DDR3 1600 Is simply not fast enough for Haswell

A great read for everyone who still believes 1600 memory is "Fast Enough"

http://www.corsair.com/en-us/blog/2014/march/haswellrealworld

Core I7 5960X / Gigabyte X99 SOC Force / Kingston 16GB DDR4 3000 / EVGA GTX 980 Classified's In Quad SLI / EVGA 1600W G2

Core I7 6700K / Asus Z170 Maximus VIII Hero / Corsair 16GB DDR4 3000 / MSI R9 290X Lightning / EVGA 1600W T2

It was a cool read, but really.. If this was REALLY true and it REALLY affected everything that much

People would have known. Or at least other tech websites would have said anything about it..

That's just my take on it..

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Try 1333 with my setup.

Nvidia is to Dr Dre Beets as AMD is to KFC.

One makes you broke, the other you can get more of and have a midnight snack from the fridge when hungry again. Once you go Nvidia, you go broked, turn into an Elitist, or get the incorrect amount of VRAM.

- WCCFTECH

I was only 9 years old. I loved Fifflaren so much, I had all the NiP merchandise and matches pirated. I prayed to Fifflaren every night before bed. Thanking him for the life I have been given. Fifflaren is love I say. Fifflaren is life. My dad hears and calls me a fuckhead. I knew he was just jelly of my passion for Fifflaren. I called him a Sw@yer. He hits me and sends me to go to sleep. I'm crying now, and my face hurts. I lay in bed and it's really cold. A warmth is moving towards me. I feel someone touching me. I feel someone touching me. It's Fifflaren. I am so happy. He whispers in my ear; "this is my pyjama". He grabs me with his powerful Swedish hands and puts me on my hands and knees. I'm ready. I spread my ass cheeks for Fifflaren. He penetrates my butt-hole. It hurts so much but I do it for Fifflaren. I can feel my butt tearing as my eyes start to water. I push against his force. I want to please Fifflaren. He roars a viking roar as he fills my butt with his love. My dad walks in. Fifflaren looks straight into his eyes and says; "He is a ninja now". Fifflaren is love, Fifflaren is life 

Oh look, a sales pitch for platinum memory. 

It's on a vendor's website and they link to no source. Smells like bogus science to me, because other similar tests concluded otherwise.

And this would mean that haswell's IMC has deteriorated since Ivy. Which would be extremely stupid.

Simply not fast enough? Spend 60% more on memory and get as much for a 2% performance bump in one game? Great idea.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

It was a cool read, but really.. If this was REALLY true and it REALLY affected everything..

People would have known. Or at least other tech websites would have said anything about it..

Yeah I was going to say that it still looked fast enough to me. They say 5% or whatever, but in their real world tests it really doesn't translate to much.

Interesting that Corsair (who sells Memory) tries to justify faster and more expensive memory... :/ Im running 2400Mhz anyway G.Skill ftw! :P

Core i7 4820K  |  NH-D14 | Rampage IV Extreme | Asus R9 280X DC2T | 8GB G.Skill TridentX | 120GB Samsung 840 | NZXT H440  |  Be quiet! Dark Power Pro 10 650W

I am somewhat impressed with the 10% fps improvement in SCII... I smell cherry picking there.

The rest is not a surprise.  I mean what does 16 GB of 2400MHz RAM rated at 10-12-12-32 go for?  $250?  It better damn well be faster than 1600MHz at CAS 9.

DAAAAMN:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/corsair-memory-cmd16gx3m2a2400c10

But wait, I found these:  http://pcpartpicker.com/part/team-memory-txd316g2400hc10qdc01

There is a difference between memory that is "not fast enough" and memory that isn't the best performing one.

Simply not fast enough? Spend 60% more on memory and get as much for a 2% performance bump in one game? Great idea.

Oh look, a sales pitch for platinum memory.  

It's on a vendor's website and they link to no source. Smells like bogus science to me, because other similar tests concluded otherwise.

And this would mean that haswell's IMC has deteriorated since Ivy. Which would be extremely stupid.

It was a cool read, but really.. If this was REALLY true and it REALLY affected everything that much

All of the above and

CG_Primary_WEB_1A.jpg

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

KennyS and ScreaM are my role models in CSGO.

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

All of the above and

Gotta grab dat money yo.

Ryzen 3700x -Evga RTX 2080 Super- Msi x570 Gaming Edge - G.Skill Ripjaws 3600Mhz RAM - EVGA SuperNova G3 750W -500gb 970 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 850 Evo - 250Gb Samsung 840 Evo  - 4Tb WD Blue- NZXT h500 - ROG Swift PG348Q

All of the above and

-trampstamp-

Dat trampstamp though!

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Well yeah, it's simply not fast enough for Haswell.......When it comes to people getting their bragging rights a.k.a. the top chart in the online benchmark numbers, and people who want to hide their huge-ass loads of money in the profits of the memory companies... ;)

Click here to claim your free Linus plushie.

Dat trampstamp though!

Would have been better if it was 2 Karambits 

It's not a bug, it's an undocumented feature!

We have seen this quite some time ago but I dont think its true. Anyway, if you got 1600MHz you can just OC it a little if you are worried. I dont think that anyone would notice any performance increase anyway.

This sounds like corsair trying to sell memory to me. I don't have a haswell system, but if I run my memory in single channel, I get zero performance difference for games. 

Personally I'd like to see some other tests. 

Aside from start craft 2 (lol), they are showing applications that actually have always benefited from faster memory, not games.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

This sounds like corsair trying to sell memory to me. I don't have a haswell system, but if I run my memory in single channel, I get zero performance difference for games. 

Personally I'd like to see some other tests. 

For single vs dual channel here you go.

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

CPU: i3-4130 Motherboard: Gigabyte H81M-S2PH RAM: 8GB Kingston hyperx fury HDD: WD caviar black 1TB GPU: MSI 750TI twin frozr II Case: Aerocool Xpredator X3 PSU: Corsair RM650

Lol, I run my DDR3 kits at 800MHz and I have not noticed any difference over 1333MHz and 1600MHz. Even when I'm playing games with MSI afterburner monitoring (and fraps).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Lol, I run my DDR3 kits at 800MHz and I have not noticed any difference over 1333MHz and 1600MHz. Even when I'm playing games with MSI afterburner monitoring (and fraps).

How did you know it runs at 800MHZ ??

ﷲ   Muslim Member  ﷲ

That shows what Corsair is...

I have their RAM, and I love the kit, but I don't like the brand that much...

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

For single vs dual channel here you go.

thanks. I saw what I expected to see. If you see where I edited my last comment 

Aside from start craft 2 (lol), they are showing applications that actually have always benefited from faster memory, not games.

Certain things, like file compression and video encoding definitely benefit from faster memory, and this is my issue with the corsair benchmark- they primarily sell to gamers, and this makes so little difference in games. 

Really surprised me that handbrake and premier were faster on single channel. I wonder why. I know adobe can be trashy here and there performance wise, but I don't know about handbrake. I do use it, but I've never really used it enough to have complaints like I do with adobe products. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Now for a vendor that doesn't sell high speed & high price memory to repeat their tests ;)

And yes the Haswell IMC is certainly capable of more than DDR3-1600, doesn't mean it justifies spending more.

1600mhz should be fine for most people but hey 1333 is where you feel the slooooooow part in it.

but pretty much 1866 or higher you won't be needing unless what crap you do utilize it or unless just want it >.< I'm more for higher ram speed so long as my wallet allows just for kicks.

Live your life like a dream.