagefiles)...

Cyberfox 64 bit AMD build ftw :D

AMD64 does not mean it's built for AMD cpus, that just refers to x86-64. As AMD brought 64bit instructions to x86. 

wrong, wrong, wrong, Waterfox is a branch of Firefox with a different dev team (open-source) that has a reworked web page renderer that supports 64bit instructions. Waterfox has no affiliation with Mozilla. 

Finally! I've been waiting for this so long, finally I can get rid of Chrome.

... instead of reloading the web page from scratch like FF does ...

Completely incorrect, the only time i have seen this is if FF crashed and your restore your 300+tab session. then and only then does it re-load the tab when you click it.

Completely incorrect, the only time i have seen this is if FF crashed and your restore your 300+tab session. then and only then does it re-load the tab when you click it.

well then explain why it takes so much longer to load a previously opened web page in FF than it does in chrome

Spoiler

Finally. Chrome hogs more RAM than FF, so finally time to switch back.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

I personally like chromes use of storing tabs in ram as it is helpful because I need 3-20 active tabs open that won't refresh vs the 300+ tabs maybe I'll use it next week.

A riddle wrapped in an enigma , shot to the moon and made in China

I'll stick with nightly and my comodos. Pale Moon only gets a pass due to better Windows usability than Vanilla, and even then, I'm borked on Youtube.  :P

We all need a daily check-up from the neck up to avoid stinkin' thinkin' which ultimately leads to the hardening of attitudes. - Zig Ziglar

The sad fact about atheists is that they stand for nothing while standing against things that have brought much good to the world. Now ain't that sad. - Anonymous

Replace fear with faith and fear will disappear. - Billy Cox  ......................................Also, Legalism, Education-bred Arrogance and Hubris-based Assumption are BULLSHIT.

I'm regularly on at LEAST a half-dozen different forums (each one spanning between 3 & 8 tabs just for the forum sections BEFORE the individual threads), the 2-6 YT tabs BEFORE videos, 4 Gmail tabs... not including things like dArt or the insane timedump that are Wikis... even if I stay away from things like Wikipedia, Cracked.com or TVTropes, I still end up with a fuckton of webpages open (both in active RAM and pagefiles)...

Sounds like you're having fun. I assume this is how you spend your free time and not when working.

Sound: Custom one pros, Audioengine A5+ with S8 sub.

K70 RGB